Building around AD and LeBron next season

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Building around AD and LeBron next season 

Post#1 » by Kilroy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:52 am

So assuming we don't trade AD, and we're going to end up with an AD and LeBron core next season, how would you build around them?

Do you use Westbrook's expiring to go after a different wing/guard type player, or do you target a C to get AD out of the "Danger Zone?"

Do you go for the biggest name available, or do you try to do take the buckshot approach?

Give me your at least somewhat, reality-based approach... I mean if you have a rumor somewhere that KD is ready to leave brooklyn and wants to join the lakers, post it and we'll call that 'reality.'... Otherwise, let's leave the 'LeBron calls Giannis and bam... He's in LA' stuff out of the equation...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Re: Building around AD and LeBron next season 

Post#2 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:58 am

No ... No .... Just Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

No way in hell you rebuild around AD who is injured half the season - just no

Full rebuild is needed
Bring back Defense
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#3 » by ROballer » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:18 am

You don't build around a 38 yr old.

The FO made the right call not including 1st round picks in deals. By 2027 or so, those might be lottery picks.

Lebron James has been great and all. But for the past two years, availability has been an issue and more and more nagging injuries surfaced that made him miss a bunch of games.

And he's clearly leaving after next year. That's not even a supposition, but a 100% certainty. He'll probably ringchase for one more year on a stacked team(probably Cleveland) and the year after he's signing with the team that drafts his son.
The guy even admitted that, he clearly stated it.

You don't throw all your eggs into the Lebron basket, when he's spending 1 more year here. That's just idiotic on so many levels.

Full rebuild please. Cleveland first time, Miami, Cleveland second time....all have gotten absolutely NOTHING for him when he left.
We can undo that wrong in the summer.

The world and this franchise doesn't end with Lebron. We do have a future after him and it would be moronic to try and appease him for a mere one season before he leaves and throw that immediate future into the trash.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#4 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:12 am

Ok, so assuming we keep AD (or can't move him), then I would look to make splash. My mostly, but not completely unreal scenario would be a trade between Lillard and Westbrook. I know...I know. This is entirely dependent apon Lillard wanting to come to the Lakers. But if he did, I think Portland would consider it a good thing that Westbrook has 1 season left. Perhaps we sweeten the deal with our 2027 first round pick. And further sweeten by offering THT for Bledsoe....so they can go full youth / rebuild. The long shot there is Lillard wanting to come to Lakers. But if he did, I think Portland does him a solid. They prob just sit Westbrook. Perhaps a buyout?

In other words....try to lure a want-away star with our one-year deal. I think Lillard is a player worth going all-chips-in for. He and AD would be our core for 3-4 years. If we are not able to move AD this offseason (per our assumption) then we prob won't be able to the following either, right? So if you can somehow swap Westbrook and his 1 remaining year for a star who wants a move, and it's a good fit, then I think you try this one last time.

The other scenario I could see would be the rumor that Donovan Mitchell is frustrated with Gobert, and feel like the Jazz have reached their peak, and its not good enough. Would they be willing to take the 1 year of Westbrook? Or could we work out a 3-way deal? Maybe Lillard goes to Utah (would he want that??) We take not only Gobert, but get someone like Conley, and move THT in that deal.

Utah sheds a sh**-ton of salary. They would prob have to part with a couple picks in this deal. But now they not only have Lillard, but they prob can sign someone semi-decent as well.

Portland moves their star...but now has a couple of picks from Utah (maybe a young player), and only 1 year on Westbrook. Rebuild on the way.

Lakers bring in Gobert, and Conley. We're stuck with them for a bit....but holy hell that's gonna be better than Wetbrook. Can AD - Gobert, Conley, and Lebron do some damage? I like the sound of that team 50 times better than Westbrook.

I feel like all teams involved not named the Lakers could do a bit better than that, but I think there is some appeal for Utah there. We don't have the goods that some do...but if we're willing to suck up Conley's salary...that has value. Portland would never do either scenario I laid out.....unless this was something Lillard asked for. I think there is a way (especially with a couple Utah picks, and maybe even our 27 first) to sweeten it enough that they go along.

But are you ready for 4 years of AD and Gobert? And 3 years of old-arse Conley? This really puts us in a bad way once Lebron leaves, but the question is, do you think you can squeeze a title out of that turnip?

Barring that crazy S......I say sit tight. We have 1 more year of Lebron and Russ. If Lebron screams to the heavens, then maybe we can get some picks for him (prob could). Would feel nice to put the squeeze on another team for once. Teams would do stupid things to get Lebron on their squad for a season. If he stays....the we suck it up for another year.....watch Lebron get the points title, and then go from there. It's still the Lakers. They will have AD, and a ton of cap space. If all goes well....perhaps AD stays on the floor for the bulk of 2023, and we are able to move him for some picks/young guys.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#5 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:28 am

One thing to point out as well is to forget about super teams ie: 3 star players ... They need to get two solid star players and and fill the rest of the team with, solid role players - I'm tired of 3 stars and then not having enough $$$ to add decent players and just filling the gaps - with little $$$
Bring back Defense
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#6 » by Ball so hard » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:35 am

No team is going to trade their franchise player for salary cap relief and filler. THT is clearly not a well sought after asset, considering he was rumored to have been offered in several offers that no team accepted. Teams rebuild with promising young assets and several draft picks, both of which we do not have at the moment.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#7 » by Ball so hard » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:44 am

If Lebron decides that he wants out I think we should do right by him. I think he deserves that much. On another note he’s always came across as a douchebag to me. I know it’s not totally rational, but I can’t wait until he’s gone, even if it means being a crap team for a few years.

I might boycott this team for good if we decide to build around AD. The talent is not the issue, it’s everything else.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:23 am

Kilroy wrote:So assuming we don't trade AD, and we're going to end up with an AD and LeBron core next season, how would you build around them?

Do you use Westbrook's expiring to go after a different wing/guard type player, or do you target a C to get AD out of the "Danger Zone?"

Do you go for the biggest name available, or do you try to do take the buckshot approach?

Give me your at least somewhat, reality-based approach... I mean if you have a rumor somewhere that KD is ready to leave brooklyn and wants to join the lakers, post it and we'll call that 'reality.'... Otherwise, let's leave the 'LeBron calls Giannis and bam... He's in LA' stuff out of the equation...

Main needs in order are a Point of Attack PG defender (G), then a big wing defender (SF), then a C that can switch to perimeter (C). All added players should all be above average rebounders for their position.

Lakers need a playmaker so keeping Westbrook does mean Lakers don't need more playmaking
- One clever option might be to get Westbrook to opt-out and sign a 1+1 PO contract for $56m/2 (27m next season and 29m season after). This gives Westbrook a defacto NTC so he definitely stays another year with the Lakers. But it allows Lakers to use the 10m MLE and 4m BAE on the G, SF and C in the offseason.
- Look to trade THT+FRPs for the G, SF and C.
Example: THT+FRPs for Melton+Tillman, use 10m MLE and 4m BAE on Covington and Kyle Anderson
Melton, Westbrook, Covington, LeBron, Davis -- Nunn, Reaves, Anderson, Melo, Tillman

I don't think Lakers should try keep Monk if they keep Westbrook. Because the POA PG is needed and a wing defender is needed to start with Westbrook, LeBron, Davis.

Lakers decide to trade Westbrook and therefore need one of the G or SF to be a playmaker as well
- Trade Westrbook+FRPs for the playmaking G, playmaking SF and C
Example: Westbrook+FRPs for Rozier+Hayward then use 6m TaxMLE on Monk and use VetMin on TT
Rozier, Monk, Hayward, LeBron, Davis -- Nunn, Reaves, THT, Melo, TT
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,284

Post#9 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:58 pm

Option A, Build around Lebron and AD.. for now and let them recruit the true Legitimate 3rd star. There are only 2 Allstars I can think of right now who are frustrated and are likely request a trade. Bradley Beal and Lillard. I can't see Washington agreeing to take back Russ even with his expiring contract. Lillard might reconsider LA but I can see other teams offering better options for them but for me Lebron is a good recruiter. There are reports now that Zion is thinking of bolting out too but I wouldn't touch this guy.
Hiring Terry Stotts might help sway Lillards decision towards the Lakers. IMO.
Option B- Do a full rebuild. Let Lebron go and offer AD to other teams. I don't mind the AD/Zach Lavine/Vucevic swap or AD/Brogdon+Turner trade.
Yes, Lakers will have a ton of cap space when Russ leaves esp if Lebron don't resign but I don't like uncertainties. I still remember Chicago boasted about the money they can offer and Duncan and other stars never even considered going there.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:13 pm

The way I see it... Unless one of the top players in the league becomes available... Giannis, KD, Joker, Doncic, Morant, Embiid, etc...
It doesn't make much sense trading AD. Even if LeBron decided he wanted to leave, AD is still probably a top 10-15 player in the league when healthy... But since he isn't, you're probably not going to get fair return for him anyway...
I wanted to trade him last summer, so obviously, if the right deal pops up, then of course... Ship him... I just don't think we'll find a deal that isn't more of a weak rebuild deal, rather than an improvement...

If LeBron stays, he's still one of the best players in the league on one end of the floor... If he doesn't want to stay then all bets are off... You're not going to be able to trade a player like LeBron, so maybe he sits...
But if he wants to play and give it at least one more run, I think it's possible to build a contender around LeBron and AD, if you're smart and lucky... We were neither this season and we made it tougher as a result... But I still think it's possible if we can get lucky on a Westbrook trade, and if we can find the right mix of free agents.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#11 » by TylersLakers » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:36 pm

Option A is to certainly build around AD and LeBron and do a much better job of it.

My first call would be to Indiana. See if they want to clear out long term salary. If they do:

-Westbrook, THT, 2027 1st, 2029 1st for Malcolm Brogdon, Buddy Hield, TJ McConnell
-Re-sign Monk on a 1 year deal with the tax-payer MLE with the promise he'll be paid when the Lakers acquire his bird rights.
-Melo back on a 1 year deal.

Brogdon/Hield/Reaves/LeBron/AD

with McConnell, Monk, Nunn, Melo, Stanley off the bench.

And every other minimum signing has to be a player who's 6'6" - 6'8" with athleticism or perimeter defenders. My hopes: Gary Harris, TJ Warren, Derrick Jones, Josh Jackson, Bruce Brown, Otto Porter, Tony Snell, Wes Matthews, Gary Payton II, Bembry. Sign two or three of those guys and build the team properly. Then buy a couple second round picks and draft athletic potential type of players.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#12 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:05 am

Lebron is a meh next season.
He will go where ever Bronny ends up so I will not focus building around him.
AD is injury prone but he is the only piece we have right now that I say we can build around with.
Next season Westbrook is an expiring so I think he will be a trade asset.
Trade Westbrook to whoever is the best player available.
Acquire a decent Center (through Westbrook trade or via free agency)
Bring AD back to playing the 4. AD at 5 is clearly not working as his body can't handle it.
Keep Reaves.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#13 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:55 am

Reaves and Monk are the only 2 players I'd keep for the future

Trade and let go of everyone else and I mean everyone
Bring back Defense
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#14 » by Kilroy » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:07 pm

If we don't have AD and LeBron, none of our players are 'keepers'... They're all assets until we get the core talent to contend again.
That said... Reaves, Nunn, Monk, THT, Johnson are all solid young players, who are fun to watch... With the exception of Nunn obviously, they all have decent chemistry too... Sign Johnson, Nunn and Munk to reasonable extensions and you have some decent assets there.
In fact a roster of AD, Howard, Ellington, Bradley, THT, Nunn, Monk, Johnson and Reaves, may not win a championship but it's not a bad place to start...

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7539752

Just saying
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:40 pm

Kilroy wrote:The way I see it... Unless one of the top players in the league becomes available... Giannis, KD, Joker, Doncic, Morant, Embiid, etc...
It doesn't make much sense trading AD. Even if LeBron decided he wanted to leave, AD is still probably a top 10-15 player in the league when healthy... But since he isn't, you're probably not going to get fair return for him anyway...
I wanted to trade him last summer, so obviously, if the right deal pops up, then of course... Ship him... I just don't think we'll find a deal that isn't more of a weak rebuild deal, rather than an improvement...

IMO...AD's best years are behind him. His injury issues will only get worse and worse. It's already pretty bad. He's essentially a 50/50 player at this point. So what's the point of having him? All he's gonna get you, is that middle range of just missing the playoffs, but now "out" of the draft lottery. I agree with you that we will almost definitely not get fair return. Probably not close. But I'll argue that his "value" really only comes when there is a Lebron on the team too. By himself, he's gonna be an oft injured player that no star will want to hitch their wagon to.

Now let's say the Suns lose a close WCF series to the Warriors this year. Do the Suns wanna roll the dice??? I think you find a team that's agonizingly close to the promised land.....and you offer them a deal where they still come out on top...but it's not so bad, and you take it. You wait out Lebron and Westbrook (by all means trade Lebron for a pick or two if he demands to be traded) and start the rebuild.

If your able to get a first-round pick, two second-rounders, and maybe a young decent player, and an expiring deal or two for AD....you did what you could to get the rebuild on track. I think you will find a team or two out there who wanna push their pile of chips to the middle. Suns will almost certainly be one of them (assuming no title this year). CP3's window is fast-closing.

Could you fool a Portland into giving you a bunch of picks / youth for AD in the hopes it keeps Lillard around??

I doubt we will be able to pull the wool over anyone completely....but there are always desperate teams. And DAMN is AD good sometimes......
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:52 pm

I'm gonna say the same thing for Lebron. He has a no trade clause....but if he's half as butt-hurt as it sounds, then we can certainly work something out. Lebron is showing he still has it. There would be several playoff-teams who would mortgage the future for a ring. Lebron could get a ring with 4 teams! If we were to somehow walk away this offseason with two or three first-rounders, some second rounders.....maybe a couple "diamonds in the rough" and 40-60 million in 1-year deals....I would be ecstatic.

And no I'm not being pie in the sky. These would be playoff teams...so the first rounders will not be lotto picks. Lebron would be a 1 year deal that would have appeal of it's own for said team. I think we could get quite a haul for Lebron. I wouldn't be surprised if we were able to actually get better.

Let's say the Suns lose in the WCF.....think of the appeal that Lebron (CP3's bud) would have to show up for 1 year....really push that team over the edge...and then walk. No major commitment from the suns. He gets #5....does it with a 4th team at age 30-whatever.

If this team decides to blow it up (and it should)...I think we can get out of this with a semi-bright future.
Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#17 » by Reflexx » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:38 pm

Don't build around LeBron. Just be happy to have him while he's here, but the leadership role needs to pass on to someone else.

I'd have AD play PF/SF. No center at all. They'll get the most out of him if he's playing what he wants to play as opposed to what could be technically "best" for him to play. I think he wants to be a KD-type player. They'll get the most out of him if his role lines up with his goals.

Keep Dwight Howard. It may sound weird, but right now his mindset is probably a stabilizing force. He's been through a lot and he still works hard.

It may be difficult to move Westbrook. But he seems to be figuring things out.

A PG similar to a Gorin Dragic or Jeremy Lin would work well with the 2nd unit if Dwight is playing there. P&R dream. Carmelo seems to have embraced his role, so if he stays I think he'd fit in well.

Then cross fingers.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#18 » by Landsberger » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:06 am

It it's ME making the decision I'd make a 5 year decision knowing that Davis will not be relevant in 5 years and Bron's gone. I don't think it matter who you put beside them next year as I don't think it's feasible to put a championship contender together with the scraps we have even with Westbrook.

Now, how do I think the Lakers front office will play this... they will swing for the fences with Westbrook and probably multiple firsts going forward to get another start. Will it work? probably not but I just don't see the Buss family wanting to rebuild in a traditional sense. We've see the swing for the fences moves regardless of the GM position for nearly a decade now going back to the Howard/Nash offseason.

Best outcome for the next 5 years is an ownership change to someone who's not "living" off the franchise and can risk a few rebuilding years and actually have a multi-year strategy over a reactionary strategy that we are seeing now.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#19 » by Kilroy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:24 am

I think the Lakers FO is going to make a final push to make LeBron happy and comfortable with the moves they have planned, if he's not, they're going to help him get where he wants to be... I think they're done letting him and Klutch call the shots from a personnel perspective... I also wouldn't be surprised to see Magic brought back in in some sort of advisory position...

I don't have any idea what moves they have if lebron stays, or if they just end up with AD... Or if both of them are gone...

But I wouldn't be surprised to hear Rajon Rondo as coach... Regardless of what happens, I think this is Frank V's final run.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#20 » by TylersLakers » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:52 am

Oh yeah, Vogel is done no questions asked.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers