ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you like a full rebuild next year or wait 1 more? Poll

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Would you be ok with FULL REBUILD NEXT YEAR OR WAIT 1 MORE YEAR

Yes full rebuild next year
64%
No - Let's give Bron one more year IF he stays?
24%
Other - Wait 1 more year for a full rebuild.
12%

Total votes: 50

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#1 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:25 am

Short and sweet thread unlike this season...

I realize that Bron has 1 more year with Lakers if he chooses to stay - Player option ???

AD has like 3-4 years left?? - No I don't want to keep him no matter what

WB Is still signed for next year IF Lakers can't trade OR don't go with paying him not to play ie Deng.

HOW WOULD YOU GUYS/GIRLS BE INTERESTED IN DOING A FULL REBUILD NEXT YEAR AND JUST STARTING A YEAR EARLY?

With out any of the above or anyone else - As explained b4 only keepers are; Reaves and Monk - everyone else can go IMO.

I just can't watch another year of Bron - heck barely even watched this year to be honest- more highlights than actual games.
Bring back Defense
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Re: Would you like a full rebuild next year or wait 1 more? Poll 

Post#2 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:46 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:HOW WOULD YOU GUYS/GIRLS BE INTERESTED IN DOING A FULL REBUILD NEXT YEAR AND JUST STARTING A YEAR EARLY?

With out any of the above or anyone else - As explained b4 only keepers are; Reaves and Monk - everyone else can go IMO.

I just can't watch another year of Bron - heck barely even watched this year to be honest- more highlights than actual games.

Would like a rebuild, but don't get your hopes up. Lebron has another year, and a no-trade clause. It's pretty unlikely we will be able to move Russ. If we do, it's gonna be for pennies on the dollar. And of course AD is on the books for 3 more seasons after this. Lebron has said he wants to stay a Laker. Your not gonna get anything close to value for AD right now, and your most likely not gonna get squat for Westbrook. All our picks are gone....so rebuild with what?

If they were able to get Lebron on board for a trade, and were able to somehow squeeze 3 first rounders, and some second rounders for all our "talent".....I would be totally on board. But it ain't happening.

Let's just hope we can ship off Westbrook in the offseason. Even if it's for marbles. Addition by subtraction. And Melo too. We tried the old man roster, and that was a colossal failure. Our options will be limited, but I'm sure we won't do that again. Not saying title...but it should be a squad worth watching. 2 horrible years by AD.....does the math say he's due for a good year?
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#3 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:53 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:HOW WOULD YOU GUYS/GIRLS BE INTERESTED IN DOING A FULL REBUILD NEXT YEAR AND JUST STARTING A YEAR EARLY?

Would like a rebuild, but don't get your hopes up. Lebron has another year, and a no-trade clause. It's pretty unlikely we will be able to move Russ. If we do, it's gonna be for pennies on the dollar. And of course AD is on the books for 3 more seasons after this. Lebron has said he wants to stay a Laker. Your not gonna get anything close to value for AD right now, and your most likely not gonna get squat for Westbrook. All our picks are gone....so rebuild with what?

If they were able to get Lebron on board for a trade, and were able to somehow squeeze 3 first rounders, and some second rounders for all our "talent".....I would be totally on board. But it ain't happening.

Let's just hope we can ship off Westbrook in the offseason. Even if it's for marbles. Addition by subtraction. And Melo too. We tried the old man roster, and that was a colossal failure. Our options will be limited, but I'm sure we won't do that again. Not saying title...but it should be a squad worth watching. 2 horrible years by AD.....does the math say he's due for a good year?

Yeh wasn't sure If Bron's contract was player option or what not, let's hope he decides to leave and do us all a favor

I don't think I'm going to watch another season with him, depends if we/Lakers can get someone else I like;) and even though I do like WB he just isn't a good fit for this team and not a fan of AD what so ever
Bring back Defense
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#4 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:05 am

I'll wait one more year. I want to see AD back in playing the 4 full time first. Let's start from there.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#5 » by Landsberger » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:17 am

dAdo dA dEvil wrote:I'll wait one more year. I want to see AD back in playing the 4 full time first. Let's start from there.

There is an 80% chance AD never plays "full time" anything... He falls down shooting fade away jumpers from 18' with no contact. This is a high as his value will be and he's the only asset that will bring anything back in return. SELL.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#6 » by Landsberger » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:19 am

I want to see a full.... and I mean FULL rebuild starting with the Owner and not bringing back the star players to run anything they aren't qualified to run..... or their wives either for that matter.

The franchise has been in panic mode it seems since Kobe's achilles injury.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#7 » by Kilroy » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:08 am

You don't do a full rebuild in a single off season... If LeBron wants to stay, then we're not rebuilding, that simple...

I'd love to just say f-LeBron and trade him, but the reality is, there isn't a player in the league who is capable of becoming a bigger distraction than leBron if he ends up in a situation he doesn't want... So no team is going to just trade for him without making sure he's cool with it first...

If LeBron decides to leave, we're going to have a tough decision with AD... I'd bet he stays...

If both AD and LeBron decide they want out, then we're rebuilding whether we're ready or not... And it won't be done in a single offseason...

How long it takes depends a lot on what free agents are available... I'd say, if LeBron and AD aren't on the team next season, we're looking at 5 seasons minimum before we're in the hunt again.

All of which is to say, be careful what you wish for and realistic about what it means...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,966

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 am

5 years is very optimistic. Wolves landed a young stud in KAT and it's been 7 years since that. Lakers don't have a chance for a top pick for several years.

I'd say 7-10 years until you're in the hunt if you try for a rebuild in the offseason.

Honestly, there's also no chance they'd trash their star-friendly rep to force it either. As Kilroy says, only real way it happens is if LeBron and AD want out.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#9 » by Slava » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:04 am

Cap space and star power is more valuable to the Lakers than lottery picks and the uncertainty that implicitly comes with them. The Lakers should look to hopefully find a better GM who can put the right pieces around LeBron and AD and give it another go next season. Last season was a write off due to the bubble fatigue, this season is hopefully a lesson learnt in not sinking all your chips into misfits due to brand name recognition alone. Hopefully there is a trade that nets competent depth pieces for Westbrook's expiring deal and picks.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:54 pm

All this talk about Malik Monk... Doesn't sound like they're planning on a rebuild... Or if they are, they're focusing on the wrong guy...

I like Malik Monk, but he's a 6th man on the cheap at best... Not the dude you shape your future around...
EggIsCooling
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#11 » by EggIsCooling » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:03 pm

Lakers already tried the "rebuild" route during Jimmy's era when no superstars would want to play for the Lakers, and that didn't workout too well. Then, Jeannie pulled a power move and got Jimmy out and things started to change. Magic, to his credit, got Lebron to signed on, wheels started turning, and ultimately got AD. With fitted and well blended chemistry supporting players, mainly Rondo, KCP, Kuzma, Caruso, Greene, D12, and Javelle, the 2020 Championship was delivered.

So unless Lebron and AD want out, you have to roll with your superstars, and combine it with the right way to build a team similar to 2020. With Lebron's age and AD's injuries prone issue, I think the Lakers need a stud of a coach with an offensive genius mind to bring in a system and identity that will maximize the roster's strengths by putting players in positions on the floor to be successful and not by exposing them to the other teams' strengths. Please no more recycling a coach through the NBA pool but give someone new a chance even if one is available within the college ranks. There are plenty of gems to hire through the college ranks, don't believe me, just watch March Madness. Once a coach is hired, then you start assembling the team with players that will fit the coach's system. The Lakers need to get younger and a young coach with a younger roster next year would seem like the most reasonable approach, but who the hell know without knowing who is actually making the decisions with this current front office. Once Westbrook is gone, things will be a lot more clearer (no doubt).

The Lakers have always been in alignment with superstars of the league. That is always been the Lakers' lore and its mystic. We have 2 in Lebron and AD to build around to which most teams would love to have, so let's roll with them for another year.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#12 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:46 pm

Kilroy wrote:All this talk about Malik Monk... Doesn't sound like they're planning on a rebuild... Or if they are, they're focusing on the wrong guy...

I like Malik Monk, but he's a 6th man on the cheap at best... Not the dude you shape your future around...

We always talk about needing a good 3rd star and while Monk isn't a star he would be a good 3rd option to be had and since we already got him and don't have to go searching for one that's a bonus

But you have to agree, Reaves Is a lock up no matter what :) he my boy.
Bring back Defense
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#13 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:48 pm

I just can't wait until these 3 players are off the team, but even after Bron/WB I think we'll still be stuck with AD unless someone wants him and we can pull off a trade for him - He is just too injury prone and no matter how good he is when healthy, you don't keep him after Bron and try to rebuild around him.

Trying to rebuild a team around an injury prone player like AD just isn't the way to go IMO
Bring back Defense
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#14 » by Kilroy » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:10 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:All this talk about Malik Monk... Doesn't sound like they're planning on a rebuild... Or if they are, they're focusing on the wrong guy...

We always talk about needing a good 3rd star and while Monk isn't a star he would be a good 3rd option to be had and since we already got him and don't have to go searching for one that's a bonus

I don't think we have Monk's bird rights, so we don't really 'have' him beyond this season... And he's not a 3rd option on a winning team.
Reaves is a free agent after this season, and he's done enough to get noticed. I doubt he's here next season unless he really wants to be. I'd love to keep him for the right price, but he's still not much of a priority.

Everything revolves around what we can do with Westbrook... We don't have the luxury of detailed want lists beyond that.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#15 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:17 pm

Kilroy wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:

I don't think we have Monk's bird rights, so we don't really 'have' him beyond this season... And he's not a 3rd option on a winning team.
Reaves is a free agent after this season, and he's done enough to get noticed. I doubt he's here next season unless he really wants to be. I'd love to keep him for the right price, but he's still not much of a priority.

Everything revolves around what we can do with Westbrook... We don't have the luxury of detailed want lists beyond that.

No I don't think We/Lakers have Monks Bird rights, but he says he loves it in LA so let's hope they still can keep him and he still wants to be in LA after playing with Bron

And as I recently found out that Reaves went undrafted because he wanted to play for Lakers - Let's hope that's still the case:) and is a lifer :)

Yeh only way Lakers can keep Monk does revolve around WB - If they want to keep Monk that is.
Bring back Defense
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,810

Post#16 » by TylersLakers » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:12 pm

Unless a crazy trade offer comes for AD, I'm keeping him and LeBron next season. We will have a path to get rid of Westbrook whether it's via trade or stretch provision.

If those two are mostly healthy and we don't have Westbrook pulling them back, they're a Finals contender. Put the proper pieces around those two and we try again.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#17 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:30 am

Landsberger wrote:
dAdo dA dEvil wrote:I'll wait one more year. I want to see AD back in playing the 4 full time first. Let's start from there.

There is an 80% chance AD never plays "full time" anything... He falls down shooting fade away jumpers from 18' with no contact. This is a high as his value will be and he's the only asset that will bring anything back in return. SELL.

I mean playing AD as a full time power forward. Ditch the idea of him playing center. His body can't handle it. If someone needs to go or to be traded it's Russ. Trade Russ for a C who can defend and grab boards. We hit rebuild button after LeBron's contract.
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#18 » by xinxin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:41 am

One full year with Lebron and AD. With the assumption that WB is out by the off-season.

I think Lebron has one good year left , & hoping AD goes back to 2020 AD..

They can keep Reaves, Monk, Gabriel & maybe Stanley Johnson. Get rid of everyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#19 » by Reflexx » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:36 pm

No. I want a head coach that matches the strength of the world-class trainers, coaching staff, and player strengths.

This team is built for fast offense and needs to be relentless in being who they are.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#20 » by Kilroy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:11 pm

The problem with AD at the 4 is that we have yet to find a 5 that plays well next to him... And we've tried a lot.

I don't think the positions matter that much to keeping AD healthy and happy, it's the mix of players... I'm starting to warm to the idea that we need a defensive hybrid 3/4 in between AD and LeBron more than anything... Thinking like a Marcus Smart... Who I really have not liked throughout his career... But like a Dray Green-type player, who can shoulder the load for both AD and LeBron depending on the matchup...
That actually might be priority 1 for us in the offseason if we don't find a new home for one or both of AD and LeBron...
Maybe Stanley Johnson could be that dude... IDK... Randle used to be an incredible defender for us, maybe we try to see about a Westbrook to NY deal again...

Then we need a solid Defensive PG... Right now, if you watch closely, you'll see we have THT taking on big PFs and Cs in the paint, because LeBron can't be bothered to defend those guys... If we had a big 3/4 who could D those guys up, THT could just focus on defending 1-3 and then all we'd need is a solid Shooter...
If we had better D, Ellington as a pure shooter would be pretty deadly... Keeping Melo as the 6th man and having a starting 5 of AD, Smart, LeBron, THT, Ellington, with Melo and whoever else off the bench would win games and might be enough to get us to the WCF.

I know Smart is a long shot, but a guy like him again...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers