ImageImageImageImageImage

Coaching and GM Changes - Update: Vogel fired, Pelinka next?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Coaching and GM Changes - Update: Vogel fired, Pelinka next? 

Post#41 » by Landsberger » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:05 am

sonnyhill wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:How about making LeBron James the team's player-coach?

Bill Russell, Lenny Wilkens, and Al Attles were previous player-coaches.

Why not dust off Magic and let him Coach, be GM, President of Basketball operations and a back up guard off the bench.... While I joke.... if it happened it would most likely be a better option than letting Bron coach.

Are you opposed to having one person both as a player and as a coach or are you just opposed to LeBron as the player-coach?

Russell, Wilkens, and Attles did quite well wearing both hats; Russell even won a championship (against the Lakers) while playing and coaching, too.

Also, if not LeBron, then who would your recommend Jeanie, Rob and the Rambis couple look to hire to coach the team?

Why are you interested in Bron as both? Is it that he's not been fully utilized by our coaches? What can he do that he isn't already doing? 99.9% of NBA players have not coached nor would they be good at it. How may team entrust their team to a completely inexperienced coach?

The Coach will not make a difference in the teams ability to win a championship with LeBron.... the GM might.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,284

Post#42 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:37 pm

Landsberger wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
Why not dust off Magic and let him Coach, be GM, President of Basketball operations and a back up guard off the bench.... While I joke.... if it happened it would most likely be a better option than letting Bron coach.

Are you opposed to having one person both as a player and as a coach or are you just opposed to LeBron as the player-coach?

Russell, Wilkens, and Attles did quite well wearing both hats; Russell even won a championship (against the Lakers) while playing and coaching, too.

Also, if not LeBron, then who would your recommend Jeanie, Rob and the Rambis couple look to hire to coach the team?

Why are you interested in Bron as both? Is it that he's not been fully utilized by our coaches? What can he do that he isn't already doing? 99.9% of NBA players have not coached nor would they be good at it. How may team entrust their team to a completely inexperienced coach?

The Coach will not make a difference in the teams ability to win a championship with LeBron.... the GM might.

I heard the league will not allow it, mostly bec the team can basically manipulate the player/coach salary like Lebron as a player only gets 1 Mil and 40 Mil as a coach. Lakers now can lower their payroll and increase their ability to sign good players...
I disagree with your point though. I firmly believe Spoelstra, esp Lue and yes even Vogel all made a difference in Lebron's teams ability to win it all IMO.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#43 » by sonnyhill » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:18 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

I heard the league will not allow it, mostly bec the team can basically manipulate the player/coach salary like Lebron as a player only gets 1 Mil and 40 Mil as a coach. Lakers now can lower their payroll and increase their ability to sign good players...
I disagree with your point though. I firmly believe Spoelstra, esp Lue and yes even Vogel all made a difference in Lebron's teams ability to win it all IMO.

News to me about the league not allowing for the dual role of player-coach; makes sense.

Perhaps Jeanie should consider taking a page from the recent Raider ownership playbook; fire Rob; hire as a duo both a new GM and a new coach; and let them make roster decisions moving forward.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#44 » by Landsberger » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:03 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

The [u][b]

At this age with the supporting cast we have.... or will have? A 30 year old LeBron made just about any coach look good.

To win with Bron at this age the coach will need to control Bron's minutes and force the ball out of this hand down the stretch. I don't see that coach if we did have that person Bron would want out. Aging Superstars are the last to know they are declining.
Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#45 » by Reflexx » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:32 am

Landsberger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:The Lakers should bring back Mike D'antoni, keep Westbrook, and bring in Jeremy Lin as backup PG.

Why? So we can prove yet again that a team chucking 40 3's a game will not truly contend?

It's been proven multiple times that teams doing so do contend.

This isn't the 90's anymroe.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#46 » by Landsberger » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:42 pm

Reflexx wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:The Lakers should bring back Mike D'antoni, keep Westbrook, and bring in Jeremy Lin as backup PG.

Why? So we can prove yet again that a team chucking 40 3's a game will not truly contend?

It's been proven multiple times that teams doing so do contend.

This isn't the 90's anymroe.

Links please.... that show true contention in terms of multiple finals and not just playoffs.

If every team is chucking then some will contend.

To my knowledge, the only team that used the 3 as a focus to win was GS the first time over a Cleveland team missing 3 of their starters. They lost the next year and then got Durant who offset the inconsistency from deep with over 50% from 2 point range as the leading scorer and shooter down the stretch.

You can go back to the early 80's and find teams with higher pace and higher scoring than we have today while playing 82 games in 4 less weeks. They shot less than 10 3's a game. Doug Moe was a far better version of D'antoni for example.

The idea of a "modern" game is what's silly. There is the game.... it changes.... and the quality of the game has dropped off significantly in the "we want to be like GS" era. Just because the game is different doesn't mean it's progressing.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#47 » by Landsberger » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:How about making LeBron James the team's player-coach?

Bill Russell, Lenny Wilkens, and Al Attles were previous player-coaches.

Explain to me the advantage of having a current player coach vs a coach who's actually experienced in... you know.... coaching.

The dynamics on the floor, in the locker room and off the floor would change immensely.

I can't think of an advantage at all for LeBron. He does what he wants to do now. It's not like the coach is holding him back.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#48 » by tamaraw08 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:03 am

sonnyhill wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

News to me about the league not allowing for the dual role of player-coach; makes sense.

Perhaps Jeanie should consider taking a page from the recent Raider ownership playbook; fire Rob; hire as a duo both a new GM and a new coach; and let them make roster decisions moving forward.

And what was the reason why Thibs, SVG and Rivers failed when they assumed those 2 roles again?
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#49 » by tamaraw08 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:17 am

Landsberger wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

The [u][b]

At this age with the supporting cast we have.... or will have? A 30 year old LeBron made just about any coach look good.

To win with Bron at this age the coach will need to control Bron's minutes and force the ball out of this hand down the stretch. I don't see that coach if we did have that person Bron would want out. Aging Superstars are the last to know they are declining.

That coach would have been Ty Lue whom I heard would stand his ground and show Lebron Videos and stats to support his points. Lebron would usually argue but if that coach is smart enough to handle it then Lebron would eventually back off even with Spoelstra before.
Those isos in the perimeter late in the game were very ugly and I bet Lebron would agree but his counter argument is the lack of great schemes and esp lack of legit scorers. No way they would have beaten GSW without Kyrie and it’s not like Lebron dominated the ball late during that Finals. He is an aging superstar but he’s not your typical old icon. If he thinks he’s superman then he wouldn’t have pushed for Westbrook to come here imo
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#50 » by Landsberger » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:27 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

That coach would have been Ty Lue whom I heard would stand his ground and show Lebron Videos and stats to support his points. Lebron would usually argue but if that coach is smart enough to handle it then Lebron would eventually back off even with Spoelstra before.
Those isos in the perimeter late in the game were very ugly and I bet Lebron would agree but his counter argument is the lack of great schemes and esp lack of legit scorers. No way they would have beaten GSW without Kyrie and it’s not like Lebron dominated the ball late during that Finals. He is an aging superstar but he’s not your typical old icon. If he thinks he’s superman then he wouldn’t have pushed for Westbrook to come here imo

I agree.... but here's the key part of this. He's the best option we have to close games.... and it's not close. Davis isn't a guy who's shown any desire to do that.... Westbrook?! I think even his mom would agree it's not him. Then who. Who would Lue work his "magic" with? We're not trading Westbrook for a closer type.

We have 1 more year of this hopefully, then, on to the rebuild.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#51 » by tamaraw08 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:41 am

Landsberger wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

I agree.... but here's the key part of this. He's the best option we have to close games.... and it's not close. Davis isn't a guy who's shown any desire to do that.... Westbrook?! I think even his mom would agree it's not him. Then who. Who would Lue work his "magic" with? We're not trading Westbrook for a closer type.

We have 1 more year of this hopefully, then, on to the rebuild.

I can’t see Lue allowing Lebron to dribble 22 seconds in the perimeter and just settle for a 26 footer. He will draw a misdirection or staggered screens, put shooters in their sweet spots etc, he’ll try to free up AD in the weak side by cutting backdoor etc. Clippers won many close games the past 2 seasons for a reason imo.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#52 » by stan francisco » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:13 am

Bring Phil Jackson back. Carry him around if needed. Nick Nurse and Scott Brooks and Monty Williams are coaches I’ve wanted here in the past. Who is next up from the younger generation of coaches in the league?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by sonnyhill » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:32 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:I heard the league will not allow it, mostly bec the team can basically manipulate the player/coach salary like Lebron as a player only gets 1 Mil and 40 Mil as a coach. Lakers now can lower their payroll and increase their ability to sign good players...

And what was the reason why Thibs, SVG and Rivers failed when they assumed those 2 roles again?

Good question. Let me clarify: I am not advocating that one person is empowered to run the front office and coach the team. With reference to the Raiders, Mark Davis just recently hired Zeigler to run the front office and McDaniels to coach the team. Both had worked together at New England and may be in simpatico and in alignment with roster construction and on-the-field implementation- and-production.

I am not advocating that the team hires any one person or two people; but rather, I am a proponent of having the front office in alignment with the coaching staff.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#54 » by sonnyhill » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:34 pm

stan francisco wrote:Bring Phil Jackson back. Carry him around if needed. Nick Nurse and Scott Brooks and Monty Williams are coaches I’ve wanted here in the past. Who is next up from the younger generation of coaches in the league?

Interesting suggestion about Phil Jackson. He is already working as a "consultant" to the front office. https://www.sportscasting.com/lakers-consultancy-phil-jackson-speaks-to-structural-failures/
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#55 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm

Phil, Jeannie, Rambis, etc, we all know the ups and downs, good and bad, negatives positives, but 2020 has given some slack. Since the new decade, we are 1 of 2 teams that has a Chip. I will say however, we are an impatient bunch. And we need to be back climbing again soon. But We need to put up another banner, we can't be having another long drought like we did from 2010 to 2020
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#56 » by BEazy » Mon May 2, 2022 9:10 am

If we go down the Mike Brown road, I'm not going to watch next season either... I don't get why this guy gets any type of consideration from any team...

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#57 » by sonnyhill » Mon May 2, 2022 2:46 pm

Just hiring the "right" head coach is not going to solve the problems facing the Lakers.

Ownership, proper-and-smart roster construction, managing the cap, and re-inventing the now-tarnished-and-damaged Laker brand, and hiring the right coach, are all needed right now.
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#58 » by DNP-Old » Mon May 2, 2022 3:31 pm

sonnyhill wrote:Just hiring the "right" head coach is not going to solve the problems facing the Lakers.

Ownership, proper-and-smart roster construction, managing the cap, and re-inventing the now-tarnished-and-damaged Laker brand,and hiring the right coach, are all needed right now.

Wait...What?
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#59 » by SK21209 » Mon May 2, 2022 4:55 pm

The more I hear about Darvin Ham the more I like him, I think he could bring similar intangibles to this team to what Udoka has done for the Celtics. I also want to see a reinvestment in assistant coaches. Given what Kidd has been able to do in Dallas, in hindsight we had a really solid staff in 2020 with Vogel, Kidd, Hollins and Handy.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by sonnyhill » Tue May 3, 2022 3:31 pm

DNP-Old wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:Just hiring the "right" head coach is not going to solve the problems facing the Lakers.

Ownership, proper-and-smart roster construction, managing the cap, and re-inventing the now-tarnished-and-damaged Laker brand,and hiring the right coach, are all needed right now.

Wait...What?

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/magic-johnson-names-the-lakers-and-knicks-as-big-market-teams-that-need-to-improve

Return to Los Angeles Lakers