ImageImageImageImageImage

We're being prepped for another season of Westbrook

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

We're being prepped for another season of Westbrook 

Post#1 » by danfantastk32 » Fri May 6, 2022 6:06 pm

If you read the article floating around in the basketball news here, it sounds like they really are making Vogel the scapegoat. They feel like Russ was just 'misused'. :roll:

So....read between the lines here. I looks an awful lot to me like they are seriously thinking about trying this again. My personal theory on all this, is that they haven't been able to trade him, and they are 95% sure they are gonna be stuck with him. So trying to project a position of power, they are going with the "you know what? We think this actually can work" routine.

Well, I can skip the games too. If they're gonna flop his sorry ass on the floor again, I ain't watching.

I've never once though Jeanie should get out. Never even entertained it. Thought it was stupid. Until this morning. Maybe my lowest moment as a Laker fan. Signing Mozgov and Deng was certainly up there. When Kobe said he wanted off the team. Ehhh...when Magic gave his press conference on HIV......ok that was #1. So this might be #2.

If Jeanie does want to keep the Lakers, she needs to get rid of this collection of side-pieces throwing their two-cents in (Including Phil...sorry man, you were the greatest coach ever. But you straight SUCKED as a GM) and get a B-Ball mind to run things, and have absolute authority. I'd like J-West, but he's so freakin old now. I'd love Riley, but I have the same concerns. We need a guy who can stick around for 10-20 years, and build something real.

Easier said than done, but if any of this is true.....we're straight desperate, and completely out of ideas.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Re: We're being prepped for another season of Westbrook 

Post#2 » by nedleeds » Fri May 6, 2022 8:37 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Fri May 6, 2022 9:08 pm

I read the same articles and my take is we're killing whatever value Westbrook has and will eventually trade away all our future flexibility to move him, in a stupid trade...

Which I'd say is worse than keeping him for another season... I don't think he even wants to come back...

If they wanted to think outside the box and take a calculated risk with low downside, I'd think about hiring Rondo as Coach, and give him personnel decision authority.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by danfantastk32 » Fri May 6, 2022 9:46 pm

Kilroy wrote:I read the same articles and my take is we're killing whatever value Westbrook has and will eventually trade away all our future flexibility to move him, in a stupid trade...

Which I'd say is worse than keeping him for another season... I don't think he even wants to come back...

If they wanted to think outside the box and take a calculated risk with low downside, I'd think about hiring Rondo as Coach, and give him personnel decision authority.

You may be right, although I'd say perhaps they are trying to plant that seed of doubt in potential buys?? Either way, I think we will have to trade most of our assets (what little there is). I also don't think he wants to come back. I doubt Lebron and AD want him back. This season was a disaster, and was clearly no fun. Neither to watch, or participate in. Can they just wave him? I'm not sure you can. Can you just wave a max contract? And going back to that "project authority, and a sense of control" thing (not that anyone is buying it...but that never stops anyone from putting on the show) I think they would be very reluctant to just straight out wave him. That's an admission few have the guts to pull the trigger on. Like I said....you may be right, but I look at this as them buttering up Westbrook's ego. As well as starting the narrative with fans that this was all bad coaching, and that this is gonna be much, much better next time.

Don't hate Rondo as coach. Does he want the long hours? Would he want to coach Westbrook? I certainly wouldn't want the headache. I do think we need a different definition of a coach until Lebron leaves. If Westbrook, by hook or by crook, ends up gone....I do like the Rondo idea.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#5 » by euphorbus » Fri May 6, 2022 11:06 pm

Yeah, they must think Lakers fans are thick as boards.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#6 » by tamaraw08 » Sat May 7, 2022 3:22 am

Kilroy wrote:I read the same articles and my take is we're killing whatever value Westbrook has and will eventually trade away all our future flexibility to move him, in a stupid trade...

I thought it’s the opposite. They’re insinuating they are interested in trading Westbrook but are not desperate enough to include future FRP’s because they can keep Russ after all if they get the right coach. And if these interested teams get Russ, they are acquiring an actual asset, and not just an expirer, if they have a “good”coach.
Now there’s another article suggesting that the legendary Phil Jackson was a great fan of Russ and he is involved in that coaching search who can maximize Westbrook’s strengths. I’m not sure I’m buying it, unless Phil has lost his marbles and has failed to notice Russ’ steep decline. If it’s true, I expect them to hire Scotty Brooks.
When Cleveland lost Rubio, they badly needed a veteran PG, Rondo saw the chance to abandon a sinking ship and especially play without Westbrook. Lakers could have asked for a future 2nd rounder in exchange but my guess was Rajon begged Rob to just leave asap.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#7 » by Landsberger » Sat May 7, 2022 3:29 am

Everyone will want our FRP's.... they are going to be top 5 for a few years I'm afraid.

The franchise is in a hole and the only tool the seem to have is a shovel.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,185

Post#8 » by SlimShady83 » Sat May 7, 2022 7:01 am

If this happens and Lakers end up keeping Westbrook, Let's hope Lakers will be limited to Injuries, Covid and all the other BS they had to deal with and along with the 40 different lineups that also happened, you just can't expect much when all that is being done through out any season from any team.

If Westbrook stays, they should really take a look at talking to him about being off the bench as 6th man (depends who is coach) maybe new coach can make it work??

This also means Monk is more than likely gone unless he is willing to stay for less??? Lakers going to do some searching for another scorer, because If either AD OR Bron goes down with Injury (touch wood) Lakers going to find it tough to score points.

Speaking of Injury's and on another topic - AD needs to be limited and watched on his minutes; Not allowed to play back to backs OR long road trips etc should be limited - need to keep him ready for playoffs - If Lakers make it. If he can't stay healthy for next season, they need to take a look at seriously trading him.

Edit: while here, what are they going to do with Nunn - off the bench?
Bring back Defense
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#9 » by LAL1947 » Sun May 8, 2022 4:00 am

danfantastk32 wrote:We're being prepped for another season of Westbrook

So true, haha. It appears we're stuck with the dope, with no chance of dodging him like this either. :P

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#10 » by Slava » Wed May 11, 2022 6:57 am

I'm a bit sick of how often, him and his wife have felt the need to say how important it is that he is finally home, so he can be with his kids. I can understand the parental instinct and such but if that is the case, he has made more more than $250M in his career and doesn't seem to have many goals left to achieve in basketball, he can safely opt out of his contract, retire and get on full time paternity leave.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 17, 2022 7:29 am

"Sources tell Sam Amick of The Athletic that prospective coaches have been asked how they would use Westbrook in their system. The takeaway for the coaches has been that maximizing the play of Westbrook is considered an important part of the job."

Yep....there's no trade out there. Nobody wants this guy.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,407

Post#12 » by JRoy » Tue May 17, 2022 1:54 pm

Slava wrote:I'm a bit sick of how often, him and his wife have felt the need to say how important it is that he is finally home, so he can be with his kids. I can understand the parental instinct and such but if that is the case, he has made more more than $250M in his career and doesn't seem to have many goals left to achieve in basketball, he can safely opt out of his contract, retire and get on full time paternity leave.

Opting out of $40 million is not happening.

You and I would not do that and neither will he.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:41 pm

JRoy wrote:You and I would not do that and neither will he.

Agreed. There's no way in hell I'd walk away from 40 (I mean...I'd never walk away from 1, but he and I lead different lives), so it's not realistic to even pipe-dream that one. Could we come to a buy-out of 33-35?? Maybe.

But let's not forget we're talking about super-alpha "I can beat the world!" personalities here.....guys who lied to themselves that this could all work last summer. "I can do this....you guys do that....bada-boom! Title!!" So it's really not a stretch to see this whole angle of being misused as a complete mental reset for these guys.

"Yeah....I was misused. Stupid Vogel had me here, when I'm best over here. I KNEW there was something strange the whole time. Let me play over here, like this.....and man, we GOT THIS!!!" I'll bring a title. I can do it. Ego's are being massaged (and let's not forget the ego's of the FO who signed off on this stupid deal. They are of course the brightest people on earth.....NO WAY they'd make such a stupid move). Vogel is down the road, and they're piling on.

That's cool. I don't have to watch "train wreck - part 2" . I got other things going on. I'll come back when it's over. And if this does all go down like it's lookin', then count me as one of the people wanting Jeanie out. Never thought I'd say that.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#14 » by Slava » Tue May 17, 2022 3:59 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:

Agreed. There's no way in hell I'd walk away from 40 (I mean...I'd never walk away from 1, but he and I lead different lives), so it's not realistic to even pipe-dream that one. Could we come to a buy-out of 33-35?? Maybe.

But let's not forget we're talking about super-alpha "I can beat the world!" personalities here.....guys who lied to themselves that this could all work last summer. "I can do this....you guys do that....bada-boom! Title!!" So it's really not a stretch to see this whole angle of being misused as a complete mental reset for these guys.

"Yeah....I was misused. Stupid Vogel had me here, when I'm best over here. I KNEW there was something strange the whole time. Let me play over here, like this.....and man, we GOT THIS!!!" I'll bring a title. I can do it. Ego's are being massaged (and let's not forget the ego's of the FO who signed off on this stupid deal. They are of course the brightest people on earth.....NO WAY they'd make such a stupid move). Vogel is down the road, and they're piling on.

That's cool. I don't have to watch "train wreck - part 2" . I got other things going on. I'll come back when it's over. And if this does all go down like it's lookin', then count me as one of the people wanting Jeanie out. Never thought I'd say that.

Sure, $40 million means more to someone whose net worth is less than $1 million but it isn't as ceiling raising for someone who's already made $250 million.

The idea of making $250M is the freedom to choose to walk away from $40M more if it makes you happier in life and to be around your children. There's only so many years for a man while his kids are young enough so he can drive and pick them up from school every day because they grow independent within 10 years.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:04 pm

Slava wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

Sure, $40 million means more to someone whose net worth is less than $1 million but it isn't as ceiling raising for someone who's already made $250 million.

The idea of making $250M is the freedom to choose to walk away from $40M more if it makes you happier in life and to be around your children. There's only so many years for a man while his kids are young enough so he can drive and pick them up from school every day because they grow independent within 10 years.

I hear it, but nobody's walking from $40. Especially when it's money 'accounted for'. I also don't think he wants to walk away. He didn't come into last season thinking this was it. It just happened to be an absolute disaster. But like I said....the logic is being twisted...ego's massaged. He'll be eager to come back and show everyone how much better he is when used right.

At $40 large, of course
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#16 » by Liam_Gallagher » Tue May 17, 2022 6:14 pm

Would the Knicks trade Randle, Fournier, and Rose for Westbrook, THT, and two firsts?

G - James/Rose
G - Fournier/Nunn
F - Reaves/filler
F - Randle/Boucher
C - Davis/Howard
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 17, 2022 6:49 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:Would the Knicks trade Randle, Fournier, and Rose for Westbrook, THT, and two firsts?

G - James/Rose
G - Fournier/Nunn
F - Reaves/filler
F - Randle/Boucher
C - Davis/Howard

1 first. We'll throw in a 2nd rounder if the deal stalls. THT had a bad year, but so did everyone around WB, not named Lebron. He's a promising talent, and we're taking a buttload of contract back, some long, for nobody special.

That said....we're committed to AD for several years, and it would certainly make us much better until it blows up. Maybe even watchable. I'd do it.....but only 1 first rounder.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#18 » by kobe808lak » Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 pm

And I'm prepared to not watch this team with him on it..
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#19 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:53 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Slava wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

I hear it, but nobody's walking from $40. Especially when it's money 'accounted for'. I also don't think he wants to walk away. He didn't come into last season thinking this was it. It just happened to be an absolute disaster. But like I said....the logic is being twisted...ego's massaged. He'll be eager to come back and show everyone how much better he is when used right.

At $40 large, of course

I really think a lot will depend on Lebron and AD if they are TRULY CONVINCED that they can make it work. I don't know if James was just paying lip service when he said, the main reason they failed was because of injuries. :roll: Is he really that stupid?

[url][/url]
I'm not a Vogel fan but Frank didn't make Russ miss those hundreds of shots esp layups. To suggest that they failed bec of Frank's inability to find a scheme to maximize Westbrook's strengths is simply ignorant of his rapid decline. They brought in Fizdale who was James ex assistant coach in Miami, Vogel missed games bec of Covid, did David do wonders in his absence esp about using Russ?
Who can really coach this guy? Are you serious?
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#20 » by TheHartBreakKid » Tue May 17, 2022 11:15 pm

It might be the case, and it'll likely really suck, but I rather deal with another year of Westbrook vs giving up assets to get rid of him, or trading him for toxic contracts, or doing something damaging like stretching him.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers