ImageImageImageImageImage

I can’t wait for the Lakers to sign D’Lo

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Re: I can’t wait for the Lakers to sign D’Lo 

Post#81 » by Showtime:Part2 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 8:37 pm

The only issue I have w dlo is that he’s soft and misses a lotta games. If you bring up ad, you’re not being intellectually honest. They’re different tiers of players with significantly different impact per dollar of cap space spent when healthy
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
That_Casual
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#82 » by That_Casual » Wed Apr 5, 2023 1:19 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
That_Casual wrote:I’ll bite… for the fools who don’t want us to resign an 18/6 averaging 26 year old point guard … who would you realistically want then?

Which point guard is out there who’s available is a better option than D’Lo? By the way we’re 4-0 with Dlo/Bron/Ad… almost like having a knockdown floor spacing playmaker is useful next to Bron and Ad.

His offensive skill sets are perfect for this team next to James and AD, you are mentioning his glowing stats but there are other facts that you are failing or ignoring to acknowledge. Since he got here on Feb 11, he already missed 8 CRUCIAL games, sat again the 2nd half of yesterday's games, that's roughly 40% of the games.
Last season he missed 28 games, before that 14 games, The year before 17, then 40 missed games.
I find his "toughness" questionable, not a few including me think he can gut it out and could have played more games, but the fact remains that he can't stay healthy.
Then another issue that 4 teams in his 7 short career years have CHOSEN to ship him somewhere else.
Lakers was 30th in DRTG when he played here then improved to 12th best after he left.
He did great in Brooklyn and still they decided to trade him to accomodate 2 primadonnas.
GSW didn't want to lose KD for nothing took him in. With no more KD, injured Steph and Klay, they were very desperate for scoring and STILL DECIDED to part with him after 33 games, electing to absorb an overpriced underachiever instead. 2 seasons later GSW won it all !!!
TWolves finally got to the playoffs with him but the following year, they decided they would rather have an aging 35 year old instead of him.
don't you see a pattern here?
Let me ask you this, when was the last time you saw him DIVE TO THE FLOOR to get that ball? Schroder would do it 3/4 times every game, D'Lo?
His defense is not that great either.

Don’t give a **** if he dives to the floor.

I also don’t give a **** if the Twolves wanted off him. I care about what he’s done here. And again… who is better for the same price?
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,284

Post#83 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 4:40 pm

That_Casual wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
That_Casual wrote:I’ll bite… for the fools who don’t want us to resign an 18/6 averaging 26 year old point guard … who would you realistically want then?

Which point guard is out there who’s available is a better option than D’Lo? By the way we’re 4-0 with Dlo/Bron/Ad… almost like having a knockdown floor spacing playmaker is useful next to Bron and Ad.

His offensive skill sets are perfect for this team next to James and AD, you are mentioning his glowing stats but there are other facts that you are failing or ignoring to acknowledge. Since he got here on Feb 11, he already missed 8 CRUCIAL games, sat again the 2nd half of yesterday's games, that's roughly 40% of the games.
Last season he missed 28 games, before that 14 games, The year before 17, then 40 missed games.
I find his "toughness" questionable, not a few including me think he can gut it out and could have played more games, but the fact remains that he can't stay healthy.
Then another issue that 4 teams in his 7 short career years have CHOSEN to ship him somewhere else.
Lakers was 30th in DRTG when he played here then improved to 12th best after he left.
He did great in Brooklyn and still they decided to trade him to accomodate 2 primadonnas.
GSW didn't want to lose KD for nothing took him in. With no more KD, injured Steph and Klay, they were very desperate for scoring and STILL DECIDED to part with him after 33 games, electing to absorb an overpriced underachiever instead. 2 seasons later GSW won it all !!!
TWolves finally got to the playoffs with him but the following year, they decided they would rather have an aging 35 year old instead of him.
Let me ask you this, when was the last time you saw him DIVE TO THE FLOOR to get that ball? Schroder would do it 3/4 times every game, D'Lo?

I also don’t give a **** if the Twolves wanted off him. I care about what he’s done here. And again… who is better for the same price?

What he's done here was great....... WHEN HE PLAYS !!! 9.5 games missed out of 23 games, that's roughly 40% of games because of... sprain ankle, sore hips... sore feet?
from Fox sports here is the list of excuses...errr injuries of this super tough guy
DATE
INJURY
4/3/23
Foot
3/24/23
Hip
2/25/23
Ankle
2/8/23
Personal Reasons
1/2/23
Illness
12/13/22
Knee
2/10/22
Shin
2/7/22
Shin
2/1/22
Shin
1/28/22
Shin
12/25/21
Health and safety protocols
12/14/21
Ankle
12/5/21
Ankle
11/1/21
Right Ankle
4/6/21
Knee
2/8/21
Leg
2/6/21
Right Quad
The guy does not play great defense AND does not dive to the floor and do whatever it takes to help his team and yet missed so many games because of a wide assortment of injuries and they should commit 4 long years of this crap to pair with a 38 year old and another fragile superstar?
Look, I don't mind them paying him extra but only for 2 years with a team option or.... he gets paid lower but get a bonus if he plays more than 70 games per year,.
That_Casual
Sophomore

Post#84 » by That_Casual » Wed Apr 5, 2023 4:41 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
That_Casual wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

What he's done here was great....... WHEN HE PLAYS !!! 9.5 games missed out of 23 games, that's roughly 40% of games because of... sprain ankle, sore hips... sore feet?
from Fox sports here is the list of excuses...errr injuries of this super tough guy
DATE
INJURY
4/3/23
Foot
3/24/23
Hip
2/25/23
Ankle
2/8/23
Personal Reasons
1/2/23
Illness
12/13/22
Knee
2/10/22
Shin
2/7/22
Shin
2/1/22
Shin
1/28/22
Shin
12/25/21
12/14/21
Ankle
12/5/21
Ankle
11/1/21
Right Ankle
4/6/21
Knee
2/8/21
Leg
2/6/21
Right Quad
The guy does not play great defense AND does not dive to the floor and do whatever it takes to help his team and yet missed so many games because of a wide assortment of injuries and they should commit 4 long years of this crap to pair with a 38 year old and another fragile superstar?
Look, I don't mind them paying him extra but only for 2 years with a team option or.... he gets paid lower but get a bonus if he plays more than 70 games per year,.

Again… who’s better?
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#85 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 6:01 pm

That_Casual wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
That_Casual wrote:

DATE
INJURY
4/3/23
Foot
3/24/23
Hip
2/25/23
Ankle
2/8/23
Personal Reasons
1/2/23
Illness
12/13/22
Knee
2/10/22
Shin
2/7/22
Shin
2/1/22
Shin
1/28/22
Shin
12/25/21
12/14/21
Ankle
12/5/21
Ankle
11/1/21
Right Ankle
4/6/21
Knee
2/8/21
Leg
2/6/21
Right Quad

Again… who’s better?

I like FVV better but the Lakers probably can't afford him. I would not argue with you if you say D'Lo is a better fit with his offensive skill sets because he probably is.
But you have to consider everything when you are committing a huge contract to a guy for more than 4 years ESPECIALLY HIS RELIABILITY!
if you only have this amount of money to buy a car, you simply just don't pick the sleekest, fastest car with the nicest color in the lot. If you do, you will weep if you find out that this car breaks down 40% of the time.
That_Casual
Sophomore

Post#86 » by That_Casual » Wed Apr 5, 2023 6:18 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
That_Casual wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:What he's done here was great....... WHEN HE PLAYS !!! 9.5 games missed out of 23 games, that's roughly 40% of games because of... sprain ankle, sore hips... sore feet?
DATE
INJURY
4/3/23
Foot
3/24/23
Hip
2/25/23
Ankle
2/8/23
Personal Reasons
1/2/23
Illness
12/13/22
Knee
2/10/22
Shin
2/7/22
Shin
2/1/22
Shin
1/28/22
Shin
12/25/21
12/14/21
Ankle
12/5/21
Ankle
11/1/21
Right Ankle
4/6/21
Knee
2/8/21
Leg
2/6/21
Right Quad

Again… who’s better?

I like FVV better but the Lakers probably can't afford him. I would not argue with you if you say D'Lo is a better fit with his offensive skill sets because he probably is.
But you have to consider everything when you are committing a huge contract to a guy for more than 4 years ESPECIALLY HIS RELIABILITY!
if you only have this amount of money to buy a car, you simply just don't pick the sleekest, fastest car with the nicest color in the lot. If you do, you will weep if you find out that this car breaks down 40% of the time.

So you want us to hard cap ourselves for Fred Van Vleet?
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#87 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Apr 5, 2023 6:57 pm

I like van vleet. But he is not getable. Won't happen.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#88 » by NBAWestFan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:09 pm

Play offs tell alot

Hachimura, Vanderbilt Shroeder, AR these are the keepers.

Dlo only if he is close to 20 mil but not much over. He is not really a necessary component.
I don't think his price will work out

Beasley for the right price. I think I rather bring back Troy

No really into Kyrie unless his price is right but he is more clutch than Dlo. Worth more than him.
That_Casual
Sophomore

Post#89 » by That_Casual » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:41 pm

He clearly needs to be re-signed. Can’t let a $20-30m salary walk out there door. Also the Kyrie sign and trade isn’t really possible. Not with having to pay Reaves and Rui. Sign and trade means we’d be hard capped at about $170m.

I’d say ‘fair’ price on D’Lo is probably $25m a year. His current $30m salary is thanks to being overpaid due to needing to be sign and traded in the KD deal to Brooklyn. I don’t think he’s shown enough to be getting signed up for $30m+ again. And I feel pretty confident in saying nobody else would pay him $30m.

I think $75m/3 is fair deal.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#90 » by Kilroy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:13 pm

I'm as unsold on DLo as anyone, but let's not act like D'Lo didn't play a significant role in our GM 1 victory... He was key if not necessarily clutch...
DLo is a reg season star, and he's so good at that, he's capable of taking a ton of regular season load off LeBron, while still keeping us in the playoff hunt... there's value in that... And I can't think of another player as good as him or as young as him, we can get...

So as long as it doesn't prevent us resigning Reaves, Vandi, and Rui, maybe you just pay the man and not look back, accepting the fact that he'll have some huge reg season games and contribute in the post season, even if he's not 'him' like Reaves, in the post season clutch time...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#91 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:53 pm

Sign Reaves first before anyone else. I don't know how to feel about DLo right now. It's like it's ok to sign him at a reasonable price and I don't mind letting him go if he asks for too much. It seems that Austin and Dennis could handle those PG minutes. We can add another veteran PG for insurance.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#92 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:26 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
That_Casual wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:What he's done here was great....... WHEN HE PLAYS !!! 9.5 games missed out of 23 games, that's roughly 40% of games because of... sprain ankle, sore hips... sore feet?
DATE
INJURY
4/3/23
Foot
3/24/23
Hip
2/25/23
Ankle
2/8/23
Personal Reasons
1/2/23
Illness
12/13/22
Knee
2/10/22
Shin
2/7/22
Shin
2/1/22
Shin
1/28/22
Shin
12/25/21
12/14/21
Ankle
12/5/21
Ankle
11/1/21
Right Ankle
4/6/21
Knee
2/8/21
Leg
2/6/21
Right Quad

Again… who’s better?

In my opinion D'Lo is a keeper because he fits perfectly with both Reaves and Lebron. When you look at the market i think it is unlikely that he's going to be offered all that much as only a small handful of teams have cap space.

Availability is an issue, but also relative. D'Lo has played about 62 games on average since entering the league.
For sure a low number, but the other two possible targets we've heard about in Kyrie and FVV are lower. Kyrie is only at 55 games and FVV is at 60 games per season on average. Looking at justhe last five years, D'Lo and FVV has played exactly the same amount of games, whereas Kyrie has played just 46 games per season.
In addition to not playing much Kyrie has torpedoed 3 different teams. So **** that guy.

Just convert the layup and bring back the whole current roster including D'Lo at a reasonable price. If an opportunity presents itself with someone like FVV i think its worth considering.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#93 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:57 pm

That_Casual wrote:He clearly needs to be re-signed. Can’t let a $20-30m salary walk out there door. Also the Kyrie sign and trade isn’t really possible. Not with having to pay Reaves and Rui. Sign and trade means we’d be hard capped at about $170m.

I’d say ‘fair’ price on D’Lo is probably $25m a year. His current $30m salary is thanks to being overpaid due to needing to be sign and traded in the KD deal to Brooklyn. I don’t think he’s shown enough to be getting signed up for $30m+ again. And I feel pretty confident in saying nobody else would pay him $30m.

I think $75m/3 is fair deal.

The priority for me is signing Reaves and hopefully Schroder at a reasonable rate.
I am ok signing him for 25 mil/year, I don't mind them giving them extra 5 Mil if he accepts a 2 year deal but I just don't think he will accept a pay cut. Rob can also tell them to talk to other teams and see if they can match the offer.
The question is, what if D'Lo rejects the offer, now what?
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#94 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:42 am

We gotta take Reaves off the Market asap. He will be bidded on very highly
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#95 » by stan francisco » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:32 pm

FVV would be great. There must be a way to turn D Lo, Beasley and Brown Jr, or something along those lines, into FVV. The Grizzlies also have a very good backup PG in Tyus Jones. whom I’d love to see start for us, but I doubt they trade him so easily. I wouldn’t.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#96 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:14 pm

I'm lookin at a strong back court with a triple rotation of a Fred Van. Reaves. And Schroeder. All have mid range capabilities. Van vt has excellent Long Range capabilities. And we can squeeze some defensive capabilities out of these 3. Those 3 I believe would solidify our back court for years. Retain AD of course. And We have pieces to diversify our team, to meet, match and defend any style of play.
That_Casual
Sophomore

Post#97 » by That_Casual » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:05 am

I apologise. I was wrong. Trade him.

He’s been really good for us in the regular season. Making 3, pretty reliable scorer. But yeah, in the playoffs, where it ultimately matters, he can’t cut it.

Not sure who’d want him in a sign and trade.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#98 » by urinesane » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:45 pm

That_Casual wrote:I apologise. I was wrong. Trade him.

He’s been really good for us in the regular season. Making 3, pretty reliable scorer. But yeah, in the playoffs, where it ultimately matters, he can’t cut it.

It's OK, we fell for it in MN too.

There's a honeymoon period where he shows things that make you believe he could be a top PG in the league. Then he does his "too cool to try hard" act and makes silly/dumb turnovers and goes cold (and not in an ice in the veins kind of way). He acts like he's stuck in a fishing net when someone sets a pick on him (his defensive effort, angles, and aptitude are things of nightmares).

If he were say a $15-18/year guy it'd be a great deal, it's just that he still sees himself as a top guy and wants to get paid like it (which shows his dillusions of grandeur which have also contributed to his lack of willingness to adapt in ways that help the team win at the cost of his personal stats).

Mike Conley has been a breath of fresh air and has basically been the opposite of DLo in MN (at least on defense and running an offense, scoring wise he's been pretty good when needed). Too bad he's older or I'd want him signed up longterm.
That_Casual
Sophomore

Post#99 » by That_Casual » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:06 pm

urinesane wrote:

There's a honeymoon period where he shows things that make you believe he could be a top PG in the league. Then he does his "too cool to try hard" act and makes silly/dumb turnovers and goes cold (and not in an ice in the veins kind of way). He acts like he's stuck in a fishing net when someone sets a pick on him (his defensive effort, angles, and aptitude are things of nightmares).

If he were say a $15-18/year guy it'd be a great deal, it's just that he still sees himself as a top guy and wants to get paid like it (which shows his dillusions of grandeur which have also contributed to his lack of willingness to adapt in ways that help the team win at the cost of his personal stats).

Mike Conley has been a breath of fresh air and has basically been the opposite of DLo in MN (at least on defense and running an offense, scoring wise he's been pretty good when needed). Too bad he's older or I'd want him signed up longterm.

At this point the only reason I wouldn’t trade D’Lo is because he’s pretty good in the regular season. At least, he has been for us so far. Making 3s, carrying some of the ball handling load, and not been too bad defensively although not great. But when the play in started, he’s been terrible since. Intensity has gone up and he seemingly can’t handle it. His shooting has went to ****.

2 points in the play in. 5 points in game 2.
Even in game 1 where on the face of it, at 19 points, he was better, he still wasn’t great. His first quarter was horrific. He did really well to bounce back in the 2nd and 3rd quarter but then fell of in the 4th again.

Like I said, i’m probably ok keeping him next season just because in the regular season he’s been fine and I feel like this team would be good enough to get itself a top 6 seed, but if that Kyrie S&T is there then i’m making it. If it isn’t then fine, keep him and cruise along until the deadline next year then see if anything comes along because in the play offs when intensity goes up he seemingly disappears. We’d be better of with Alex Caruso starting at PG to be honest, or finding another forward and letting Bron run the point for 30 minutes a night.

Thinking on it though… we probably would have been better just taking Conley and NAW from Utah instead of bringing Minny in to it with D’Lo. Like looking at it now, it’s the first time i’ve actually thought about it… and really don’t understand it actually. Like… the Jazz gave up 2 SRPs by roping Minny in to it and they didn’t get anything back. We could really just have cut Minny out and took Conley/NAW and been in the same position, if not better.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#100 » by urinesane » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:11 pm

That_Casual wrote:
urinesane wrote:

At this point the only reason I wouldn’t trade D’Lo is because he’s pretty good in the regular season. At least, he has been for us so far. Making 3s, carrying some of the ball handling load, and not been too bad defensively although not great. But when the play in started, he’s been terrible since. Intensity has gone up and he seemingly can’t handle it. His shooting has went to ****.

2 points in the play in. 5 points in game 2.
Even in game 1 where on the face of it, at 19 points, he was better, he still wasn’t great. His first quarter was horrific. He did really well to bounce back in the 2nd and 3rd quarter but then fell of in the 4th again.

Like I said, i’m probably ok keeping him next season just because in the regular season he’s been fine and I feel like this team would be good enough to get itself a top 6 seed, but if that Kyrie S&T is there then i’m making it. If it isn’t then fine, keep him and cruise along until the deadline next year then see if anything comes along because in the play offs when intensity goes up he seemingly disappears. We’d be better of with Alex Caruso starting at PG to be honest, or finding another forward and letting Bron run the point for 30 minutes a night.

He's been good for you in the regular season in 17 games. Keep that sample size in mind when looking towards the future.

Also, you can't have a guy making that much on a Lakers' team that has championship expectations not show up in the playoffs (like he didn't for MN last year to the point he was benched in game 6). His ability to get hot is what gives him most of his value, but if his shot isn't falling, he's a pretty big negative in nearly every other aspect of the game.

I really wanted it to work for him in MN, but it's clear that DLo is only worth that kind of money to a team that is middle of the pack and will never be worth the amount he commands on a contender. On a cheap deal he has positive value, on the type of deal he's currently on, he generally has a negative value (with just enough flashes of heroic play to keep you on the hook). His highs are very high, but his lows are incredibly frustrating (and nearly always due to a lack of effort/energy/ability to go into a higher gear when things ramp up i.e. the playoffs).

Even though he is currently a +21 in the playoffs with LA through two games, his overall +/- in the playoffs is still -72 (which means going into these playoffs he was -93 in 11 career playoff games).

Return to Los Angeles Lakers