ImageImageImageImageImage

What’s The Malik Beasley Trade This Offseason?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Re: What’s The Malik Beasley Trade This Offseason? 

Post#101 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:31 am

Lakers24gm wrote:I know this is a Beasley thread but with the DLo talk my question is what team is paying him this summer? No cap space team makes sense to sign him. So that leaves what the MLE? Lakers can just offer slightly more than that. I just can’t see him getting over 20 million a year.

For DLo you have to look at more than just teams with cap space. You have to look at teams with someone under contract for around the same amount that DLo might be signed for and that they feel like they might lose.

Kind of how DLo got paid last time. The warriors didn’t have cap space, but they were going to lose Durant so they agreed to the Dlo sign n trade instead of losing KD for nothing. Gotta find a team out there that might want to get something (DLo) for a player they may feel like they won’t be able to keep. That player gotta be someone the lakers would want.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#102 » by mighty_duck » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:17 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Lakers24gm wrote:For DLo you have to look at more than just teams with cap space. You have to look at teams with someone under contract for around the same amount that DLo might be signed for and that they feel like they might lose.

Kind of how DLo got paid last time. The warriors didn’t have cap space, but they were going to lose Durant so they agreed to the Dlo sign n trade instead of losing KD for nothing. Gotta find a team out there that might want to get something (DLo) for a player they may feel like they won’t be able to keep. That player gotta be someone the lakers would want.

It works even better if that player is a free agent who expresses interest to sign with another team (which is what happened with KD). At that point, they are really losing them for nothing. And DLo is, for lack of a better term, better than nothing :)
The team they are leaving has to be competitive, otherwise they would just as soon let their player walk.

Two current examples are Kyrie and Harden. Longer shots are Draymond and FVV.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#103 » by stan francisco » Thu Jun 1, 2023 10:56 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Why on earth would any human being who roots for the Lakers want to keep Russell after the post season that just past?

Well, he's a good basketballplayer who cant be replaced if we let him walk. For the 82-game season that's important.

If you consider only offense, all of what you said is true. If you consider only defense, you have to dig deep to find a guard worse at defense in the entire league.

One way players who get paid equal to being a two way player aren’t a good idea. Coach Malone ran every possession on D Lo’s flank until D Lo was benched, and his offense was thus eliminated. Easy for any coach with a brain.

This is why you can’t sink $30M plus into getting a good PnR player who doesn’t play ANY defense. I certainly don‘t think it’s a winning concept.

D Lo needs to be a S&T, or dropped. End of story, imho. Coach Malone just proved it.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#104 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:20 am

stan francisco wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Why on earth would any human being who roots for the Lakers want to keep Russell after the post season that just past?

Well, he's a good basketballplayer who cant be replaced if we let him walk. For the 82-game season that's important.

If you consider only offense, all of what you said is true. If you consider only defense, you have to dig deep to find a guard worse at defense in the entire league.

One way players who get paid equal to being a two way player aren’t a good idea. Coach Malone ran every possession on D Lo’s flank until D Lo was benched, and his offense was thus eliminated. Easy for any coach with a brain.

This is why you can’t sink $30M plus into getting a good PnR player who doesn’t play ANY defense. I certainly don‘t think it’s a winning concept.

D Lo needs to be a S&T, or dropped. End of story, imho. Coach Malone just proved it.

I disagree. If we drop him he cant be replaced and his production in the regular season was solid and he was key in a handfull of games in the playoffs, despite being played off the floor vs. Denver. That was also the case with Vando as well. Even the Nuggets were only playing 7 guys in that series.

Now, 30M wont happen. Not from LA or anyone else. I'm not sure he's getting more than 20M, at best. And even that may be on a short-term deal. Best case is s/t of course, but if that isn't possible i woudl prefer to keep him and deal him during the season.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by stan francisco » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:28 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:

I disagree. If we drop him he cant be replaced and his production in the regular season was solid and he was key in a handfull of games in the playoffs, despite being played off the floor vs. Denver. That was also the case with Vando as well. Even the Nuggets were only playing 7 guys in that series.

Now, 30M wont happen. Not from LA or anyone else. I'm not sure he's getting more than 20M, at best. And even that may be on a short-term deal. Best case is s/t of course, but if that isn't possible i woudl prefer to keep him and deal him during the season.

Sign and trade is my preference 1-99.

It would suck to drop him with no return and I don’t think we will.

It would suck even more to have him being in the way of good team defense culture developing for a full season. His pick n roll is good but simply not good enough to make up for his horrendous defense, imo. His offense would have to be on the level of Stockton to make it an even draw.

S&T, please.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#106 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:46 pm

stan francisco wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

It would suck even more to have him being in the way of good team defense culture developing for a full season. His pick n roll is good but simply not good enough to make up for his horrendous defense, imo. His offense would have to be on the level of Stockton to make it an even draw.

S&T, please.

I just dont want to overreact based on a small sample size. His contribution in the regular season was really good and he played a part in making it to the conference finals. The problem is that it might be problematic to get anyone to do a s/t and we'd be hardcapped.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by stan francisco » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:07 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:

S&T, please.

I just dont want to overreact based on a small sample size. His contribution in the regular season was really good and he played a part in making it to the conference finals. The problem is that it might be problematic to get anyone to do a s/t and we'd be hardcapped.

He plays no contact ball. No defense at all. To me, that’s a no starter. I was pissed when they signed him and predicted that a good coach would abuse him defensively until benched. Sweep.

Yes, a S&T for him is more or less impossible unless we package him with Schroeder and picks.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#108 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:25 pm

stan francisco wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

S&T, please.

He plays no contact ball. No defense at all. To me, that’s a no starter. I was pissed when they signed him and predicted that a good coach would abuse him defensively until benched. Sweep.

Yes, a S&T for him is more or less impossible unless we package him with Schroeder and picks.

Realistically it's just going to be tough.

I think Schroeder stays though. Darwin Ham likes him, i believe.

Maybe s/t to Dallas for similar problematic guy in Christian Wood.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#109 » by loveshaq786 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:30 pm

buddy, TJ, #32, #55 ... to Beasley, Bamba, and #17
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#110 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:54 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:

S&T, please.

Were we not locked in? Were we not fighting for our playoff lives since January? We were in a fight! The Sample size is good enough to see. If he needed more motivation then He ain't Him
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by stan francisco » Tue Jun 6, 2023 3:49 pm

That_Casual wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Beasley and D Lo for FVV.

Yeah lets hard cap ourselves for Fred Van Vleet.

Bro, piss off with your DLo hate

Thank you so much. But I won’t puss off. I’m a Lakers fan.

I’ll humor you one more time despite your constant baiting attempts and inability to discuss in a grown up manner.

It’s not hate, it’s lack of defense.

He’s 100% useless in the playoffs. Not opinion, fact.

Need proof?

Watch LAL-DEN series 2023 on replay. Focus on our defense. Malone attacked us on D Lo’s flank basically EVERY possession until D Lo was benched.

Just like I and many here with me predicted that he would. These are cold hard facts, not opinion.

He plays no-contact defense. Therefore he can’t play on the Lakers. The Lakers are gunning for championships, not regular season cuteness.

Buh-bye.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers