Lakers offseason 2023

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Lakers offseason 2023 

Post#41 » by Kilroy » Tue May 23, 2023 7:01 am

I don't think LeBron will be here next season... I think he's going to get surgery on his foot, be out all season and then retire so he can sign with whatever team drafts his son...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#42 » by ROballer » Tue May 23, 2023 8:57 am

Kilroy wrote:I don't think LeBron will be here next season... I think he's going to get surgery on his foot, be out all season and then retire so he can sign with whatever team drafts his son...

That can still be us though. We don't have a 1st next year but we can easily trade #17 for a 1st in 2024.

His scrub ass son is not getting drafted in the 1st round by anyone anyway. It's a wasted pick but because it's Lebron's son I think we'd do it if it comes to that.

I see him missing a good chunk of next season, agreed. But he'll probably want to give it a go in the playoffs again, especially if we tweak the roster a bit. Yeah, we got swept, but we gave away 2 games and were close in every one of them. I don't think we're done yet, we have another run in us.

I think most of his statements are meant at the FO as a warning in getting him Kyrie, I really do.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#43 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 23, 2023 9:23 am

Kilroy wrote:I don't think LeBron will be here next season... I think he's going to get surgery on his foot, be out all season and then retire so he can sign with whatever team drafts his son...

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

I think his recent comments is about putting pressure on Jeanie and Pelinka to have a team in place from day 1 next season in order for him to recover. And if that doesn’t happen – say if they decide to be cheap and let Reaves walk - i think Lebron might in fact do what you say. I.e. get surgery and then sign whereever Bronny goes.

Having seen how piss-poor DLo was in the playoffs i think that might make the offseason a bit simpler because he’s for sure wont take up 25-30M.

I would: Match any offer for Reaves. Retain Rui at 15M.

After that:
Sign-and-trade some combination of D’Lo, 17th pick and Beasley for best available player.
Keep Bamba, Schroeder.

Ideally D’Lo+17th could get Fred VanVleet. Or Jerami Grant. Or OG (extra pick added). Not a fan of LaVine or Kyrie, but those would be options too.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#44 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 23, 2023 10:45 am

If the Lakers realize early on that Rui might be too expensive to keep it could make sense to go under the cap.

Reaves’ cap hold is just 2.1 M and Vando is on the books for 4.7M, so they would have 26M to spend. More if Christie and #17 is moved. Also have room exception (5.6M) to perhaps use on Schroeder. 26M could be enough for a FVV or Kyrie. Or Harden.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#45 » by Liam_Gallagher » Tue May 23, 2023 11:11 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:If I'm a betting man that 17th pick is getting traded. I'm not sure how it works with S&T with Beasley - can the 17th pick be traded after July 1?

The Lakers would have to find a team that wants the pick and Beasley and once they find the team interested they would have to draft a player on that team's behalf and then the trade goes down during draft night.

Beasley is a team option though.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#46 » by Liam_Gallagher » Tue May 23, 2023 11:12 am

Man their rotation absolutely crumbled. Beasley, Russell, Vando, Troy Brown, Bamba all became unplayable. I can definitely see why teams prefer stars over depth. Role players become unpredictable.

Tristian freaking Thompson was their go-to bench player in the last game of the season. Wild.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#47 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 23, 2023 11:21 am

Liam_Gallagher wrote:Man their rotation absolutely crumbled. Beasley, Russell, Vando, Troy Brown, Bamba all became unplayable. I can definitely see why teams prefer stars over depth. Role players become unpredictable.

Tristian freaking Thompson was their go-to bench player in the last game of the season. Wild.

They sure did. D'Lo might have cost himself 50M these past few weeks.

Vando is a keeper though at <5M. Maybe Bamba too given that he's been injured.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#48 » by stan francisco » Tue May 23, 2023 3:01 pm

I say let’s sign Tristan for next season. Maybe he can teach AD to get pissed off and play like it matters?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#49 » by stan francisco » Tue May 23, 2023 3:03 pm

stan francisco wrote:LeBron
AD
Reaves
Hachimura
Vando
Walker
Christie
Bamba
17 (Rob can draft so I’m not trading)
47 (Rob can draft so I’m not trading)

Schroeder. Can we sign his defense and skip the offense? I’d resign him on the cheap for his man defense, but he rocks the league’s most inefficient 1 on 5 dribble offense.

I can’t stand when we pay full price for a one way player.

Since D Lo and Beasley both play no D, turn them into S&T offers. Trade them and Troy and Gabriel. Try to bring back some size in the paint. Gotta get up for Victor from SAS.

I’m adding Tristan Thompson to my wishlist.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#50 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue May 23, 2023 3:08 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:If I'm a betting man that 17th pick is getting traded. I'm not sure how it works with S&T with Beasley - can the 17th pick be traded after July 1?

The Lakers would have to find a team that wants the pick and Beasley and once they find the team interested they would have to draft a player on that team's behalf and then the trade goes down during draft night.

Beasley is a team option though.

Yeah I know. Lakers would have to pick it up.
zuju
Senior
And1: 121

Post#51 » by zuju » Tue May 23, 2023 3:27 pm

jehosafats wrote:Signing Reaves and Rui would help. Although they have to teach Rui how to secure rebounds, instead of ping-ponging it to the opposing team.

They should definitely let Vando and DLo go if possible. Neither could be trusted in the playoffs.

Keep Lebron and AD. Maybe add players like Mikal Bridges, Kunminga, or OG.

Ever since KCP left there's been a soft spot in the 3&D department. If you can't get the lights out spot up shooter, at least find someone with solid perimeter defense.

Dlo is useless in the playoff. Awful defensively and his offensive style just doesn't fit the playoff needs. Poor performance on both ends

Vando is not useless though. At least he give you a big elite defensive stopper. He did well against guards and bigger wings. Offensively, he was misused by Ham. Everyone knows him a poor 3 point shooter. Why don't Ham make him a cutter to the rim or staying at the dunker spot like GSW did with GPII?
zuju
Senior
And1: 121

Post#52 » by zuju » Tue May 23, 2023 3:41 pm

Is there a way we get back Brook Lopez ?

The consensus seems to be trading Dlo and beasley. Is this draft deep and good so that we can get a really good young player? I want Dlo and Beasley moved. I also won't overpay with the No. 17 for them if the return is not that attractive. Some players want a change of scenery. Find one and get deal down. A 2 way player please. TOR or POR can be target teams.

Christie can be given a chance next season to see the floor consistently. Looked good whenever he played.

AD will loss some weight in this offseason? Stress reaction may mean he is already too heavy for his legs. Play him at the 4 with weight down and speed up. Brook Lopez and Bamba to cover the 5 would be good pair. AD for occasional mins to play small.

Fire Ham first. I put the blame primarily on him for the loss to the Nuggets

Any free agent recommendation? Stanley Johnson for sure. TJ Warran ? Anyone else?
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#53 » by NBAWestFan » Tue May 23, 2023 4:26 pm

Hard decisions need to be made.

Trade Lebron for picks or a young star and less picks

AD
Rui
Reaves
VD
Schroeder

Keep these five hustle guys who play D.

Everyone else except for maybe Bamba might be on the block.

Time for a rebuild around AD.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#54 » by Kilroy » Tue May 23, 2023 8:30 pm

ROballer wrote:

That can still be us though. We don't have a 1st next year but we can easily trade #17 for a 1st in 2024.

His scrub ass son is not getting drafted in the 1st round by anyone anyway. It's a wasted pick but because it's Lebron's son I think we'd do it if it comes to that.

I see him missing a good chunk of next season, agreed. But he'll probably want to give it a go in the playoffs again, especially if we tweak the roster a bit. Yeah, we got swept, but we gave away 2 games and were close in every one of them. I don't think we're done yet, we have another run in us.

I think most of his statements are meant at the FO as a warning in getting him Kyrie, I really do.

Yeah, that may be the case and it's still possible we can draft Bronny... But LeBron isn't a guy that leaves too much to chance... I think playing with his son is bigger than wins and losses for him... It's the ultimate Hollywood scenario...

So, while on a purely basketball level, I don't think anyone honestly believes he's ready to hang it up... from a controlling his own destiny and playing with Bronny, and pitching that to media companies standpoint, I could definitely see him taking things into his own hands...

But, only if his foot is as bad as he made it sound... If he really needs surgery, I could see him taking some extra time away to get things set up and then going from there...

Kyrie would seem to make us more competitive on paper, as long as it doesn't cost us anything major...

But part of me still thinks it'll fall short... There's just something missing in the LeBron AD pairing... I feel like LeBron holds AD back in a way, and I wonder if Kyrie and LeBron teaming up would make it worse...
AD is our anchor on both ends of the court if we want to win... So both LeBron and Kyrie would have to find a way to compliment that without diminishing it... AD needs to be fed to thrive...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#55 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 23, 2023 9:12 pm

I'm goin with Fred vanvleet. Find the guard rotation with Fred, Reaves, Schroeder, or whichever, but with Fred running the point, we should be solid up top
Then AD, RUI, vandy Bron, etc. We should be good. We have solid defenders. Shooters. Ball handlers. Etc
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#56 » by TylersLakers » Tue May 23, 2023 10:35 pm

stan francisco wrote:
stan francisco wrote:LeBron
AD
Reaves
Hachimura
Vando
Walker
Christie
Bamba
17 (Rob can draft so I’m not trading)
47 (Rob can draft so I’m not trading)

Schroeder. Can we sign his defense and skip the offense? I’d resign him on the cheap for his man defense, but he rocks the league’s most inefficient 1 on 5 dribble offense.

I can’t stand when we pay full price for a one way player.

Since D Lo and Beasley both play no D, turn them into S&T offers. Trade them and Troy and Gabriel. Try to bring back some size in the paint. Gotta get up for Victor from SAS.

I’m adding Tristan Thompson to my wishlist.

Tristan would absolutely get a vet minimum next year in my book. I had no idea if he cared if he was playing or not, he seemed so happy just to be a veteran on the bench helping out any way he could. Then he got thrown into the fire and looked totally comfortable. That was amazing. He needs to be back on a vet minimum.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#57 » by loveshaq786 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:37 am

NBAWestFan wrote:Hard decisions need to be made.

Trade Lebron for picks or a young star and less picks

AD
Rui
Reaves
VD
Schroeder

Keep these five hustle guys who play D.

Everyone else except for maybe Bamba might be on the block.

Time for a rebuild around AD.

if giannis truly wants out or Boston blows it up .and LeBron doesn't retire... LeBron and #17 for giannis or Tatum

in regards to getting a PG... Beasley and vando makes sense for brogdon, straight up
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#58 » by loveshaq786 » Wed May 24, 2023 4:07 am

Dream scenario:

AD, D'Angelo (only one year 20mil garunteed deal) and bamba.... jaylen brown, Robert, horford, brogdon

trade Beasley, vando, cash #17 for DeRozan

OR

trade AD, Beasley, vando, For Simmons, #3, jerami grant, and sharpe

than trade Bamba, D'Angelo (multiple years, only 25 garunteed for first year), #3 for bridges, claxton, and Seth (s&t, 7 a year)

Beasley, vando
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#59 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed May 24, 2023 4:49 am

There is not much we can do given assets and cap situation that vaults us from contenders to sure fire contenders. Like I see little out there that we can do that gets us past the nuggets. And this is assuming lebron is coming back and is close to this years production (both are in doubt).

Let’s assume he’s coming back. Then best course of action is to acquire kyrie, while keeping reaves and rui (assume reaves max possible and rui 20mm/yr). Can someone who knows the cap confirm this is possible? We swing for the fences on kyrie and hope he’s sane enough to help us get over the hump. We can’t lose reaves or rui in the process though.

If bron sits out for the year, I I think you gotta blow it up and build around your two best young pieces, reaves and rui. Someone posted ad for 3, sharpe, Simons. I love that deal. Get that done, you start next year with

Scoot
Reaves
Sharpe
Rui
Then flip Simons and vando for a legit center (jarret Allen?)

If scoot becomes a better daaron fox like he’s projected to be, that team is going to absolutely rock the next 5 years and likely be legit title contenders in 3. AD is too injury prone and inconsistent to be the primary guy on a championship team and I’m sorry but just being in the playoff mix isn’t what this franchise should be about
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#60 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed May 24, 2023 6:03 am

He'll be back. He's just trying go use his leverage in order for the front office to go all-in.

He's not doing a season like this again, i think. They ended up being quite close in the end and were in all the games despite being swept, but playing from behind all season probably took its toll. And not making moves until the final minute made it impossible to get guys rested and difficult to figure out the correct roations.

Going into the this offseason the Lakers simply cant pass on the Buddy+Turner-type deals hoping for something better. And if they think Kyrie is the solution, then **** go all-in.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers