ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers offseason 2023

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Re: Lakers offseason 2023 

Post#61 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed May 24, 2023 6:16 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:There is not much we can do given assets and cap situation that vaults us from contenders to sure fire contenders. Like I see little out there that we can do that gets us past the nuggets. And this is assuming lebron is coming back and is close to this years production (both are in doubt).

Let’s assume he’s coming back. Then best course of action is to acquire kyrie, while keeping reaves and rui (assume reaves max possible and rui 20mm/yr). Can someone who knows the cap confirm this is possible? We swing for the fences on kyrie and hope he’s sane enough to help us get over the hump. We can’t lose reaves or rui in the process though.

If bron sits out for the year, I I think you gotta blow it up and build around your two best young pieces, reaves and rui. Someone posted ad for 3, sharpe, Simons. I love that deal. Get that done, you start next year with

Scoot
Reaves
Sharpe
Rui
Then flip Simons and vando for a legit center (jarret Allen?)

If scoot becomes a better daaron fox like he’s projected to be, that team is going to absolutely rock the next 5 years and likely be legit title contenders in 3. AD is too injury prone and inconsistent to be the primary guy on a championship team and I’m sorry but just being in the playoff mix isn’t what this franchise should be about

It might be difficult to get Kyrie and keep current guys on the team and it may come downt to what Dallas and Kyrie wants.

Best case scenario is that they negotiate a sign-and-trade (Dlo+Beas+17th). This would allow the Lakers to bring back the rest of the guys.
Kyrie – Reaves – Vando – Lebron – AD – Schroeder – Rui – Bamba – Christie

If no sign-and-trade, then it’s as a free agent and it comes down to money.
Reaves’ cap hold is at 2.1M, so it would be insanity to let him walk in order to pay Kyrie that money.

Keeping only Reaves: 37M to Kyrie
Keeping Reaves, Vando, 17th: 29M to Kyrie
Keeping Reaves+ Rui: 20M to Kyrie.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#62 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed May 24, 2023 6:29 am

DanishLakerFan wrote:
Showtime:Part2 wrote:There is not much we can do given assets and cap situation that vaults us from contenders to sure fire contenders. Like I see little out there that we can do that gets us past the nuggets. And this is assuming lebron is coming back and is close to this years production (both are in doubt).

Let’s assume he’s coming back. Then best course of action is to acquire kyrie, while keeping reaves and rui (assume reaves max possible and rui 20mm/yr). Can someone who knows the cap confirm this is possible? We swing for the fences on kyrie and hope he’s sane enough to help us get over the hump. We can’t lose reaves or rui in the process though.

If bron sits out for the year, I I think you gotta blow it up and build around your two best young pieces, reaves and rui. Someone posted ad for 3, sharpe, Simons. I love that deal. Get that done, you start next year with

Scoot
Reaves
Sharpe
Rui

If scoot becomes a better daaron fox like he’s projected to be, that team is going to absolutely rock the next 5 years and likely be legit title contenders in 3. AD is too injury prone and inconsistent to be the primary guy on a championship team and I’m sorry but just being in the playoff mix isn’t what this franchise should be about

It might be difficult to get Kyrie and keep current guys on the team and it may come downt to what Dallas and Kyrie wants.

Best case scenario is that they negotiate a sign-and-trade (Dlo+Beas+17th). This would allow the Lakers to bring back the rest of the guys.

Reaves’ cap hold is at 2.1M, so it would be insanity to let him walk in order to pay Kyrie that money.

Wouldn’t we get hard capped in a snt?
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#63 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed May 24, 2023 6:37 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:

Scoot
Reaves
Sharpe
Rui

Wouldn’t we get hard capped in a snt?

We would, so the rest of the team would have to be in place, which isn't easy.

Assuming we match an early offer for Reaves, agree to a deal with Rui and re-sign Dennis, it would be be possible. But difficult.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#64 » by PKABOOICU » Wed May 24, 2023 7:16 am

1. Retain Reaves, Rui, Vando, Schroder
2. Sign and Trade d'lo+17+Beasley for Dame/Van Vleet/ Kyrie/Trae in that order of preference.
3. Sign a 3 point shooting back up big man such as Al Horford/Brook Lopez
4. Convince Lebron to come back 100% Healthy.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#65 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 24, 2023 5:42 pm

Knicks forward Julius Randle shows what DLos future will be like. There will always be a mental barrier and ceiling to break thru each and every year. If u have the playoff mentality u always have it. But shooting failure will always follow u like it has randle
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,382

Post#66 » by JRoy » Wed May 24, 2023 6:32 pm

loveshaq786 wrote:Dream scenario:

AD, D'Angelo (only one year 20mil garunteed deal) and bamba.... jaylen brown, Robert, horford, brogdon

trade Beasley, vando, cash #17 for DeRozan

OR

trade AD, Beasley, vando, For Simmons, #3, jerami grant, and sharpe

than trade Bamba, D'Angelo (multiple years, only 25 garunteed for first year), #3 for bridges, claxton, and Seth (s&t, 7 a year)

Beasley, vando

POR respectfully declines.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#67 » by Kupchak9 » Wed May 24, 2023 10:47 pm

They need a backup 5 who can start when AD is out. Bamba is way too green to play any meaningful minutes.
Malik is okay as a backup but for that role, I'd rather just bring back TBJ.
Ideally, before the draft you can move Bamba, Beasley and the #17 to get upgrades at backup C and backup SF or SG.
Then you can focus on retaining Reaves, Rui, Schroder and TBJ. I'd roll the dice on D'lo, better to bring him back on a 3/60 type deal then just let him walk for nothing. Match any offer for Reaves and Rui. Schroder for the MLE. TBJ for 200% of the vet-minimum.

The core is then:
AD/
Rui/Vando
LeBron/TBJ
Reaves/
D'lo/Schorder

You've retained your core 8 from the previous season. Just use the picks and salaries to get some upgrades at the 2 and 5.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#68 » by chefy » Thu May 25, 2023 12:47 am

PKABOOICU wrote:1. Retain Reaves, Rui, Vando, Schroder
2. Sign and Trade d'lo+17+Beasley for Dame/Van Vleet/ Kyrie/Trae in that order of preference.

this + Walker
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#69 » by chefy » Thu May 25, 2023 12:47 am

this + Walker
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,382

Post#70 » by JRoy » Thu May 25, 2023 6:17 am

Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#71 » by DanishLakerFan » Thu May 25, 2023 10:29 am

Agree with this plan.

Dame wont happen, but Fred VAnVleet is in many ways a better option, than Kyrie and Trae.

Raptors are in a tough spot as well given how their season went and how their contract situation look like. They may even accept a deal that involve Beasley, Bamba and the 17th pick.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#72 » by LAKESHOW » Thu May 25, 2023 2:37 pm

Van vleet is a champion. Who has proven to show up in big moments. Very good shooter. Can also handle. Can also defend. Is also younger. Place him with Reaves and whoever else we retain, will be formidable line up i would stack against any back court
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,283

Post#73 » by tamaraw08 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:55 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Van vleet is a champion. Who has proven to show up in big moments. Very good shooter. Can also handle. Can also defend. Is also younger. Place him with Reaves and whoever else we retain, will be formidable line up i would stack against any back court

Yes, I really like FVV and no to Kyrie and Young but the question is at what cost?
FVV is intending to opt out and is seeking a pay raise and I'm betting Masai don't want Russell if a sign and trade is the only path.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,283

Post#74 » by tamaraw08 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:56 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:

Agree with this plan.

Dame wont happen, but Fred VAnVleet is in many ways a better option, than Kyrie and Trae.

Raptors are in a tough spot as well given how their season went and how their contract situation look like. They may even accept a deal that involve Beasley, Bamba and the 17th pick.

I've been wrong many times but I still think that trade offer is not enough. They probably ask for that remaining FRP as a starter.
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#75 » by DNP-Old » Thu May 25, 2023 9:29 pm

You can't put any of this year's draft picks in a sign & trade deal as the draft occurs prior to free agency.
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#76 » by TylersLakers » Thu May 25, 2023 11:12 pm

Call me crazy but I was re-watching a lot of the Denver series last night and we're just too small.

Under no circumstances in my opinion can we bring back Schroder + D-Lo + Walker + Reaves + Beasley.

Austin Reaves has good size for a 2 but great size for a 1 and I think ideally we should try to find another G to pair him with that has size where Austin can be the technical PG by definition.

We also have to find a C who can play alongside AD at times where AD doesn't have to play 99% of his minutes at the C spot. AD needs to get the foot healthy and rediscover his jump shot. If he can do that, he can play as the PF more.

- Trade Beasley, Bamba, Christie, 17 to Chicago for DeMar and Caruso
- Re-sign or match Austin ($12.2M), 4 years
- Re-sign Rui ($15M), 4 years
- Sign Mason Plumlee (Tax MLE)
- Sign Lonnie Walker to the raise he's eligible for ($8M)
- Sign Troy Brown, Wenyen Gabriel, Tristan Thompson, Justin Holiday to vet minimums or raises off what they made this year
- If Schroder signs to another vet minimum, he'd be eligible for a deal similar to what happened with Batum the last 3-4 years.

PG: Reaves/Caruso/Schroder
SG: DeRozan/Walker/Holiday
SF: Rui/Brown Jr/
PF: LeBron/Vando/Gabriel
C: Davis/Plumlee/Thompson

That's a much, much bigger team.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#77 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 26, 2023 12:00 am

I'm not hatin on the Derozan idea. Like many ideas, dunno if any of our hypothetical can get signed. But I like derozan with Reaves back court
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#78 » by stan francisco » Fri May 26, 2023 1:12 am

I’m also good with letting Reaves fill the DeRozan role. Brook Lopez and FVV would be badass. Or Tyus Jones and Nerlens Noël.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#79 » by PKABOOICU » Fri May 26, 2023 5:41 am

TylersLakers wrote:Call me crazy but I was re-watching a lot of the Denver series last night and we're just too small.

Under no circumstances in my opinion can we bring back Schroder + D-Lo + Walker + Reaves + Beasley.

Austin Reaves has good size for a 2 but great size for a 1 and I think ideally we should try to find another G to pair him with that has size where Austin can be the technical PG by definition.

We also have to find a C who can play alongside AD at times where AD doesn't have to play 99% of his minutes at the C spot. AD needs to get the foot healthy and rediscover his jump shot. If he can do that, he can play as the PF more.

- Sign Troy Brown, Wenyen Gabriel, Tristan Thompson, Justin Holiday to vet minimums or raises off what they made this year
- If Schroder signs to another vet minimum, he'd be eligible for a deal similar to what happened with Batum the last 3-4 years.

couple of things here-
1. Lakers are actually a very big team. They just happened to go up against an even bigger team in Denver. I can't think of a team size as big as the Nuggets or Lakers. They didnt win because they out-muscled us. They won because D'lo and AD played poorly, and they hit every single shot that mattered. We lost 1 game by 11 and 3 games by a grand total of 13 points, combined. Series could have very easily been 3-1 Lakers had AD and D'lo just made their shots consistently.
2. Chicago won't accept our bench who played a grand total of ZERO minutes in the playoffs for arguably 2 of their top 4 players.

Lakers don't need major tweaking. What they need is health, motivation, a desire to compete, and a reliable scoring option who actually makes some shots. D'lo, on paper, fits perfectly. But he had, maybe, 2 good playoff performances. Everything else from him was inexcusable.

AD is who he is, but he's extremely important to the Lakers defense. He's probably the best interior defender in the league. But he needs a back up big man who can get you some rebounds, alter a shot or 2, and preferably knock down an occasional 3 point shot.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#80 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri May 26, 2023 7:11 am

TylersLakers wrote:Call me crazy but I was re-watching a lot of the Denver series last night and we're just too small.

Not a fan of chasing Derozan who isn't a good defender and cant shoot 3s.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers