ImageImageImageImageImage

Should The Lakers Consider Moving AD To Rebuild?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,893

Should The Lakers Consider Moving AD To Rebuild? 

Post#1 » by Memories » Sun May 21, 2023 5:18 pm

Unfortunately, looks like the season over. The good news however, despite some of the question marks, is the team has a clear good future with Reaves and Rui once they are resigned. The bad news however, at least, in terms of competing are as follows:

- Lebron will be 39 this year, and he’s clearly regressing.
- AD while still dominant on defense, offensively, he’s a little inconsistent as a number 1 option.
- DLO in the playoffs is clearly, not a good time. Despite him being one of the reasons the Lakers got this far in the first place.
- little room to actually improve via free agency once you resign Reaves and Rui. DLO is not an asset you let walk away for nothing despite this series performance against the Nuggets.

So, where can the Lakers go from here? How can they improve as far as winning a championship next season? Obviously you can’t just run it back with EVERYBODY. That’s just not gonna cut it. Other teams will get better, and with the new CBA, there will be A LOT of trades made by many teams.

I think the biggest, most obvious answer as far as competing right now, is to somehow get a REAL STARTING LEVEL CENTER. You just can’t have AD not only as your starting center, but as your ONLY center on the team. That’s just not gonna cut it. If the Lakers can somehow go back into somehow trying to get Myles Turner, then this team are title contenders guaranteed. However, if not, then there is a problem, because Kyrie is not the answer for this club’s current issues on the court. And the team can’t trade for him without getting hard capped, which means, you let Reaves, Rui, and DLO walk away for nothing. So that’s not happening.

Which brings me to the purpose of the thread, and an option I imagine, people just don’t like to hear: Trading AD. Why? Well, if we’re not gonna be able to improve the current roster enough to compete besides just resigning our priority players, then this team won’t get far next season anyway. So I’m looking at the future now. Reaves is clearly our guy going forward, and Rui with an off-season with Phil Handy, will improve dramatically. Time to give him a starting and long term role here.

If we look at a team like say…the Blazers. Who are currently looking to trade their 3rd pick so that they can contend with Lillard on the team, then they would make excellent trading partners in an AD trade.

Lakers Trade:
AD

Blazers Trade:
Anfernee Simons
Jusuf Nurkic
3rd pick
3 future first round picks

Lakers get a young, and already great scoring/shooter PG, a short term Center to make our team still be playoff contenders for 2024, the 3rd pick to get us either Brandon Miller or Scoot Anderson, and future firsts to play with. The Blazers will want to do this deal because they won’t ever find a better player for that pick then AD, and they won’t find a better deal for this 3rd pick then this. AD, Lillard, Grant, and their other supporting cast will just be too good to pass up for the Blazers staff.

While we would do this because it gives us a great future, allows Reaves to be given the green light as our 2nd option, and will give us cap space especially when Lebron either retires or leaves in 2024. 2025 will have Jayson Tatum as a free agent, so it’s not like the team would be rebuilding for that long either. Just seems to make too much sense to me. But what say you all?
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Should The Lakers Consider Moving AD To Rebuild? 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Sun May 21, 2023 8:58 pm

I'd trade anybody on the team if that'd make us contenders... I think you're over-valuing AD...
And AD isn't the problem...

If we can't or won't trade LeBron, we might as well keep AD and try again to add pieces around them and settle for a playoff team...

Without trading LeBron or ditching his contract, we're really unlikely to be able to find a piece to put next to AD that could compete for a title... And trading AD is not going to help LeBron over the hump either.

Honestly, I think whatever we do, we're at least 5 years from a championship if we can't miracle our way to a backdoor sweep this series...

The only franchise level talent in this draft is Wemby and he's not coming here... So who else? Trade LeBron for Tatum? Lol...

I don't think anyone wants LeBron at this point... He's borderline Westbrook level right now... So that trade would probably be depressing...
And AD... He might have some value, but probably no where near a championship core piece...

We really need to prepare ourselves for a basement we've never experienced before as Lakers fans...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#3 » by Jedi32 » Sun May 21, 2023 9:39 pm

I felt like this yesterday, but not so much today. We were the best team in the leagues the second half of the season and we went from starting 2-10 to a final four team. I know we're usually of the mindset of chip or bust around here, but I believe we're in good shape. Lebron at 39 has fallen off but he's still great. We need to find another ball handler who can run an offense to load manage him, then we need to sign a back up center for AD. Russell has to go. Rui and Reeves are top priority. We just didn't have enough time to gel. It's like I said in another thread. This team always felt like 08' when we traded for Pau. We were great until we ran into a well oiled team that had more time together than we had. Unfortunately this year we ran into that team in the conference finals and not the finals.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#4 » by JRoy » Sun May 21, 2023 9:53 pm

Memories wrote:Unfortunately, looks like the season over. The good news however, despite some of the question marks, is the team has a clear good future with Reaves and Rui once they are resigned. The bad news however, at least, in terms of competing are as follows:

- AD while still dominant on defense, offensively, he’s a little inconsistent as a number 1 option.
- DLO in the playoffs is clearly, not a good time. Despite him being one of the reasons the Lakers got this far in the first place.
- little room to actually improve via free agency once you resign Reaves and Rui. DLO is not an asset you let walk away for nothing despite this series performance against the Nuggets.

So, where can the Lakers go from here? How can they improve as far as winning a championship next season? Obviously you can’t just run it back with EVERYBODY. That’s just not gonna cut it. Other teams will get better, and with the new CBA, there will be A LOT of trades made by many teams.

I think the biggest, most obvious answer as far as competing right now, is to somehow get a REAL STARTING LEVEL CENTER. You just can’t have AD not only as your starting center, but as your ONLY center on the team. That’s just not gonna cut it. If the Lakers can somehow go back into somehow trying to get Myles Turner, then this team are title contenders guaranteed. However, if not, then there is a problem, because Kyrie is not the answer for this club’s current issues on the court. And the team can’t trade for him without getting hard capped, which means, you let Reaves, Rui, and DLO walk away for nothing. So that’s not happening.

Which brings me to the purpose of the thread, and an option I imagine, people just don’t like to hear: Trading AD. Why? Well, if we’re not gonna be able to improve the current roster enough to compete besides just resigning our priority players, then this team won’t get far next season anyway. So I’m looking at the future now. Reaves is clearly our guy going forward, and Rui with an off-season with Phil Handy, will improve dramatically. Time to give him a starting and long term role here.

If we look at a team like say…the Blazers. Who are currently looking to trade their 3rd pick so that they can contend with Lillard on the team, then they would make excellent trading partners in an AD trade.

Lakers Trade:
AD

Blazers Trade:
Anfernee Simons
Jusuf Nurkic
3rd pick

Lakers get a young, and already great scoring/shooter PG, a short term Center to make our team still be playoff contenders for 2024, the 3rd pick to get us either Brandon Miller or Scoot Anderson, and future firsts to play with. The Blazers will want to do this deal because they won’t ever find a better player for that pick then AD, and they won’t find a better deal for this 3rd pick then this. AD, Lillard, Grant, and their other supporting cast will just be too good to pass up for the Blazers staff.

While we would do this because it gives us a great future, allows Reaves to be given the green light as our 2nd option, and will give us cap space especially when Lebron either retires or leaves in 2024. 2025 will have Jayson Tatum as a free agent, so it’s not like the team would be rebuilding for that long either. Just seems to make too much sense to me. But what say you all?

POR respectfully declines.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#5 » by Landsberger » Mon May 22, 2023 2:03 am

Yes.
But... he's not the primary problem. LeBron is the problem. No matter what we put on the floor you'll see "LeBron close games until he's in the stands. Just how guys like him go out.

Davis is the second issue... as in if anyone thinks he someone to build around post LeBron they are delusional. When you big money is tied up in Russell, a "doneish" LeBron and Davis while you see at least 2 of them as a core to build around you're fooling yourself. Davis has value and moving him quickens the coming ground up rebuild.... so yes.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#6 » by Jaykoolzboy » Mon May 22, 2023 4:46 am

No, AD is only 30 (understand he has healthy issue), it's nearly impossible to find another superstar in early 30s where Lakers can trade AD straight up. Lakers should build a team around AD after LBJ , AD has at least 5 - 6 good all-star years ahead of him.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#7 » by JVL » Mon May 22, 2023 9:11 am

I think it's about time we get some injury report instead of coping that Lebron isn't playing as we'd expect him to due to a right foot injury needing surgery in the off-season.

I also want to know how Davis, who is only 30, can't play 2 decent games in a row.

Shop Dlo for a proper 3&D player, even if they're scarce and overvalued.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#8 » by stan francisco » Mon May 22, 2023 4:03 pm

I say keep AD. He’s perhaps the best defensive big man in a generation. Now we just need to add perimeter defenders.

Forget the offense, it’ll happen. But having him as a roaming help defender will keep us elite until he’s retired. Defense first, then we can discuss the rest later. Without defense, 3-0 happens.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#9 » by Dmagic » Mon May 22, 2023 4:11 pm

lakers should bring in dame for lw4, dlo, picks
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Mon May 22, 2023 4:32 pm

Dmagic wrote:lakers should bring in dame for lw4, dlo, picks

I’ve been thinking similar. Just doubt how realistic it is. This is a guard whose offense certainly compensates for his defense (which is nowhere near as bad as D Lo’s to begin with.)

We would be contenders until one of the two old men (Dame/LBJ) goes down.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
The Hypnotoad
Rookie
And1: 413

Post#11 » by The Hypnotoad » Mon May 22, 2023 6:03 pm

No. AD and Lebron (when healthy) put Lakers in clear title contention. Just need to approve around the margins. Reaves and Rui are keepers. Look for a better PG.
i know people won’t want to hear it, but maybe look to see if they can convince Kyrie to take less money. Dallas clearly didn’t work competitive wise, it might be easy to convince him to rejoin lebron and rekindle his best playing days.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#12 » by sonnyhill » Tue May 23, 2023 3:43 am

Kilroy wrote:I'd trade anybody on the team if that'd make us contenders... I think you're over-valuing AD...
And AD isn't the problem...

If we can't or won't trade LeBron, we might as well keep AD and try again to add pieces around them and settle for a playoff team...

Without trading LeBron or ditching his contract, we're really unlikely to be able to find a piece to put next to AD that could compete for a title... And trading AD is not going to help LeBron over the hump either.

Honestly, I think whatever we do, we're at least 5 years from a championship if we can't miracle our way to a backdoor sweep this series...

The only franchise level talent in this draft is Wemby and he's not coming here... So who else? Trade LeBron for Tatum? Lol...

I don't think anyone wants LeBron at this point... He's borderline Westbrook level right now... So that trade would probably be depressing...
And AD... He might have some value, but probably no where near a championship core piece...

We really need to prepare ourselves for a basement we've never experienced before as Lakers fans...

Very realistic and objective view of the current state of the franchise.

To move both AD and Lebron for draft capital would be painful to watch in the short-term; yet, giving Darvin Ham an opportunity to coach young talent and implement a tougher and defensive-oriented culture would give this Laker franchise more roster continuity and a chance to compete in the future without having to constantly overhaul the roster.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#13 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue May 23, 2023 3:47 am

I don't think the market is strong for AD.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#14 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue May 23, 2023 3:48 am

JRoy wrote:
Memories wrote:Unfortunately, looks like the season over. The good news however, despite some of the question marks, is the team has a clear good future with Reaves and Rui once they are resigned. The bad news however, at least, in terms of competing are as follows:

Lakers Trade:
AD

Blazers Trade:
Anfernee Simons
Jusuf Nurkic
3rd pick

Nah, they slam the phone immediately. That's a disrespectful trade offer.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#15 » by SweetTouch » Tue May 23, 2023 3:50 am

I need someone to ask Ham what made him decide to start three guards in the first game

Like what was the thought process

That game was built for the lakers to take
Stop being so disrespectful.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#16 » by TylersLakers » Tue May 23, 2023 4:46 am

Unless they're trading LeBron - AD needs to be here for at least 1 more season.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#17 » by JRoy » Tue May 23, 2023 4:55 am

Dmagic wrote:lakers should bring in dame for lw4, dlo, picks

Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#18 » by scoobs07 » Tue May 23, 2023 5:49 am

Lakers Trade:
AD

Blazers Trade:
Anfernee Simons
Jusuf Nurkic
3rd pick

I was thinking of a siilar trade along those lines! Mine is significantly more conservative though. The trade is AD and #17 for Simons, Nurkic, and #3. Simons would be a great fit in the backcourt with Reaves, since he is small and quick enough to guard 1s, allowing Reaves to guard the 2s.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#19 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue May 23, 2023 1:47 pm

Kilroy wrote:
I don't think anyone wants LeBron at this point... He's borderline Westbrook level right now... .

I'm not sure if you're underselling Lebron or overselling Westbrick, but their value as players is not even on the same planet, let alone the same ballpark.

Lebron still has high value in the NBA and teams would absolutely trade for him.

Lebron will still be in the NBA years after Westbrick is fighting with fans in China.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#20 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 23, 2023 1:55 pm

AD is awesome as hell and should be the last guy we trade.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers