ImageImageImageImageImage

Trae Young? Legit, or a last ditch effort to avoid Kyrie?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Trae Young? Legit, or a last ditch effort to avoid Kyrie? 

Post#1 » by Kilroy » Tue May 23, 2023 8:37 pm

Assiming this is more than just a smoke screen to head-fake LeBron from Kyrie...

Does Trae move the needle in a LeBron/AD lineup? Is Kyrie better? What are your thoughts?

Trae is definitely younger, I'm just not sure he's a good fit next to LeBron and AD... I'm also not sure he's ready to be that much of a bit-player on the team...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Re: Trae Young? Legit, or a last ditch effort to avoid Kyrie? 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Tue May 23, 2023 8:55 pm

How can we get him? Trade Reeves for younger guys and picks? Trade Russell for expiring and picks? Then send thst collection to ATL?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#3 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 23, 2023 9:18 pm

Just me, but I want a bigger star. Not Big as in popular. But weve always had Stars with size. Kobe 6'6. Shaq, 7. Magic 6'9. Bron.
Our Stars carried the weight of the team, and tough enuff to bang thru the rigors of the league.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#4 » by TylersLakers » Tue May 23, 2023 10:28 pm

No no no no no no no no.

We don't need players like this. It's so annoying.

If LeBron is coming back, there's not many "stars" I'd give up assets for. I'd prioritize high end role players who can function and excel in playoff games. Alex Caruso, Dorian Finney Smith, Kuzma, Josh Hart, DeMar DeRozan, etc. If Portland would take Rui, Beasley, Bamba and 2 1st round picks for Dame - absolutely. If the Celtics would take that same package for Jaylen Brown - that would be great. Take our core 4 (AD, LeBron, Reaves, Rui) and build on that. That's 4 players that can play in playoff games and we need 7 of them.

We have the following assets:

- Contract of Beasley ($16M)
- Contract of Bamba ($10M)
- Draft picks - #17, #47, 2029 1st, 3 second round picks
- MLE (might be a full MLE depending on what we decide with D-Lo)
- BLE ($5M a season if we have the full MLE)

If we keep Reaves' hold ($2.2M), Rui ($18M), Christie ($1.7M), LeBron ($47.6M), Vando ($4.7M) and AD ($40.6) that combines up to $115M. Which means we'll have around $20M to offer free agents if we renounce everyone (D-Lo, Lonnie, Bamba, Beasley). If the opportunities for Beasley and Bamba aren't great and we can't use those contracts to get better, we can simply renounce them and have $20M in cap space to look at a free agent like Josh Hart or Kyle Kuzma. We would then have a room exception of $7.7M - Imagine signing Kuzma and using the room exception on Mason Plumlee and Dennis Schroder.

PG: Schroder/
SG: Reaves/Christie
SF: Kuzma/Vando
PF: LeBron/Rui
C: AD/Plumlee

Plus two draft picks, vet minimums.

All of a sudden we have a way bigger team that's more ready to win a playoff series.

DO NOT TRADE PICKS AND PLAYERS FOR A SMALL GUARD WHO CAN'T DEFEND IN A PLAYOFF SERIES.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Wed May 24, 2023 2:17 am

TyCobb wrote:How can we get him? Trade Reeves for younger guys and picks? Trade Russell for expiring and picks? Then send thst collection to ATL?

Kinda my thought as well... I think the article was suggesting a S/T with DLo... But it all just sounded a little too Lakers friendly for reality...
Honestly it sounds like nothing more than the FO trying to fake-hustle for LeBron... I don't think anyone actually thinks they can create a deal to get him...

But maybe...

That said, this is more about the 'why' rather than the 'how'... Do we even want Trae? Is he a good fit, presumably next to AD and LeBron for another season or so... And maybe after LeBron rides off into the Sunset...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#6 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed May 24, 2023 5:52 am

I cant think this is legit.

If they do want to go down that road and get a one-dimensional offensive player then go after Kyrie.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#7 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed May 24, 2023 1:26 pm

Since when is so and so player to the Lakers in the offseason a new thing?
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,289

Post#8 » by tamaraw08 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:10 pm

Kilroy wrote:
TyCobb wrote:How can we get him? Trade Reeves for younger guys and picks? Trade Russell for expiring and picks? Then send thst collection to ATL?

Kinda my thought as well... I think the article was suggesting a S/T with DLo... But it all just sounded a little too Lakers friendly for reality...
Honestly it sounds like nothing more than the FO trying to fake-hustle for LeBron... I don't think anyone actually thinks they can create a deal to get him...

But maybe...

That said, this is more about the 'why' rather than the 'how'... Do we even want Trae? Is he a good fit, presumably next to AD and LeBron for another season or so... And maybe after LeBron rides off into the Sunset...

I wanted to reply right away and scream OVERRATED!!!!
But I checked first and per BBREF. This guy is an overrated shooter indeed.
Career playoff 3pt% of 29.7%.
Career RS 3pt% of 35%, last season he shot a putrid 33.5%, 2 other seasons he failed to hit above 35%. :banghead:
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#9 » by PKABOOICU » Fri May 26, 2023 5:49 am

Trae Young shot 32% from 3 this season and led the league in turnovers the last 5 years- ever since his rookie year.
You don't want that type of player on your team when you're competing for a championship.

Fred Van Vleet should be our #1 FA target this offseason.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#10 » by JVL » Fri May 26, 2023 10:36 am

Star guards are gonna go off for 50 every game on us.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#11 » by Ball4life32 » Fri May 26, 2023 1:26 pm

PKABOOICU wrote:Trae Young shot 32% from 3 this season and led the league in turnovers the last 5 years- ever since his rookie year.
You don't want that type of player on your team when you're competing for a championship.

Fred Van Vleet should be our #1 FA target this offseason.

Hawks are one of the least turnover worthy teams in the nba with Trae running the team. He also shot terrible in his first 20 games which bogs down his %’s…..he hovered around 36-37% from 3 the rest of the season.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#12 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 26, 2023 8:57 pm

We all in agreement we don't want Trae. But I'm gonna play the opposing side here for a moment. AD pairing will pick and roll teams to death. Trae would turn that corner so quick, or hit the easy lob all day long. That has more longevity than AD Bron
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#13 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat May 27, 2023 11:44 pm

Amazing that this board has a hard on for fvv but Is a hard pass on Trae young. They both are not what this team needs in my mind but wanting the inferior guy makes no sense. Post after post in various threads begging for fvv (a no d 34% chucker on the decline), while raps fans can’t wait to get rid of him.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,257

Post#14 » by heezyo2o » Sun May 28, 2023 12:05 am

I've never been a Trae fan, but in the playoffs someone who can create and hit big shots at the end of games would help. Check out his game log against Boston, https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/y/youngtr01.html
Other than the last game against, I'd take that. Can't depend on someone off the bench like Lonnie to get hot. AD sometimes barely touches the ball at the of games these playoffs. If Lebron doesn't wind down the clock then take a shot, you have two man game with Reaves and Rui instead. Yeah I think Trae would help. Would have to figure out defense, but the Lakers did win with Rondo playing down the stretch.

With Lebron and AD, Trae would probably get a lot more easier looks too. And during the regular season, can eat up minutes and shots when Lebron and AD rest
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#15 » by stan francisco » Mon May 29, 2023 12:24 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:Amazing that this board has a hard on for fvv but Is a hard pass on Trae young. They both are not what this team needs in my mind but wanting the inferior guy makes no sense. Post after post in various threads begging for fvv (a no d 34% chucker on the decline), while raps fans can’t wait to get rid of him.

I did not know that.

How would you feel about Tyus Jones?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#16 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:55 am

stan francisco wrote:
Showtime:Part2 wrote:Amazing that this board has a hard on for fvv but Is a hard pass on Trae young. They both are not what this team needs in my mind but wanting the inferior guy makes no sense. Post after post in various threads begging for fvv (a no d 34% chucker on the decline), while raps fans can’t wait to get rid of him.

I did not know that.

Very logical and smart choice but idk how we attain him
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,182

Post#17 » by SlimShady83 » Tue May 30, 2023 8:49 am

Rather Dame Time or Trae Young over Kyrie any day ... Dallas not going to trade with Lakers, so I think Lakers are safe :)

Edit: Neither of the 3 guards can or will play Defense, so In saying that I'd choose Young because he Is younger :) and If Dallas keeps Kyrie and signs him I can see Luka leaving in free agency when ever he due :) ... :)
Bring back Defense
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#18 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:35 am

Kilroy wrote:

But maybe...

I think “how” you get him is the answer to your question of “why” you get him. Lakers don’t really have a lot of tradable assets, specially if you’re not interested in moving Reaves.

If you can get Young for the dirt low price of picks and a player like Dlo that you don’t want to keep, then that’s kind of your answer as to why you’d want Young. Young has a lot of flaws, but at that price you can’t say no. Also why it makes little sense for Atlanta.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#19 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Thu Jun 1, 2023 11:50 pm

I'm okay with Trae. Rather have him than DLo.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#20 » by stan francisco » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:41 pm

Showtime:Part2 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

I did not know that.

Very logical and smart choice but idk how we attain him

If CP3 is signed by MEM to be Ja’s mentor, Tyus might not get many minutes. At that point, we might have a shot.

I think he might be the most underrated PG in the league.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers