ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Roster & Rotations

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Re: Lakers Roster & Rotations 

Post#61 » by Godfather13 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 7:49 pm

BasketballAnon wrote:So the Lakers are going to completely overhaul the roster again before All-Star break, right?

Hope not. lol

What did you have in mind? Always game for some interesting trade ideas.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,970

Post#62 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:21 pm

I don't like Ham's rotation ATM. He's playing too many guys and they're not getting the time to gel and flow. Need to choose between Hayes and Wood. Can't be playing Reddish AND Prince over 20 minutes a game. When Vando returns he has to start, Prince also can't start at SG, he's not quick enough. Rotation SHOULD be:

G - D'Lo [30] | Vincent [22] | JHS
G - Cam [16] | Austin [30] | Max
F - Bron [34] | Prince [16]
F - Vando [16] | Rui [20]
C - AD [36] | Wood or Hayes[16], not both
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#63 » by TylersLakers » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:18 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:I don't like Ham's rotation ATM. He's playing too many guys and they're not getting the time to gel and flow. Need to choose between Hayes and Wood. Can't be playing Reddish AND Prince over 20 minutes a game. When Vando returns he has to start, Prince also can't start at SG, he's not quick enough. Rotation SHOULD be:

Totally agree. Not sure why Hayes is playing. Based on the roster currently with no Vincent and no Vando, I'd have:

D-Lo/Reddish/LeBron/AD/Wood

with Reaves, Rui, Prince off the bench.

Rui has to start playing more minutes.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548

Post#64 » by stan francisco » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:43 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:I don't like Ham's rotation ATM. He's playing too many guys and they're not getting the time to gel and flow. Need to choose between Hayes and Wood. Can't be playing Reddish AND Prince over 20 minutes a game. When Vando returns he has to start, Prince also can't start at SG, he's not quick enough. Rotation SHOULD be:

I agree with that reasoning but have a different idea of a starting lineup.

Based on defense, D Lo should not start. His defense would hurt our second unit less than it does our starters due to lesser competition to defend.

If we disregard defense, I agree with your lineup, but I’d rather start Reaves at PG and go big.

Our second unit needs D Lo’s playmaking more than our starters do.

We have two unicorn 7 footers who can play PnR at the perimeter. Both are three point threats.

Ham needs to grow some balls, make some tough decisions and be the strategic aggressor at least in one game. Try going big.

AD is a 6’11” wing. Use it to our advantage!!! LeBron is an all time great passer on the block. As he gets older, use him like a Malone type PF.

Go big and make opposing coaches adjust and back pedal from tip-off.

PG: Reaves / Russell / Vincent / Fino
SG: Vando / Reddish / Christie
SF: Davis / Vanderbilt / Prince
PF: James / Hachimura / Hayes
CTR: Wood / Davis / Castleton
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#65 » by Jody Smokz » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:08 am

IDK how you've watched games this season to come to the conclusion that DLo shouldn't be starting...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by stan francisco » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:01 am

Jody Smokz wrote:IDK how you've watched games this season to come to the conclusion that DLo shouldn't be starting...

I watch the defense. That’s how.

His offense is great. That’s never been his problem.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#67 » by Godfather13 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:28 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:IDK how you've watched games this season to come to the conclusion that DLo shouldn't be starting...

I watch the defense. That’s how.

His offense is great. That’s never been his problem.

100%. DLo was responsible for 3 of the 15 ORBs last night > 1.73 pts per ORB(26/15) > 5.2 free pts for Philly

His level of resistance to the least bit of physicality in boxing out is astonishing. Add that to the lack of speed, which gets targeted on cuts and other off ball movement actions, I bet his 17 ppg gets cancelled off to around 4-5 ppg on most days.

This dude is not a winner - PERIOD! We overpaid two guys who were totally unplayable for good reasons in the playoffs - him and Vando, cos we wanted to "keep the core together", but at least DLo is tradable.

*Others responsible for poor box outs on ORBs, which is 11 of the 15. 4 of them were just bad bounces, which weren't caused due to mistakes -
- Bron 1(embarrassing back cut by Batum)
- AD 1(was a slight nudge by Embiid - no call obviously)
- Austin 1(doesn't even try or care)
- TP 1(sad effort)
- Hayes 4(2 of them were unbelievably bad. Totally lacks concentration. Not a keeper for sure, if we're serious)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by stan francisco » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:38 pm

ESPN just said we’re -3 with D Lo on the floor for the season. Eye test doesn’t lie.

Minus your take on Vando, I agree 100%. Personally, I can’t wait to get his wing defense and hustle back on the court. Plays hard! Doesn’t avoid contact but seeks it!
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,343

Post#69 » by Dr Aki » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:41 am

Godfather13 wrote:
BasketballAnon wrote:So the Lakers are going to completely overhaul the roster again before All-Star break, right?

Hope not. lol

The Lakers have always needed a perimeter guy that can physically put rim pressure AND shoot off the dribble coming off a high screen.

DLo doesn't do the rim pressure against physical defenders. Austin doesn't really do that either.

From this point of reference, there was a possibility of Kyrie, but that boat has sailed. Beal and Lillard was available, but Lakers didn't have the trade pieces to get those guys. Lavine is the only guy available right now that simultaenously fills those needs in one package.

Lavine doesn't do off ball stuff, and he doesn't defend particularly well, but he would do better athletically against say Murray, and Fox, and other elite guards at the point of attack than either DLo or Austin. That said, 40M is a massive contract and there is no way outside of a DLo, Gabe and JHS (which JUST makes it to the minimum outgoing salary to match Lavine), and pick/swaps would make sense for the Lakers.

Chicago probably says no, unless everyone pulls out of the running and only leaves the Lakers as the only suitor like the Clippers did with Philly for Harden.

As for alternatives, Malcolm Brogdon (22.5M) is a potential target, so is Terry Rozier (23.2M). Hell, even Lonny Walker would've filled this need.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#70 » by Godfather13 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:07 pm

stan francisco wrote:ESPN just said we’re -3 with D Lo on the floor for the season. Eye test doesn’t lie.

Minus your take on Vando, I agree 100%. Personally, I can’t wait to get his wing defense and hustle back on the court. Plays hard! Doesn’t avoid contact but seeks it!

Short analysis on Vando - His defense, while being very good, is heavily flawed, and doesn't nearly begin to cancel out how badly he taxes our offensive flow. If you told me we had AC/Jrue/Matisse/Jaden's defense with Vando's offense, I would understand, but Vando ain't good enough to justify the roster spot. B- Defense & F Offense. Negative impact player overall, and his career numbers prove it beyond doubt. Dude's just an insanely athletic guy who severely lacks any offensive or defensive skill.

We went to the WCF, despite, not because of Ham, DLo & Vando.

Last year, everything was bound to look better in comparison than the dark cloud of misery that was Russel Westbrook. It's imprtant to realize that and begin comparing ourselves to the real contenders, not the worst version of ourselves.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:56 pm

Godfather13 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:ESPN just said we’re -3 with D Lo on the floor for the season. Eye test doesn’t lie.

Short analysis on Vando - His defense, while being very good, is heavily flawed, and doesn't nearly begin to cancel out how badly he taxes our offensive flow. If you told me we had AC/Jrue/Matisse/Jaden's defense with Vando's offense, I would understand, but Vando ain't good enough to justify the roster spot. B- Defense & F Offense. Negative impact player overall, and his career numbers prove it beyond doubt. Dude's just an insanely athletic guy who severely lacks any offensive or defensive skill.

Last year, everything was bound to look better in comparison than the dark cloud of misery that was Russel Westbrook. It's imprtant to realize that and begin comparing ourselves to the real contenders, not the worst version of ourselves.

Good post. Good points.

I fully agree with your assessment of D Lo and Ham.

I do still value Vando’s defense higher than you do. Respect. We need grit, we’re lacking it right now. I rate his defense as being much more important than D Lo’s offense. Vando was a major pain in the arse for Curry and Ja Morant etc. In my eye-test-only opinion he was a great disturbance and difference maker a la MWP / Ariza until his knee got twisted before the Denver series.

Like them, he was effective without really playing any significantly polished role on offense. Hustle for rebounds and setting screens, hanging around for full court pressure on the lead guard bringing it up, giving the defense a chance to get back, crashing the boards, chase down blocks…

He fills gaps for us that we currently have. I hope his three starts falling at a high clip. Then it’s a different ballgame altogether.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#72 » by Godfather13 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:56 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

Hope not. lol

The Lakers have always needed a perimeter guy that can physically put rim pressure AND shoot off the dribble coming off a high screen.

DLo doesn't do the rim pressure against physical defenders. Austin doesn't really do that either.

From this point of reference, there was a possibility of Kyrie, but that boat has sailed. Beal and Lillard was available, but Lakers didn't have the trade pieces to get those guys. Lavine is the only guy available right now that simultaenously fills those needs in one package.

Lavine doesn't do off ball stuff, and he doesn't defend particularly well, but he would do better athletically against say Murray, and Fox, and other elite guards at the point of attack than either DLo or Austin. That said, 40M is a massive contract and there is no way outside of a DLo, Gabe and JHS (which JUST makes it to the minimum outgoing salary to match Lavine), and pick/swaps would make sense for the Lakers.

Chicago probably says no, unless everyone pulls out of the running and only leaves the Lakers as the only suitor like the Clippers did with Philly for Harden.

As for alternatives, Malcolm Brogdon (22.5M) is a potential target, so is Terry Rozier (23.2M). Hell, even Lonny Walker would've filled this need.

Yeah. I agree mostly about the lack of athleticism up front.

Its embarrassing what Austin has turned into from this -
Read on Twitter

Dude was actually a well above average defender, who has just stopped giving a **** anymore. And I don't wanna say it happened this season, cos he was doing the same in the playoffs sporadically.

DLo - despite his effort to be be better in some ways, off ball, his resistance to physicality might cost him his spot.

I'm still willing to watch Gabe for another 10-15 games - give him time to let his shooting regress back to normal. He's a good player & sometimes these shooting slumps happen to the best of them. That said, I'm fine with him being another system defender, mostly off ball, as long as we don't rely on him as the POA guy every night, cos he just doesn't have the size.

Lavine - I see him as a Beal contract. Net negative, considering the money he's owed. And I find his addition, without AC worthy of using up all the tradable assets we have in picks and DLo, Gave, etc. And we just don't have the assets to get AC+Lavine.

One thing that changes that is the Lakers FO getting starry eyed for their next shiny star & throwing the kitchen sink at the Bulls for their next star pair of Lavine+AD - which is probably a great core for a 28 win team for the next 5 years.

So so I'm kinda numb to any and all Bulls speculation/3rd star ideas.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:05 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

Hope not. lol

I always thought Klay would end up here before his career is over, for his legacy’s and dad’s sake. He has a rock solid midrange shot and is not afraid to attack. Obviously he’d open up the floor with his threes.

He’s about to renegotiate with GSW. Don’t know what the situation is but I’d say he’s a perfect fit for another two three years or so if injury free if we can somehow be that lucky.

Who we need probably wants rings. We need to start playing like real contenders.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#74 » by heezyo2o » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:34 pm

stan francisco wrote:I always thought Klay would end up here before his career is over, for his legacy’s and dad’s sake. He has a rock solid midrange shot and is not afraid to attack. Obviously he’d open up the floor with his threes.

He’s about to renegotiate with GSW. Don’t know what the situation is but I’d say he’s a perfect fit for another two three years or so if injury free if we can somehow be that lucky.

Who we need probably wants rings. We need to start playing like real contenders.

How do you not like Dlo, but want Klay. At this stage, Klay is just a chucker that can't defend anymore
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:37 pm

heezyo2o wrote:
stan francisco wrote:I always thought Klay would end up here before his career is over, for his legacy’s and dad’s sake. He has a rock solid midrange shot and is not afraid to attack. Obviously he’d open up the floor with his threes.

How do you not like Dlo, but want Klay. At this stage, Klay is just a chucker that can't defend anymore

Honestly, I only watch Lakers games, so pardon me if I’ve missed his recent deterioration.

To me, someone who is afraid of contact defensively is a non starter. Period. That’s my reasoning.

Only one of those two players has a clue defensively. Only one of the two is a winner. The other fears physical contact and shrinks in the big moments. Klay at least doesn’t fear contact or big moments. Even if slower now he’s still a smart positional defender, always was. D Lo has no clue, goes under screens on shooters and over screens on cutters, is out of position half of the time.

That’s gotta be why they cut his pay in half and why he’s finally trying on defense.

Yes, I’d take any good defense-only difference making guard over an offense-only D Lo. All day long, 365 days of the year, because defense wins championships.

Please watch his defense for one full game. D Lo ‘hides’ at the mid side of the key every chance he gets, where there’s no defense needed. He looks active but accomplishes little or nothing. He’s either afraid of trying or clueless. His offense suggests he’s not clueless.

/$0.02
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#76 » by Godfather13 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:03 am

stan francisco wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

Good post. Good points.

I do still value Vando’s defense higher than you do. Respect. We need grit, we’re lacking it right now. I rate his defense as being much more important than D Lo’s offense. Vando was a major pain in the arse for Curry and Ja Morant etc. In my eye-test-only opinion he was a great disturbance and difference maker a la MWP / Ariza until his knee got twisted before the Denver series.

Like them, he was effective without really playing any significantly polished role on offense. Hustle for rebounds and setting screens, hanging around for full court pressure on the lead guard bringing it up, giving the defense a chance to get back, crashing the boards, chase down blocks…

He fills gaps for us that we currently have. I hope his three starts falling at a high clip. Then it’s a different ballgame altogether.

If Vando's 3 starts falling - ever, he becomes a 25-30 mil player. Till then.. no mas
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by stan francisco » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:50 am

Godfather13 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

Good post. Good points.

If Vando's 3 starts falling - ever, he becomes a 25-30 mil player. Till then.. no mas

I know. It won’t happen. It’ll be fun to see what gives with our defensive efficiency numbers once he’s back in rotation.

D Lo played great offense against Detroit, but Hood-Schifino’s (who is a rookie) defense is already lightyears better than D Lo’s. There’s simply no comparison.

I hope Christie is out starting SG later in the season. Plays hard, makes no mental mistakes, good consistent shot form. His high release reminds me of Kobe’s release.

Currently, Hayes is defending the paint better than Wood does. Overall, Wood seems to be the smarter player of the two.

Darvin, go big!!!

Use AD the way Durant is used on offense; as a 6’11” wing. He handles the ball as well as many point guards. Start AD and Wood and LeBron as our frontline, run pick n rolls and pick and pops with AD and Wood, make LBJ a low post passer for cutting guards like Reaves etc! Defend that.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by stan francisco » Thu Dec 7, 2023 1:01 am

Thrilled to see Vando pick it up where he left off before his knee injury against GSW. He and Rui back balances our previously spotty defensive efforts and balance. He’s this team’s Ariza minus the offense. Yesterday his extra efforts on the offensive glass gave us multiple extra possessions. Effort!

Reaves played a deep playoffs run, then Team USA all summer. I’d guess he’s a bit burnt out and being ‘rested’ from being a starter so he can catch his breath and slowly build it up, hopefully he starts peaking by April or so. Actually, I hope he’s starting on Dec 16 after D Lo is traded to a no-defense team.

My opinion on D Lo hadn’t changed. Great offense, but even greater suckiness on defense. Net negative, unless he has a stellar offensive night. He jogged back on two possessions yesterday resulting in a Durant bucket each time, unimpeded. Durant blew by him. He’s slow, has no lateral quickness and doesn’t feed off of contact but fears it.

AD is finally injury free and playing like it. He still checks out mentally for stretches. Not sure what his focus problem is all about. Best defensive big man in the league. I’d use him as a Durant type wing on offense, start him at SF offensively and Wood at C so they can run a high PNR or PNP. I’d switch him and LBJ on defense for the twin tower defensive effect in the post.

LBJ is playing great so far this season. Amazing feat given his age. Darvin, 40MPG for him is stupid and shortsighted. Remember Kobe’s tendons got stiff with age. Use the long term noggin.

Christian Wood has played pretty well. I like how he’s now trying harder on defense.

Prince isn’t starter material. Fino is, if you give him more minutes. Great defense, good midrange and post game.

Still waiting to get to study Gabe Vincent in full health.

Christie is a very promising player. Very rarely makes mental mistakes. Needs to trust that he can be more assertive on offense.

Reddish has played good defense.

Hayes has played decent defense but makes mental mistakes.

Rui is a total badass.

With Vando’s intensity on defense, I’m now a believer that we’re a contender this season.

Defense!
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,194

Post#79 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:16 am

I also back that idea Vando is one of the Keys. He's the hustle guy, and he should be in the gym practicing that jump shot everyday.
If we meet up with Milwaukee in the tourney finals, that is an excellent test to see where we stand thus far in early season
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#80 » by TyCobb » Thu Dec 7, 2023 7:46 pm

Are we really going to trade Russell and Rui for Lavine in a month? Hmm
Read more, learn more, change your posts.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers