ImageImageImageImageImage

Thanks and salutations to D-Fish

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,943

Thanks and salutations to D-Fish 

Post#1 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:55 am

I know this subject has been broached previously, but I found myself marveling during tonight's game at the incredible turn of fortune we've been blessed with at the point.

What a refreshing breath of fresh air it's been to go from an unprofessional douche bag like William Parker -- possibly the most unlikeable player I've been forced to endure in my 20-some years as a Laker fan -- to the consumate champion that is Derek Fisher.

Granted, it's easy to praise a player after he shot like Fish did tonight. But still. Parker, given the keys to one of the elite sports franchises in the entire world, had the gall to tank in a contract year and is on the verge of getting bounced out of the league. What a surprise.

Derek, meanwhile, is simply doing what he always has for 10 plus years -- giving an honest, hard-working effort every single night.

He can't do much else but shoot. His playmaking skills are virtually non-existent. His defense is average at best. He misses as many layups as anybody in the NBA.

But I know I speak for many of you when I say I am damn, damn glad to have him back on the team.
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#2 » by -G- » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:08 am

Amen.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#3 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:10 am

Dear Fish,

I love you

Phil
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#4 » by Slava » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:12 am

I was going to make a Derek Fisher appreciation thread myself but you take the honors Sed.

Fisher's been awesome for this team. He embodies everything that our team has shown this season in terms of dedication, honesty, hardwork and facing any situation with fearlessness. No better teammate than Fisher and we're just grateful to have guys like LO & Fisher in our locker room to support our young guys.

He's as reliable as a church on the court, minimum turnovers, rarely forces a shot and makes an open shot consistently well. Above all, he along with Robert Horry has always been a Kobe Bryant man and knows how to play alongside Kobe. He's brought in trust, composure and an immeasurable amount of leadership to this team.

Thanks for the good work Fish! Laker fan community loves you.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#5 » by zen_4_10 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:13 am

+1 with all of the above - except I'm not Phil 8)

He fills the so much of what this team was lacking before intangibly.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#6 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:25 am

Attitude is everything.

That should be engraved in capital letters on Fish's gravestone.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#7 » by MAMBAEMD » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:31 am

DFish has solidified the PG position for us.

I cannot say enough about the importance of his acquisition for the Lakers. It was fortuitous that he was able to get out of his contract with the Jazz. Bless him and his daughter who has a very rare form of eye cancer that can eventually lead to blindness. He moved here to have better access to special medical care for retinoblastoma.

If I see DFish in the street, I'd offer to buy him a beer.
:clap:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#8 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:34 am

I'm glad I had the chance to bump into him at the Alamodome a few years back. I told him, "You and Horry are the only guys who don't make me embarrassed at times to be a Laker fan." He just laughed and shook his head.

Between Shaq's laziness and Kobe's arrogance, he knew exactly what I meant.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#9 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:35 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Attitude is everything.

That should be engraved in capital letters on Fish's gravestone.

Yeah, when he came back I didnt suffer any illusions that he would be a different player or a changed player. ( however, his game has matured alot since his first go round.) but his attitude and leadership is what this team needed and it doesnt hurt that he can hit a shot. great pick up.

Ps. come on Zen, you can admit it.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#10 » by SashAlex » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:47 am

Fisher's caught his fish ! ZZZzzzzzz...
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#11 » by Tommy Trojan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:52 am

I remember when we signed him over the summer and people on here were ragging on Mitch for signing him. But, he has done more then what any of us can imagine.

Thank you Mr. Fish.
crackjack
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#12 » by crackjack » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:07 am

He can't do much else but shoot. His playmaking skills are virtually non-existent. His defense is average at best. He misses as many layups as anybody in the NBA.

Well, that littlel "provide leadership" thing he does is kind of important to some of us.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#13 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:24 am

I'm talking strictly game. Intangible-wise, D is off the charts.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#14 » by milesfides » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:30 am

Derek Fisher has been huge. Granted, Smush Parker didn't set the bar so high, having suffered nothing less than a cataclysmic meltdown and becoming a team cancer.

Derek Fisher's leadership benefits were anticipated and for good reason. His effort and confidence mirror Kobe's. Kobe's finally gotten a co-captain that can help shoulder the leadership burdens for this young team. I think he's been a remarkable stabilizing force.

But none of that is surprising to me. What's surprising to me, is at nearly 34 years old, Derek Fisher is playing the best ball of his career. He is shooting a career high 48%, which is 8% above his career average. That is shocking. I had no idea he was capable of doing that - he's never been that accurate, even as a spot-up shooter getting tons of open looks due to playing with Shaq and Kobe.

Shooting 48% as an almost exclusive jump-shooter is elite. He's become an elite shooter, among the league's best, and that, to me, is the biggest surprise. You may not be able to teach an old dog new tricks, but he can improve on his old ones.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Re: Thanks and salutations to D-Fish 

Post#15 » by doozyj » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:51 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:What a refreshing breath of fresh air it's been to go from an unprofessional douche bag like William Parker

You should stop beating around the bush and tell us how your really feel about Smush. :D

Derek is a God Send to Lakers fans. He is a class act on and off the court. I will be happy if he retires a Laker. :clap:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#16 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:55 am

Glad you brought those numbers up. Very interesting.

I guess I never realized, or was too willing to gloss over thanks to his effort level, what a poor shooter he's been throughout his career. Last four seasons: 35, 39, 41 and 38 percent from the floor. He's had as many seasons under 40 percent as he's had over.

No other way to slice it -- horrible.

I would have bet the house he was a career 40 percent shooter from 3-point range. I do remember him having his moments, such as 0.4 and setting a series record for 3s against the Spurs in '01. But never would I have guessed his %s were so bad. Guess having the best inside-outside combo in NBA history covers up for a lot.

As you said, just makes D's contributions this season all the more impressive.
Day in the Life
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#17 » by Day in the Life » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:52 am

Derek Fisher and Jordan Farmar. Great and great.
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#18 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:15 am

Thank you fish for choosing to come back to LA.

Thank you mitch for choosing Fisher over the other FA pg's this past summer.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#19 » by hermes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:34 pm

fish your our hero
zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#20 » by zen_4_10 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:47 pm

Another example of Fish's importance could be looked at in terms of Utah's struggles combined with our success so far.

Perhaps it's just coincedence but Utah has begun to look like a team that's young and talented but lacks the same leadership. I think Fish REALLY helped Deron last year.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers