Mike Miller: Lakers doing well, credit goes to Kobe Bryant

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Mike Miller: Lakers doing well, credit goes to Kobe Bryant 

Post#1 » by Slava » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:14 am

"Fisher is a good shooter, but Kobe creates a lot of that," Miller said. "[Bryant] is a great basketball player. He demands a lot of attention. And when you demand a lot of attention, a lot of guys get open shots."

ESPN

I was reading a lot of posts in the game thread that Kobe's shooting is hurting the team and stuff but Mike Miller is speaking the truth when he says what he did. There's absolutely no damn way our players are going to score the way they are unless there's a player like Kobe, demanding attention and double teams from the opposition all the time.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#2 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:37 am

Kobe is getting credit here for making teammates better. That is a great compliment specially from someone he has had issues with in the past.
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#3 » by SashAlex » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:41 am

Someone in the game thread also said that Kobe's declining. That's funny ! The opinion coming from a professional player is much closer to the truth. Now, when we have guys like Fisher and Farmar, also Sasha and Radman when healthy and no struggling, Kobe is vital, 'cause without him our perimeter shooting would be poor. He feels the game better than anyone in the league !

And now, when the team is rolling, he can allow himself a day with 8 of 22 FGM. Why not ? No need to push and get hurt, shooting players have always been much less injured than those a-la LeBron, Wade etc.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#4 » by tkb » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:55 am

Nice quote from Miller. The beef they had in the past is long gone. They were good friends on Team USA it seemed, and Kobe has been praising Mike Miller a lot since. When asked to rank the top shooters in the game, Miller was one of the first names Kobe mentioned and he also went into detail why Miller is such a good shooter.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#5 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:02 am

tkb wrote:Nice quote from Miller. The beef they had in the past is long gone. They were good friends on Team USA it seemed, and Kobe has been praising Mike Miller a lot since. When asked to rank the top shooters in the game, Miller was one of the first names Kobe mentioned and he also went into detail why Miller is such a good shooter.

Good to know that Miller has forgiven the elbow to the throat from Kobe and Kobe has forgiven the hard foul by Miller a couple years back.

This quote does point out that the league is taking notice that the Lakers are no longer a one-man operation and that Kobe is trusting his teammates and they are responding.
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#6 » by Tommy Trojan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:20 am

Not to take anything away from Kobe, but it's more like a team effort. Fisher, Farmar, Bynum, LO, Ariza, Luke and the list goes on...
shortodom
Veteran
And1: 57

Post#7 » by shortodom » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:01 am

how can we get Miller here? Vlad and Crittenton for him?
KobeFan
Junior
And1: 2

Post#8 » by KobeFan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:09 am

LOL @ Vlad & Critt for Miller. Or at least thats what West would do if Kupchak went to him with that offer.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#9 » by milesfides » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:29 am

I never thought there was any beef between Kobe and Mike Miller. Miller threw an elbow that drew blood from Kobe. Kobe retaliated later with an elbow that knocked Miller down. Immediately after Miller fell, Kobe extended a hand to help him up.

This was an isolated incident, an exchange of two hard fouls. Neither foul caused any confrontation between Kobe and Miller. Both players downplayed the incident after the game. Kobe said it was a defensive message to his team. IIRC, he also said he didn't think Miller's elbow was intentional.

I saw no lingering effects between the two whatsoever.

Beef is a problem one person has with another, and I never saw a problem between Kobe and Mike Miller, even before Team USA.

I've always been a Mike Miller fan, and I've long believed he'd be a great addition to the Lakers. His shooting prowess is well known, but I believe he's an underrated driver, passer, and even defender. He can play with or without the ball, and I've always thought he'd be a terrific fit in the triangle.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#10 » by Sofa King » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:44 am

B-Scott is outside Mike Miller's house waiting to argue with him.
zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#11 » by zen_4_10 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:37 pm

Sofa King wrote:B-Scott is outside Mike Miller's house waiting to argue with him.
:rofl:
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,567

Post#12 » by hermes » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:04 pm

U-Borat wrote:He'd be a nice SF for the triangle; but realistically, it'd cost Odom, and thats not a price worth paying IMO.

me either
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#13 » by Tonyism74 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:42 pm

Big_Bad_LA wrote:Not to take anything away from Kobe, but it's more like a team effort. Fisher, Farmar, Bynum, LO, Ariza, Luke and the list goes on...

I thought this as well but I give most of the credit to Kobe. Every that I see his potentail as a team leader in the past, he has proven me wrong. THis year he has proven me right. He is the floor general, he is the one encouraging his players and being more mature. This leads to a better team environment and nourishes a healthy team atmosphere.

I am still waiting to see the Kobe of old each game (yelling, getting upset, cussing at his lpayers during games) and he hasnt yet. He has supported them tapped them for making bad plays etc., He is instilling this team with confidence and leadership..and that is giving them the push and motivation to win. THis is the first year I have seen Kobe seem genuine about being a good leader..and its showing. Too bad he hasnt done this before.
Yes, im posting all over again!
marik1234xx
Senior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by marik1234xx » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:11 pm

I just gained extra respect for Mike Miller now because of that. GJ MM
Knicks!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers