Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#2 » by Tommy Trojan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:46 pm

nice find, good article to read
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#3 » by That Nicka » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:51 pm

I would LOVE to have Byron Scott as our head coach after Phil retires... He did a great job with NJN and is doing a great job with NOH...
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#4 » by hermes » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:52 pm

good stuff
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#5 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:56 pm

I'll be curious to see how B-Shaw's career develops. I always thought he was head coach material when he was playing. Cerebral, low-key demeanor, unselfish.
J Rob
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#6 » by J Rob » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:02 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:I'll be curious to see how B-Shaw's career develops. I always thought he was head coach material when he was playing. Cerebral, low-key demeanor, unselfish.

I think both B-Shaw and Rambis both show the pedigree of an NBA Head Coach.

Problem is, if we keep winning like this they might be gone by the time PJ's contract runs out.

As far as the thread goes I'd love to have Byron take over for Phil but he seems pretty happy out there in NO.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#7 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm not so sure about Kurt. Maybe he's grown a lot, but I wasn't all that impressed with his trial run back in the 90s. He never seemed like he had a handle on the job, nor did it seem like the players took him seriously.

Plus, he gets major markdowns for his high school vice principal look with the brown suit, moustache and thinning hair.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#8 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:04 pm

J Rob wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Problem is, if we keep winning like this they might be gone by the time PJ's contract runs out.

As far as the thread goes I'd love to have Byron take over for Phil but he seems pretty happy out there in NO.

+1

I think both Shaw and Rambo would be good head coaches. Selfishly I want them both to stay with the Lakers ...and I would love to see Byron here one day.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:05 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:I'm not so sure about Kurt. Maybe he's grown a lot, but I wasn't all that impressed with his little trial run back in the 90s. Plus, he gets major markdowns for his high school vice principal look with the brown suit, moustache and thinning hair.

I can live with the suit and the thinning hair.... BUT the stache?
J Rob
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by J Rob » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:07 pm

Granted this is getting way ahead of ourselves, but since we're on the subject of future coaching candidates...

If the Lakers do well over this season and next and Kobe decides to sign an extension, do you think it'll be contingent on him having any say in the next coach?

I wonder outside Mike Krzyzewski and Byron Scott, if he would have any preference for the future?
J Rob
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by J Rob » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:10 pm

Phil_2.0 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I can live with the suit and the thinning hair.... BUT the stache?

The stache has got to go.

And to think I was just recently complimenting Rambis for doing such a good job of improving his physical appearance since the 80's...
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:10 pm

Oh man, those brown suits are garbage. I cringe every time I see them. He needs to raid Phil's or Riles' closet and get some decent threads. Remember, Kurt -- dress for the job you want, not the job you have.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#13 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:13 pm

The stache has got to go.

And to think I was just recently complimenting Rambis for doing such a good job of improving his physical appearance since the 80's...

While his sense of fashion needs major help, no doubt he's in great shape.

I watched him get a workout in before a Lakers-Spurs game back in 99 or 00 and I kid you not, he must have made 10 or 15 in a row from the top of the key. I remember thinking that it's probably been thirty-some years since he first picked up a ball and he finally learned how to shoot.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:13 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Oh man, those brown suits are garbage. I cringe every time I see them. He needs to raid Phil's or Riles' closet and get some decent threads. Remember, Kurt -- dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

He comes on 570 here every week and the guys asked him about his "suits" and he laughed.. He said" I am not a "suit guy" I am a jeans and T-Shirt and flip flop type. He jokingly said if he wears them because he has to and would dress differently if he could. He also mentioned that he shows up in casual gear and just before tip off he changes and then as soon as the game is over he changes.

Maybe he is secretly trying to protest his attire by dressing really bad. :lol:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#15 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:16 pm

J Rob wrote:Granted this is getting way ahead of ourselves, but since we're on the subject of future coaching candidates...

If the Lakers do well over this season and next and Kobe decides to sign an extension, do you think it'll be contingent on him having any say in the next coach?

I wonder outside Mike Krzyzewski and Byron Scott, if he would have any preference for the future?

I would imagine Kobe will probably flex his muscle when it comes to the next coach. Who he might want, I have no idea. But after his judgment regarding Andrew -- I also think K would have been a disaster as a pro coach -- I'm not so sure if the front office wouldn't be better served listening politely and ignoring him.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#16 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:21 pm

Phil_2.0 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He comes on 570 here every week and the guys asked him about his "suits" and he laughed.. He said" I am not a "suit guy" I am a jeans and T-Shirt and flip flop type. He jokingly said if he wears them because he has to and would dress differently if he could. He also mentioned that he shows up in casual gear and just before tip off he changes and then as soon as the game is over he changes.

Maybe he is secretly trying to protest his attire by dressing really bad. :lol:

They look like those crappy polyester suits you had as a kid, when you wore them twice a year. Except he's a middle-aged professional, and he wears them every night. I'll be he's got nothing but clip-on ties, too. :noway:
djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#17 » by djericho » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:37 pm

I believe Scott and Kobe had a good relationship when Kobe first came into the league right?

I don't see coach K going anywhere. He could have picked the NBA team he'd want to go to time and time again (including the Lakers)

That said, I see either Shaw or Scott as next coach. Promote Rambis up to the F.O. I see Rambis as GM sometime "maybe" down the line. He strikes me as the Randy Pfund kind....
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#18 » by Tommy Trojan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:46 pm

Agree

+1
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#19 » by TommyTheCat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:59 am

i'd like to see kurt or byron take over once phil marries jeanie, off's jimmy and takes over ownership
J Rob
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by J Rob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I would imagine Kobe will probably flex his muscle when it comes to the next coach. Who he might want, I have no idea. But after his judgment regarding Andrew -- I also think K would have been a disaster as a pro coach -- I'm not so sure if the front office wouldn't be better served listening politely and ignoring him.

Its a good point that I agree with, would you even want Kobe influencing such a decision?

If you look at it, its actually a funny point about how NBA players assess talent, trades, chemistry, etc.

I've heard so many claims from NBA players over the years that it makes you realize that they assess situations and personel moves as poorly as we do.

However, I have to disagree about Coach K tho, especially after hearing what the superstars said about him during the team USA games.

Coach K is a leader of men: it doesn't matter if they are young men or 30 year old adults.

He commands respect and I think he's one of the very few college coaches who could make the transition from college to the NBA.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers