ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil needs to make sure Kobe is copying "right era"

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

VIPER8382
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Phil needs to make sure Kobe is copying "right era" 

Post#1 » by VIPER8382 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:01 pm

What I mean by this is that Kobe needs to play more like Jordan did in the first 3 championships than at the end of his career. As Jordan's career went on he began to lose his physical tools (meaning instead of being twice as gifted, he only had an 80% advantage over his defender). As this happened Jordan relied more and more on his jumper. He could still blow by his man fairly often, but he did most of his damage from the perimeter. Also as Jordan aged gracefully his jumper kept getting better.

Kobe seems to be playing like a 35 year old Jordan. He is relying more on his jumper than he should. The way Kobe works on his game he should be able to develop his jumper to the point that Jordan got his towards the last 5 years of his career (this is probably 3-5 years away). The problems I see are that Kobe's jumper isn't quite there yet, but the physical gifts are more than there. It just seems to me he is playing too much like an upper 30's Jordan instead of a Jordan in his prime. Therefore playing to something he is good at, instead of something he is great at.

I just feel if Kobe would drive to the basket we could become unstoppable. Just look at the stats, even with a much better supporting cast Kobe's FG% is down (it should be up), his assists are down (also should definitely be up), and he is shooting 2 less ft's per game (jump shooters don't get fouled as much). Sorry about the length, but it was just on my mind. Also this was not meant to rip on Kobe, as I am now a big supporter of his, I just think Phil needs to get Kobe to drive more. His drives can end with a dunk/layup, a dish to a wide open man, or a turnover. His jumpers are probably 35-40% chance for a make the rest, hopefully we hit the boards.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#2 » by TonyMontana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:07 pm

Ya your right , I think he's getting old .

He needs to retire ASAP .

Maybe he needs to take it back a little more , like when Nique played for the Hawks , or lets take it back wayyyyyyyy back , when DrJ. played for the sixers ......

:noway:
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#3 » by Tommy Trojan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:38 pm

I agree, Kobe should drive more often to the hoop. WIth this if his jumpers are off he can get some points more closer to the basket or even feed it to Bynum. Hence, once he get's going he can step back out and knock the jumpers down
KobeFan
Junior
And1: 2

Post#4 » by KobeFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:45 pm

Kobe is either:

1. Reserving energy offensively to provide more defensive intensity
or
2. After 12 season's in the nba we are seeing a veteran slow down a little bit (which is my theory)

But there's been a noticeable lack of "slash and finish" in his game (and this dates back to the tail end of last season as well)

Luckily his "eliteness" goes well beyond just being a scorer
b shaw20
Bench Warmer
And1: 60

Re: Phil needs to make sure Kobe is copying "right era& 

Post#5 » by b shaw20 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:53 pm

VIPER8382 wrote:Kobe seems to be playing like a 35 year old Jordan. He is relying more on his jumper than he should. The way Kobe works on his game he should be able to develop his jumper to the point that Jordan got his towards the last 5 years of his career (this is probably 3-5 years away). The problems I see are that Kobe's jumper isn't quite there yet, but the physical gifts are more than there. It just seems to me he is playing too much like an upper 30's Jordan instead of a Jordan in his prime. Therefore playing to something he is good at, instead of something he is great at.

I just feel if Kobe would drive to the basket we could become unstoppable. Just look at the stats, even with a much better supporting cast Kobe's FG% is down (it should be up), his assists are down (also should definitely be up), and he is shooting 2 less ft's per game (jump shooters don't get fouled as much). .

Dude, I agree in principle to your post. But I am sure some people would argue if he drove to the hole more often, he'd wear down quicker and also increase the probability of him getting seriously injured.

My take is that he should make a more consious effort to drive to the basket when we really need a basket. The problem is, his preferred spot to get the ball is out in the perimiter where he has more room and a better view of the defenders that are coming his way. If he puts it on the floor and drives, it becomes increasingly more difficult to get to the hole with other defenders jumping at him which at times leads to offensive fouls and turnovers.

He should look to create for others when he goes to the hoop to resolve this issue but more importantly, if he is to avoid relying on his jumper as much as he does. Phil should look to put him in the post more often.

People seem to forget that Kobe has a "sick" game with his back to the basket. But this skill is rarely displayed. I recall his 3rd year in the league, he used to get the ball near the free throw line and back his man to the hole and do a mini jump hook that was "money". If anything, he could make a living at the free throw line if we ran the offense through him at times (when we have Kwame on the floor).
VIPER8382
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#6 » by VIPER8382 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:54 pm

I refuse to believe Kobe is any way slowing down already. The extra grind of 3 extra nba in place of 3 college seasons is a factor, and may cause Kobe to slow down maybe a year before Jordan. Kobe though has never really suffered any major injuries, so I don't think it is happening already. I just feel like he is watching too much film of those pretty Jordan jumpers, and not enough of his monster dunks. Other than when he was nursing the groin injury I have seen no signs of him lacking the ability to get in the lane.
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#7 » by TonyMontana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:06 pm

I disagree .

Towards the end , well actually it the middle of MJs career I think after he came back from his retirement .
We saw a different MJ , he basically mastered another weapon in his arssinal .
His jump shot , and Im seeing the same thing happening to KOBE .

Think about it KOBE has a shot , I mean at time his shot selection might be poor ( BScott ) but he has the ability to shoot from any position at any givin time .

Yes at times he may take a shot which he is being guarded by 2 or 3 opponents but , KOBE CAN Shot , specially when he gets hot .

Now as a player with KOBE caliber , he has a lot of advantage over other players in this league , Just like MJ , so yes he has the ability to be a slasher or take it to the Hoop , but you have to realize he isnt the same 18 or 20 year old KOBE he use to be.
It takes a lot out of you when you go inside day in and day out , you tend to get injured , your body takes a beating , and lets face it , KOBE isnt a one dimenstional player either . ( Example Ariza ) .
As players , I mean domintating players in our era grow , well they tend to pick up their game on their shooting skills and perfecting it , since physically their bodies arent capable of doing what they use to do when they were young ..........

Example Shaq , as we saw Shaq was one of the most dominating forces in the paint but towards the end of his career when we won the 3 peat , what helped Shaq was his Shooting , the turn arounds , he's 5 and ten footers away from the basket since he was always being hacked and double and triple teamed .

I think some peps might take this as a player declining or getting older but I actually see it as a player becoming more versitale , growing , maturing as a all around player than just a slasher or a dunker .
b shaw20
Bench Warmer

Kobe 

Post#8 » by b shaw20 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:07 pm

I never stated that he is wearing down, but implied that he may choose to play this way so he can play a few years longer. Its evident that when he goes to the hole, more often than not he lays it up as opposed to throwing down over someone (like he used to). Why he chooses to do this is beyond me? All we can do is speculate....

Just last night, he had CP3 between him and the basket and he pulled up for a jumpshot (which he missed). I was begging for him to jump over the little dude and make a poster out of him.

It may simply be that it is the easiest way for him to score. Why dribble, spin, dash, cross over, jump and finish when you can simply elevate and shoot over anyone? Who knows...
TonyMontana
RealGM

Re: Kobe 

Post#9 » by TonyMontana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:17 pm

b shaw20 wrote:I never stated that he is wearing down, but implied that he may choose to play this way so he can play a few years longer. Its evident that when he goes to the hole, more often than not he lays it up as opposed to throwing down over someone (like he used to). Why he chooses to do this is beyond me? All we can do is speculate....

Just last night, he had CP3 between him and the basket and he pulled up for a jumpshot (which he missed). I was begging for him to jump over the little dude and make a poster out of him.

It may simply be that it is the easiest way for him to score. Why dribble, spin, dash, cross over, jump and finish when you can simply elevate and shoot over anyone? Who knows...

Na you cant say that ...... KOBE still dunk it on anybody anytime ...

DOnt let me pull up some YOUTUBES ON YOU .......LOLLLL J/K

But ya I did see that play , I mean I think as an observer its easy for us to say he should have dunked it on him , but as a player he's reaction was to shoot .

I dont think its cause he is scared or he cant , physically , or his not capable of doing it .
I think its just he chooses when to shot and when to Dunk for that right situation .......
Again he feels and it seems that he isnt a one dimestional player anymore .
KobeFan
Junior

Post#10 » by KobeFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:29 pm

You can't credit Kobe with doing what Jordan did before he does it though. Jordan's fg% was close to 50% in those late seasons.

Right now Kobe has been scrappy defensively and has set up his teammates all year. However he's not as explosive offensively (i don't just mean big point totals) I mean handing/speed/vertical/creating separation/drawing defenders/burning double-teams/drawing free throw attempts..etc

This doesn't have to be so Black / White either. Just because he's not as good as he was 2 years ago doesn't mean he's still not an elite player whose the MVP of his team.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#11 » by Dexmor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:29 am

This post is excellent in every way. I was hoping somebody was going to accuse me of being viper because it would have been a compliment.
It's not just his offense it's his attutide refusing to believe in rivals because he's "to old for that". He acts like he is one of the oldest players in the league but the fact of the matter is he is the same age as some of the guys drafted in the year 2000.
I don't think Phil needs to talk to him now but he should right before they play the Celtics and when they get to the playoffs although I think Kobe will wake up by then.
I say the Celtics because I think that is the only team that is better then us hands down right now. Some other teams are arguably better and have better records but no other team actually scares me.
I believe we can go to the finals with this team but we can't win (unless the Pistons beat the C's) without Kobe attacking.

Oh and by the way I don't believe he is declining yet. I will have that talk in 2012 but I have a feeling he will be a 48% 3 point shooter and still be getting 30 anytime he wants up until he is about 40 years old.
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#12 » by TonyMontana » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:35 am

star24 wrote:This post is excellent in every way. I was hoping somebody was going to accuse me of being viper because it would have been a compliment.
It's not just his offense it's his attutide refusing to believe in rivals because he's "to old for that". He acts like he is one of the oldest players in the league but the fact of the matter is he is the same age as some of the guys drafted in the year 2000.
I don't think Phil needs to talk to him now but he should right before they play the Celtics and when they get to the playoffs although I think Kobe will wake up by then.
I say the Celtics because I think that is the only team that is better then us hands down right now. Some other teams are arguably better and have better records but no other team actually scares me.
I believe we can go to the finals with this team but we can't win (unless the Pistons beat the C's) without Kobe attacking.

Oh and by the way I don't believe he is declining yet. I will have that talk in 2012 but I have a feeling he will be a 48% 3 point shooter and still be getting 30 anytime he wants up until he is about 40 years old.

Im speechless ..........
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#13 » by Dexmor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:06 am

Don't be speechless just don't skim threw it. Kobe is not on the decline and constantly says he's to old for things when the truth is he's not.
I saw a game vs the Suns this year when he was guarding Hill and the mics were on the players were miced and he said he is "to old to be running around like this"
I am saying he is not and needs to think he is 22. I am not saying he is on the decline or has a bad attitude just that he is not as old as he thinks.

Tony I never see you state an opinion on things, all you do is critize other people.
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#14 » by El Hardee » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:25 am

star24 wrote:Don't be speechless just don't skim threw it. Kobe is not on the decline and constantly says he's to old for things when the truth is he's not.
I saw a game vs the Suns this year when he was guarding Hill and the mics were on the players were miced and he said he is "to old to be running around like this"
I am saying he is not and needs to think he is 22. I am not saying he is on the decline or has a bad attitude just that he is not as old as he thinks.

Tony I never see you state an opinion on things, all you do is critize other people.
I think Kobe knows his own body better than you know his body. If you read what you wrote sometimes you would see why other posters like TM jump all over. :crazy:
EHL
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by EHL » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:37 am

Kobe has never been able to drive like Jordan or score at near the same efficiency. So that's a moot point. In the end, it has mainly been that his jumper has just been off, he won't end the season at 44.1% unless he gets injured. This has just been an unusually inconsistent year for him scoring-wise, even though he's still #1 or #2 in the league in scoring efficiency/ppg per 40. PER is still above his career prime average by a little.
EHL
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by EHL » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:38 am

^ In fact, all it'll take is another 15-20 games of 50% shooting (on 20 attempts) during the remaining 48 games for him to shoot at the same FGP he shot at last season, assuming the other games he shoots at his career average of 45%. You know Kobe is perfectly capable of having a hot month or two. Expect it to come in February.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#17 » by Slava » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:50 am

Phil is trying to do his best to keep the starters fresh for the playoffs.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
J Rob
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#18 » by J Rob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:13 am

Fact of the matter is, I don't think Kobe can get to the basket quite as easily as used to.

So I don't know if its a matter of him choosing to play like young Jordan or old Jordan.

I think injuries, and Kobe's effort to protect himself from injuries are keeping on the perimeter more this season.

Come playoff time, I think he'll try to attack more but for the most I think this is the style Kobe will play from now on.

I just hope he starts to look for better shot attempts.

If you want him to get easier baskets, then you have to move him to the three.

He can break his man down easier and create for his teammates. Not to mention he can get the ball in better areas to score from.
b shaw20
Bench Warmer

Spot On 

Post#19 » by b shaw20 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:37 am

J Rob wrote:Fact of the matter is, I don't think Kobe can get to the basket quite as easily as used to.

I think injuries, and Kobe's effort to protect himself from injuries are keeping on the perimeter more this season.

Come playoff time, I think he'll try to attack more but for the most I think this is the style Kobe will play from now on.

I just hope he starts to look for better shot attempts.

If you want him to get easier baskets, then you have to move him to the three.

He can break his man down easier and create for his teammates. Not to mention he can get the ball in better areas to score from.

Yep, I agree. Kobe's position on the floor is what makes it difficult to get to the basket. He's usually the person farthest from the basket and has the entire defense in front of him. I think this is by design as he likes to survey where the defense is befor he moves to an open spot on the floor where he can elevate and shoot.

Kobe during the Shaq years, used to roam alot more than now because the offense went through Shaq. Now eventhough we run through Drew, the flow tends to stop when it ball reaches KB hands (less this year than recent years).

The sad part is that Kobe is the greatest 1 on 1 player on the planet and when he's on the attack, he doesn't catch and shoot but catch, survey and then make his move. I have no doubt that he has the ability to catch and shoot and roam and get very easy looks, but not from the position he is on the floor now.

But that is probably where he prefers to have the ball and whatever he wants he'll get.
ljp24
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Re: Kobe 

Post#20 » by ljp24 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:34 am

TonyMontana wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

DOnt let me pull up some YOUTUBES ON YOU .......LOLLLL J/K

The last time Kobe dunked on anybody was 2 years ago

Return to Los Angeles Lakers