ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Howard And Bynum Bringing Back The Center Position

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

OT: Howard And Bynum Bringing Back The Center Position 

Post#1 » by Dexmor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Shaq would always say he is the left real center left but he is wrong.
The Center position is possibly the strongest it's ever been.

Here is my Center rankings and if I am wrong please share your thoughts

Top 8 are guys who are superstars or will be and you basically don't trade them for anybody unless your getting Lebron or Paul back for them.

1.Howard- Is this really a question or competition for this spot?

2.Ming- 7'6 and shoots free throws like Steve Nash. Excellent scorer, good rebounder and shotblocker. Possibly a top 10-15 player in the league.

3.Amare- I was tempted to put him lower and honestly there are alot of guys I take over him but the winning and the stats puts him here.

4.Bynum- Yes he only averages 13 and 11 but we know that after the allstar break he will be a 17 and 12 with 3 guy and next year probably a 20 and 12 guy with shotblocking. Possibly more offensively gifted naturally then Howard. If he was the first option like DHoward he would be getting 20 a game this year at least. Not only does he have the offensive potential to be the best scoring center in the league he also has the rebounding and shotblocking potential to even lead in those stats. He is also star24's second favorite player and that is his greatest achivement. They passed on Jason Kidd for him and I think you can make a point that even if they were judged on this year only it was still a smart move.

5.Kaman- Never would have thunk it. He has become more valuable then Elton Brand. 17 and 14 with 3 shot blocks. This kid can really play.

6.Jefferson- He has got a really bright future. When the twolves get a better pg possibly Rose this kid will really shine.

7. Aldridge- If he rebounder a little better he would probably go up to possibly top 3. He is only in his second year and the second best player on his team. He should have went first in the draft.

8.Oden- I don't care if he hasn't played yet, this kid is amazing. The first day he plays next year he will automatically be in the top 3. His defense will make him a hall of famer and only he could be a top 10 without playing. These top 8 imo are just untradable unless your getting Lebron James or Chris Paul in return.

9-13 Are Centers that are stars that could be a winning teams second best player or a great third.

9.Camby- This guy did underachive his whole career but he is the best defender in the entire nba and seems to be peaking at a late age.

10.Sheed- His stats don't tell the whole story. His defense is wildly underrated and he could be a 25 point a game scorer if he was more selfish.

11.Chandler- Basically a young Camby imo. Doesn't have the jumper Camby does but it took him a while to develop that also.

12.Okufor-Solid C, not an allstar but close. Every team would love to have him and is probably popular with his coaches due to his amazing work ethic. He is not a max player but will probably get max money.

13.Bogut-When will teams learn to pick guards before bigs in the draft? Either way Bogut is a very solid center. I still think he has potential to be a 20 point a game scorer. Even now he is a guy who can step out and hit the 15-18 footer but you can also throw it into him. Above average rebounder and shotblocker. If you have him your set at Center.

14-22 Are players best served as the third best player and ideally 4th but still quite good and some have allstar potential

14.Bierdnes-Still kind of raw but he gets you a ton of points a ton of shotblocking and athletism. He will probably top out at 15 points a game but he is very solid. Almost the white Marcus Camby.

15.Shaq-How did anybody think Mitch was stupid for picking Kobe over him or even trading him? I saw somebody posted Mitch's moves and the Shaq trade was listed as the worst. I think it was the second best. I hate this man very much so he is the only one on the list that I am dissing instead of saying his positives only. He could be alot lower because of health but if you only judge on games he is in he still comands a double team and gets you 15 and 8 with almost 2 blocks. Not nearly worth 20 million, haha Heat fans and remember Shaq said Wade was better then Kobe? Not even Mrs. Wade can think that now.

16. Miller- Team player, great passing, good rebounding and decent scoring. Not an allstar anymore though because even on a team where Beno can score 15 a game he only scores 15 a game. He would still make a nice pf for the Lakers though with his passing. Hmmmm. Odom and Kwame for Miller and Artest? O.K. back to the topic

17.Curry-The fact that Zack is messing up his game shows how limited he is and how low his bball iq is. He can't adjust but he is a very good scorer and is still young and has potential. Averaged basically 20 points last year and I think his rebounding is getting better. He is a potential allstar and the fact that he is 17th on the list proves my point that centers not being good anymore is a myth.

18.Dalembert-A poor mans Marcus Camby. Very great defensive rebounding and shotblocking. Kind of a Deke type scorer to were he can put up scoring numbers but you don't really want him to. Starting to make that contract not look so bad. If Darko can get 7-8 maybe he deserves 10.

19.Bargnani-He is going threw a sophmore slump but I happen to believe he will come out of it and reach that allstar potential.

20.Sean Williams- I know what your thinking I am being bias but the man can fly. I am not kidding I watch Nets games and this guy can literally fly. He blocked a shot 2 weeks ago and I swear his hand was above the backboard. When he gets 35 mins per game he will easily average 4 blocks per game along with a double double.

21.Nenad Kristic-He is hurt and like Oden if healthy would be higher up on the list. Kind of a modern Vlade Divac.

22.Z- He can score 13 points a game plus he gets 10 rebounds which he is underrated for and he is an above average shotblocker. They say Lebron is alone on the Cavs but Z is the second best player and though ideally a third best on a team he is still pretty damm underrated.

The rest are above average centers where if you have them center is not your weakspot.

23.Horford-I never would have thought he would have been overrated. That was a schocker. I was expecting Elton Brand but what he really is is a not as good but close to an Okufor. He could turn out to be an amazing rebounder or make me look like an idiot and become the next Boozer but so far he is not looking like a top 3 draft pick.

24.Chris Wilcox-I would say he has another 2 years to become an allstar before we can take the potential tag off of him. (I personally don't think it will happen) but he is still a damm fine basketball player. Good scorer and rebounder and quite athletic with great size but I don't understand why he doesn't block more shots.

25.Okur- This guy is sooooooooooo overrated but he still deserves to be on the list. He can't rebound, his shooting numbers are down but he does stretch the floor and he does have the size and his shooting for a man his size is still quite impressive. He is having an off year but you don't need to upgrade if you have him.

26.Troy Murphy- O.K. maybe I am Irish bias but I think this kid is good. He can rebound, stetch the floor and has a pretty good all around game. Can guard Centers and PF's and he is a good double double guy. Not averaging one this year but I think he will be again some day.

27.Ben-Biggest fall off including Shaq. I still say he is worth putting on a list of quality players because his D is still pretty amazing even if he is not getting 4 blocks and 30 rebounds a game. He does only play one side off the floor but you know he is going to be a workhourse out there and he will play 82 games a year.

28.Haywood-Can't believe it took him this long but he is a player, one of the most improved, close to a double double guy with very good shotblocking and he has excellent size. If the Suns had this guy they would be alot more dangerous.
Dexmor
Head Coach

Post#2 » by Dexmor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:15 pm

By my count that makes 28 solid centers in this league. Maybe only half of them are stars but there are still alot of allstar centers in this modern world.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#3 » by Gus McCrae » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:27 pm

That's hilarious that you refer to yourself in the 3rd person during your bynum writeup. that should be your calling card
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#4 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:01 pm

if Shaq claimed he was the left center who was the right center or the center center?
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#5 » by Tommy Trojan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:05 pm

DId Duncan not make the list? It says he is a Center on their website

Team Roster
NO. NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE 2008 SALARY
17 Brent Barry SG 36 6-7 210 Oregon State $5,544,370
15 Matt Bonner PF 27 6-10 240 Florida $2,700,000
12 Bruce Bowen SF 36 6-7 200 Cal State Fullerton $4,125,000
21 Tim Duncan C 31 6-11 260 Wake Forest $19,014,188
16 Francisco Elson C 31 7-0 235 California $3,000,000
4 Michael Finley SF 34 6-7 225 Wisconsin $3,103,000
20 Manu Ginobili SG 30 6-6 205 $9,079,811
25 Robert Horry PF 37 6-10 240 Alabama $3,630,000
28 Ian Mahinmi C 21 6-10 230 $625,840
7 Fabricio Oberto PF 32 6-10 245 $3,500,000
9 Tony Parker PG 25 6-2 180 $10,500,000
3 Jeremy Richardson F 24 6-6 185 Delta State $481,219
5 Ime Udoka SF 30 6-6 215 Portland State $1,000,000
11 Jacque Vaughn PG 32 6-1 190 Kansas $1,219,590
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#6 » by Tommy Trojan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:06 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:if Shaq claimed he was the left center who was the right center or the center center?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

man....

Shaq was the left center from the right side of the court
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#7 » by Slava » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Samuel dalembert, a poor man's camby! He actually makes more than Camby does.

There are actually 10 PFs in that list and that without including Tim Duncan, who does play C most of the time.

Okur in the 3rd tier below Miller, Bargs, Krstic and Sean Williams is amazing! :D
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#8 » by SpaceJam » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:54 pm

Andrew Bynum will be 4th next year, im feeling Kaman as 4th for now. Camby is also above Al who is a Pf. Dalembert is better than Eddy Curry, and I feel Al Horford and Sean Williams(is he a C?) should be a bit higher. Overall good list.
_________
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#9 » by El Hardee » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:22 am

Bringing center back, bringing sexy back? I think we got a hit on our hands.
B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#10 » by B-Scott » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:44 am

Bynum, Kaman and Yao are the only true back to the basket centers among the group listed. Dwight and Amare rely a lot on there athletic ability to get majority of there points. Both need to work on there low post games.

Bynum needs the work also,but you can see his back to the basket potential
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#11 » by Squirrel Boy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:19 am

Stop man. Just stop.

You're just making yourself look more like a fool.
garcia3
Starter
And1: 9

Post#12 » by garcia3 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:09 am

^^^^looooooooooooooool
garcia3
Starter
And1: 9

Re: OT: Howard And Bynum Bringing Back The Center Position 

Post#13 » by garcia3 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:44 am

star24 wrote:Shaq would always say he is the left real center left but he is wrong.

4.Bynum- Yes he only averages 13 and 11 but we know that after the allstar break he will be a 17 and 12 with 3 guy and next year probably a 20 and 12 guy with shotblocking. Possibly more offensively gifted naturally then Howard. If he was the first option like DHoward he would be getting 20 a game this year at least. Not only does he have the offensive potential to be the best scoring center in the league he also has the rebounding and shotblocking potential to even lead in those stats. He is also star24's second favorite player and that is his greatest achivement. They passed on Jason Kidd for him and I think you can make a point that even if they were judged on this year only it was still a smart move.

5.Kaman- Never would have thunk it. He has become more valuable then Elton Brand. 17 and 14 with 3 shot blocks. This kid can really play.

8.Oden- I don't care if he hasn't played yet, this kid is amazing. The first day he plays next year he will automatically be in the top 3. His defense will make him a hall of famer and only he could be a top 10 without playing.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooool :rofl:

13.Bogut-When will teams learn to pick guards before bigs in the draft?
Either way Bogut is a very solid center. I still think he has potential to be a 20 point a game scorer. Even now he is a guy who can step out and hit the 15-18 footer but you can also throw it into him. Above average rebounder and shotblocker. If you have him your set at Center.

15.Shaq-How did anybody think Mitch was stupid for picking Kobe over him or even trading him? I saw somebody posted Mitch's moves and the Shaq trade was listed as the worst. I think it was the second best. I hate this man very much so he is the only one on the list that I am dissing instead of saying his positives only. He could be alot lower because of health but if you only judge on games he is in he still comands a double team and gets you 15 and 8 with almost 2 blocks. Not nearly worth 20 million, haha Heat fans and remember Shaq said Wade was better then Kobe? Not even Mrs. Wade can think that now.

16. Miller- Team player, great passing, good rebounding and decent scoring. Not an allstar anymore though because even on a team where Beno can score 15 a game he only scores 15 a game. He would still make a nice pf for the Lakers though with his passing. Hmmmm. Odom and Kwame for Miller and Artest? O.K. back to the topic

20.Sean Williams- I know what your thinking I am being bias but the man can fly. I am not kidding I watch Nets games and this guy can literally fly. He blocked a shot 2 weeks ago and I swear his hand was above the backboard. When he gets 35 mins per game he will easily average 4 blocks per game along with a double double.

23.Horford-I never would have thought he would have been overrated. That was a schocker. I was expecting Elton Brand but what he really is is a not as good but close to an Okufor. He could turn out to be an amazing rebounder or make me look like an idiot and become the next Boozer but so far he is not looking like a top 3 draft pick.

Hahahahahahahaha, man Star, I admire you for real:bowdown: . I was looking for something good to kill time for the Lakers vs Bucks game and man, the best thing I did was going to your post. Please don't stop speaking your mind and making threads.

You shouldn't be allowed to make a thread on the General Board though.
Dexmor
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Dexmor » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:00 pm

I didn't put Duncan in even though I think he is a center playing pf just to be known as the best pf ever. I wanted to but I didn't. Okur is soft and can't pretect the basket whcih is why I put him so low. Scoring 3 pointers is great but you need size there.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#15 » by TonyMontana » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:11 pm

WOWWWWWW ..

I em speaklezz agin ......... :noway:
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#16 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:53 pm

Thanks to Garcia3 for posting out those quotes in bold. Hilarious, i just cant read star's entire posts sometimes. Just too long. Thanks star24 for a good laugh.
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#17 » by El Hardee » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:07 am

The drafting gaurds before bigs statement was quite interesting. :rofl:
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Re: OT: Howard And Bynum Bringing Back The Center Position 

Post#18 » by RJM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:11 am

star24 wrote:Shaq would always say he is the left real center left but he is wrong.

Here is my Center rankings and if I am wrong please share your thoughts

Top 8 are guys who are superstars or will be and you basically don't trade them for anybody unless your getting Lebron or Paul back for them.

1.Howard- Is this really a question or competition for this spot?

2.Ming- 7'6 and shoots free throws like Steve Nash. Excellent scorer, good rebounder and shotblocker. Possibly a top 10-15 player in the league.

3.Amare- I was tempted to put him lower and honestly there are alot of guys I take over him but the winning and the stats puts him here.

6.Jefferson- He has got a really bright future. When the twolves get a better pg possibly Rose this kid will really shine.

7. Aldridge- If he rebounder a little better he would probably go up to possibly top 3. He is only in his second year and the second best player on his team. He should have went first in the draft.

8.Oden- I don't care if he hasn't played yet, this kid is amazing. The first day he plays next year he will automatically be in the top 3. His defense will make him a hall of famer and only he could be a top 10 without playing. These top 8 imo are just untradable unless your getting Lebron James or Chris Paul in return.

9-13 Are Centers that are stars that could be a winning teams second best player or a great third.

9.Camby- This guy did underachive his whole career but he is the best defender in the entire nba and seems to be peaking at a late age.

10.Sheed- His stats don't tell the whole story. His defense is wildly underrated and he could be a 25 point a game scorer if he was more selfish.

11.Chandler- Basically a young Camby imo. Doesn't have the jumper Camby does but it took him a while to develop that also.

12.Okufor-Solid C, not an allstar but close. Every team would love to have him and is probably popular with his coaches due to his amazing work ethic. He is not a max player but will probably get max money.

13.Bogut-When will teams learn to pick guards before bigs in the draft? Either way Bogut is a very solid center. I still think he has potential to be a 20 point a game scorer. Even now he is a guy who can step out and hit the 15-18 footer but you can also throw it into him. Above average rebounder and shotblocker. If you have him your set at Center.

14-22 Are players best served as the third best player and ideally 4th but still quite good and some have allstar potential

14.Bierdnes-Still kind of raw but he gets you a ton of points a ton of shotblocking and athletism. He will probably top out at 15 points a game but he is very solid. Almost the white Marcus Camby.

17.Curry-The fact that Zack is messing up his game shows how limited he is and how low his bball iq is. He can't adjust but he is a very good scorer and is still young and has potential. Averaged basically 20 points last year and I think his rebounding is getting better. He is a potential allstar and the fact that he is 17th on the list proves my point that centers not being good anymore is a myth.

18.Dalembert-A poor mans Marcus Camby. Very great defensive rebounding and shotblocking. Kind of a Deke type scorer to were he can put up scoring numbers but you don't really want him to. Starting to make that contract not look so bad. If Darko can get 7-8 maybe he deserves 10.

19.Bargnani-He is going threw a sophmore slump but I happen to believe he will come out of it and reach that allstar potential.

21.Nenad Kristic-He is hurt and like Oden if healthy would be higher up on the list. Kind of a modern Vlade Divac.

22.Z- He can score 13 points a game plus he gets 10 rebounds which he is underrated for and he is an above average shotblocker. They say Lebron is alone on the Cavs but Z is the second best player and though ideally a third best on a team he is still pretty damm underrated.

The rest are above average centers where if you have them center is not your weakspot.

24.Chris Wilcox-I would say he has another 2 years to become an allstar before we can take the potential tag off of him. (I personally don't think it will happen) but he is still a damm fine basketball player. Good scorer and rebounder and quite athletic with great size but I don't understand why he doesn't block more shots.

25.Okur- This guy is sooooooooooo overrated but he still deserves to be on the list. He can't rebound, his shooting numbers are down but he does stretch the floor and he does have the size and his shooting for a man his size is still quite impressive. He is having an off year but you don't need to upgrade if you have him.

26.Troy Murphy- O.K. maybe I am Irish bias but I think this kid is good. He can rebound, stetch the floor and has a pretty good all around game. Can guard Centers and PF's and he is a good double double guy. Not averaging one this year but I think he will be again some day.

27.Ben-Biggest fall off including Shaq. I still say he is worth putting on a list of quality players because his D is still pretty amazing even if he is not getting 4 blocks and 30 rebounds a game. He does only play one side off the floor but you know he is going to be a workhourse out there and he will play 82 games a year.

28.Haywood-Can't believe it took him this long but he is a player, one of the most improved, close to a double double guy with very good shotblocking and he has excellent size. If the Suns had this guy they would be alot more dangerous.

1. I can't believe you put Oden above all these guys, especially Camby. How the hell do you rate a player who hasn't played a single game yet above proven NBA veterans? That's too much hype IMO...

2. The bolded above are glorified Power Forwards and NOT Centers.
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#19 » by TommyTheCat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:57 am

star24 wrote:I didn't put Duncan in even though I think he is a center playing pf just to be known as the best pf ever. I wanted to but I didn't. Okur is soft and can't pretect the basket whcih is why I put him so low. Scoring 3 pointers is great but you need size there.

haha, do you remember who he played with his first 6 seasons in the nba. that was the reason he moved to pf and since then he's basically played both positions based on matchups.
Dexmor
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Dexmor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:28 am

j-far wrote:Samuel dalembert, a poor man's camby! He actually makes more than Camby does.

There are actually 10 PFs in that list and that without including Tim Duncan, who does play C most of the time.

Okur in the 3rd tier below Miller, Bargs, Krstic and Sean Williams is amazing! :D

You serious? Poor mans mean worse version or weaker version. It doesn't really go on how much they make. It's just an expression.
Duncan is a center but he always plays PF which is why instead of having a skillfull PF they have Oberto the Center.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers