ImageImageImageImageImage

DJ Mbenga almost a done deal.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

DJ Mbenga almost a done deal. 

Post#1 » by El Hardee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Sorry no link, but according to am 570 he is currently taking his physical and it looks like a done deal.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#2 » by RJM » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:15 pm

Damn, I want to take a look at Webber as well. However Phil's words are etched in stone about how Webber's defensive deficiencies might hurt us. I guess that's the kicker.
kobynum show
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#3 » by kobynum show » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:17 pm

terrible move. dude got cut by a team in our division two weeks ago. he has worse numbers than kwame. webber must really not want to come here.
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by El Hardee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:19 pm

Here is a DJ breakdown from Mav fans:

Mbenga fouls too much, can't stay on floor. He's a foul machine.
- One of those physically gifted players who doesn't get it...but if he does one day...
- Some say he's offensively even worse than Kwame
- Plays very hard and fans love him
- Can block shots
- Hands so so
- No knowledge of the game whatsoever, therefore no IQ so to speak.

HE DIDNT EVEN TOUCH A BASKETBALL TILL THE AGE OF 19.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#5 » by Erik Eleven » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Phil's words about Webber's defense are true.

If we're not going to trade for a good player, I'm all for Mbenga or Chris Andersen. At least they can bruise people up a bit, make it hurt to cut to our hoop.
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by El Hardee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Introducing DJ Mbenga, he might be able to give Cassell a run for his money. This fool is ugly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1rZBxn3 ... re=related
ock
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#7 » by ock » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:44 pm

El Hardee wrote:Introducing DJ Mbenga, he might be able to give Cassell a run for his money. This fool is ugly!

let's not get crazy. no one will ever supplant Cassell. EVER.

"I have no problem following somebody who's worth being followed. I will follow Kobe anywhere." - Ron Artest
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by El Hardee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:51 pm

ock wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

let's not get crazy. no one will ever supplant Cassell. EVER.
Cassell is U.O.A.T., but have you seen Al Jefferson?
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#9 » by Dexmor » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:07 pm

I really wanted Webber but if we are not getting him I have absolutely no faithi in the Lakers without Bynum and I really think Webber is a player who could have made the difference of winning a championship and keeping us afloat with in the next 2 months probably around the 6th seed with CWebb until Bynum comes back and put us over the hump playoff wise but the positive and don't hate me for saying this or call me not a true fan but part of me wants them in the lotto for a chance at Love. My last name is Love and I even look like him but that has nothing to do with it. Plus if we get into the lotto we have a small chance at Mayo and even if we end up with the 13th or 14th pick which is most probable if they don't make the playoffs it's possible if lets say the Clippers or a team with a pg gets the 3rd or 4th pick it's possible we could trade for him and I don't think Stubborn ass Phil would sit him because he is older then most rookies.

If Phil Jackson wakes up when it comes to player rotations (he is a great coach in all aspects exception for player rotations) and plays Farmar as a starter we will still get homecourt in the playoffs with the 4th seed.
Farmar is about as good as Mike Bibby when Bibby was young and good ad healthy but Phil doesn't play him. If he does the Lakers still have a hell of a 1-2-3 punch with Kobe-Farmar-Odom.
I know I posted this all day yesterday but I am still gonna post it again, imagine of they get Kevin Love

My projected stats and my dream lineup without RJ because that is to good to happen to us.

Andrew Bynum 20 points 12 rebounds 3 blocks
Kevin Love 14 points 7 rebounds 6 assits
Lamar Odom 14 points 10 rebounds 4 assits
Kobe Bryant 25 points 5 rebounds 5 assits
Jordan Farmar 16 points 7 assits
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#10 » by Tommy Trojan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Does this guy know how to catch a basketball?
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#11 » by Lost Angel » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:09 pm

DJ Mbenga? thats what we chose to do? are you serious?

we just lost our center for two MONTHS. why aren't we actively trying to address this problem
Kirk Moon
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Kirk Moon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:16 pm

mbenga is a strong fella who will give 6 healthy, hard fouls in his 10-15 minutes on the floor.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#13 » by Kilroy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:31 pm

I don't know the situation but I'm betting Webber still thinks he's worth way more than reality dictates... That's just the feeling I got from his agent's comments and from seeing a trend in his contracts...

I don't know what the DJ signing will do for us but I wouldn't waste one penny of our future on Chris Webber. That dude plays basketball like the Ghost of Christmas Past...
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#14 » by crazyeights » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:49 pm

As long as DJ plays hustles like crazy and plays hard D, then I won't be too disappointed. We needed an extra big, to at least insure against too much foul trouble; during the Phoenix and Seattle games it became very apparent that fouls would be a problem.

If he plays D and actually jumps for blocked shots, then fine by me. Even if he sucks offensively, we've had Kwame for years, at least we don't expect DJ to play like a former #1 pick bust...

And our team has looked lifeless at times, we could use another spark plug.
anti_flag2008
Freshman

Post#15 » by anti_flag2008 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:43 pm

why not jelani mccoy?
exkonvict
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#16 » by exkonvict » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:02 pm

El Hardee wrote:Here is a DJ breakdown from Mav fans:

Mbenga fouls too much, can't stay on floor. He's a foul machine.
- One of those physically gifted players who doesn't get it...but if he does one day...
- Some say he's offensively even worse than Kwame
- Plays very hard and fans love him
- Can block shots
- Hands so so
- No knowledge of the game whatsoever, therefore no IQ so to speak.

HE DIDNT EVEN TOUCH A BASKETBALL TILL THE AGE OF 19.

that's all i'm looking for at the moment.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#17 » by Dexmor » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:07 pm

anti_flag2008 wrote:why not jelani mccoy?

That is a damm good question, Mccoy is very big and he even has a post go to move. He can block shots and can rebound and is playing for our farm team so getting him is not a problem.

I don't know what the hell Webber's problem is. First off all he is in negotations finacally which is crazy to me because the man has signed at least 2 max deals so he is wealthy already and he hasn't played all year so the money shouldn't be anything to him and he says he is not sure the Lakers are for real. When Bynum comes back with Webber there the Lakers are not only for real and imo would win the championship (yes I do think Bynum means the difference from lotto to rings) Webber would get to play for the Lakers were all the stars are, he would get playing time and not be the 4th big man like Detroit is saying and he would be wanted were the Pistons don't seem to care about him and the Lakers imo when all healthy are just flat out better then the Pistons. Plus with Jason Maxiel breaking out and playing like a close to borderline allstar off the bench for them Webber ain't gonna be playing real time. With the Lakers he has a chance to start playing with the best player in the league with the best market in the league with the best coach in the league (according to alot of people not named Kalel24 or Ryan) which could be the best team in the West.

I never heard of DJ Megla or whatever his name is and if he were good as a center why is he not in the league and is Gasol even an option? Surprised they are not trying to make a deal to get a Center. Now would be the perfect time for a trade maybe

Jason Collins
Jamal Magloire
RJ

For

Kwame
Odom
Sasha
Critt
Luke
anti_flag2008
Freshman

Post#18 » by anti_flag2008 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:20 pm

Also i believe Mccoy already is familiar in the triangle offense because he played here before and he is part of the Dfenders so why not call him up?
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#19 » by Squirrel Boy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:28 pm

slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#20 » by slifersd » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:41 pm

This is an awful move. Webber might have problems on defense, but he brings something different to the table, a scorer/creater up front. With Bynum out, teams are now free to triple team Kobe again because Odom and Brown are both useless on offense. We need another guy who can make shots and pass the ball so we can run our offense through him. I hope signing Mbenga means we are trading Kwame Brown because otherwise, our frontline is going to be atrocious to look at for the next two months.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers