Blood * Sugar * Sex * Kwame

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Blood * Sugar * Sex * Kwame 

Post#1 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:49 pm

As most of us know Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is a huge Laker fan and writes a blog for NBA.com

He made a post about Kwame that I happen to support.

know that kwame brown is not the best big man the lakers have ever had

but putting him down rudely, is not only stupid and cruel, but it tears at the team's fabric and IT MAKES IT LESS LIKELY THAT WE WILL GET WHAT WE WANT WHICH IS WINS!!!!!

anyone who is a real laker fan and actually follows the team and is not a bandwagon jumping johnny-come-lately

knows that kwame is a sensitive man who can get down on himself when he makes a mistake and potentially spiral into much less quality play than he is capable of

he can be hard enough on himself without supposed laker fans insulting him

the more we support him the better he will do, the better the team will do, and maybe the lakers will get through this rough patch without our wunderkind a little bit better

kwame can do it kwame can do it kwame can do it kwame can do it

he, at his best, can hold down the fort, and play solid d on the opposing big men that come our way...................we gotta support him

link

Disclaimer: This is not a he deserves it thread, its just a position that we are in and if we dont try to support Kwame ( regardless if he is Boo worthy) then it will only end up worse for the Lakers in general)
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#2 » by MAMBAEMD » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:54 pm

I agree with Flea.
Well said.
Booing him will only make it worse.
He needs the support not only of the fans but his teammates (they demonstrated their support for him publically after he was booed.)

If we can get 10 rebounds from him and some good post D, I'll be happy.
Thanks for the post, Phil.
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#3 » by kobeaki » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:05 pm

agreed.

booing and razzing a guy with an already soft ego and head aint gonna make him OR THE TEAM any better...

the clowns who did that probably are the bandwagoners who had their tickets given to them...

the sad truth in la la land is that the real laker diehards dont go to the games...
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

:lol:
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#4 » by TonyMontana » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:12 pm

johnny-come-lately

:rofl:
8'sReverse
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#5 » by 8'sReverse » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:18 pm

I will do my best to support him. But saying Kwame can be better is just ignorant. Still though, he's the only center we have at this point (sorry guys Congo Taco is only here 9 more days, lol), so I say cheer him on.
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#6 » by hermes » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 pm

we're all here for you kwame
zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#7 » by zen_4_10 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm not going to say wether or not he deserved it and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but when Kwame was getting booed - and they still went into him a few more times - when he made another quick move for a lay up the crowd silenced and you got the sense they were ready to explode with cheers if he had made it.

They just never had anything to cheer about.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#8 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Flea = EMO
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#9 » by SashAlex » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Flea is the man ! RHCP forever !
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#10 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Flee was late I already made a thread about Kwame and the booing thing,which got a lot of responses.

Good stuff still !
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#11 » by hermes » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:37 pm

how dare Flea steal your glory 8)
J Rob
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#12 » by J Rob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:01 pm

I disagree with Flea.

Its not like anybody here hates Kwame and wants to see him fail, but if you play like s then sometimes you get booed.

It happens in professional sports all the time...football, baseball, and yes...basketball.

I mean, Yankee fans have booed A-Rod, and even Derek Jeter of all people. It comes with the territory.

To be honest, in a weird way, I think the booing ended up inspiring Kwame to play harder this last game.

He looked sharp and alert and was very aggressive on the boards and defensive end.

So before we play the Kwame's a baby and let's nuture him card, let's consider the fact that all the coddling could be contributing to his terrible play.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,975

Post#13 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Plus, I hate the whole "you're not a real fan if you...." deal.

Who the hell is he to judge anybody's fandom?
Pinot love
Junior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Pinot love » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:05 pm

yea but you're Laker fans and most of you suuuuuuuck :winkgrin:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#15 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Maybe we should lower our standards and root for the Packers.
J Rob
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by J Rob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Plus, I hate the whole "you're not a real fan if you...." deal.

Who the hell is he to judge anybody's fandom?

Well, he's a rich celebrity that can afford good season seats, so he's obviously a better fan than you or I.

Ya, that annoys me too. Everyone can be whatever type of fan they want to be.

Personally, I don't care for the fans (like your Packers example) who just make excuses for their team/players no matter what.

I think if the team/player is playing like s, you have the right to let him know if you want to.

Obviously there's limits to everything, but the best fans don't stand for mediocracy.

Isn't that why we're Lakers fans and NOT Clipper fans.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#17 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:14 pm

Well the " fandom" assertions aside he has a bigger point then just booing Kwame. I am not going to sit here and sy that Kwames play isnt worthy of being booed. The point he is making is that why would anyone prefer to boo Kwame when it will only hurt the team more?

I am not a Kwame apologist and I dont care if he plays for NBDL next year. We dont have many other options ( see Mbenga) and if it means biting our tongue and fake smiling to get Kwame to just be average anough to get by, then that is the point.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
8'sReverse
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#18 » by 8'sReverse » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm all for cheering on a Laker still, but I go back and forth trying to figure him out. But why try when we already know? He's in his 8th season bottom line... there has to be a point in time where we (the league; everyone) have to accept this is who he is and cannot improve or be consistant.
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#19 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Phil_2.0 wrote:Well the " fandom" assertions aside he has a bigger point then just booing Kwame. I am not going to sit here and sy that Kwames play isnt worthy of being booed. The point he is making is that why would anyone prefer to boo Kwame when it will only hurt the team more?

Or, you can argue that getting booed forced Kwame to take an honest look at his performance and hold himself accountable. The fear of humiliation can be a powerful motivator.

The bottom line is, he responded with a respectable performance last night. Keep it up and he won't have any problem. The choice is his, and he acknowledged as much when he admitted that he shouldn't have let the boos affect his play.
J Rob
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by J Rob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Or, you can argue that getting booed forced Kwame to take an honest look at his performance and hold himself accountable. The fear of humiliation can be a powerful motivator.

The bottom line is, he responded with a respectable performance last night. Keep it up and he won't have any problem. The choice is his, and he acknowledged as much when he admitted that he shouldn't have let the boos affect his play.

+1

J Rob wrote:To be honest, in a weird way, I think the booing ended up inspiring Kwame to play harder this last game.

He looked sharp and alert and was very aggressive on the boards and defensive end.

So before we play the Kwame's a baby and let's nuture him card, let's consider the fact that all the coddling could be contributing to his terrible play.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers