ImageImageImageImageImage

Just a question?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

joe.linnen
Banned User
And1: 0

Just a question? 

Post#1 » by joe.linnen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:22 pm

I was wondering since we have people coming off the books this year would we go after Gerald Green. The reason I'm asking is beacuse Vujacic and Karl both come off the books this season. Either of them could decide to sign else where. So here is my question. would Gerald Green be a player that you would go after. Just asking? Lots of people said he has what it takes to be a great defender as well and our scoring isn't a problem, but we could always use help on the defensive end tho.

SF:Walton/Ariza
PF:Odom/Turiaf/Radmanovic
C:Bynum/Mihm
SG:Bryant/Green
PG:Fisher/Farmar/Crittenton
8'sReverse
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#2 » by 8'sReverse » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:25 pm

...for the right price.
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#3 » by hermes » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:29 pm

is it because he won the dunk contest last year?
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#4 » by joe.linnen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:37 pm

hermes wrote:is it because he won the dunk contest last year?

No, why would you ask a question like that? One good event is no reason to sign a player. I was just wondering if he would be a good pick up if Vijacic and Karl leave after this season. Thats all.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#5 » by slifersd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:59 pm

He came out of high school being billed as the number one high school player in the country, ahead of Bynum and Webster. Some even compared him to Tracy McGrady, but somehow, his career never really took off. I would absolutely love to sign him here and take Karl's roster spot. I know Green hasn't exactly been living up to his potential yet, but it is just hard to imagine him doing worse than Karl, who is doing nothing on the bench for us. Maybe under the guidance of Kobe, he can turn his career around and become a star in this league.
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#6 » by joe.linnen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:07 pm

slifersd wrote:He came out of high school being billed as the number one high school player in the country, ahead of Bynum and Webster. Some even compared him to Tracy McGrady, but somehow, his career never really took off. I would absolutely love to sign him here and take Karl's roster spot. I know Green hasn't exactly been living up to his potential yet, but it is just hard to imagine him doing worse than Karl, who is doing nothing on the bench for us. Maybe under the guidance of Kobe, he can turn his career around and become a star in this league.

If what you said is true then we'll be set for the future then:

SF:Green
PF:Turiaf
C:Bynum
SG:Crittenton
PG:Farmar
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#7 » by TonyMontana » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Interesting .
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,655

Post#8 » by dockingsched » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:57 pm

sasha > green
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#9 » by Danny Darko » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:21 am

dcash4 wrote:sasha > green

true, but Sasha needed some time to get hip... Green might too.

It would be kinda funny, but suck if Sasha got an offer that over paid him to leave us after all the crap he has gotten from us. I could see him dropping threes left and right... as apposed to Smush who defected to the Heat in a secret plan to ruin their team. Mitch, you sneaky bastard. :wink:
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#10 » by joe.linnen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 am

TonyMontana wrote:Interesting .

Interesting in a good or bad way?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#11 » by Slava » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:07 am

Green is a pretty interesting prospect for a couple of reasons.

He was raw out of high school and still hasn't refined his game for the NBA but still he's probably a pretty good back up SG. It was pretty clear right from the beginning that the Celtics wanted to package him in a deal and therefore never really took any interest in developing his talent.

Secondly he hasn't really had an opportunity to play in a meaningful role and therefore could have a kind of talent that hasn't been exploited yet, if true there;s no better coach and leader to be with than Phil and Kobe.

Interesting prospect to say the least and I'd even offer Kwame and our 1st rd pick at the deadline if our front court isn't as feeble as it is right now.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Slava » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:09 am

^^ Other pieces and picks should be needed ofcourse!
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#13 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:53 am

Green is still very raw. I remember the Lakers were very seriously considering picking him before they locked onto Bynum in the last few days before the draft.
He has great atheletic ability.
It is troubling that he really has shown very little signs of progression in the NBA. He is still a high-flyer act, but is wild and fundamentally unsound. This is one kid that would have been better off going to college for a year or two.

In any case, why would the Lakers want him at this point? Don't we already have enough youngsters? I think we should develop our existing young talent and get some veteran help.
Kirk Moon
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Kirk Moon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:16 am

Sasha > Green.
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#15 » by joe.linnen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:45 pm

I was just thinking maybe Kobe and Phil could help him bring out his hidden talent. I feel that with Green playing under Phil and playing with Kobe should move him in the right direction. Maybe he could be a 17/6/6 type player. Just me thinking!
lovethisgame
Sophomore

Post#16 » by lovethisgame » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:42 pm

joe.linnen wrote:I was just thinking maybe Kobe and Phil could help him bring out his hidden talent. I feel that with Kwame Brown playing under Phil and playing with Kobe should move him in the right direction. Maybe he could be a 17/6/6 type player. Just me thinking!

Edited. Sound familiar?
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#17 » by joe.linnen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:41 pm

lovethisgame wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Edited. Sound familiar?

But we must also remember that we can't always base the future off of things that happened in the past. I just don't see that same path being taken we Gerald Green at all. Gerald never had that player to look up to. Paul doesn't count because he didn't even play that season and in Minnesota all you have is Walker and Ratliff. So I feel is that all he needs is somebody to guide him down the right path.
blix
Analyst

Post#18 » by blix » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:50 pm

From what I hear...Green has ups and that's about it. Ask Boston, I think they had the same hopes when they drafted him.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#19 » by Dexmor » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:36 pm

I actually think it is very smart and something they will do. They wanted to draft him in 05 or at least talked about it.
I think they will offer him the full midlevel.
He has got TMac potential and with that alone he is worth it. Even if he just ends up being a 10 point a game scorer off the bench or even a career backup just by having a 2% chance he can be a TMac makes him worth 30 mill.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Slava » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 pm

Green can be something good but please don't even mention him in the same sentence as T-MAC. McGrady is probably the second best SG of this decade next only to Kobe Bryant.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers