ImageImageImageImageImage

LA Defenders

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

LADUANE
Senior
And1: 0

LA Defenders 

Post#1 » by LADUANE » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:51 am

The Lakers need to add players to there NBDL team that they can call up in case of injuries. Is that not the reason they bought there own team to use it like a baseball farm system. They just added 6'10 fromer UCLA J. McCoy to the roster. Would he not be better than DJ Mbenga. I wish Sun or Marc Gasal was on the team just to see how they are doing. Seems like we are not using the team except to ship one of our rookies down there for some playing time. It should work both ways.
triplethreatt
Sophomore

Post#2 » by triplethreatt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:12 am

The only players the Lakers have exclusive rights to on the DFenders are the ones they send down (and are actually on the Lakers current roster). If Sun and Marc were on the DFenders, they would have to be on the Lakers roster, meaning two players would have to be cut (likely Mbenga and Karl).
Sashobe
Starter
And1: 79

Post#3 » by Sashobe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:40 am

What I think the the team should do is go to Lasme for a 10-day, who plays on the Defenders. He leads the D-League in blocks and has played solid defense. He is one of the top players on the D-League list (According to RealGM) and I think with these injuries, unless we find a trade that suits us, we should look at guys like Lasme.

I am just hoping the Warriors do not have rights to Lasme. lol
Kweli
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Kweli » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:42 am

^ I'm pretty sure they do.

The article said they drafted him and talked about how it could be good for them to pull him up near the end of the season.
Sashobe
Starter
And1: 79

Post#5 » by Sashobe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:42 am

Well get him on their team and get him the hell off ours. The Defenders shouldn't be a team for players thats rights are bound to another team.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,412

Post#6 » by Slava » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 am

IIRC wasn't Jealnie McCoy on our roster at soem point during the 3-peat years?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LA-LA-Land
Junior

Post#7 » by LA-LA-Land » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:50 pm

j-far wrote:IIRC wasn't Jealnie McCoy on our roster at soem point during the 3-peat years?

that is correct. the 2001-2002 roster which achieved the 3-peat and the most recent laker championship trophy.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#8 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:52 pm

The Warriors DO NOT have the rights to Lasme. In fact, interestingly, they cut Lasme to sign Mbenga!

And so he can be signed to a 10-day contract (or more) by any team with a roster spot to accommodate him.

Lasme is an "undersized PF" who did great things defensively in college, where he spent all four years. So in a sense, as a "big man" with a lot of college experience, he should be dominating for the D-Fenders.

The Warriors designated franchise is the Bakersfield Jam (shared with the Kings), where projects Patrick O'Bryant and Kosta Petrovic have spent some time. And the D-Leaguers who GS has picked up (Azubuike and CJ Watson) came from other D-League teams.

Why bother fielding an exclusive D-League team? So when the Lakers or Spurs send a young guy down for seasoning, they have the say as to what sort of system is run (do the D-Fenders run the triangle?), everyone is on the same page in terms of priorities, playing time, and getting the youngsters ready to contribute for their teams in the big league, and you don't have to trek across the state (or states) in order to scout and check up on your young prospects.

There is a long-running dispute on the GS board about sitting (and cutting) young big men draft picks in favor of giving serious playing time to "undrafted scrubs." So for that reason alone I would love it if the Lakers signed Lasme and everyone could see for themselves whether the guy can play or not, outside of the junior leagues.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers