ImageImageImageImageImage

Bynum has weird relationship with the lakers?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

bynumite120
Ballboy
And1: 0

Bynum has weird relationship with the lakers? 

Post#1 » by bynumite120 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:28 pm

http://hoopshype.com/articles/brown_lazenby.htm
this article talks about how bynum has a wierd relationship with the organization,it also talks about bringing kwame back

[Title edited for spelling]
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Re: Bynum has wierd relationship with the lakers? 

Post#2 » by hermes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:32 pm

kwame riding out of town to a chorus of boos?

i was under the impression LA fans were dancing in the street when they heard he left
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,472

Post#3 » by Slava » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Millionaires and their egos! :nonono:

Just when I though this is a calm off season!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#4 » by hermes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 pm

and what is this
internal battle between the children of Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who are competing for daddy’s love and control of the franchise.

Long known as a party guy who doesn’t even come into the Lakers offices on a regular basis, Jim Buss was viewed by the Jeanie Buss faction as the villain who fired Jackson in 2004, traded Shaquille O'Neal and hired ill-fated coach Rudy Tomjanovich.

Since Jackson’s return, it has been the mission of Jeanie Buss to try to control and limit the ineptness of her brother, a nice guy who is said to keep his bartender on the Lakers payroll.

Yet the Jeanie faction in the Lakers organization stays awake at night worrying about what Jim might do or say next.

i got my money on Jeanie for winning Jerry's love
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,264

Post#5 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 pm

This is the most insightful and interesting piece I've read in months. Lazenby articles are always quality.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#6 » by kno » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:49 pm

Yup. Lazenby is pretty much the only thing Hoopshype has going for it.

The part I found most interesting is that even though Jim Buss prides himself in being the one that saved the Lakers franchise from a Sean May disaster, he pretty much eliminated that positive he had by telling him to find his own people per se. I was completely unaware of this.

What if Bynum was never told that? What if he followed the Lakers' doctors advice and sutured the knee?

interesting article nonetheless.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,420

Post#7 » by Danny Darko » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:57 pm

the org has alot of weird relationships and alot of rings. If you will recall Kareem had a weird relationship with the whole team despite being "Cap" he was an outcast socially.

With Regards to Bynum no one is saying he's only here now because Jim wants him here. I'm sure Jerry wants him here as long as he's healthy. Hiring his own coach? Seems to have worked out skill wise. The accident was freak, so maybe Jim was right to have him get one on one attention and improve as fast as he could with no other players to split a coaches attention with.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,420

Post#8 » by Danny Darko » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 pm

I blame the decision not to play for the playoffs on his agent not his doctors.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,835

Post#9 » by TyCobb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 pm

^^^ Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

**** agents.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,264

Post#10 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 pm

Kno wrote:Yup. Lazenby is pretty much the only thing Hoopshype has going for it.

The part I found most interesting is that even though Jim Buss prides himself in being the one that saved the Lakers franchise from a Sean May disaster, he pretty much eliminated that positive he had by telling him to find his own people per se. I was completely unaware of this.

What if Bynum was never told that? What if he followed the Lakers' doctors advice and sutured the knee?

interesting article nonetheless.

Absolutely, totally unacceptable for a member of the front office -- if we can call Silver Spoon that -- to undermine his head coach so blatantly. There was obviously something strange going on with Andrew's injury. Be it his agent or doctor or whoever, clearly he's listening to somebody outside the organization. That's bad news, and the fact that Buss might have laid the groundwork for that is just mind-boggling. Yet another example of the destructive nature of the human ego.
AceFresh
Senior
And1: 3

Post#11 » by AceFresh » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 pm

j-far wrote:Millionaires and their egos! :nonono:

Just when I though this is a calm off season!

co-sign
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#12 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 pm

All gossip as far as I'm concerned, he ties the the whole thing back to bringing Kwame back ?
First off in "todays" NBA all guys get second opinions on injuries that are serious. Nothing new there.

Second Phil has never been a hands on coach as far as teaching a young player, he's adapt to coaching proven veterans and getting them to mesh, again nothing new about that either.

You had to know the Bynum's injury would come to surface and now it's coming out. Bynum's agent never wanted the team to operate on him anyway knowing Bynum was due for an extension. That
was pretty much common sense from they're stand point.

Another thing is the whole thing seems to be a power struggle among the Buss kids for ultimate control of the franchise once Dr. Buss hands it over. Jim sees Phil as a deterant and is trying to wax him out the picture. Only thing though is he's kickin it with Jeanie. Jim might as well get use to Phil being the "Big Dog" one day.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#13 » by milesfides » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:01 am

Well, we all talked and speculated about the power struggle within the organization. Especially last summer when Kobe called it a "mess."

So Jim is incompetent and seems to be taking credit for Bynum. We knew that already.
Jeannie and Phil are a team and want to hold Jim in check. Got that too.

The most interesting thing about the article is the surgery that Bynum's handlers wanted to avoid. The implication is that Bynum's "people" wanted to avoid the risks accompanying knee surgery which might jeopardize the amount of his extension.

While that's understandable, if Bynum isn't ready to go, and eventually gets surgery, Jim Buss has to be held ultimately responsible for giving Bynum the independence to get his own trainers and doctors.

Jim has to be held accountable, not only for delaying Bynum's recovery time, but perhaps costing us a championship last month.

At least that's what Lazenby seems to be saying between the lines.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Post#14 » by TylersLakers » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:02 am

Corvus Crow wrote:I blame the decision not to play for the playoffs on his agent not his doctors.

Bang on.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by milesfides » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:06 am

Well, Bynum's not a hapless pawn either...if the agent is the primary force behind these decisions, one has to assume that Bynum approves.

If Bynum is tuning out advice from the organization, the doctors, management, coaching staff, etc., he's got to be held responsible as well.

Players fire/let go of agents all the time. Ultimately it's the players who make these decisions.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by kno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:14 am

milesfides wrote:Well, we all talked and speculated about the power struggle within the organization. Especially last summer when Kobe called it a "mess."

So Jim is incompetent and seems to be taking credit for Bynum. We knew that already.
Jeannie and Phil are a team and want to hold Jim in check. Got that too.

The most interesting thing about the article is the surgery that Bynum's handlers wanted to avoid. The implication is that Bynum's "people" wanted to avoid the risks accompanying knee surgery which might jeopardize the amount of his extension.

While that's understandable, if Bynum isn't ready to go, and eventually gets surgery, Jim Buss has to be held ultimately responsible for giving Bynum the independence to get his own trainers and doctors.

Jim has to be held accountable, not only for delaying Bynum's recovery time, but perhaps costing us a championship last month.

At least that's what Lazenby seems to be saying between the lines.

Yup. Thats pretty much the jist of it.

Jim Buss seems to pride himself with the Bynum selection. Its the only thing that has kept him in reach of the organization IMO, regardless of the fact that he committed crucial mistakes before B came around.

Now, even though he may have selected Bynum (which i'll be teh first to give him credit for), he obliterated the chance the Lakers had at a championship like you said. Bynum, if healthy, was exactly what teh Lakers needed to get past teh KG/Perkins frontline.

Now, the question is (regardless of who his agent was), would Bynum had come back healthy in time if he wouldve followed what the Lakers' doctors have said? Would've he still had complications or whatever it was that set back his return date and eventually ended his season?

I wonder how Buss SR. sees the power struggle. Im wondering how he sees the battle between Jeannie and Jim and who he would say is ahead in this race.

Logical decision, at least in my mind, is to go with Jeannie, but with this organization, you just never know.

After all, its Hollywood.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by milesfides » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:37 am

I think the fact that Jerry Buss hasn't kicked Jim Buss out, let alone let him in the first place, shows that Jerry wants to hand the Lakers over to Jim.

I mean, it's a no contest between Jeannie and Jim. Jeannie is intelligent, professional, and successful. Jim...the characterizations aren't so flattering.

It's funny how Jim seems to be taking the credit for Bynum...I also remember reading last summer that several Lakers staff people rolled their eyes at this - Jim Buss wasn't even there when the Lakers were scouting Andrew Bynum or working out.

One could just imagine the scene. Lakers management meeting with top brass and scouts, deliberating who to draft. When they come to Bynum, Jim claps his hands "ooh! ooh! 7 feet and big! Let's take this guy, whatever his name is."

Eventually the Lakers do draft Bynum, and Jim claims Bynum was his pick.

Can't you see that happening? I bet that's how it went down.

Anyways, I think it's inevitable that Jerry will pass the Lakers down to Jim. Blood is thicker than water. And Jerry's preference for his male heir can easily be understood as he surrounds himself with a gaggle of young girls whom he has the sex with.

The question is, can the Lakers succeed despite Jim Buss?

In medieval times, these situations were usually resolved through intrigue and bloodshed.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by kno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:06 am

Hmm, so you think the fact that Jim is still around, despite his wrongdoings, is enough of a sign to tell you Buss is destined to hand the team down to him? Interesting theory which I could see happening completely. Do you think Buss SR will try to cover up anything Jimmy does (wrong) from now on, knowing he'll eventually be inheriting the team? You dont think anything Jeannie does (good) from now on will chance Buss SR's preference for a Male heir?

This poses the question, would Buss prefer to have a team succeed under his female counterpart, or struggle under his male heir?

Of course, none of these two options is a given, but its what we're lead to believe will happen given past events and their personal characteristics.

BTW, that Bynum/Jimmy scenario you posted couldve been exactly how it went down. Sadly, we will never know (unless someone from within talks of course). For all we know, Jimmy couldve been the one who first brought up Bynum to the org and did everything within his power to scout him and persuade the org to take him.

Given the characteristics and personal traits about Jimmy we've been fed both through the media and through his family talking, the scenario I just brought up might be completely out of teh question, but again, we'll never know. We'll be left playing a guessing game from here on out.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by milesfides » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:42 am

I think Jerry will do everything in his power for Jim to succeed. He's going to give him every chance. That seems to be Jerry's approach with Jim. If the reports are correct, nobody likes him in the organization. That he's still there in a position of power and influence, despite being unqualified, tells me Jerry has committed to his son Jim.

I think it's clear Jerry Buss wants Jeannie to handle the business side, Jim to handle the basketball side. Now, that might not be a huge problem if Jim acknowledged his limitations. If Jim were actually a smart guy, he'd let people do their jobs, but it's clear that he's meddlesome, and as Lazenby points out, self-defeating. Why would somebody high up in the organization such as Jim Buss tell Bynum to get his own people, instead of trusting in the team's doctors and trainers?

Because Jim is an idiot, and didn't foresee the obvious consequences of his actions. Jim is unqualified, inexperienced, and most of all, doesn't know his own ignorance, and that makes him dangerous to the future of this franchise.

Kno wrote:

BTW, that Bynum/Jimmy scenario you posted couldve been exactly how it went down. Sadly, we will never know (unless someone from within talks of course). For all we know, Jimmy couldve been the one who first brought up Bynum to the org and did everything within his power to scout him and persuade the org to take him.

Well, we know that much didn't happen. The Latimes reported that Jim Buss wasn't there to scout Bynum. The real credit probably goes to Ronnie Lester, who attended Bynum's workouts held by his coach in New Jersey, believed Bynum was the real deal, and arranged for Bynum to be brought out to LA for a workout which Mitch, Phil, and Jim Buss attended.

This is what Ronnie Lester told the Kamenetzky brothers:

"RL: Well, we felt — Andrew Bynum’s a center, he’s 7 feet with a 7-foot-6 wingspan, you normally don’t find centers 10th in the draft. If you’re gonna draft a center, you’re probably in the top four or five. And the good centers, they go real early. We liked a lot of things about Andrew. As a kid. His work ethic. His size. His frame. Being able to draft a center at number 10, which you normally can’t do. We felt he was too good to pass up. We know it’s gonna take time. He was 17 years old when we drafted him. But if he had gone to college for a couple of years, we probably never would have been able to draft him at 10. So we felt he was a player at 10, to get a center, that we just couldn’t pass up. "

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblo ... rian_.html

I like how Ronnie Lester uses the collective "we" instead of the "I" that Jim Buss uses. That Jim Buss was among those whom Ronnie Lester convinced hardly justifies the egotism of Jim Buss, but by all accounts, that's exactly what Jim Buss is all about.
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#20 » by El Hardee » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:50 am

Lil Buss=Douche bag
Bynum=Douche in training

Bynum/Luke/Vlad/Farmar for Deng/Hinrich/TT

Hinrich/Fish
Kobe/Sasha
Deng/Ariza
Lamar/TT
Pau/Mihm

Do it Mitch!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers