72 wins was closer than it looked!

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Re: 72 wins was closer than it looked! 

Post#21 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:48 am

SuigintouEV wrote:
by G.S. who staggered into the playoffs as the 8th seed & met Dallas in the 1st round and true to form,

G.S. didn't stagger into the playoffs, they were absolutely dominant after they made the trade for stephen jackson and al harrington midway into the season.

Yeah, they dominated their way to the 8th seed :lol: If they had played anyone else besides Dallas they would have been a 1st round casualty. You don't believe me? What happened when they got to the 2nd round? Bounced!
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Old World Order
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Old World Order » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:49 am

A) I saw a post from a guy named BGil saying 70 wins would be easy...that's funny.

B) The Lakers had some losses they really should've won, but so did those Bulls, and every other team that won 65+. If the Lakers were closer to 72 wins than it looked, those Bulls were closer to 76 or so wins than it looked, so it all evens out.

C) Chicago being in the middle of the country probably did help more than one thinks- it's not the middle of the country, but it is in the middle of NBA country- but 45 minutes a flight doesn't make that big of a difference.
kevin_405
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#23 » by kevin_405 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:09 pm

There is a common factor in our close losses , bad defensive decisions on doubling or leaving jump shooters free.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#24 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Old World Order wrote:A) I saw a post from a guy named BGil saying 70 wins would be easy...that's funny.

B) The Lakers had some losses they really should've won, but so did those Bulls, and every other team that won 65+. If the Lakers were closer to 72 wins than it looked, those Bulls were closer to 76 or so wins than it looked, so it all evens out.

C) Chicago being in the middle of the country probably did help more than one thinks- it's not the middle of the country, but it is in the middle of NBA country- but 45 minutes a flight doesn't make that big of a difference.

:offtopic: This topic is not about how many games the Bulls could have won. The record is set @ 72 it's in the books, you can't change that. This topic was about how close we could have gotten to 72
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Old World Order
Banned User

Post#25 » by Old World Order » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Okay, and if you're gonna play shoulda/coulda games, it's only fair to acknowledge that other teams in the history of the NBA can do that, too. In the end the Lakers weren't really that close.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#26 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:42 pm

Old World Order wrote:Okay, and if you're gonna play shoulda/coulda games, it's only fair to acknowledge that other teams in the history of the NBA can do that, too. In the end the Lakers weren't really that close.

You're just not understanding what's at hand. I'm not trying to put you on blast its just fact.
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Old World Order
Banned User

Post#27 » by Old World Order » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:47 pm

My point was all teams have winnable games they don't win. What's the point in re-hashing them for one team and not for another? Or re-hashing at all?
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#28 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:04 am

kevin_405 wrote:There is a common factor in our close losses , bad defensive decisions on doubling or leaving jump shooters free.
Thank you kevin_405, for realizing what others here couldn't simplisticly understand. It's not too hard to understand that if you exacute properly in those situations you'd win the games period.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#29 » by Anklebreaker702 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:01 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
kevin_405 wrote:There is a common factor in our close losses , bad defensive decisions on doubling or leaving jump shooters free.
Thank you kevin_405, for realizing what others here couldn't simplisticly understand. It's not too hard to understand that if you exacute properly in those situations you'd win the games period.

See you guys get it. Almost every topic that's brought up somebody always tries to change it to what they want it to be. I thought I made this thread pretty straight forward.
VETERAN LAKER FAN
butter17
Starter

Post#30 » by butter17 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:03 am

Old World Order wrote:My point was all teams have winnable games they don't win. What's the point in re-hashing them for one team and not for another? Or re-hashing at all?
Because this is a laker board. :tooth If this was the general board, i could understand what your saying.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#31 » by Anklebreaker702 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:05 am

Old World Order wrote:My point was all teams have winnable games they don't win. What's the point in re-hashing them for one team and not for another? Or re-hashing at all?

Did you not read this in the opening post?
anklebreaker702 wrote:Those are the 7 that stood out in my mind which would have given us 72 wins. Also we lost Bynum for 32 games. I know injury's are part of the game so I really don't want to get too deep in to that but give me your opinions on if you agree or not & if we can make a run at it next year :D
VETERAN LAKER FAN

Return to Los Angeles Lakers