ImageImageImageImageImage

Interesting Stat: Kobe shot selection (hits 70% NEAR paint)

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Jordan-esque
Bench Warmer
And1: 399

Interesting Stat: Kobe shot selection (hits 70% NEAR paint) 

Post#1 » by Jordan-esque » Mon May 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Kobe Bryant in Rockets Series:

1st Stat - Distance of FG Attempts %
Percentage of total shots Kobe takes near the paint:

= .446 Attempts (46 - 103)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Percentage of total shots Kobe takes over 20+ feet or farther:

= .553 Attempts (57 - 103)

2nd Stat - Distance of FG Made %
Percentage of shots Kobe makes when he shoots around the paint:

= 70 FG% (32 - 46)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Percentage of shots Kobe makes when he shoots over 20+ feet or farther:

= 28 FG% (16 - 57)

Breakdown:

- Kobe takes 55% more of his shots at 20-feet or farther (11% more than mid/close range)

- Kobe only makes a dismal 28% of those long range shots at 20-feet or farther

- When Kobe takes a shot LESS than 20-feet (44% of the time) he makes a sizzling 70% of his shots

From memory, it would seem like Kobe took a much larger volume of his shots long range, but in actuality he only took 11 more long range shots than he did mid/close range (11%). I guess that's because him missing a LOT of those long range shots make it seem like he shoots a lot more of those. However, an 11% difference isn't quite that big of a jump. If Kobe can at least take more of his shots closer to 20-feet or less, he'd be a lot, a LOT more efficient in offense.

One can only Imagine if half of his 20+ foot attempts were simply 19 footers instead.

Magic number for Kobe... "Take Less 20-foot Shots".
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Re: Interesting Stat: Kobe's shot selection (hits 70% in paint) 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Mon May 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Agreed. But apparently you need to have more jump shots if you're a guard.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
cavsfan_osiris
Starter
And1: 4

Post#3 » by cavsfan_osiris » Mon May 11, 2009 9:10 pm

I agree, but his percentage won't stay at 70% if he is forcing shots inside. With Yao out for the series the Lakers should make it a priority to get him good looks inside.

There is no damn excuse for Kobe not getting any free throws in a post-season game.
much respect to the 2011-2012 champions, Miami Heat, well deserved
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#4 » by DEEP3CL » Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 pm

cavsfan_osiris wrote:There is no damn excuse for Kobe not getting any free throws in a post-season game.
Even worse the Rockets have out shot us from the line the whole damn series. I remember the days when Kobe would go to the line 9-12 times a night, now going 3-5 times is considered a good night.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
lakersfanatic
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#5 » by lakersfanatic » Mon May 11, 2009 9:27 pm

yeah.. i don't see us attaching the basket much. Why are we so afraid to attack the basketball. You drive.. u miss.. either you get fouled or not.. but the percentage of getting a foul is much higher than not.. Seeing kobe 70% shows how many shots we can make in the paint as well as at least draw a shooting foul...
Snip
Sophomore

Post#6 » by Snip » Mon May 11, 2009 9:34 pm

He hasn't driven much because rockets were clogging up the lanes. However I am sure that will change the next few games.
magic1fan
Starter

Post#7 » by magic1fan » Mon May 11, 2009 10:12 pm

i must admit kobe looks lazy going to the basket sometimes. i thought he couldn't get there,but then he shows you a move that let's you know he still has it. hard to say what goes on in that peanut head of his.
Only on realgm is 27,000 points, 5 rings, 1 rs mvp and 2 finals mvp considered overrated!
magic1fan
Starter

Post#8 » by magic1fan » Mon May 11, 2009 10:15 pm

lakersfanatic wrote:yeah.. i don't see us attaching the basket much. Why are we so afraid to attack the basketball. You drive.. u miss.. either you get fouled or not.. but the percentage of getting a foul is much higher than not.. Seeing kobe 70% shows how many shots we can make in the paint as well as at least draw a shooting foul...

i will say this about our team as a whole because i saw it with the boston series. when you are considered a great defensive team by the media like the rox are,you are allowed to get away with things like,illegal picks,grabbing,pushing and etc. i think sometimes guys get frustrated about the lack of no calls. not making an excuse but if the ref is not going to blow the whisle in your favor then why keep putting your body through it,especially guys like odom,and bynum who the ref's would probably foul out. that's why i was happy to see fisher lay some wood,maybe we get that label as the playoffs go on,and are allowed to do some of the things other teams do.
Only on realgm is 27,000 points, 5 rings, 1 rs mvp and 2 finals mvp considered overrated!
Kobe1986
Banned User

Post#9 » by Kobe1986 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 pm

magic1fan wrote:i must admit kobe looks lazy going to the basket sometimes. i thought he couldn't get there,but then he shows you a move that let's you know he still has it. hard to say what goes on in that peanut head of his.

i have to agree with that
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#10 » by hermes » Mon May 11, 2009 11:11 pm

closer you get, better you shoot

that's how it is for me anyway
Jordan-esque
Bench Warmer
And1: 399

Post#11 » by Jordan-esque » Mon May 11, 2009 11:27 pm

The Keyword is: NEAR the paint.

Kobe doesn't necessarily have to always shoot IN the paint, just as long as he shoots NEAR it (less than 20-feet) he's already that more effective to make that shot 70% of that time, as opposed to just 28% if he takes the 20-footer.

So maybe before Kobe decides to settle for a 20-foot jumper, he could just take at least 1 or 2 steps forward and take an 18-footer instead. Taking that one extra step shouldn't be that hard now, without Yao patrolling the paint anymore.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#12 » by Mamba Venom » Tue May 12, 2009 7:54 am

SHOT SELECTION IS WHAT KEEPS THE DEFENSE HONEST

If Kobe was predictable than he wouldn't be Kobe
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#13 » by milesfides » Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 am

Kobe is 95% on dunks. Who would've thought basketball was so easy.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#14 » by dingclancy » Tue May 12, 2009 10:29 am

There is a thing called spacing.. especially in the triangle. In our system, you take what the defense gives you. Houston definitely packs the lane and we have excellent post players who can get the job done., unlike before where our post threat was Kwame Brown.

Although I agree that Kobe should drive when the whole Lakers team is failing to get proper spacing and if his jumpshot is not working. Just barrel his way in the paint to keep the defense on its heels. Fisher said in his tweet that they should not drive unnecessarily because they do not want to get into trouble by clogging up the lane especially when we have players who can operate in the post.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#15 » by Erik Eleven » Tue May 12, 2009 2:36 pm

This is why some of us always wanted him to play the three. He's not only a great scorer at that position, he's also a more deadly passer.
KObe Bryant
Analyst

Re: Interesting Stat: Kobe shot selection (hits 70% NEAR paint) 

Post#16 » by KObe Bryant » Tue May 12, 2009 4:25 pm

Sure that he would know about this stuff. Kobe will be Kobe and I respect his shot selection. But yes, It's still better to get inside as possible and draw fouls.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Re: Interesting Stat: Kobe shot selection (hits 70% NEAR paint) 

Post#17 » by Speedlot » Tue May 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Look at lebronze's shots near the paint, and then outside the paint. It's laughable.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers