ImageImageImageImageImage

The Memorial Day Massacre

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

The Memorial Day Massacre 

Post#1 » by El Hardee » Tue May 12, 2009 1:19 pm

Our last game reminded me of the Memorial Day Massacre, game 1 of the '85 finals, Lakers vs. Boston at the Garden. Boston absolutely handled us 148-114, the media and fans were pretty much writing us off for the rest of the series and crowning Boston the Champs, but lo and behold we bounced back and took the series 4-2 winning game 6 in the Garden crushing all the ghost that have been haunting our great organization. I know Kobe and Gasol are not worthy to carry Magic and KAJ's jock strap, as a matter of fact I dont think Bynum is worthy to carry Chuck Nevitt's strap but maybe, just maybe the guys might turn it around just like the past legends have and we can turn a negative loss into a positive, keeping our focus and intensity all the way to the crown. Let the Purple Reign begin. (had to throw in a 80's reference)
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Re: The Memorial Day Massacre 

Post#2 » by El Hardee » Tue May 12, 2009 1:21 pm

WAR LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#3 » by DEEP3CL » Tue May 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Man many here were probably just born when that took place, they can't even begin to offer analysis on that game. But you're right EL Hardee,it was exactly a carbon copy. Only thing is I think Boston shot way way better than this Rocket team did. Sundays game was more about the effort given. Remember also that was Game 1 of the Finals and the Lakers had just flown all night across country.

But that is why vets like us don't freak out like the young'ins when stuff like this happens ! We've seen it before.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by El Hardee » Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 pm

Nice to see some old schoolers on here, this team has no where near the warrior mentality that the Showtime team did, but I'm just hoping they develop it by going through adversity. Magic, KAJ, Rambis,Coop,Byron,Moe Lucas were some strait killers on the court, if this squad could be half as intense as them we'll be just fine.
lakersfanatic
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#5 » by lakersfanatic » Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 pm

i was watching lakers history stuff and saw that series.. That was a good series. Just hope this can mirror that hehe
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#6 » by TruSkool » Tue May 12, 2009 4:09 pm

those were the days
KObe Bryant
Analyst

Post#7 » by KObe Bryant » Tue May 12, 2009 4:19 pm

I expect a blowout in Game 5 for Houston. They won't get away with this.
butter17
Starter

Post#8 » by butter17 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:48 pm

I guess we can call this the mothers day massacre. :lol:
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#9 » by microfib4thewin » Tue May 12, 2009 4:53 pm

The team hasn't exhibited any killer instinct this year, I don't see how it would be any different now.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#10 » by Erik Eleven » Tue May 12, 2009 6:02 pm

I'm a vet too, by age I guess. I agree that they easily can and probably will bounce back. I'm not crying doomsday just yet. But I'm not going to say that I have as much faith in Sasha's mental toughness after a humiliating loss as I do in Magic's.

In my book, there is no excuse for lack of effort, period. None. Never. If there is one thing that should always be expected in every professional game, it's full effort by every player. Despite the incredible record, this team hasn't given consistent effort, and it aggravates me greatly to watch them half-assing it.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Tue May 12, 2009 10:42 pm

^ I agree EE.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed May 13, 2009 12:26 am

Erik Eleven wrote:I'm a vet too, by age I guess. I agree that they easily can and probably will bounce back. I'm not crying doomsday just yet. But I'm not going to say that I have as much faith in Sasha's mental toughness after a humiliating loss as I do in Magic's.

In my book, there is no excuse for lack of effort, period. None. Never. If there is one thing that should always be expected in every professional game, it's full effort by every player. Despite the incredible record, this team hasn't given consistent effort, and it aggravates me greatly to watch them half-assing it.

That's what upset me most, the lack of effort.

If you lose, you lose. Houston played a great ballgame and they deserve a lot of respect and credit for coming out swinging.

But to just loaf through a playoff game that could have basically clinched the series for us -- I can't tolerate that. Not now, not ever.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#13 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed May 13, 2009 3:42 pm

I remember the Memorial Day Massacre very well. It's good to see so many "veteran" fans who recall that game. Boston just came out with ferocious intensity and the Lakers just seemed tired.

As EE and Sedale and Deep have said, the big difference with the Houston game was the effort and the intensity. It seemed the Lakers were content to have won homecourt back and were under the impression that without Yao in there that they could just cruise.
Lack of effort and intensity is aggravating for those of us who watched the Showtime Lakers because Magic, Big Game James, Cooper, BScott always brought their game with intensity and effort.
There is a more laid back approach with this Lakers team, a no panick mentality. I think that is good sometimes, but when you combine that with a lack of effort, no matter how talented you may or may not be, you stand a good chance of losing big, specially in the playoffs.
Let's hope the intensity and effort stays at a high level the rest of the playoffs.
If not, I really think we may have a hard time getting past Denver.
Formerly lakerRD
TXSun
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by TXSun » Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 pm

good thread title.
"This is some bull $hit"
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#15 » by DEEP3CL » Thu May 14, 2009 5:08 am

TXSun wrote:good thread title.
That's no fake title man....that game really happened but you was way too young to even know about it.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Erik Eleven
RealGM

Post#16 » by Erik Eleven » Thu May 14, 2009 2:08 pm

I think it might be time to stop assuming that every new poster is younger and dumber.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#17 » by DEEP3CL » Fri May 15, 2009 7:03 am

Erik Eleven wrote:I think it might be time to stop assuming that every new poster is younger and dumber.
They expose themselves..............I just do a damn good job of detecting it. It is what it is, no if's, and's or but's about it. EE it's a difference between being a fan and talking basketball and being a fan and KNOWING basketball. Just like it's a difference between playing basketball and being a basketball player............big difference no matter how you cut it.

Bottom line is when guys have 3 decades of watching ball that's a hell'va lot different than a guy who just picked it up 7,8,9....10 years ago.

I mean come on EE who are we fooling here ? When the guy said, "good thread title." That told me all I needed to know.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Erik Eleven
RealGM

Post#18 » by Erik Eleven » Sat May 16, 2009 7:08 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
Erik Eleven wrote:I think it might be time to stop assuming that every new poster is younger and dumber.
They expose themselves..............I just do a damn good job of detecting it. It is what it is, no if's, and's or but's about it. EE it's a difference between being a fan and talking basketball and being a fan and KNOWING basketball. Just like it's a difference between playing basketball and being a basketball player............big difference no matter how you cut it.

Bottom line is when guys have 3 decades of watching ball that's a hell'va lot different than a guy who just picked it up 7,8,9....10 years ago.

I mean come on EE who are we fooling here ? When the guy said, "good thread title." That told me all I needed to know.

If a two month old baby can't walk yet, would you yell at it for not knowing how? By that logic, Einstein should have been a royal douche of a person. In my book, you're not superior until you can carry it with grace. Also, being so damn contentious with everyone you disagree with is sort of not along the guidelines of our rules. Just a heads-up.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#19 » by DEEP3CL » Sat May 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Erik Eleven wrote:In my book, you're not superior until you can carry it with grace.
I don't think I'm above anyone, if I'm too abrasive tell me.

Erik Eleven wrote:Also, being so damn contentious with everyone you disagree with is sort of not along the guidelines of our rules. Just a heads-up.
Show me where I was argumentative ?

And which one of the rules am I circumventing ?

1) Trolling. Warnings will be handed out immediately for posts with ill intent. That goes for both locals and visitors. Attack the post, not the poster. Try to be respectful even when in disagreement or after a controversial loss. NO

2) Baiting. Trying to rile another poster up on purpose in order to get them in trouble. Warnings will be handed out immediately. NO

3) Backseat moderating. If you see a post that's clearly in violation of the rules, report it. Do this by clicking on the report button ( ! ) . Avoid commenting on it. Once reported, the mods get a link to the violating post and we'll handle it from there, as soon as we can. NO, and I could name the guys doing this

4) Derailing. Try to stick to the topic as best you can and contribute to the topic as constructively as you can. To steer a thread off topic with nonsense is against the rules. The moderators will do their best in distinguishing between constructive contribution and destructive nonsense. Violation will warrant a warning. NO

5) Furthermore, the mods will interpret and act within the spirit of the Real GM rules to the best of our ability. If we find a poster constantly being offensive and detrimental to the spirit of the rules, we will hand out an accumulative warning as we find it necessary.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Return to Los Angeles Lakers