ImageImageImageImageImage

Props for 40, 48 and 200! Flag-Time?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Props for 40, 48 and 200! Flag-Time? 

Post#1 » by Erik Eleven » Wed May 13, 2009 4:56 pm

The city of Los Angeles knows basketball, and they have not been impressed with the Lakers on-court conduct despite their 65-17 record. Even though LA's number one sports franchise is in the WC Semi Finals, few Lakers flags are seen on people's cars. It's not something an Angeleno does until the team has earned it.

Angelenos are some of the most hard-working people on the planet. They themselves are people from small cities from all over the world who set outrageous goals, flew to LA to fulfill their dreams, and many of them do. The ones who don't reach their crazy goals still understand what incredible determination and effort it takes, because the whole social culture of this town is made up by the opportunistic mindsets, the optimism, the faith, the purpose and the drive of those that did.

That is why, up until now, there have been little or no Laker flags in traffic around town this post-season. Semi-Finals, but no flags. Spoiled fans? No. Angelenos are simply too used to greatness to be impressed by empty promises of something that could be. Arguments like, "The Lakers will soon turn it on" means nothing around here. Nothing.

This morning, I saw a flag increase. Coincident? I think not. Is it because of the 40 point differential? I think not. It's about how they did it. It's about the unrelenting effort, patience, focus and determination they showed. The team we saw yesterday will be loved forever by this city if they can keep this up. Flags will be on every car and people will never forget the players on this squad. If they keep this focus up.

If you ask me, this must have been the first 48 minute game that this team has played all season. They looked extremely sharp. As they were expected to do, they controlled the game pretty much all the way through — just like we've all hoped to see, and all know that they can. Well, they did it. And it's still not too late to flick that switch, as long as it stays in "ON" position from here on out.

When they play defense like this, not many teams will stand a chance at all. How do you stop Kobe, Gasol, Lamar, Ariza, Brown, Farmar, Luke etc running the fast-break two-on-one and three-on-two? You don't. If they play like this in every game (including on the road, bench mob), they will win the championship. Defense, Rebounds, Rings.

With the 40 point victory, Phil Jackson also becomes the first coach to reach 200 NBA Playoffs wins! Worthy fashion to reach that milestone. Hail, Master Jackson and his mentor Yoda. Congrats.

It's easy as a fan to complain when things are not right, but how about giving our team some hard-earned genuine props when they really deserve it? Feel free to let out all your Laker Pride in this thread. Let's get that Laker flag Mojo going!

It's been since 2003, but I think it's that time again...

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Re: Props for 40, 48 and 200! Flag-Time? 

Post#2 » by hermes » Wed May 13, 2009 5:30 pm

:usa:
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#3 » by crazyeights » Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Great post EE.
KObe Bryant
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#4 » by KObe Bryant » Thu May 14, 2009 3:38 am

I agree. We already have a talented team and if we play defense like that, we would be much more unstoppable.
Joe Kleazy
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#5 » by Joe Kleazy » Thu May 14, 2009 2:26 pm

:usa: :rocking:
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#6 » by miggs » Thu May 14, 2009 11:27 pm

Great post EE.

I agree, I've seen some more flags in my area recently, they close out the Rockets tonight and i'll be having mine on. They must dominate the game from start to finish and show that dominance we all know they have.

GO LAKERS!!! :party:
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,395

Post#7 » by Danny Darko » Fri May 15, 2009 12:23 am

Erik Eleven wrote:
With the 40 point victory, Phil Jackson also becomes the first coach to reach 200 NBA Playoffs wins! Worthy fashion to reach that milestone. Hail, Master Jackson and his mentor Emperor Palpatine. Congrats.

Fixed! :D

In all seriousness though.... With how long we've been complaining about backing into the playoffs and blown playoffs leads vs Utah, then game 4 I really really hope those guys have figured out how to be consistent and show their superior talent every game from here on out. It's going to take a few games for me to really start trusting this team again.
Tesla
Analyst
And1: 102

Post#8 » by Tesla » Fri May 15, 2009 12:31 am

Good post EE.

Oddly enough, I just had put a Laker flag on my car, but that was after the game 3 victory. A friend bought it for me.
Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.
-Nikola Tesla
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#9 » by DubaLakers » Fri May 15, 2009 5:12 am

Sorry EE, never was a Laker flag guy, but nice effort ;).
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#10 » by Erik Eleven » Fri May 15, 2009 1:14 pm

^ I don't sport a flag either, I meant the Lakers playoffs spirit. But if they play consistently like they did in game 5, I might consider getting one. I just figured I'd wait one more game, and sure enough — they under performed again...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers