LeBron: "Kobe was my Idol in High School"

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Jordan-esque
Bench Warmer
And1: 399

LeBron: "Kobe was my Idol in High School" 

Post#1 » by Jordan-esque » Thu May 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Dan Patrick interview.

-- Dan asked LeBron who his idol was growing up in high school. LeBron says it was Kobe Bryant.

-- LeBron said when he was young, he would pretend he was Michael Jordan when he was shooting around for fun. Dan asks him why not Kobe? LeBron says that Kobe hadn't hit many game-winners yet (Kobe was still approximately 20-21 years old at that time). LeBron said what Jordan did to Craig Ehlo 20 years ago, it was just unfair.

-- Regarding Jordan's shot against Ehlo, Dan asked LeBron if he's felt sorry for anyone in guarding him in today's game. "I felt sorry for the Toronto Raptors when Kobe Bryant scored 81 points on them."

-- Dan asked LeBron to build his dream team:

PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: LeBron James
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Shaquille O'Neal (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar a close 2nd)
HC: James Naismith

-- Dan asked why he didn't pick Kobe, and LeBron says that his ultimate dream was to be able to play alongside Jordan; felt sad he had to snub Oscar Robertson too.

Other Topics:

-- Dan asked LeBron if winning a title would make it harder or easier to leave Cleveland. "It's hard to answer that question," LeBron said. "I'm happy in Cleveland, and grateful for the Cavaliers management." But James didn't sound like he had reached any kind of decision about his future.

-- Dan asked LeBron if the Cavs were having fun during their playoff run. James' answer is interesting, considering some of the criticism Cleveland has gotten for celebrating too much. "We have a good time playing basketball," James said. "We don't disrespect the game of basketball."

-- James says with the time off, the Cavs have a lot of time to come up with some good celebrations. LeBron liked Dan's two ideas: the Soul Train line dance, and the old school firm hand shake. We'll see if he uses either of those in the next round.

-- LeBron also had some interesting things to say about last-second shots. "It doesn't have to end with me taking the last shot," LeBron said. "Whatever benefits the team." LeBron said he'd rather make the pass to the guy who hits the game-winner than hit the shot himself."

-- Dan asked LeBron he was going to take 40 shots in a game, how many points could he score, LeBron says about 65-70 points (I personally think at least 90 with all the FT's he's gonna end up taking).

-- Dan asked If LeBron wins a title: "One of the greatest accomplishment of my life."

-- Dan asked If LeBron doesn't win a title: "There's always room for improvement."

Good and really fun interview!
7_ace_7
Senior
And1: 0

Re: LeBron: "Kobe was my Idol in High School" 

Post#2 » by 7_ace_7 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:31 pm

damn, kobes my fav player and the raptors r my fav team.... must the 81 point game continue to break my heart? fml
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Post#3 » by Desiderium » Thu May 14, 2009 5:06 pm

^^ yes
Minhee
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#4 » by Minhee » Thu May 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Very good interview, but doesn't that make MJ his idol?? His ultimate dream and how he emulate MJ as a kid makes me think MJ is his idol and not Kobe, which is totally fine bc we all idolize MJ. But I think LeBron is a smart guy, he said Kobe because he obviously respects Kobe and ultimately he probably has to get through Kobe for that ring, not to mention he is awaiting for that torch to be passed to him so lebron was just showing class to say Kobe. He isn't dumb like Artest where he will say some bs that will motivate Kobe. Very clever from the Chosen One.
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#5 » by dingclancy » Fri May 15, 2009 7:01 am

@Minhee

Kobe was his idol in high school which makes sense. Kobe and Shaq were winning championships when Lebron's was 13 until he got drafted. Which is really scary how young these players are. Imagine Andrew Bynum was 11 when Kobe won his first championship. There is a reason why young players and rookies look up to Kobe.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#6 » by Mamba Venom » Fri May 15, 2009 10:22 am

His ultimate dream is being so good that MJ would be his sidekick.
Kobes ultimate dream is to better than MJ
Wades ultimate dream is thay he is MJ
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,728

Post#7 » by DowJones » Fri May 15, 2009 7:57 pm

LeBron never said Kobe was his idol. I thought Patrick asked him if he was a Kobe fan when he was growing up and he said yeah?
ahwi_quacoe
Senior
And1: 3

Post#8 » by ahwi_quacoe » Sat May 16, 2009 3:15 am

if he's got magic at the point , what the hell would lebron's job be. And he would want to play with MJ ?????
When would Lebron ever touch the ball ????/?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers