ImageImageImageImageImage

The Lakers Offence

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Jameson41
Sophomore
And1: 1

The Lakers Offence 

Post#1 » by Jameson41 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Easy question. How often have the Laker's ran the triangle on offence this post-season?
I noticed during the regular season this Laker's team didn't seem to run the triangle nearly as much as those of the past.
So my question now is how would you break down the Lakers offence?
What percentage of plays woul you day are Isolation? Run the Triangle etc etc
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: The Lakers Offence 

Post#2 » by DubaLakers » Thu May 21, 2009 12:53 am

It's offense, not offence.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#3 » by Sofa King » Thu May 21, 2009 3:55 am

No offence... but...

Speaking of triangle offense...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3AomZ9wGLo
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#4 » by microfib4thewin » Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 am

At the beginning of the year I thought the team would run the triangle more with Gasol spending an offseason training with this team, but they run that even less than last year. Most of the possessions are either Kobe isos or Gasol pounding the ball down low. The ball movement that I see last year has ceased to exist, but on the plus side they played much better against strong defensive teams or slow paced teams.

As long as it's working it doesn't matter to me what kind of plays they are calling.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#5 » by TruSkool » Thu May 21, 2009 4:40 am

ehh...
potato, potaato
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#6 » by Jajwanda » Thu May 21, 2009 4:57 am

They use it on every half-court play. If they use a designed play out of a timeout it can revert to the triangle. Do you ever see a single occasion where the PG shouts out a play? It doesn't happen. Look at the spacing, it's always 2 weak-side, 3 strong side unless Kobe calls for an iso. Pounding the ball to Gasol? The hell do you think we did with Shaq. That was the triangle.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#7 » by crazyeights » Thu May 21, 2009 7:00 am

I've seen the triangle quite a bit. But then again, triangles aren't that hard to make.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#8 » by milesfides » Thu May 21, 2009 1:31 pm

The Lakers almost always try to run the triangle in the halfcourt. The problem is after a pass or two, the offense is abandoned, due to quick or bad shots. Inexperience, selfishness, and the lack of the right kind of talent preclude any consistent or advanced running of the triangle offense.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
large1974
Junior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by large1974 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:58 pm

The lakers always run their offense.People keep thinking that the triangle has set plays.Or they must not be running the offense if they are in a iso formation. The triangle or the triple post offense is designed to recognize what the defense is doing and then react to it. So if one series the defense takes away Pau's post play's you can easly over play the weak side. When you watch the lakers look for this begining play of the triangle offense. Weak side entry (A pass is made to the pinch post) strong side fill ( after the pass is made to the weak side) the passer fills the corner of the strong side. This would be the start of the triangle. Of course they would do it the other way around by doing strong side entry weak side fill. This means the lakers will force an iso on the weak side.They will do this by having the two guards flare past the center after the ball is given to the post man. ( Pau ).This will then make the defense eithier commit to Pau or let the iso take place.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers