And1: 0

Article pimp slaps Bill Simmons for his anti-Kobe article 

Post#1 » by bigchee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:50 pm

BlazersRizing
Assistant Coach
And1: 159

Re: Article pimp slaps Bill Simmons for his anti-Kobe article 

Post#2 » by BlazersRizing » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Bill Simmons hurt yalls feelings I guess.

his article wasn't a lie. it was all fact. every1 is saying Kobe changed and all this, and he proved stat wise that it was just BS.

fact is the Lakers had a easy ass road to the ring since Rockets/Celtics were so injured and the lack of a legit Finals opponent made it even easier.
bigchee
Ballboy

Post#3 » by bigchee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:29 pm

BlazersRizing wrote:Bill Simmons hurt yalls feelings I guess.

his article wasn't a lie. it was all fact. every1 is saying Kobe changed and all this, and he proved stat wise that it was just BS.

fact is the Lakers had a easy ass road to the ring since Rockets/Celtics were so injured and the lack of a legit Finals opponent made it even easier.

Half of Simmons diatribe was simple dimestore psychology you probably subscribe to, yourself.

I get it now. You believe "journalists" like Simmons also are psychologists, qualified and equipped to read the minds of the athletes they interact with, at most, on a five minute basis.

I can play psychologist to. Read this: "I feel sorry for the children who call you dad."

SEE!!! How easy was that?

Bottomline, most people didn't think Kobe changed, but saw the change from Smush, Kwame to Gasol and Lamar as change. So you and Simmons overemphasizing that garbage is pretty much hyperbole on your part. save it
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#4 » by TommyTheCat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:39 pm

i just think it's funny that bill makes a lame attempt at saying kobe hasn't changed from last season to this season. i don't think kobe made much changes from last season but he's made huge changes over the course of his career. a guy that is an upper echelon player rarely makes dramatic leaps from season to season. guys that do that are usually players with motivation problems, young players or players recovering from injury. kobe was mvp last season and runner up this season. was there a huge need or even a realistic chance for him to vastly improve his game from a season ago?

i still question kobe's judgement at times but there is no doubt in my mind that he's a better leader, player and teammate than he was say 5 years ago.

also, simmon's assumptions about the celebration after the victory is as dumb as it gets. sorry bill, not everyone reacts the same or up to your standards.

AND..............If it was such an easy road to the ring, why didn't your b@tch @ss blazers win it?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#5 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Agreed Tommy, the thing that bothered me most about that article was his assertion that the Lakers grit their teeth and tolerate each other, that they have no team spirit or camaraderie. Unless you've got an absolutely ridiculous level of talent -- which the Lakers don't -- you simply can't win a championship without those qualities.

There's an obvious level of affection and respect between key players like Kobe, Fish, Odom and Gasol. They just didn't feel the need to make clowns of themselves with ridiculous pregame antics like the Cavs did. Their championship celebration looked as raccous as any other to me. So that part definitely felt like the nit-picking of an obssessed fan (which is basically what Bill is supposed to be, so maybe knocking him for that is pointless).

I also take issue with the idea that Kobe didn't play significantly better than last year. Granted, it's the whole chicken-egg argument. Our team as a whole sucked last year against Boston, which made his job that much harder. But he also played pretty poorly, I thought, so any criticism was entirely warranted in my book.

But how can you honestly argue that he didn't play better when he just became the first player since Jerry West in 69 to average 32 points and 7 assists in a Finals? He had his low moments, like Game 3 (awful) and the fourth quarter of Game 4. But overall those are monster numbers, and anybody with even a marginal grasp of the game could tell the difference between this Finals and last year's.

I do, however, agree with the notion that he didn't change from this season to next. I think that was definitely a manufactured angle that got played up way too much. As you noted Tommy, from his rookie season to now? Huge, huge difference. Like a totally different player. But this year to last? Virtually the same, and that's not a knock.
donte124
Junior

Post#6 » by donte124 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:58 pm

You need to take your hating assprin back to your own site!! Before you start some ish" Fkn loser!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Post#7 » by AmusingFiddle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Man I loved this article. Finally, there is someone on our side. Hey blazer fan GTFO troll - go blow your Brandon Roy (whom you blazer proclaim to be better than Kobe - LMFAO). Unlike you Blazer fans, we call a spade a spade.

If the road to the Finals was so easy what happened to you guys? MARK MY WORDS IF WE SEE YOU GUYS NEXT YEAR IN THE PLAYOFFS, YOUR BLAZERS WILL FALL ON THEIR KNEES BEGGING TO WAIVE THE WHITE FLAG. As Kobe has in the past, he will rip your hearts out Blazer fans (and you will cry NBA conspiracy all over again). Shall I continue.......F*ukin trolls.
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#8 » by DubaLakers » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Excuses are for?
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#9 » by miggs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:19 pm

I won't insult your beloved Blazers. They are a good team and definitely on the rise, however, reality is that WE are the Champions therefore WE are the best team in the NBA. Will Kobe lead 'em to another title next season? Who knows, but what i do know is that the Rockets hurt us more without Yao! Houston pushed us to 7 games because of their dramatic change in play which killed us because it exploited our weaknesses like no other opponent had done before. We did well against them when they had Yao in there, we swept the season series i believe. As for the C's, yes KG was injured and they did much better than i anticipated without him. I don't think the C's suck without him but the intensity he brings to their game is off the charts. Imagine the Lakers without Pau? :o

HOWEVER, we scratched our way to our 15th ring and no troll whether trollin for free or being paid (Bill) can take away the fact that Kobe did play as brilliant as any superstar trying to lead his team to a title ever has played!!! Did you see how Kobe and Fish embraced after the clock expired?!?!? Perhaps you were too busy fishing! :lol: Kobe clearly has changed as he has aged. He was some young punk tryna be a superstar and exceed his own capabilities unlike LeBron who came in like thunder while Kobe worked at it. Kobe has removed weakness by weakness and reinforced his strengths as a great player does, that's what a legend does, they set the standard for greatness in their era and Kobe has CLEARLY done that! Kobe has become a great leader and intensified their chemistry and function as unit.

Last year Kobe and the Lakers were truly not ready for the C's. Their intensity on defense was ridiculously great. Their cohesive unit pummeled us while our young, talented yet unprepared unit was not prepared to take the throne. The C's have lots of veteran experience while the Lakers looked to Kobe and Fish as veteran leaders with championship experience. The C's are a very old team, their trio has nothing on ours in terms of age and remaining prime years. We are the champions and as a unit every player on that roster has grown together and accepted each others flaws because they know regardless of individual flaws, as a unit they are UNSTOPPABLE!

Shannon Brown was asked by the media how it felt to have been able to play with both LeBron and Kobe? He said it was different because he's had more time with Kobe than with LeBron. So then they asked him what it was like playing with Kobe? He said it was great but that it was like playing with any other teammate. He said Kobe and the rest of the Lakers all hang out together. They go see movies together, go eat together and go over each others houses! That is clear evidence of their cohesion as a unit. That's not to say that hanging out outside of team events is required for good on the court chemistry. Did you know that Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen rarely hung out off the court? Where's the argument against MJ? We have great team chemistry as did the Bulls of that era, it is shown in Kobe's trust in his teammates which has allowed them to each find their niche in this team, be able to bring their strengths KNOWING another teammate will fill the gap on their weakness(es).

You and Bill Simmons are simply hating. There is no other way around it. Tryna come into our board and sound all laid-back and casual, step up and say what you really want chump, your trolling won't work here, cuz in case you haven't heard:

2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
Joe Kleazy
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#10 » by Joe Kleazy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:58 pm

"Did you speak to any of the Lakers, at any time during this season? The playoffs? The Finals? How have you come to your conclusion that they are any less excited to have claimed the ultimate prize, or less appreciative of each other as teammates? Would you be more convinced if they took 'air snapshots' of each other? Maybe if Kobe and Lamar poured Gatorade on Phil Jackson, their joy would be more convincing."

http://i40.tinypic.com/10wig4i.jpg :lol: :lol: :lol:

This was gold. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure Phil's suit was more expensive than doc's Men's Warehouse suit.

To that blazer fan poster. Blaze deez nutz biach.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#11 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm

That was the last SImmons article I will read. I would rather check out a forum if I want personal opinion from fans. SImmons has been exposed. Everyone outside of Boston can see it.

The Lakers and others will hold off Boston for the next 2 years and then Boston will rebuild and wont win a championship for at least 20 years. Simmons is gonna hate every moment of basketball for the next few decades.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#12 » by doozyj » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:43 pm

WTF is a Bill Simmons. :lol:
lakersfanatic
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by lakersfanatic » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 pm

what a troll. Jealousy is the word
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#14 » by Slava » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Wait a minute so Bill Simmons says the camaraderie amongst the Lakers is forced but the Cavaliers have a natural affection for each other? Wow I bet if you asked the vets on that team like Ben Wallace, Wally and Z they'd tell you how dumb they think those pre game rituals are and how they are forced to do that to make Lebron look like "the cool guy".

The Lakers on the other hand have been genuinely supportive of each other and Phil Jackson said it himself that this group was "ready as a team" to win compared to the ones he inherited during the 3-peat days.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
bigchee
Ballboy

Post#15 » by bigchee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:20 pm

j-far wrote:Wait a minute so Bill Simmons says the camaraderie amongst the Lakers is forced but the Cavaliers have a natural affection for each other? Wow I bet if you asked the vets on that team like Ben Wallace, Wally and Z they'd tell you how dumb they think those pre game rituals are and how they are forced to do that to make Lebron look like "the cool guy".

Come on now, fam. You're reaching with that.

You're acting no different than Simmons now. Let these guys do what they do. The bottomline is our "maybes" have nothing to do with a team winning it all.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#16 » by Slava » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 pm

I've actually never seen those 3 in any of the Cavs' pre game jokes.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#17 » by SashAlex » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Fact is that the Lakers would beat the Rockets anyway and Andrew Bynum + Trevor Ariza were so injured last year and made it easier for the Celtics to win the title ? Still, even injured, we could've kicked their buts. Kobe has changed ! A lot ! He's now a brand, he's known everywhere. The entire Europe loves him and appreciates his effort and hardworking.

He's the Finals MVP now, and that tells everyone how much he's changed !

...and, please, get out of here !
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#18 » by SashAlex » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:55 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... /sportsguy

If I'm sending a comment, will he really read it ?
Luxury
Junior
And1: 3

Post#19 » by Luxury » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:16 am

Stat-wise? WTF you talking about? Al Jefferson gets 20-10 but does that mean he makes the same impact as Tim Duncan or Pau Gasol? NO. Stats tells one side of a story which in this case is production, but it does not exemplify impact. Kobe's stats might be relatively higher this Finals compared to last year, but the timely plays he made told the story of the how we became 2009 NBA champs. Beside's D-Fish's 4.6 sec left clutch shot, Kobe made every play for the Lakers, whether it was creating or playing as decoy. We lost the games where he messed up, and we won all the others when he came thru. Simple as that.

Next, an injured T-Mac and Yao was actually a blessing in disguise for Houston because it caused terrible mismatches on the defensive end for the inconsistent Lakers. Wtf would T-mac have done better if Melo or Turkoglu were contained to a certain extent. Now for the Celtics, Lakers beat them twice this year when the CELTICS were at FULL strength. Think before you talk.

2008 - Celtics had the best team
2009 - Lakers had the best team

Everyone here hates the Celtics, but atleast we gave them credit because they earned it. Do yourself a favor and stop typing garbage because its just making you look stupid.
"Kobe Bryant.. is the greatest player in our era" -Dwyane Wade
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#20 » by Dr Aki » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:55 am

the fact this caused an uproar in the first place means the article has done its job

simmons can go back and claim plenty of readership because hes catering to a niche (depends on your definition) market of kobe haters

not because they hate his game (heck even simmons gives mini-props at the end), but because they hate kobe the person.

just dont get so riled up and get your panties in a knot. leave the hater alone

Return to Los Angeles Lakers