Turris Ends Holdout

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,612

Turris Ends Holdout 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381038

Kyle Turris's contract stand-off with the Phoenix Coyotes is over after he signed a two-year deal worth $2.8 million on Tuesday.

"Kyle is a top young player who will make us a better team," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said. "We look forward to having him in our lineup."

Turris, who was a restricted free agent, held out and refused to play this season when he and the team could not come to terms on a new deal over the summer. The 22-year-old asked the Coyotes for a trade in late October.

I'm a little suprised he signed, I really thought he was going to sit out the season. But I guess the big question now is are the Coyotes going to honour his request for a trade?

I'm sure there's a market for him and i'm guessing he could get them a pretty decent piece in return. Calgary's apparently been very interested, maybe Turris will be part of an Iginla deal?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Re: Turris Ends Holdout 

Post#2 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:41 pm

I'm not an athlete, never have been. But I really feel like I could pick him up and break him in half over my leg with ease.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#3 » by Crowned » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:00 am

He was likely signed to be traded.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#4 » by OldNo7 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:27 am

Turris should find a new agent.

First of all, he never should have been asking for more than $3M a year in the first place, even if he was looking for a ticket out of town because those contracts aren't that simple to trade these days. He has 19 goals in just under two years and has yet to prove he is anything more than a third-liner with upside.

Secondly, the holdout was stupid because Turris' camp had absolutely zero leverage.

Third, even though they likely signed to facilitate a trade, a 2-year/$2.8M deal is a pure win for Maloney and the Coyotes. And now instead of Turris looking strong-willed and determined, signing for so much less than what you wanted makes you look like you came in to the meeting with your tail already between your legs.
Twitter: @NickObergan

Return to The General NHL Board