Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,965

Re: NHL to Seattle? 

Post#21 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:50 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting interview...

And - heard a name that got my attention in the "goalie trading" discussion. Aaron Dell played for the San Jose affiliate here in Allen and was the goaltender when they won the CHL championship in 2013. Actually got to meet him at a local pub. Glad to see the guy in the bigs.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,386

Post#22 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#23 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:party: :rockon:
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Re: RE: Re: NHL to Seattle? 

Post#24 » by Scott Hall » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Not to be a downer but I don't think Seattle should be getting the next NHL team. I think Quebec is the next NHL ready market. Hockey is like a religion in Quebec and as bad as the Montreal Canadians are right now they are still selling out games. I get that Seattle is a great sports city but what happens if they fail? The city will be on the hook for a $600+ million arena and be left selling the team for pennies on the dollar.

Also are they talking about a new expansion team like The Las Vegas Golden Knights? or a relocation of say The Arizona Coyotes? Either way I think it's a risky venture that will not pay off, if anything Seattle should be getting a NBA back first

HOW DARE YOU!??

Quebec absolutely deserves a franchise. But, Seattle does as well. We've been waiting a long time. It's true the NBA should be back. However, all signs point to the NHL putting a team in Seattle first.

Seattle is a world class city but I still think Quebec needs a team first. Good thing with Seattle though is you have the islands of BC like Victoria who can go and Portland and even the greater Washington state area.

Seattle is an absolute no brainer and should have had a team back there ages ago it's an absolute slam dunk they will be
a fantastic market.

As for Quebec City....

People forget this franchise struggled selling tickets their last playoff series in 1995 against the Rangers. Only 300 people
went to the save the Nordiques rally according to MaCleans magazine. Quebec isn't a great sports market. The Expos had
some good teams and lots of great players and they always had abysmal attendance. Yeah they had some shady owners
but they couldn't afford to keep star players if fans weren't showing up to the Ball Park.

The Alouettes of the CFL were the best market in the CFL when they were winning now that they've been losing for awhile
their attendance is way down. Habs fans will not support losing of any kind and the Canadiens front office has to consistently
put out a good product on the ice or the fans won't show up.

My point is don't take it for granted that Quebec City will be an awesome market. A whole generation of kids that have
grown up there are Habs fans now. Ottawa who is nearby is having attendance issues and couldn't even sell out for Eastern
Conference Finals Home Games against Sid the Kid and the Pens. Not only does Quebec create geographical problems in the
league but putting them close to Montreal and Ottawa wouldn't be ideal.

If the Nordiques have missed the playoffs or have sucked for as long as the Panthers, Coyotes and Hurricanes have you know
those fickle French fans wouldn't sellout every game and there would be empty seats.

After Seattle I hope Houston is next and Quebec City is only used for emergency situations
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#25 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:HOW DARE YOU!??

Quebec absolutely deserves a franchise. But, Seattle does as well. We've been waiting a long time. It's true the NBA should be back. However, all signs point to the NHL putting a team in Seattle first.

Seattle is a world class city but I still think Quebec needs a team first. Good thing with Seattle though is you have the islands of BC like Victoria who can go and Portland and even the greater Washington state area.

Seattle is an absolute no brainer and should have had a team back there ages ago it's an absolute slam dunk they will be
a fantastic market.

As for Quebec City....

People forget this franchise struggled selling tickets their last playoff series in 1995 against the Rangers. Only 300 people
went to the save the Nordiques rally according to MaCleans magazine. Quebec isn't a great sports market. The Expos had
some good teams and lots of great players and they always had abysmal attendance. Yeah they had some shady owners
but they couldn't afford to keep star players if fans weren't showing up to the Ball Park.

The Alouettes of the CFL were the best market in the CFL when they were winning now that they've been losing for awhile
their attendance is way down. Habs fans will not support losing of any kind and the Canadiens front office has to consistently

My point is don't take it for granted that Quebec City will be an awesome market. A whole generation of kids that have
grown up there are Habs fans now. Ottawa who is nearby is having attendance issues and couldn't even sell out for Eastern
Conference Finals Home Games against Sid the Kid and the Pens. Not only does Quebec create geographical problems in the

If the Nordiques have missed the playoffs or have sucked for as long as the Panthers, Coyotes and Hurricanes have you know
those fickle French fans wouldn't sellout every game and there would be empty seats.

After Seattle I hope Houston is next and Quebec City is only used for emergency situations

Precisely. Anyone advocating that Quebec should have a team over Seattle, can kiss my ***. :P

The NHL has choosen. Live with it! :cheesygrin:

Quite honestly, I don't know the history of hockey in QC all that much. Haven't followed the sport long enough. But, Seattle has hockey fans that have waited an awfully long time for a team. The city is very deserving of one. :D
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:HOW DARE YOU!??

a fantastic market.

As for Quebec City....

Excellent assessment of Quebec City. A number of my Canadian buddies from Fan Nation I stay in touch with have expressed many of the same issues you shared here. As a Texan I didn't feel it my place to share them. Glad you did.

And - I do quietly hope for a Houston franchise. Rivalries are good for business. An I-45 rivalry would be sweet.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#27 » by Scott Hall » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

a fantastic market.

As for Quebec City....

Precisely. Anyone advocating that Quebec should have a team over Seattle, can kiss my ***. :P

Quite honestly, I don't know the history of hockey in QC all that much. Haven't followed the sport long enough. But, Seattle has hockey fans that have waited an awfully long time for a team. The city is very deserving of one. :D

It's kind of like the Sonics situation where Quebecers and some Canadians feel the Nords were unfairly taken away from
them and that they deserve their team back. Also it bothers a lot of Canadians when American markets have trouble
or don't support their team and feel as if the team was in Canada it would automatically be a smashing success which isn't
true.

I don't know why it's taken Seattle so long to get an NHL team back. It's always been an ideal market because the NHL needed
another West Coast city, It's close to Canada where a lot of fans will travel to see games especially when their team plays
in Seattle, it's a great sports city, it has a booming economy, lot's of corporate sponsorship opportunities, Oregon fans can
come there to get a taste and Seattle has a solid fan base already with the Junior teams.

It's the perfect time to get a team in Seattle while the Sonics are still not back yet to strike while the Iron is hot. It's
cool to see so many people in the area pumped up about a team. There's probably a few people that are like Hockey? meh

Well sometimes the regular season can get boring but man Hockey shines in the Playoffs there is nothing better in sports
then the NHL playoffs even most hockey haters would admit that. If you don't have your city or a team involved it's hard
to get excited or get into it.

I like the NFL but my city doesn't have a team so I don't have a dog in the hunt and I can't just randomly pick a team and
act like I'm a hardcore fan I'm sure if my city had a team I'd be a big time fan and learn more about Football then just basic
knowledge.

But yeah all Seattle has to do is make sure the season ticket drive is a success and the expansion team is a done deal
it'd be shocking if the season ticket drive wasn't successful though.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#28 » by Scott Hall » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

a fantastic market.

As for Quebec City....

Excellent assessment of Quebec City. A number of my Canadian buddies from Fan Nation I stay in touch with have expressed many of the same issues you shared here. As a Texan I didn't feel it my place to share them. Glad you did.

And - I do quietly hope for a Houston franchise. Rivalries are good for business. An I-45 rivalry would be sweet.

It's great to see interest from Texas where Football is life, The NBA has 3 teams and the Astros have won the World Series.
Houston is one of the biggest cities in the country and obviously Texas is one of the biggest States and if the game is
gonna grow in the States people need teams to cheer for.

You would know better then me about how the Stars are doing it seems like they're on the upswing now but still lots
of room for growth...

I do have a few concerns about Houston because I do see quite a few empty seats at Rockets and Astros games sometimes
despite them having good teams and the city has a big Hispanic and African American population and the majority of
them are probably not hockey fans or familiar with hockey but if they have a team in town they'd probably get caught up
in the buzz.

The NHL shouldn't be treated like a distant 4th sport in the States I know ESPN and Fox like to ignore it on purpose
and hold it back but the sport needs to grow and more teams in Canada isn't the answer especially if the NHL ever wants
a big TV contract like the NBA....

The fact that the Senators owner laid down the gauntlet this weekend to Sens fans could be a good sign to Houston
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#29 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
a fantastic market.

As for Quebec City....

It's kind of like the Sonics situation where Quebecers and some Canadians feel the Nords were unfairly taken away from
them and that they deserve their team back. Also it bothers a lot of Canadians when American markets have trouble
or don't support their team and feel as if the team was in Canada it would automatically be a smashing success which isn't
true.

I don't know why it's taken Seattle so long to get an NHL team back. It's always been an ideal market because the NHL needed
another West Coast city, It's close to Canada where a lot of fans will travel to see games especially when their team plays
in Seattle, it's a great sports city, it has a booming economy, lot's of corporate sponsorship opportunities, Oregon fans can
come there to get a taste and Seattle has a solid fan base already with the Junior teams.

It's the perfect time to get a team in Seattle while the Sonics are still not back yet to strike while the Iron is hot. It's
cool to see so many people in the area pumped up about a team. There's probably a few people that are like Hockey? meh

Well sometimes the regular season can get boring but man Hockey shines in the Playoffs there is nothing better in sports
then the NHL playoffs even most hockey haters would admit that. If you don't have your city or a team involved it's hard
to get excited or get into it.

I like the NFL but my city doesn't have a team so I don't have a dog in the hunt and I can't just randomly pick a team and
act like I'm a hardcore fan I'm sure if my city had a team I'd be a big time fan and learn more about Football then just basic
knowledge.

But yeah all Seattle has to do is make sure the season ticket drive is a success and the expansion team is a done deal
it'd be shocking if the season ticket drive wasn't successful though.

The reason it took so long to get the NHL is because there hasn't been an arena for it. During the 90's, the previous Sonics owner blocked the NHL from coming. Much like Houston's previous owner, he didnt want to share an arena with a hockey team. So, hockey wasn't an option. Key Arena was renovated in those days for basketball only.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#30 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
a fantastic market.

As for Quebec City....

It's great to see interest from Texas where Football is life, The NBA has 3 teams and the Astros have won the World Series.
Houston is one of the biggest cities in the country and obviously Texas is one of the biggest States and if the game is

You would know better then me about how the Stars are doing it seems like they're on the upswing now but still lots
of room for growth...

I do have a few concerns about Houston because I do see quite a few empty seats at Rockets and Astros games sometimes
despite them having good teams and the city has a big Hispanic and African American population and the majority of
them are probably not hockey fans or familiar with hockey but if they have a team in town they'd probably get caught up
in the buzz.

The NHL shouldn't be treated like a distant 4th sport in the States I know ESPN and Fox like to ignore it on purpose
and hold it back but the sport needs to grow and more teams in Canada isn't the answer especially if the NHL ever wants

The fact that the Senators owner laid down the gauntlet this weekend to Sens fans could be a good sign to Houston

Sorry Otis, but Seattle is a way better market for hockey than Houston. :wink:

The NHL needs to market the sport & their stars better in the states. Not having a partnership with ESPN hasn't helped either.

Football will always be the most popular sport in the US. But, Hockey should be on par with Basketball & baseball in this country.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Scott Hall wrote:

of room for growth...

in the buzz.

Hockey is still behind the Mavs and Rangers but we fans are die hard and there are plenty of us. And the game is still growing. After the Stars won the cup in 1999 (sorry to any Sabers fans reading this... but Gretzky said it was a good goal so...) there were 26 sheets of ice locally and they were all in regular use. I'll openly admit that attendance at Stars games took a hit when Hicks filed bankruptcy and left Joe Nieuwendyk selling or trading off our best players because of it. Tom Gaglardi and Jim Lites have worked their tails off getting this thing back to respectable again and most of us have hope that Jim Nill will get the team back there. Meanwhile, the Texas Stars do well in the Austin area (got tickets for a game Saturday night after we get to my in-laws that afternoon) and the San Jose affiliate in Allen gets my money for 3-4 games a year. My grandsons both dig the game and we've taken their buddies to Allen for games... and they dig it too. It will probably be the #4 sport here as long as I'm still kicking but it's my #2 and everyone around me knows it.

Although... if Darts ever became as popular as tennis or golf, I might have to slide hockey down to #3. I'm still hunting that elusive 9 darter.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Sorry Otis, but Seattle is a way better market for hockey than Houston. :wink:

The NHL needs to market the sport & their stars better in the states. Not having a partnership with ESPN hasn't helped either.

Football will always be the most popular sport in the US. But, Hockey should be on par with Basketball & baseball in this country.

You should want an expansion team then. Look at how it worked out for Vegas. :D
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#33 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Sorry Otis, but Seattle is a way better market for hockey than Houston. :wink:

You should want an expansion team then. Look at how it worked out for Vegas. :D

Oh I'm very excited that Seattle is finally getting a team. Even though the location (Key Arena) isn't ideal by any means. It will likely mean having to sit in traffic for an extra hour just to get to the arena. But, that's what we've been given. So why fight it, right!? I just hope it doesnt keep fans from attending. The team will need to be somewhat successfull or it could be a real concern.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#34 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Possible NHL Team names!

Seattle Cougars
Seattle Eagles
Seattle Emeralds
Seattle Evergreens
Seattle Firebirds
Seattle Kraken
Seattle Rainiers
Seattle Renegades
Seattle Sea Lions
Seattle Seals
Seattle Sockeyes
Seattle Totems
Seattle Whales

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2018/1/19/16910000/ovg-nhl-name-domain-registration

Release the Kraken!!!!!!! :nod:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 am

RonMexico915
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#36 » by RonMexico915 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 am

So what is the NHL going to do with its divisions? Move the Coyotes to the Central? Most of the season, Phoenix would be in the Mountain Time Zone like Colorado, but would be in the Pacific for some of it.
RonMexico915
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#37 » by RonMexico915 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:47 am

I don't see Quebec getting an expansion team, ever. They will have to find a relocation from another Canadian city. The NHLs US TV contract will not go up with Quebec, but definitely will with Seattle. That's why they don't want to lose the Coyotes.

It's all about markets. Seattle is a new, big market, and those Quebecers are already watching anyway.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 pm

RonMexico915 wrote:So what is the NHL going to do with its divisions? Move the Coyotes to the Central? Most of the season, Phoenix would be in the Mountain Time Zone like Colorado, but would be in the Pacific for some of it.

That would seem like the most natural fit. A Coyotes/Avs rivalry could possible bump the attendance in Phoenix.

In 2000, I was in Phoenix for a meeting and we were given the option of going to a DBacks game or a AVs/Yotes Stanley Cup playoff game. Well - that wasn't a hard choice for me. I (the only one from the meeting FWIW) showed up at the America West arena in my Stars jersey with my Stars 1999 Stanley Cup cap on. One Coyotes fan looked at me and muttered "Oh s***!". I played it neutral... and after Phoenix won 3-2 I mentioned to a few fans they should hope I show up more.

Good times.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#39 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:05 pm

RonMexico915 wrote:So what is the NHL going to do with its divisions? Move the Coyotes to the Central? Most of the season, Phoenix would be in the Mountain Time Zone like Colorado, but would be in the Pacific for some of it.

The Coyotes likely are moved to Houston at some point anyway. Which I hope doesnt happen because Arizona is like a 2nd home for me.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#40 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:24 pm

RonMexico915 wrote:It's all about markets. Seattle is a new, big market, and those Quebecers are already watching anyway.

Seattle/NorthWest really is the last untapped market in the States. I never was a fan of hockey growing up precisely because Seattle never had an NHL team. Like alot of others, I just didnt give a **** about the sport because of it. That's all gonna change now. Without an NBA team & no other Winter sport in town, hockey I feel is going to blow up. It's gonna be huge.

Return to The General NHL Board