Preds Extend Rinne, 7 Years 49 Million

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,612

Preds Extend Rinne, 7 Years 49 Million 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Nov 3, 2011 6:29 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=379546

The team signed Pekka Rinne to a seven-year contract extension worth $49 million. Rinne had been playing in the final year of his current deal.

"Today's signing is further evidence of our ownership's commitment to keeping our core intact," said Nashville president and general manager David Poile in a statement. "This is the first step of a process designed to retain our key players and leaders. Pekka has grown with our franchise, just recently established our franchise record for career shutouts and is now recognized as one of the game's elite players. We're thrilled to know that he will be backstopping our franchise for several years to come."

Since earning the starter's role in the 2008-09 season, the 29-year-old has no less than 29 wins in each campaign.

This deal makes Rinne the highest paid goalie in the league. He is one of the best in the league so its hard to argue against him being the top paid goalie in the league.

The only problem with this deal is that now the Preds are probably going to have to let one of Suter or Webber walk at the end of the year.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Preds Extend Rinne, 7 Years 49 Million 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 6:37 pm

He's right in his prime and real good...smart to lock him up. They were always going to have trouble keeping all three anywho, so I'm guessing Suter is the odd man out
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Thu Nov 3, 2011 6:58 pm

ajaX82 wrote:He's right in his prime and real good...smart to lock him up. They were always going to have trouble keeping all three anywho, so I'm guessing Suter is the odd man out

That was my thinking as well. But from what i've been hearing and reading it seems like they're more concerned with locking up Suter than Webber which is shocking.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,458

Post#4 » by trwi7 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 7:01 pm

Nolan wrote:The only problem with this deal is that now the Preds are probably going to have to let one of Suter or Webber walk at the end of the year.

Doubt it. They're not even at $31 million next year even with Rinne signed. The only UFA's they have are Tootoo, McGrattan, Suter and Bouillon. RFA's are Kostitsyn, Wilson, Geoffrion, Bergfors, Weber, Blum, Laakso, Hillen and Lindback.

McGrattan will be gone, Bouillon likely will be too. I'm sure they'll keep Kostitsyn, Wilson, Weber and Blum unless the offers are so outrageous that they'll just let them go for picks. Laakso is a 6th or 7th defensmen, Hillen is 3rd pairing, Bergfors barely gets any playing time if he evens dresses at all.

Lindback is good but how often does he play with Rinne? Jeremy Smith has been awesome since midway through last year when he took over the starting job in Milwaukee after Mark Dekenich got hurt and has continued his awesomeness this year. That saves some money on backup goalie if they need it.

They have a ton of near NHL ready replacements in Milwaukee if they need money. Bourque, Thang, Puustinen, Latta and Beck at the forward, Ellis and Josi for a 3rd pair defensemen (I expect the first two lines to be back next year) along with Ekholm and Aronson and then Smith or Engren at backup goalie if they decide to let Lindback go.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#5 » by trwi7 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 7:03 pm

Nolan wrote:
ajaX82 wrote:He's right in his prime and real good...smart to lock him up. They were always going to have trouble keeping all three anywho, so I'm guessing Suter is the odd man out

That was my thinking as well. But from what i've been hearing and reading it seems like they're more concerned with locking up Suter than Webber which is shocking.

They're more concerned with locking up Suter because he's a UFA after the season while Weber is an RFA.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#6 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Nov 3, 2011 7:20 pm

Sooner or later, the Predators may have to throw some money at a guy who can score goals, right?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 7:28 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:Sooner or later, the Predators may have to throw some money at a guy who can score goals, right?

Who needs goals when you have the wall?

Amirite?

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 8:42 pm

trwi7 wrote:
Nolan wrote:

They're more concerned with locking up Suter because he's a UFA after the season while Weber is an RFA.

ah, good point. i forgot that. I assume somebody else signing Weber would bring a bounty of compensatory picks, yeah?
trwi7
RealGM

Post#9 » by trwi7 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 8:53 pm

I would imagine with the price he would sign for he would bring 4 1sts.

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 9:58 pm

trwi7 wrote:I would imagine with the price he would sign for he would bring 4 1sts.

jeeeeez...that would be a steep price, even for Weber
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nolan » Thu Nov 3, 2011 10:02 pm

trwi7 wrote:They're more concerned with locking up Suter because he's a UFA after the season while Weber is an RFA.

Ahh, I missed that. Now it all makes sense.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#12 » by OldNo7 » Fri Nov 4, 2011 3:07 am

Interesting to note that after next year, before Rinne, they only had $9M in committed contracts. So they could theoretically afford to keep all 3 while filling out the rest of the roster with younger, or cheaper players.
Twitter: @NickObergan
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by OldNo7 » Fri Nov 4, 2011 3:08 am

Oh and I believe highest compensation picks for an RFA is 3 first round picks above $6.5M per year or something like that.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#14 » by trwi7 » Fri Nov 4, 2011 3:12 am

The criteria for RFA draft pick compensation in 2011-12 is as follows:
•$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation
•$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick
•$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick
•$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick
•$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick
•$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third
•$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by OldNo7 » Fri Nov 4, 2011 3:14 am

Thanks for that. I still think his avg annual salary, whenever it comes to a big deal, will be closer to $7.5M.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#16 » by trwi7 » Fri Nov 4, 2011 3:16 am

Which is fine, since the Preds will easily match that.

Return to The General NHL Board