The Trade Deadline Thread

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

The Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Feb 2, 2012 5:29 pm

I know the deadlines still a couple weeks away but its shaping up to a interesting one. With the playoff race in the west being so tight and with so many quality players available I thought we might as well get a head start on this.

Potential Buyers?

Like I said earlier the playoff race in the west is shaping up to be a exciting one and I think we'll see teams like Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Nashville, Colorado, Calgary and Minnesota all buying at the deadline. Meanwhile in the east teams like Toronto, Winnipeg and Washington could all be buying as well.

Who's selling and who's available?

Obviously teams like Columbus, Edmonton, Carolina, Buffalo and Anaheim are going to be selling. And I can easily see players like Jeff Carter, R.J. Umberger, Antoine Vermette, Derick Brassard, Steve Mason Ales Hemsky, Tom Gilbert, Ray Whitney, Marek Zidlicky, Jason Blake, and Toni Lydman all being shopped aggressively.

So who do you thinks going where?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: The Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 6:40 pm

Detroit has the cap space and prospects to be big buyers if need be, especially for a bigger name. I would love to pry something from Columbus, though trading in-division may be a tough sell. Jeff Carter is on the block for cheap though, and I'd love to pick him up

I dunno why NJ thinks they should hold on to Parise and then let him walk. They can trade his negotiating rights in the off-season i believe, but is that really worth a bunch? Again, another Red Wings target i would kill for
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Thu Feb 2, 2012 6:49 pm

Parise's a guy that definitely should be on the move because the Devils pretty much can't afford to move him but I have a feeling they're going to hang onto him.

Its really going to be interesting to see what Nashville's going to do as well. Suter's not going to sign an extension until the offseason because he wants to see if the team is willing to spend to become a serious contender. So i'm guessing they're going to be aggressively pursuing a top 6 forward and possibly going after Marek Zidlicky a former Predator who's currently in the dog house in Minny.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,194

Post#4 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Feb 2, 2012 10:31 pm

I think Ryan Sutter is a guy who could be on the way out of Nashville. They look like they might not be able to give him what he wants and right now I am sure you could get very good value for him in a trade.

I would look for him if you need a solid d-man
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#5 » by OldNo7 » Fri Feb 3, 2012 11:38 am

I think Nashville finds a way to add a forward or two, and they won't deal Suter (or Weber). I have submitted an article with some available players and potential landing spots so I won't give anything away ;)
Twitter: @NickObergan
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Feb 3, 2012 8:12 pm

Great read again Nick as always! Can't see The Leafs moving Schenn for cheap they love the kid like he's their captain or the next big thing. I would take a lot to get him out of Toronto.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by OldNo7 » Sat Feb 4, 2012 1:06 am

I'm a big Schenn fan myself, but I don't think he is untouchable. But for Burke to move him, it would have to be for a sure star, like maybe a Ryan or Getzlaf.

Thanks for the compliment though :)
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by OldNo7 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 11:32 am

It's become abundantly clear(er) that the Wings need to trade for Nabokov, or at least Niittymaki.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ajaX82 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:14 pm

OldNo7 wrote:It's become abundantly clear(er) that the Wings need to trade for Nabokov, or at least Niittymaki.

You mean Ty effing Conklin and Joey MacDonald can't handle the backup role? :lol:

A good backup would be really nice
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Feb 7, 2012 8:28 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
OldNo7 wrote:It's become abundantly clear(er) that the Wings need to trade for Nabokov, or at least Niittymaki.

You mean Ty effing Conklin and Joey MacDonald can't handle the backup role? :lol:

A good backup would be really nice

Both are scrubs beyond belief. Conklin is terrible what is he 1-10? Seriously how does this guy have a job?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nolan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:53 pm

So Nash is available now. Things should get interesting over the next week.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by OldNo7 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 pm

I've been dying to play armchair GM for awhile now, so thanks to the Nash news I submitted 10 trades to be posted hopefully soon. Are they likely? Probably not, but it was fun haha.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ajaX82 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 pm

OldNo7 wrote:I've been dying to play armchair GM for awhile now, so thanks to the Nash news I submitted 10 trades to be posted hopefully soon. Are they likely? Probably not, but it was fun haha.

I can imagine. I'm swirling all the Red Wings trades in my head at the moment, praying we can somehow snag him
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by OldNo7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:02 am

ajaX82 wrote:
OldNo7 wrote:I've been dying to play armchair GM for awhile now, so thanks to the Nash news I submitted 10 trades to be posted hopefully soon. Are they likely? Probably not, but it was fun haha.

I can imagine. I'm swirling all the Red Wings trades in my head at the moment, praying we can somehow snag him

Better chance at Parise/Suter in the offseason. There is zero chance Nash lands in the Central division, regardless of how strong the offers are.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ajaX82 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 am

OldNo7 wrote:
ajaX82 wrote:

Better chance at Parise/Suter in the offseason. There is zero chance Nash lands in the Central division, regardless of how strong the offers are.

I know it, but dreams are fun
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by OldNo7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:52 am

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Nolan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 am

OldNo7 wrote:http://hockey.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/11009/20120214/top_10_rick_nash_trade_ideas/

I like the Winnipeg idea. Nash could easily push them over the top and make them a legit playoff team.

I think Nashville would be a perfect fit if they weren't in the same division as Columbus. Something like Wilson, Josi and Lindback would probably get it done.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by OldNo7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:50 am

Nashville would never happen, but with their lack of defense, I would imagine Ellis would have to be a must.

With a better team Nash is still a 40-40-80 threat to me. Remember how much he stands out among the stars when he plays on Team Canada, always dominates internationally among the best in the game.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Nolan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:51 am

OldNo7 wrote:Nashville would never happen, but with their lack of defense, I would imagine Ellis would have to be a must.

With a better team Nash is still a 40-40-80 threat to me. Remember how much he stands out among the stars when he plays on Team Canada, always dominates internationally among the best in the game.

Playing with some decent linemates he could be a 40-40 guy.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#20 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:10 am

OldNo7 wrote:http://hockey.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/11009/20120214/top_10_rick_nash_trade_ideas/

Good article. I liked it.

I love Rick Nash and Horton is declining due to concussion issues. I'd hate to trade dougie though.

Return to The General NHL Board