Bergevin hired as new Canadiens GM

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Bergevin hired as new Canadiens GM 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Wed May 2, 2012 4:31 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394829

The Montreal Canadiens will hold a news conference at 2pm et/11am pt to introduce Marc Bergevin as their new general manager.

Bergevin, who edged out former NHL on TSN analyst Pierre McGuire for the job, most worked last season as the assistant general manager of the Chicago Blackhawks under Stan Bowman - his seventh with the franchise.

The 46-year-old Montreal native will replace Pierre Gauthier, who was fired in late March.

After his retirement as a player in 2004, Bergevin became a pro scout with the Blackhawks before serving as an assistant coach with Joel Quenneville. He was director of player personnel when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2010 and was promoted to assistant general manager last June.

He's had some experience and he's worked in one of the best front offices in the league. But i'm not sure this is the right hire for the Canadiens, I hate how the team refuses to hire anyone who's not bilingual/french canadian.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Re: Bergevin hired as new Canadiens GM 

Post#2 » by sh00n » Thu May 3, 2012 2:59 am

It's not that they refuse; it's that the media and francophones throw tantrums if they don't. I don't mind it being Bergevin because bilingual or not, he was arguably the best available GM prospect out there.

I wanted Pierre McGuire, but I'm happy with this hiring.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#3 » by Crowned » Thu May 3, 2012 3:53 am

Not a bad hire at all. They certainly could've done worse. I love how he's shaken things up already with Cunneyworth.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#4 » by OldNo7 » Fri May 4, 2012 3:31 am

They could have hired worse (see: McGuire, Pierre. Though I would love for him to be off of TV). It seems as much about hiring someone with the opposite personality of Gauthier (as in, likeable instead of an arrogant prick) as anything else.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Nolan » Fri May 4, 2012 11:14 pm

OldNo7 wrote:They could have hired worse (see: McGuire, Pierre. Though I would love for him to be off of TV). It seems as much about hiring someone with the opposite personality of Gauthier (as in, likeable instead of an arrogant prick) as anything else.

I was pulling for him for that exact reason.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
sh00n
RealGM

Post#6 » by sh00n » Mon May 7, 2012 6:40 am

Looks like Bergevin is already making waves; plucked Dudley from the Leafs and supposedly will talk to the Blackhawks about Joel Quenneville too.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by OldNo7 » Mon May 7, 2012 10:33 am

sh00n wrote:Looks like Bergevin is already making waves; plucked Dudley from the Leafs and supposedly will talk to the Blackhawks about Joel Quenneville too.

Q doesnt strike me as a frenchman?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Mon May 7, 2012 4:21 pm

Apparently Quenneville speaks a bit of french, but I have no idea why he would be interested in that job.

And the Canadiens are also apparently interested in Marc Crawford. He would make a lot fo sense for them, veteran coach who's dealt with the Quebec media and a guy who's won a cup before.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by OldNo7 » Tue May 8, 2012 2:39 am

Michel Terrien anyone? Crawford makes too much sense though. Does Bob Hartley speak french?
sh00n
RealGM

Post#10 » by sh00n » Wed May 9, 2012 3:18 am

OldNo7 wrote:Michel Terrien anyone? Crawford makes too much sense though. Does Bob Hartley speak french?

Been there, done that. Crawford is meh, and Hartley is awful and he does speak french.

I don't want a former coach back or someone hired only because they speak french. Only 2 of the players in the locker room speak french so I could care less if the coach can speak it. I have a feeling it'll be Patrick Roy. I really wish the Habs would just bring in Jacques Lemaire or Larry Robinson. As for a younger candidate, a few reporters on Twitter said Guy Boucher may get the boot in Tampa. If that isn't an automatic hire by the Habs, I wouldn't know what to think.

Return to The General NHL Board