2012 NHL Draft

bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Re: 2012 NHL Draft 

Post#21 » by bryant08 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:41 pm

On paper, the Habs had the best draft in the NHL imo. Collberg/Thrower were very solid additions in the second. Buffalo and Washington had very solid drafts as well, with Buffalo stocking up down the middle with Grigorenko/Girgensons and Washington scooping Forsberg/Tom Wilson.

In terms of the Leafs, I'm pretty happy with our haul. Originally I wasn't too enthused about Rielly (mainly because I've barely seen him), but based on really reading up on him these last two days, I'm content with the pick. Matt Finn was projected to go in the first pretty much anywhere you look and establishing defensive depth is never a bad idea. Besides that I haven't heard of any of our other picks besides Ryan Rupert (half of the London twins, Ryan and Matt). Would be surprised if he ends up making the league, but he's a 5'9 pest that's a great forechecker. Plays with a lot of heart, if anything maybe he'll end up on the fourth line one day.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Post#22 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 pm

The New York Islanders offered the Columbus Blue Jackets all 7 of their draft picks to move up 2 spots so they could select D Ryan Murray. http://thesco.re/MvsjAG

Wow are The Islanders this stupid. Seriously where do they get their GM's from? I mean what do they do just throw a dart at a board and go "oh this is our guy!"
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#23 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:56 pm

^
I couldn't stop laughing for like 5 minutes after I read that. How stupid is Garth Snow?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#24 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Nolan wrote:^
I couldn't stop laughing for like 5 minutes after I read that. How stupid is Garth Snow?

And how stupid is Scott Howson for saying no?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:20 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:
Nolan wrote:^

And how stupid is Scott Howson for saying no?

Fairly, but not on the level of Snow. Murray was the guy Howson wanted, he made that pretty clear.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#26 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 pm

When you're so void of talent like the Jackets, you can have 13 draft picks to fill back up? And only drop two spots in the first round? Holy crap, you do that in a heartbeat.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Post#27 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:11 pm

My gut feeling is that Murray has known he's a Blue Jacket for months and that CBJ had come too far in terms of commitment to him to accept that deal and like hadn't scouted the other D men. It's a defendable deal for a team like the Blue Jackets that has had a hard time with player relationships to drop their Murray plan for a guy they'd probably hardly talked to like a Reinhart. Snow OTOH has no excuse
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Nolan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:31 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:When you're so void of talent like the Jackets, you can have 13 draft picks to fill back up? And only drop two spots in the first round? Holy crap, you do that in a heartbeat.

13 picks in a very weak draft, the difference between Murray and Reinhart is pretty big. Plus you have to consider that they're probably going to get a pretty good package for Nash and the fact that they've got a ton of picks in next years draft.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#29 » by bryant08 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 am

Howson fired a bunch of their scouts after the draft. May be a stretch but perhaps he didn't trust the judgement of his scouts enough to believe they'd make effective use of the picks. Should've taken the deal though, no doubt about it. No idea why Snow was offering that deal.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#30 » by Crowned » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:55 am

Nolan wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:When you're so void of talent like the Jackets, you can have 13 draft picks to fill back up? And only drop two spots in the first round? Holy crap, you do that in a heartbeat.

13 picks in a very weak draft, the difference between Murray and Reinhart is pretty big. Plus you have to consider that they're probably going to get a pretty good package for Nash and the fact that they've got a ton of picks in next years draft.

Ehhhh, I don't know about that. When it's all said and done, Reinhart may be the best defenseman in the draft class. He's been vastly underrated.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Nolan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:29 pm

^
I've seen him play a lot. He's got a ton potential, but he's still a long way away from being a finished product. Whereas Murray is NHL ready right now and still has room to improve.

Return to The General NHL Board