Trying to get into hockey/NHL

DV1990
Senior
And1: 80

Trying to get into hockey/NHL 

Post#1 » by DV1990 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:12 am

So I'm trying to get into hockey because I like watching it, more so nowadays. I don't really know the rules perfectly well ("icing", positions, tactics) or players/teams' names and stats. Anyone have any advice?
Jan_Sobieski wrote:I would KOBE HIM ALL DAY> LET ME PUT MY HANDS ON HIS DONG.

LBJ 2012 FMVP/MVP Congrats!!
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Re: Trying to get into hockey/NHL 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Stats are easy to find. Yahoo, NHL.com, even ESPN.

Positions are pretty easy too. Left wing, center, right wing, two defensemen and a goalie. Obvious what a goalie does, obvious what the defensemen do and the wingers and center are the offensive players. Centers usually more like distributors think the point guards of hockey. Wingers are usually shooters.

Icing is when a player shoots a puck from behind center ice behind the opponents net and the puck is touched first by the opposing team. Icing can be waved off if the puck is touched by an opponent, if the puck is shot near an opponent and they make no effort to retrieve the puck in the hopes of getting an icing call or if the puck slows down enough where reasonable effort would get allow a player to get to the puck before it crosses the red line by the opponents net. You can also not get called for icing if you're shorthanded.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask. We're quite the friendly bunch here.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Post#3 » by TheRealistGM » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:47 pm

http://adhilde.hubpages.com/hub/Basic-R ... sual-Guide

This site gives you some info about the basic rules. Like icing, offsides, and penalties.
DV1990
Senior
And1: 80

Post#4 » by DV1990 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 10:49 am

Ah thank you very much (sorry for the delay in reply--don't get on much nowadays), these seem like really good help! I'll definitely check out the link--going to my first NHL game in April, Rangers vs Islanders!
Jan_Sobieski wrote:I would KOBE HIM ALL DAY> LET ME PUT MY HANDS ON HIS DONG.

LBJ 2012 FMVP/MVP Congrats!!
Tyrone Luton
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Tyrone Luton » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:24 am

TheRealistGM wrote:http://adhilde.hubpages.com/hub/Basic-Rules-NHL-Hockey-Visual-Guide

This site gives you some info about the basic rules. Like icing, offsides, and penalties.

thanks for sharing
too complicated to understand....
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#6 » by TNBT » Sun May 26, 2013 6:36 am

If you need a favorite team to follow, I suggest the Chicago Blackhawks. We could always use another Hawks fan over there! If you want to know anything else about the game, just ask (as has been said). When I first got into hockey about 10 years ago, the guys on here helped me understand everything about the game.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:27 pm

TNBT wrote:If you need a favorite team to follow, I suggest the Chicago Blackhawks.

I suggest you STFU.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#8 » by TNBT » Mon May 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I suggest you bite me. Don't make me go all dictator on you and report you.

Joking of course, lol.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#9 » by Higga » Thu May 30, 2013 2:53 pm

I would say root for the Capitals but that would be cruel and unusual punishment come playoff time and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. But you do get to watch arguably the best player in the world put up big #s in the regular season!
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Post#10 » by TheRealistGM » Fri May 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Higga wrote:I would say root for the Capitals but that would be cruel and unusual punishment come playoff time and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. But you do get to watch arguably the best player in the world put up big #s in the regular season!

I love OV but I dont think theres any argument about best player in the world anymore
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#11 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:02 pm

Be a Predators fan if you want to be bored to death. Be a Wild fan if you want to see talent wasted with "grit."
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
GeneFraizer
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#12 » by GeneFraizer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 pm

this is what i needed i am also getting in hockey, but i am following the kings
Strange Clouds
Banned User
And1: 222

Post#13 » by Strange Clouds » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:58 am

Good thread idea, as I too am trying to get into hockey. Infact, I'm sure a lot of non NHL fans are trying to as well. It's a very exciting sport. Every time I'd turn to CSN to check if the 76ers game would be there and the Flyers would be on, I always find myself watching it and forgetting about the Sixers game lol.

Return to The General NHL Board