Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,747

Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement 

Post#1 » by Rich Rane » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Wow, I guess he wants to play in Russia badly. At 30, he had $77 million/12 years left on his contract.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... retirement
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 pm

ummmm....77 million on the table so you can go back to Russia? Dang
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#3 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 pm

LOLWUT?

The Devils have to be the happiest sons of bitches on the planet today
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#4 » by UN-Owen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Will Kovalchuk end up in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

417 goals and 816 points in 816 games

He's 18th all-time in goals-per-game, but you have to figure in the lack of decline towards the end of his career

Remember, it's the HOCKEY Hall of Fame, not the NHL Hall of Fame, so you have to factor in his international play as well as what he accomplishes in the KHL
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,367

Post#5 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:56 pm

I think I read he was making $15 million per year in the KHL during the lockout. Easy to see why he would walk away from his contract here.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#6 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 am

ajaX82 wrote:ummmm....77 million on the table so you can go back to Russia? Dang

He'll get paid in the KHL, possibly more than he was making in the NHL the only question is how long will the money last?

Shocking move though.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Sounds like he'll be getting between 15-20 million per season in the KHL and all of it tax free...
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Post#8 » by TheRealistGM » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:36 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:LOLWUT?

Not really, they gave up so many assets to get him/keep him. Plus he announced this after free agency, when all the top/middle end free agents were already locked up.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#9 » by Ado05 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:09 pm

The Devils will look back on this and thank him for retiring. That contract was awful, and it was going to get worse. Plus, their ownership was already broke, so saving 77 mill is pretty damn good.

Except now they suck, and they will have to forfeit their 1st round pick next year, for signing Kovalchuk.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#10 » by trwi7 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:16 pm

TheRealistGM wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:LOLWUT?

Not really, they gave up so many assets to get him/keep him. Plus he announced this after free agency, when all the top/middle end free agents were already locked up.

Uhh, they gave up almost nothing to get him. The best player the Thrashers/Jets got was Johnny Oduya. Nic Bergfors and Patrice Cormier are nothing. They also gave up a 1st round pick but Jon Merrill (the 2nd rounder the Devils picked up from ATL) looks better than the 1st rounder (Kevin Hayes) that they gave to ATL.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nolan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:32 am

trwi7 wrote:Uhh, they gave up almost nothing to get him. The best player the Thrashers/Jets got was Johnny Oduya. Nic Bergfors and Patrice Cormier are nothing. They also gave up a 1st round pick but Jon Merrill (the 2nd rounder the Devils picked up from ATL) looks better than the 1st rounder (Kevin Hayes) that they gave to ATL.

You also have to consider the fine they paid and the first they're giving up next year for the first contract they tried to get away with. And then there's Parise as well, because of Kovalchuk's contract they lost him...
trwi7
RealGM

Post#12 » by trwi7 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:35 am

I'm talking about what they gave up to get him, which was pretty much nothing. I think Parise was gone to Minnesota with or without Kovalchuk so I certainly wouldn't include him in that.

Return to The General NHL Board