Playoffs untelevised in some US parts

moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Playoffs untelevised in some US parts 

Post#1 » by moose man » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:58 pm

Just saw this on the Hockeybuzz website, courtesy of Eklund
Just yesterday, The Charter Cable Company announced they are planning on dropping the Versus Cable Network prior to the start of the NHL playoffs. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

This means that several thousands of hockeyfans in the US will be shutout from being able to view the best tournament iin all sports. The Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Full Article
Petition

I don't see how they could possibly just drop the entire network just prior to the playoffs. It makes no sense. The Versus Cable Network had exclusive coverage of most of the playoffs.
Sad to see that a game with already minimal exposure is only getting smaller due to a network being cut.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#2 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:27 pm

thats bad and unfair. To think people would rather watch untalented drivers go around in circles instead of hockey.

You can probably still go to a bar or something though.
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by moose man » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:41 pm

I guess this just goes to prove how low hockey has sunk in the United States. Could you imagine the reaction if Tsn dropped hockey to show Curling. It would be all over te news channels. The sad part is that there wont be that major of a reaction from most south of the border.
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#4 » by Storm Surge » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:46 pm

I thought comcast owned versus, so they basically got the contract for nothing?
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by moose man » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:52 pm

I guess so, they basically just got the regular season in and gave up on it.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#6 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:12 pm

OF COURSE I have Charter
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#7 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:16 pm

If any of you have Versus and want the playoffs I suggest you sign that petition and send that email to the network

I'll get the link in a few
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by moose man » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:24 pm

The link is up there in the first post

Edit - the link is no longer working
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 781

Post#9 » by SSUBluesman » Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:01 am

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:thats bad and unfair. To think people would rather watch untalented drivers go around in circles instead of hockey.

You can probably still go to a bar or something though.

I live in MN (the supposed "State of Hockey") and you're more likely to be stuck watching untalented drivers go around in a circle than hockey. You might be able to catch Wild playoff games, but I'd be shocked if (even at a sports bar) they'd carry playoff games for other teams.

This isn't terribly shocking though, as evidently Charter has been doing this a lot with other channels.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:09 pm

Oh **** are you serious? Really? This has to be a cruel joke.

You're telling me that 1 of the 4 major N. American sports is not going to have televised playoff. What about Stanley Cup Finals?!!?!?!?!?!

:banghead:
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#11 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:56 pm

ajaX82 wrote:Oh **** are you serious? Really? This has to be a cruel joke.

You're telling me that 1 of the 4 major N. American sports is not going to have televised playoff. What about Stanley Cup Finals?!!?!?!?!?!

:banghead:

NBC will have the Finals I am pretty sure about that, I know down south it's like Nascar first, 2nd 3rd and 4th then Football and Hockey is like the last thing they show.

Thank God for Canadian TV, alot of American people might have to stream it online though. Like Adam (MAS) suggested I would write a petition to your local networks might help.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#12 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:01 pm

Yahoo Sports shows games live online occasionally and they had some playoff games last season. It's free. And yes, I do believe NBC has the majority of the Finals games
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by moose man » Wed Apr 4, 2007 5:49 pm

If you click on the link it says that Versus had exclusive rights to the first and second games of the Stanley Cup Finals. When my hockey team was in the US for a tournament back when Calgary went to the finals we couldn't find any where to watch the game. They were playing Detroit and we were just outside of there. We asked the one restaraunt to change the channel and they said they couldn't do it because Golf was on.
peteXmaravich
Veteran

Post#14 » by peteXmaravich » Sun Apr 8, 2007 12:34 am

so where did the Center Ice Forums move to?
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#15 » by hsb » Sun Apr 8, 2007 1:50 am

does it really matter - wouldn't the teams respected cities play the games?

for example, fox sports detroit plays detroit games and so on...?
just like what I ses on center ice (league pass)
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#16 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Apr 8, 2007 2:14 am

hsb wrote:does it really matter - wouldn't the teams respected cities play the games?

I live in Milwaukee, how will I be able to see games?
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#17 » by hsb » Sun Apr 8, 2007 6:00 am

lol no idea willeatfire, there should be a link somewhere on the internet to most games

p2p programs are good too, o well, atleast you won't miss the finals
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#18 » by ajaX82 » Sun Apr 8, 2007 7:03 am

hsb wrote:does it really matter - wouldn't the teams respected cities play the games?

True i can see my teams games, but i would like to watch other series as well. and if the local team gets eliminated early, im SOL.
straightguji
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#19 » by straightguji » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:58 am

Why couldn't they just wait until the playoffs were over before dropping the channel? It's like they did it on purpose....
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#20 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:01 am

straightguji wrote:Why couldn't they just wait until the playoffs were over before dropping the channel? It's like they did it on purpose....

It does seem odd to drop it now.

Return to The General NHL Board