I'm thinking about getting into Hockey...

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,230
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

I'm thinking about getting into Hockey... 

Post#1 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:30 am

So, a few questions:

What is the significance of the power play?

What is the best hockey video game (I own PS3)?

What team should I follow(as of now leaning towards Crosby and Ovechkin)

I know a little, just convince me to be a hockey fan :)

I know about Gretzky, Lemeiux, and Bobby Orr and I love contact, toughness, and physical aspects of the 2 sports I do follow.

Make me a fan :)
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: I'm thinking about getting into Hockey... 

Post#2 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:54 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:So, a few questions:

The powerplay occurs when the opposing team takes a penalty. When the team goes on the powerplay, they get the advantage in terms of the amount of players on the ice. The penalized team get's a player removed for the duration of the penalty, so essentially for 2 minutes it's 5 on 4. The penalized team plays with a man down. This allows the team on the powerplay the opportunity to score, and can pass the puck around to create scoring chances since the opposing team is unable to play man on man defense. Think of playing basketball 5-4 in the offensive zone, the team with the most players would get the advantage to score.

I specifically like the EA Sports series (NHL 2006, 2007, etc), but you may like the 2K series as well. I personally own both. I'd suggest renting each and conclude from there.

Watch some hockey on television and decide what team you like, their style of play, their players, etc. If you like a young, successful team...you may like the Penguins with Crosby. If you'd like to cheer for a rebuilding team, you may like the Capitals with Ovechkin. If you like a specific Canadian team, watch those games and decide from there.

I know about Gretzky, Lemeiux, and Bobby Orr and I love contact, toughness, and physical aspects of the 2 sports I do follow.

Now would be the best time to start following hockey. The games are extremely good right now, and quite intense. All games are close, and feature the best the NHL can offer in terms of overall talent on their roster. If you enjoy excitement and fast play, try to catch a Penguins/Senators game. If you like defensive hockey, try to catch the Devils. Some other early exciting series' include the Canucks/Stars and Nashville/San Jose. Personally, I'd suggest watching the above series'.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions...feel free to ask.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#3 » by UTMCretin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:56 am

Yes sir!

The significance of the powerplay is to penalize a player on one team who does something against the rules (i.e. hooking, interference). He then gets sent to the penalty box for 2 minutes if its a minor and 5 if its a major. This begins a 5 on 4 process in which the team that is penalized has to keep from being scored on for the duration of the penalty while at a disadvantage in odds.

NHL 2k7 is probably the best, although EA put out their best game in a while with NHL 2007 although its sort of 'out there' in terms of control schemes. NHL 2k7 works better as a simulation also, so I'd recommend it.

Depends. If you want to watch a talented team of youngsters and jump on the same bandwagon as everyone else, the Penguins are a good choice. If you want to watch a talented but crappy team of youngsters that people will jump on the bandwagon of as soon as they get good, the Capitals are a good choice. If you don't want to jump on a bandwagon, then pick a team that no one in their right mind would voluntarily cheer for. The Blackhawks come right to mind. And, if I may plug my own team, the Oilers are a good choice for anyone who likes small markets that are theoretically willing to win but can't do any better than 8th seed. Great underdogs if you like watching year old playoff hockey though

As for making you a fan, its a lot easier if you pick a team (though anyone can enjoy the current playoff hockey thats going on, provided you aren't watching New Jersey). Hockey is a fast game that builds on momentum with diehard fans and great physical play. If that doesn't intrigue you at least a little bit, then there's nothing more I can say.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:35 am

Well, I am American, so I don't like specific Canadian teams, and I haven't been to fond of EA lately, and sim style will grow on me more, so I'll probably get 2k.

Thanks for the great posts guys :thumbsup:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#5 » by timd1218 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:44 am

If you decide to follow the Pens, come over to the board and I'll explain the game/Pens players as best as I can for you.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:00 am

OK, I heard on ESPN a few days ago, that the Penguins picked up an enforcer for Crosby.

Now, I'm not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer, but would that be a guy that comes in just to beat the asses of those who check Crosby?

If so.... I don't know what to say about this sport..... besides I love it :thumbsup:
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by UTMCretin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:03 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:OK, I heard on ESPN a few days ago, that the Penguins picked up an enforcer for Crosby.

Now, I'm not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer, but would that be a guy that comes in just to beat the asses of those who check Crosby?

If so.... I don't know what to say about this sport..... besides I love it :thumbsup:

Thats something of the job description entailed. More of an intimidator to dismay premeditated attacks than a straight up goon.

And since I haven't heard about this, was it Laroque? Because I heard something about him going to Pittsburgh
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by timd1218 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:05 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:OK, I heard on ESPN a few days ago, that the Penguins picked up an enforcer for Crosby.

Yep, this was at the trade deadline. Shero (The Pens GM) picked up Georges Laraque. He is known as the best heavyweight fighter in the league.

So far, he has been a disappointment. Only fought 2 times so far and wasn't in response to protecting Sid. I was a fan of this trade, bu right now, it doesn't look to good. I still have hope for him because in a few others games this season, he has tried to fight, the other player just wouldn't drop the gloves.

There are rumors flying around Pittsburgh that he may be having back problems, thus the reason he aint fighting.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:06 am

UTMCretin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thats something of the job description entailed. More of an intimidator to dismay premeditated attacks than a straight up goon.

And since I haven't heard about this, was it Laroque? Because I heard something about him going to Pittsburgh

I couldn't say, maybe it was speculation, and not an actual pick up?

I might have been mistaken(yeah it happens even to me)
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:08 am

O BTW, the main problem with me getting into Hockey is, I am fairly new to it, and the lack of a home team.

I am bonded with the Saints and football, and I have such a huge passion for basketball.

Trying to diversify, and I hate Baseball :)

I did go to a New Orleans Brass game like 2-3 times(Minor League?) and had an absolute blast, arguably as much as any sporting event I went to.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by timd1218 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:12 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:O BTW, the main problem with me getting into Hockey is, I am fairly new to it, and the lack of a home team.

I am bonded with the Saints and football, and I have such a huge passion for basketball.

Trying to diversify, and I hate Baseball :)

I did go to a New Orleans Brass game like 2-3 times(Minor League?) and had an absolute blast, arguably as much as any sporting event I went to.

It's is hard to get into hockey when you can't go to a game live. Hockey is probably the best sport to watch live because you can watch the plays develope. You can see everything going on behind the play. The atmosphere can be amazing as well.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#12 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:12 am

Be a fan of the Panthers. God knows they need 'em.

If you like fast-paced teams, STAY AWAY FROM NEW JERSEY.

That's all I got.

GO HOCKEY!
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#13 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:40 am

timd1218 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yep, this was at the trade deadline. Shero (The Pens GM) picked up Georges Laraque. He is known as the best heavyweight fighter in the league.

So far, he has been a disappointment. Only fought 2 times so far and wasn't in response to protecting Sid. I was a fan of this trade, bu right now, it doesn't look to good. I still have hope for him because in a few others games this season, he has tried to fight, the other player just wouldn't drop the gloves.

There are rumors flying around Pittsburgh that he may be having back problems, thus the reason he aint fighting.

His presence is more valuable than anything. I think other teams know now that he's on the squad, they wouldn't get away with things they would've originally gotten away with.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by timd1218 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:46 am

Crowned wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

His presence is more valuable than anything. I think other teams know now that he's on the squad, they wouldn't get away with things they would've originally gotten away with.

That's what I thought to and kept telling my brother this. But the more I watched the games with Laraque on the bench, that wasn't the case. Teams keep playing Crosby the same way. In game 1 against Ottawa, Ottawa played Crosby very physical and got away with a few cheap shots. Laraque should have did something but he didn't.
harding156
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#15 » by harding156 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:40 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:O BTW, the main problem with me getting into Hockey is, I am fairly new to it, and the lack of a home team.

I live in Indiana, but that hasn't stopped me from being a San Jose Sharks fan since they joined the league. The 3 hour timezone difference is probably partially responsible for my insomnia, but its worth it.

Oh, and I have NHL 2K7 for PS3 and I love it. But like someone said earlier, you're probably best off renting both before buying.
Islanders82
Sophomore

Post#16 » by Islanders82 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:37 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:So, a few questions:

I'll warn you now, once you get into hockey and attend games, you will start to lose interest in other sports. :nod:
harding156
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#17 » by harding156 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:22 pm

Islanders82 wrote:I'll warn you now, once you get into hockey and attend games, you will start to lose interest in other sports. :nod:

I've slowly lost interest in basketball and baseball since I started watching hockey, but I still love football just as much. NFL football is just so unique, almost every game has a playoff feel to it.

But the NBA makes me sick anymore. If the Pacers ever moved I don't think I'd ever watch another game.
Islanders82
Sophomore

Post#18 » by Islanders82 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:47 pm

harding156 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I've slowly lost interest in basketball and baseball since I started watching hockey, but I still love football just as much. NFL football is just so unique, almost every game has a playoff feel to it.

But the NBA makes me sick anymore. If the Pacers ever moved I don't think I'd ever watch another game.

I hear ya, i have not watched a basketball game in quite some time and may never again, football i do for the sake of Fantasy and sports betting.

It's like, once you watch the NHL playoffs or just a good NHL game, than go and try to watch a Basketball game, even a great one, it is un-satisfying.

Hockey just has so much to it, so much it takes to make a Stanley cup team, so much to the actual game..skill, grit, determination, all your work ethic has to be top notch if you want to be a great player. In other sports, you can get away with being lazy, or just being big or powerful to be good(Cough, Cough..Shaq) that does not fly in the NHL.

To get you started, read around here, they have great articles and it's a good hockey community.
www.hfboards.com

Become an Islander fan...if you like to be dissapointed :wink:
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by UTMCretin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Islanders82 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'll warn you now, once you get into hockey and attend games, you will start to lose interest in other sports. :nod:

I went through the exact opposite thing a few years ago
Islanders82
Sophomore

Post#20 » by Islanders82 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:16 am

UTMCretin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I went through the exact opposite thing a few years ago

You went from the NHL to the NBA :crazy:

How do you go from
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3TbZAua6JJ4

To
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9tys_E_MREY

That's just a joke of course, but i still find it crazy that once an NHL fans turn it off.

Return to The General NHL Board