Keeper Help

l2RDO
Junior
And1: 0

Keeper Help 

Post#1 » by l2RDO » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:42 pm

My league allows 3 keeper picks at the end of the year. Im currently sitting in 5th out of 14 teams with a mixed roster of young and old players, and my goalie situation is awful (Quick, Toskala). With my current team, im wondering if its worth picking up Rask or Varlamov as a keeper for next year. The league is head to head points, usually starting 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G per day with a maximum of 21 forwards, 14 defense, and 7 goalies a week (with the possibility of 25 forwards, 17 defense, and 8 goalies if you manipulate the system). My league also puts a premium on goalies. Just for comparison, the top 10 goalies are averaging 293.1 points and 7.4 ppg, while the top 10 forwards are averaging 260 points and 4.8 ppg.

My Team
G: J. Quick, V. Toskala
C: V. Lecavalier, P. Berglund
LW: P. Elias, D. Booth
RW: N. Horton, A. Kovalev,T. Selanne
D: D. Wideman, T. Gilbert, P. Kuba, Mike Van Ryn (IR)
Then I have 4 additional roster spots in which I rotate hot/cold players in off of the waiver wire and take advantage of the system.

The FA pool isnt exactly full of quality players either, the top scoring free agents at the moment are D. Stafford, T. White, B. Little, and M. Modano. The top FA goalies are B. Johnson (IR), A. Raycroft, J. Labarbera, E. Ersberg.

Right now im definitely keeping V. Lecavalier, but is it worth adding Rask/Varlamov for next season, and if so, who would you keep along with Lecavalier?

Thanks!
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Keeper Help 

Post#2 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Vinny is a damn good keeper. I would go with either Elias or Wideman. Wideman is having a breakout season, and could very well go off next year. Elias would be the save bet. Maybe Kovalev.

As for Rask, I expect him to be up in Boston next year. And will probably split time with Thomas if the Bruins can re-sign him.
l2RDO
Junior

Post#3 » by l2RDO » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:29 pm

Last year I had Mike Green, but kept Toskala instead. I figured Toskala would be the safe bet since he would get almost all the starts in Toronto, I dont want to have another situation like that with Wideman. Im also thinking of keeping P. Berglund, since hes a pretty good prospect and has done really well for a rookie. Elias has been my best player this season, but I think I would rather gamble on a young potential stud, than a solid vet. I guess Im leaning towards Lecavalier, Wideman, and Berglund as my 3 keeper selections, then trying to steal Rask somewhat early in the draft.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by timd1218 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:54 pm

If I were you, I would pick up Brian Little and keep him. He is going to be a beast.

Also, if you are looking at a defenseman, look at Alex Goligoski. He will be on the Pens full time next year and I expect a breakout year from him. He played well while he was here and will only get better.

I'd also try and find a new winger to replace Selenne. He will probably retire this season.

Or you could possible try and trade for a goalie. Try and buy low on a goalie who is struggling. A la MA Fleury.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#5 » by Crowned » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:53 am

If you're in a keeper league, pick up Little immediately.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,789

Post#6 » by RoyceDa59 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:23 pm

I agree with the above posters, pick up Little, and keep him, Lecavelier and Wideman. Don't worry about Tosk or Quick, you can replace them with something better rather easily.
Go Raps!!
l2RDO
Junior

Post#7 » by l2RDO » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 pm

So I managed to grab Steven Stamkos off of waivers (Brian Little is already taken), and my team has been officially eliminated from the playoffs, so now Im thinking about keeping Vinny, Elias, and Stamkos. Berglund and Wideman have had a rough last couple of weeks, and Stamkos has been on fire, but Im a bit hesitant to keep two players from the same team. Should I keep Stamkos? Or stick with Vinny, Elias, and Wideman?
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by timd1218 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:56 am

l2RDO wrote:So I managed to grab Steven Stamkos off of waivers (Brian Little is already taken), and my team has been officially eliminated from the playoffs, so now Im thinking about keeping Vinny, Elias, and Stamkos. Berglund and Wideman have had a rough last couple of weeks, and Stamkos has been on fire, but Im a bit hesitant to keep two players from the same team. Should I keep Stamkos? Or stick with Vinny, Elias, and Wideman?

That stinks about Little. He would have been a great addition. Is Derrick Brassard a free agent? If he is, you could pick him up and trade Lecavalier. You could probably get an awful lot for him and Brassard will be centering Columbus' 1st line next year with Rick Nash.

I'm not sure what a keeper league is. Do you pick 3 players on your team to keep and then the rest go into a free agent pool type thing?

If that is the case, I'd probably keep David Booth or Nathan Horton over Patrick Elias.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
l2RDO
Junior

Post#9 » by l2RDO » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:57 am

So I ended up trading P. Elias for Joe Thornton and Alexander Frolov. So now I need help selecting my third keeper pick. My first two selections will be V. Lecavalier, and J. Thornton. The third pick is between the following players.

David Booth, Nathan Horton, Alexander Frolov, Steven Stamkos, and Dennis Wideman.

Obviously with both Thornton and Lecavalier taking up my C positions Im inclined to take one of either Wideman, Horton, Frolov, or Booth (even though Stamkos is my favorite out of the bunch).

Any opinions on my third keeper would be welcome!
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,789

Post#10 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Apr 7, 2009 8:46 pm

As much as it hurts to keep 3 centers, I don't think you can make a case for droping Stamkos. He's on a tear and he's been projected since an early age to be a superstar, there is far too much upside to give him up for a marginal player without much potential for improvement (Frolov, Horton, Booth). If you are really set on only 2 center keepers, than take Wideman, but I'd really suggest keeping Stamper.
Go Raps!!

Return to Fantasy Hockey