A new MIN / NJ role player swap

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

A new MIN / NJ role player swap 

Post#1 » by Ricepilar » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:58 pm

Marko Jaric, Craig Smith, Ryan Gomes

FOR

Jamaal Magloire (exp), Antoine Wright (exp), 2008 protected 1st round pick

Why for MIN?
The get rid of Jaric's awful contract. They lose two decent young role players but pick up a draft pick.

Why for NJ?
They bolster their rotation for their playoff push. This trade makes their bench much better.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,738

Post#2 » by shrink » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:11 pm

I think this is a fair offer, and good value for both teams with completely different needs. I'd personally do the deal as is for MIN, but I suspect most MIN fans that won't do it with Craig Smith AND Ryan Gomes in. Gomes is more polished (fitting you better), and like everyone, fans love it when their second rounders show some stuff, so they are very attached to Smith.

Would you consider Marko, Gomes and Gerald Green?

Either way, I'd probably do it. Jaric's been helpful, but MIN can't really take advantage of his productivity for anything more than speeding up development of the kids. Magloire would probably even get some minutes in MIN, and while it'll probably never happen again, if he could revert to the good defensive center he was 3-4 years ago, he might even fit with Al, so he might be motivated like its an audition.

Good trade - helps both clubs
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#3 » by deeney0 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:14 pm

I don't see the Wolves parting with Craig Smith, especially for that package.

Marko and Gomes for Magloire and Wright, forget about Smith and the 1st?
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#4 » by Ricepilar » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:08 pm

nah, i dont see either of those other options. the nets need some toughness up front.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,333

Post#5 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:25 am

nets wont touch that contract of Jaric
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:50 am

DanTown8587 wrote:nets wont touch that contract of Jaric

+1

Jaric is finally doing well because he's being allowed to run offense. He needs that to be effective, and he simply will never get that opportunity in NJ. The offense is going to run through Kidd, Carter, Armstrong and Marcus Williams before Jaric.

We had a very similar problem with our 1st-round pick from a few years ago, Zoran Planinic. He was touted to be a 6'7 versatile PG/SG/SF, but the truth is that he didn't really have a true position in the NBA. One thing was for sure: he needed the ball to go through him to be at all effective, and that simply was not going to happen in New Jersey.

So, as much as I enjoy deja vu and horrible contracts, the Nets decline.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#7 » by deviljets7 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:21 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1

Jaric is finally doing well because he's being allowed to run offense. He needs that to be effective, and he simply will never get that opportunity in NJ. The offense is going to run through Kidd, Carter, Armstrong and Marcus Williams before Jaric.

We had a very similar problem with our 1st-round pick from a few years ago, Zoran Planinic. He was touted to be a 6'7 versatile PG/SG/SF, but the truth is that he didn't really have a true position in the NBA. One thing was for sure: he needed the ball to go through him to be at all effective, and that simply was not going to happen in New Jersey.

So, as much as I enjoy deja vu and horrible contracts, the Nets decline.

+1

A question for the T-Wolves fans I have is what would you want for Gomes? A first rounder (since it would likely be in the 15-19 range) seems a bit much for Gomes since he can be a FA, I wonder if there's a deal that makes sense that doesn't involve taking a garbage contract back.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,511

Post#8 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:17 am

Don't see the point of this deal from the Nets perspective whatsoever.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#9 » by wolves_fan_82au » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:29 am

i would hate too give up craig Smith but the first deal seems sorta fair, be better though if we could get Marcus Williams :P
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#10 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:32 pm

this trade leaves MN with Sebastian Telfair as the only active point guard, Gomes is the starting SF, Smith is the first bigman off the bench, and each is a mid to late first round talent. In its totality this trade doesn't work for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
shrink
RealGM

Post#11 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:41 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Jaric is finally doing well because he's being allowed to run offense. He needs that to be effective, and he simply will never get that opportunity in NJ.

Actually, I think its the other way around. He's doing well when Telfair has been playing PG, and Jaric feels as a 2-guard, he needs to provide more offense. He played last season almost entirely at the 3, and he also did well, but his benefit is rarely going to show up in the offensive stats.

As a traditional PG, I can't see Jaric as a starter on many NBA teams. He doesn't look to score, he can't create his own shot off the dribble, and while he's great at using his size on most guards, it keeps him from matching footspeed with the 4-5 smallest speed-demons. However, he makes the players around him better, plays defensive, and for the Wolves, helps the youngin's get to the right spots where he can get them the ball to be more successful. He adds rebounds, assists, and steals, and is a vet that always hustles. He's a complimentary player who increases the effectiveness of better players around him, but you want him on the court.
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:46 pm

deviljets7 wrote: A question for the T-Wolves fans I have is what would you want for Gomes? A first rounder (since it would likely be in the 15-19 range) seems a bit much for Gomes since he can be a FA, I wonder if there's a deal that makes sense that doesn't involve taking a garbage contract back.

I think your valuation is reasonable, and I could see Gomes being helpful to the Nets, since he's the most seasoned of the young guys.

If by "garbage" you mean "unproductive player" I think MIN would do it. If by "garbage" you really mean "garbage contract," I don't think so.

MIN is going to be squeezed heavily next season to stay under the lux. They don't know now, but they may want to bring back several players, and they have to pay their new picks as well. Glen Taylor has already bought out four contracts this season -- I think he's done. Personally, I see MIN bringing Gomes back next season, but even if they don't, they'd probably trade him elsewhere, since the money is probably becoming taboo.

EDIT: The best way to move Gomes is to add production from MIN side. They don't need production, and can accept players that are unproductive on the court, as long as they don't make the contract situation worse.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,633

Post#13 » by hermes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:45 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:nets wont touch that contract of Jaric

who would?
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#14 » by deeney0 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:34 pm

Other than moving Jaric, picking up a 1st or picking up a young center, I don't see why the Wolves would trade Gomes.
shrink
RealGM

Post#15 » by shrink » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:52 am

hermes wrote: who would?

Who would? Actually, as this very trade demonstrates, posters from several teams have been inquiring about Jaric.

There's a reason Jaric wasn't listed on the Twenty Worst Contracts in the League article last month. Its because he's not.

Yeah, he's over-priced, but his deal only averages $6.9 mil, while some players cost double or triple that. He has his flaws, but he's been playing well and he's a talent fit for several teams. His defense is something many teams can use, as is his back-court size, and flexibility for teams with weak benches. He lost ten pounds with the flu two weeks ago, but I'm sure Adriana Lima has been nursing him back to health.

I've seen him mentioned in trades from more sophisticated posters from four (Edit: FIVE) different teams (NJN, MIL, MEM, NO, PHO) in the last ten days, often with favorable responses. I'm not saying Jaric is a good contract, particularly with the fourth year. However I think this idea that Jaric is a horrible contract doesn't hold weight any more.

Return to Trades and Transactions