Dallas gets frontcourt help

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

JimmyBulls
Banned User
And1: 2
Location: At the local mega-church, and not buying the prayer cloth.

Dallas gets frontcourt help 

Post#1 » by JimmyBulls » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:45 pm

This is a simply deal that works for both teams.

Dallas aquires Joe Smith

Chicago aquires Nick Fazekas and Trenton Hassell

Well I think it's obvious why Dallas would agree to this deal. They get a power forward that's not washed up like Howard. The Bulls make this deal because Smith was signed to be a piece of a championship contender. The Bulls are clearly closer to rebuilding (or at least restructuring) than they will ever be to winning a ring. As for the players going to Chicago, Hassell is a guy who still can produce defensively, and Thabo is just not going to develop into the player Paxson thought he could become. Fazekas is a guy who skills always interested me. He has range on his shot and would be perfect to pair with Noah at the power forward.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#2 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 pm

This deal is not going to hurt my feeling either way, but I don't see how it makes sense for Dallas.

Dampier/Diop
Nowitzki/Bass

Two deep with Juwan Howard, Deveon George and Fazekas (when D-League is over) all being able to play either position. Dirk & Bass also play some at center.

There is absloutly no reason to trade Fazekas if this is the deal on the table.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#3 » by catalyst » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:22 pm

A trade like that was needed last year, not this year
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#4 » by JD45 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:37 am

The trade is fair, but the Mavs really don't need Smith.

On the other hand, I suspect that Fazekas is just not an Avery kind of player. So a trade makes sense to me.

So lets make it a little more interesting:

Joe Smith
Thabo Sefolosha

for

Hassell
Fazekas
Ager

The Mavs wanted Sefolosha, and Ager is not working out. Maybe Ager and Sefolosha could benefit from a change. Smith would hate riding the bench, but he might be helpful in case of an injury or as a small ball center.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
JES12
RealGM

Post#5 » by JES12 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:00 am

I like that trade better, JD45, but not an ideal trade IMO.

Why dp you think Fazkeas is not an Avery type of player? He drafted him knowing that whoever we draft will either play in euro (like Terry) or the D-League (like Fazekas). So far, he has done what has been expected from him without any problems. In all honesty, I think Juwan will not be back next year and Fazekas will assume that role as the backup PF and C.
thaAteam
Banned User

Post#6 » by thaAteam » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:31 am

smith would be a solid fit in dallas for the trash posted in this deal, dampier is injury prone and with diop being glued to the bench smith would be perfect here
JES12
RealGM

Post#7 » by JES12 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:02 am

Diop's being glue to the bench because of the play of our backup PF (same position Smith would be) Brandon Bass. It's not anything bad from Diop as it is more of the play of Bass.
thaAteam
Banned User

Post#8 » by thaAteam » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:17 am

bass hasnt been playing good until lately thats why he was benched against atl, diop was glued to the bench even before then. the mavs better trade him cuz he is going to get the mle in free agency and is not worth that at all
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,884

Post#9 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Id be surprised if Chicago did this... Id be all for it as a Mavs fan though

Return to Trades and Transactions