KOTB: Wizards-Pacers (Cory Joseph) 0 points

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

KOTB: Wizards-Pacers (Cory Joseph) 0 points 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Smith, Satoransky and 2018 1st round pick (protected 1-14) for Joseph
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8g9chy8

Why for Wizards - They get a credible backup point guard to lead their bench unit for guys that they don't use. Joseph will be a free agent next summer, but a lottery protected pick seems like a fair price to nab a quality player like him and his bird rights. Hopefully Wizards can re-sign him.

Why for Pacers - Joseph is playing on the final year of his contract. Collison is their chosen starting point guard. So let's cash in Joseph for a 1st round pick. Smith and Satoransky contracts are not that bad to swallow anyway.

"If you believe all teams would accept this trade, vote yes. If you believe otherwise, vote no. Please explain your vote."
#thevillain
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,667

Re: KOTB: Wizards-Pacers (Cory Joseph) 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:31 pm

I want to push the pick to protected 1-20. Also I like the idea a lot. Going to hold off as I'm not convinced I can spend another Washington 1st, but not convinced they shouldn't. I like this, good trade to start the morning off with.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#3 » by queridiculo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm

No.

Washington lost out on adding the likes of Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma and Caleb Swanigan because of their idiotic trade with the Nets.

They're up hard against the luxury tax threshold and can ill afford to miss out on another chance to add a productive player on a bargain salary in the draft. Consider, Grunfeld has managed to put the Wizards in a position where they will not have a 2nd round pick until 2022 following next years draft.

I also question how much Joseph moves the needle for the Wizards.

Satoransky is a bit too old to expect meaningful improvement from him but he provides value as a guy that can defend three positions if we need him to and Smith has given the Wizards meaningful minutes at the center position when he's been asked to play.

That's before you consider that Frazier is actually doing a solid job running the second unit despite stats don't necessarily pop off the sheet.

Even straight up without the pick I'd have to force myself to like this deal.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#4 » by DeathLineup » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I want to push the pick to protected 1-20. Also I like the idea a lot. Going to hold off as I'm not convinced I can spend another Washington 1st, but not convinced they shouldn't. I like this, good trade to start the morning off with.

The thing is if the pick is protected more, don't think it will entice Pacers. Lots of team should be willing to offer a lottery protected 1st round pick for Joseph.

Think that Wizards' pick next year will end up around 21-25. They shouldn't be groggy to lose a low 1st round pick for an instant upgrade to compete this season. Cavaliers are looking very prone so far. Celtics' new core has no playoffs reps. Now feels like the right moment for Wizards to go all out.
#thevillain
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#5 » by RaptorsLife » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 pm

queridiculo wrote:No.

Washington lost out on adding the likes of Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma and Caleb Swanigan because of their idiotic trade with the Nets.

They're up hard against the luxury tax threshold and can ill afford to miss out on another chance to add a productive player on a bargain salary in the draft. Consider, Grunfeld has managed to put the Wizards in a position where they will not have a 2nd round pick until 2022 following next years draft.

I also question how much Joseph moves the needle for the Wizards.

Satoransky is a bit too old to expect meaningful improvement from him but he provides value as a guy that can defend three positions if we need him to and Smith has given the Wizards meaningful minutes at the center position when he's been asked to play.

That's before you consider that Frazier is actually doing a solid job running the second unit despite stats don't necessarily pop off the sheet.

Even straight up without the pick I'd have to force myself to like this deal.

Yeah I don't think Joseph worth that. His defense is really overrated
Raptors til death
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#6 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I don't think it's worth it for Washington for reasons others have stated.
KOTB: No.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#7 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:07 pm

They're up hard against the luxury tax threshold and can ill afford to miss out on another chance to add a productive player on a bargain salary in the draft.

They would have been into the tax if they didn't make that trade with the Nets since they would still have Nicholson or would have had to stretch him.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#8 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 pm

DeathLineup wrote:Smith, Satoransky and 2018 1st round pick (protected 1-14) for Joseph
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8g9chy8

Why for Wizards - They get a credible backup point guard to lead their bench unit for guys that they don't use. Joseph will be a free agent next summer, but a lottery protected pick seems like a fair price to nab a quality player like him and his bird rights. Hopefully Wizards can re-sign him.

Why for Pacers - Joseph is playing on the final year of his contract. Collison is their chosen starting point guard. So let's cash in Joseph for a 1st round pick. Smith and Satoransky contracts are not that bad to swallow anyway.

"If you believe all teams would accept this trade, vote yes. If you believe otherwise, vote no. Please explain your vote."

No I don't think I'd go for that from the Pacers, it might be nice to have a 2018 #1, I like Joseph and feel like he could start, he's only 26 and may become the starter at some point. More likely to trade Collison who is on a 2 yr deal but the 2nd year is only $2 million guaranteed. Depending on the Pacers place in the standing, injury's and possible playoff appearance one or the other could be traded around the trade deadline.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#9 » by queridiculo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

They're up hard against the luxury tax threshold and can ill afford to miss out on another chance to add a productive player on a bargain salary in the draft.

They would have been into the tax if they didn't make that trade with the Nets since they would still have Nicholson or would have had to stretch him.

That doesn't make it any less of an idiotic trade, especially since the outcome was predictable.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

They are in the tax right now. They're $5.8 million over the tax line.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,188

Post#11 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:34 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:They are in the tax right now. They're $5.8 million over the tax line.

Pacers have a roster spot and some cap space so we can help you get out of the tax but this trade doesn't move the needle for us. CoJo is playing well for us and moving him for a draft pick, even fully unprotected, would be a move to put us in the lottery and out of the playoff race and I don't think we're ready to do that.

what we need though is a backup wing. if you have an extra backup who can defend SF's, we could take on some salary. I doubt there is a trade we'd be interested in now (come back at the deadline) that would make you better this year but we can do a 0 for 1 (we have the rights to a player in Europe who's not coming over) if you want to save tax.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#12 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:16 pm

KOTB yes

For the Pacers, I think I'm convinced now that DC is the guy to keep, but long term he's a backup, meaning it won't make sense to pay CoJo the money it would take to keep him. So for a guy who's about to walk, plus eating some moderately bad salary, a mid-late first round pick isn't bad.

For the Wizards, this deal does several things. It brings in a productive player at a position of need (CoJo will play both guard spots) while getting rid of bad salary. It also saves some tax this year, all for a pick likely in the 20s. My feeling is that the Wiz won't value the pick as much as immediate help.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,588

Post#13 » by pcbothwel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:43 pm

KOTB NO.
Joseph and Frazier are the same caliber of player. I wouldnt even be that happy about this trade without the pick, so adding the pick is a definite NO.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,478

Post#14 » by Asif16 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Joseph isnt worth that much.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#15 » by pacers33granger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 pm

This is an easy yes for Indy and an easy no for Washington. So for KOTB, it's a no.

That said, those who believe that Joseph isn't much, or any, of an upgrade over Frazier are mistaken. They both are what they are at this point and Joseph is better in nearly every facet.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Yeah, easy no for Washington. Because they've traded their last 2 firsts and have signed 3 max contracts, they're in a position where they need their pick and have to score on it. At some point, they're going to need to replace Gortat and Morris, and they won't have cap room to do it, so they need to develop a couple of draft picks. Trading a 1st for a rental should not be an option for them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,950

Post#17 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Yeah, this is a no from Washington. I'm not against them trading their pick but they need something more than just an expiring back up point guard.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,950

Post#18 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Yeah, this is a no from Washington. I'm not against them trading their pick but they need something more than just an expiring back up point guard.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.

Return to Trades and Transactions