DEN-Covington,Rose/PHX-Morris/MIN-Barton

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

busybluth22
Senior
And1: 65

DEN-Covington,Rose/PHX-Morris/MIN-Barton 

Post#1 » by busybluth22 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:25 am

DEN In: Covington, Rose
Out: Barton, Morris, Juancho

Covington helps solidify their defense & Rose could help them make some noise in the playoffs.

PHX In: Morris, Juancho, Dieng
Out: Holmes, Anderson

Morris is a young capable pass first PG who will help Ayton & the rest of their young talent develop. Juancho is streaky, but has shown potential and could breakout if he's given minutes.

MIN In: Barton, Holmes, Anderson
Out: Covington, Rose, Dieng

They trade Dieng's contract for Anderson's whose 19-20 option can be bought out for 15M & stretched over 3 years. Losing Covington & Rose would probably ensure the 2nd worst West record ahead of PHX & improve their lottery pick.

*Tweaked proposal:

MIN in: Barton, Fultz, Holmes, Jarred Vanderbilt, Anderson
DEN in: Covington, Rose, Amir Johnson
PHX in: Morris, Juancho, Dieng
PHI in: IT, Tolliver, Deng, DEN 2nd
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Re: DEN-Covington,Rose/PHX-Morris/MIN-Barton 

Post#2 » by psimanic1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:28 am

We are giving too much...Would rather have Morris for few more years than Rose for this season...And I would say you are a PHX fan?
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#3 » by Resistance » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 am

Denver probably does the best with this trade.

Either or both of Phoenix and Minnesota will refuse to do it.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#4 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:50 am

Diengs contract is horrid, but is Minnesota really in a position to give away Covington? Even if they start to tank, with how bad the east is they are probably in 8th or 9th position. Lucky to get a Covington in the draft at that spot. They just need to ride it out and hope they can move dieng/1st next season for a decent rotation player.

For the nuggets it's kind of interesting. Covington would be awesome for their team, and I guess rose is a nice upgrade to morris for this year, but they are still so young this seems kind if shortsighted. I like Covington enough I'm good with this though.

For Phx It seems strange. Do they believe Morris could be the long term solution at the 1. If yes, then you do it. If not then it's just another band aid solution grabbing a young pg who seems like a career bench player and taking on a horrid contract.

Well thought out OP
busybluth22
Senior

Post#5 » by busybluth22 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:09 am

psimanic1 wrote:We are giving too much...Would rather have Morris for few more years than Rose for this season...And I would say you are a PHX fan?

Not a PHX fan, in fact I've had the pleasure of watching DEN more than any other team this year & think you guys have the best shot at taking GS out in the West if they're not at full health come playoff time (though HOU could still make a move & have something to say about that). You guys have a bright future, especially if Porter can stay healthy so I understand the rationale to not make a swing for the fences move when you have time on your side.

Morris has been really good this year but I think he's already operating close to his ceiling. He will only be on his rookie contract one more year after this one, unless you use your team option for 20/21 & risk losing him as an unrestricted FA after that. There are a lot of good PGs out there, but not many like him when it comes to decision making, so I could be underrating him.

How much of a gap in value do you see between Covington & Barton? Last year Barton seemed kind of like a Jekyl/Hyde type guy for them. He was either impressive & won them some ballgames or seemed to force the issue & restrict the offensive flow. For me DEN's biggest weakness is that only Craig can guard talented SFs like Durant, George, Lebron & it's still a ? whether he can keep up his recent 3pt shooting. Covington & his 3&D qualities makes him a much better fit over Barton.

DEN at some point should make a consolidation type trade, they have the luxury of having too many talented guys since a lot of their young guys have improved. They're not going to have the capspace to keep all of them.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#6 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 am

Seems really awful for the Wolves.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#7 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:09 pm

The OP seems to have something for everyone to dislike. :lol: But it's not a totally bad idea; perhaps it needs some tweaking but ...
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Spoiler:
Diengs contract is horrid, but is Minnesota really in a position to give away Covington? Even if they start to tank, with how bad the east is they are probably in 8th or 9th position. Lucky to get a Covington in the draft at that spot. They just need to ride it out and hope they can move dieng/1st next season for a decent rotation player.

For the nuggets it's kind of interesting. Covington would be awesome for their team, and I guess rose is a nice upgrade to morris for this year, but they are still so young this seems kind if shortsighted. I like Covington enough I'm good with this though.
Spoiler:
For Phx It seems strange. Do they believe Morris could be the long term solution at the 1. If yes, then you do it. If not then it's just another band aid solution grabbing a young pg who seems like a career bench player and taking on a horrid contract.

Well thought out OP

I also really like Covington and agree that Rose is a temp upgrade over Morris, we have Thomas hopefully taking that slot. Would I do this trade for Denver? It's a tough call. Denver seems to be overpaying but it just might be worth it. (Of course the same could be said for Minnesota. Phoenix seems to get the best of this deal but I doubt they'd be happy either. :-? )
busybluth22 wrote:
Spoiler:
psimanic1 wrote:We are giving too much...Would rather have Morris for few more years than Rose for this season...And I would say you are a PHX fan?

Not a PHX fan, in fact I've had the pleasure of watching DEN more than any other team this year & think you guys have the best shot at taking GS out in the West if they're not at full health come playoff time (though HOU could still make a move & have something to say about that). You guys have a bright future, especially if Porter can stay healthy so I understand the rationale to not make a swing for the fences move when you have time on your side.

Morris has been really good this year but I think he's already operating close to his ceiling. He will only be on his rookie contract one more year after this one, unless you use your team option for 20/21 & risk losing him as an unrestricted FA after that. There are a lot of good PGs out there, but not many like him when it comes to decision making, so I could be underrating him.

How much of a gap in value do you see between Covington & Barton? Last year Barton seemed kind of like a Jekyl/Hyde type guy for them. He was either impressive & won them some ballgames or seemed to force the issue & restrict the offensive flow. For me DEN's biggest weakness is that only Craig can guard talented SFs like Durant, George, Lebron & it's still a ? whether he can keep up his recent 3pt shooting. Covington & his 3&D qualities makes him a much better fit over Barton.

DEN at some point should make a consolidation type trade, they have the luxury of having too many talented guys since a lot of their young guys have improved. They're not going to have the capspace to keep all of them.

If Morris is at his ceiling, I love him as Murray's backup and that argument suggests Phoenix won't want him anyway. I'll agree that Covington is better than Barton and if Porter lives up to his potential, we'd have a very nice pair of interchangeable forwards.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#8 » by SmokeyPaw » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Minn is not using covington, its 2nd best player, to move dieng. Complete non-starter.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,657

Post#9 » by shrink » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:09 pm

busybluth22 wrote:How much of a gap in value do you see between Covington & Barton?

I think there is a pretty substantial gap.

Covington was 1st team All Defensive Team last year. I think this demonstrates exceptional defense, since he is not nearly as famous as the stars who generally get this award. He s also on a wonderful contract, and is a great fit next to KAT.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,612

Post#10 » by youngthegiant » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Big Pass from Denver. Morris and Juancho are being treated as throw ins when they actually have value. Barton is really good and imo better than Covington when healthy.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,620

Post#11 » by nomansland » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Not feeling this one. Looks like a short-sighted move for a marginal upgrade.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#12 » by jbent87 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Love it for DEN but way too light for MIN. MIN suddenly in a position the Sixers were with Covington - why move a totally useful, necessary 3-D guy on an affordable contract unless you're getting a key/above average return/player back, which is what PHI thought we were getting w Butler. Still yet to be determined I guess pending on this years playoffs/FA if we got that return.

But yeah, gonna take more than this for MIN to punt this pretty solid player that they like a lot.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#13 » by eathb_au » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm

I would absolutely do this for Den, Covington is perfect for our starting lineup.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,058

Post#14 » by iggymcfrack » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:12 am

youngthegiant wrote:Big Pass from Denver. Morris and Juancho are being treated as throw ins when they actually have value. Barton is really good and imo better than Covington when healthy.

You're crazy. Covington's a Top 25 player in the league on an amazing contract. He's significantly more valuable than any player on the Nuggets except Jokic. Barton’s a solid player but he’s nothing special. This would be an incredible trade for Denver. Minnesota's never doing it in a million years though. They gave up Jimmy Butler for Covington. They’re not going to flip him into Barton just to dump Dieng.
busybluth22
Senior

Post#15 » by busybluth22 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:38 am

shrink wrote:
busybluth22 wrote:How much of a gap in value do you see between Covington & Barton?

I think there is a pretty substantial gap.

Covington was 1st team All Defensive Team last year. I think this demonstrates exceptional defense, since he is not nearly as famous as the stars who generally get this award. He s also on a wonderful contract, and is a great fit next to KAT.

Thanks for the response, can't say I disagree. Rethinking a little I agree with the sentiment that MIN is not getting enough back in this deal. Out of curiosity would any of the MIN posters be interested if PHI was roped in as a 4th team who would send Fultz. Something like:

PHI in: IT, Tolliver, Deng, DEN 2nd

IT is a big ? but could provide a huge boost if healthy. Tolliver spaces the floor.

MIN in: Barton, Fultz, Holmes, Jarred Vanderbilt, Anderson

Add Fultz & Vanderbilt who has promise & would have been a much higher pick if not for his injury.

PHX in: Morris, Juancho, Dieng

DEN in: Covington, Rose, Amir Johnson

They give up more than the original deal to make it more balanced, but at least gain a vet big for the end of the bench.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,222

Post#16 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:46 am

Covington is a 28 year old elite role player that is likely to be declining by the time Minnesota gets some decent players around KAT to compete. If im Minny I would trade Covington for assets or a younger player but I wouldn’t use him to dump Dieng. Might as well just wait out Dieng at this point.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,612

Post#17 » by youngthegiant » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:53 am

iggymcfrack wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Big Pass from Denver. Morris and Juancho are being treated as throw ins when they actually have value. Barton is really good and imo better than Covington when healthy.

You're crazy. Covington's a Top 25 player in the league on an amazing contract. He's significantly more valuable than any player on the Nuggets except Jokic. Barton’s a solid player but he’s nothing special. This would be an incredible trade for Denver. Minnesota's never doing it in a million years though. They gave up Jimmy Butler for Covington. They’re not going to flip him into Barton just to dump Dieng.
Oh please, a 4th/5th option on a good team is not a top 25 player. His defense probably gets him into the top 50 but if Covington is your 2nd best player that team is going nowhere fast.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,058

Post#18 » by iggymcfrack » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:33 am

youngthegiant wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:

Oh please, a 4th/5th option on a good team is not a top 25 player. His defense probably gets him into the top 50 but if Covington is your 2nd best player that team is going nowhere fast.

Honestly, you could probably say that about anyone outside the top 15 or 20 if you’re talking about actually competing for a championship. You need two mega-elite players unless maybe you build perfectly around a LeBron type with role players. Once you have those two mega-elite players though, Covington’s about the perfect third player to make an impact on defense, drill threes, and stay out of the way of the top two guys.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#19 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:26 am

youngthegiant wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:

Where would you rank Draymond Green?
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,259

Post#20 » by RRFB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:43 am

Yeah I don't think Denver does this. The difference between Covington and Barton isn't significant enough for Denver to sacrifice the chemistry and continuity they have going right now.

Covington is a very good role player on a solid contract, but I disagree with this notion that he's "more valuable than any player on the Nuggets except Jokic."

Return to Trades and Transactions