Boston / New Orleans / Portland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Boston / New Orleans / Portland 

Post#1 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Boston Trades
- Gordon Hayward to PDX
- Jason Tatum to NO
- Guerschon Yabusele to PDX
- 2019 SAC R1 (#14) to NO
- 2019 LAC R1 (#18) to NO
- 2020 BOS R1 (Unprotected) to NO
- 2020 ATL R2 to NO
- 2021 BOS R2 to NO
- 2022 BOS R2 to NO

Boston Receives
- Anthony Davis from NO
- Mo Harkless from PDX
- Solomon Hill from NO

New Orleans Trades
- Anthony Davis to BOS
- Solomon Hill to BOS

New Orleans Receives
- Evan Turner from PDX
- Myers Leonard from PDX
- Jason Tatum from BOS
- 2019 SAC R1 (#14) from BOS
- 2019 LAC R1 (#18) from BOS
- 2020 BOS R1 (Unprotected) from BOS
- 2020 ATL R2 from BOS
- 2021 BOS R2 from BOS
- 2022 BOS R2 from BOS

Portland Trades
- Evan Turner to NO
- Myers Leonard to NO
- Mo Harkless to BOS

Portland Receives
- Gordon Hayward from BOS
- Guerschon Yabusele from BOS

WHY FOR BOSTON
They get their golden goose. Anthony Davis is the guy that Ainge has been seeking out for ages now. This deal only happens if he commits to resign, as they wont risk losing a blue-chip guy like Tatum without that commitment. They deal a ton of picks, but manage to use Hayward as filler rather than Horford which is huge IMO. They resign Marcus Morris, Aaron Baynes, ring chasers and draft Shamorie Ponds w/ BOS R1.

PG - Kyrie Irving / Marcus Smart / Shamorie Ponds
SG - Jaylen Brown / Marcus Smart / Ring Chaser #1 / PJ Dozier
SF - Mo Harkless / Marcus Morris / Ring Chaser #2
PF - Anthony Davis / Marcus Morris / Semi Ojeleye / Solomon Hill
C - Al Horford / Aaron Baynes / Robert Williams

WHY FOR NEW ORLEANS
They want a player in any AD trade that they see as a potential future All Pro and Tatum fits that role. They also get two EC's in Evan Turner and Myers Leonard, both are great locker room guys and can be excellent tank commanders in 2019/20. They move the useless Solomon Hill and gain three R1 picks and a gaggle of R2's. I presume their roster will make so many rebuild/tank moves in summer 2019 once AD is gone that I wont even bother with a roster breakdown.

WHY FOR PORTLAND
They gamble on Gordon returning to form, or at least 75% form. The guys they move out are expirings in 2020, while Gordon goes until 2021, which is when CJ and Damian are FA as well. They take on his huge salary, but are in a position in 2021 to rebuild or go after FA if he doesnt work out. Additionally, they are pretty maxed out and a roll-of-the-dice type move like this is their only way forward. It also saves them 5.59M this offseason, helping them resign some of their many FA. They resign Seth Curry, Rodney Hood, Enes Kanter, Jake Layman and draft Goga Bitadze.

PG - Damian Lillard / Seth Curry
SG - CJ McCollum / Rodney Hood / Anferne Simons
SF - Jake Layman / Rodney Hood / Gary Trent Jr
PF - Gordon Hayward / Zach Collins / Skal Labissiere
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Enes Kanter / Goga Bitadze / Guerschon Yabusele
PELICANSFAN
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Re: Boston / New Orleans / Portland 

Post#2 » by PELICANSFAN » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:39 pm

I know it may sound weird, but I do not think it is enough for AD. The Memphis pick from Boston is not even included nor are Brown or Smart. Leonard and Turner do nothing for the Pelicans. Hill is an EC as well, so why go through all of this trouble for more ECs and no valuable assets? Non-lottery 1sts and a group of 2nds does not really swing the value.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,941

Post#3 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Portland would need to attach a first.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,546

Post#4 » by Myth » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:Portland would need to attach a first.

Portland is not attaching a 1st to get rid of 3 expiring contracts to land an extra year of $34M of Hayward who does not in any way look like the player he once was.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,478

Post#5 » by Jon1798 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:32 pm

PELICANSFAN wrote:I know it may sound weird, but I do not think it is enough for AD. The Memphis pick from Boston is not even included nor are Brown or Smart. Leonard and Turner do nothing for the Pelicans. Hill is an EC as well, so why go through all of this trouble for more ECs and no valuable assets? Non-lottery 1sts and a group of 2nds does not really swing the value.

I agree completely. Remember the Pels added FIVE second round picks at the trade deadline. There is no need to add any more. I love Jason Tatum, but we might as well take the Lakers picks and players at this point. Much less any other possible offers.

For me, the win is Tatum, Smart, Grizz and King’s picks. I don’t need four picks, Celtics can keep Brown and I’m sure move money to keep their needed vets. But that’s the base deal I go home feeling we both win with.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,172

Post#6 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Myth wrote:

Portland is not attaching a 1st to get rid of 3 expiring contracts to land an extra year of $34M of Hayward who does not in any way look like the player he once was.

Lol, my first thought was that Danny Ainge would demand a first (at least, maybe 2) and that could be a dealbreaker for us.

Its not super far off though, so it wouldn't be unthinkable to add Simons or a FRP. I can see taking a risk on Hayward, first year back for players from a significant injury can be rough but he is smart and skilled enough to adjust.

This trade also cuts 5+ million salary next year (more if we swap Yabusele for a smaller contract, only need like 1 million in additional salary) which could really help us retain Aminu - so it actually makes some financial sense as well.
Myth
General Manager

Post#7 » by Myth » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:22 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Myth wrote:

Lol, my first thought was that Danny Ainge would demand a first (at least, maybe 2) and that could be a dealbreaker for us.

Its not super far off though, so it wouldn't be unthinkable to add Simons or a FRP. I can see taking a risk on Hayward, first year back for players from a significant injury can be rough but he is smart and skilled enough to adjust.

This trade also cuts 5+ million salary next year (more if we swap Yabusele for a smaller contract, only need like 1 million in additional salary) which could really help us retain Aminu - so it actually makes some financial sense as well.

There is cheaper ways of cutting costs if we need to do that to keep Aminu. Giving away a 1st rounder to save $5M now and take on $34M is not the way to go IMO. I guess I have less confidence in Hayward returning to form than others. Given his defensive liabilities, I'm not convinced he is currently better than Evan Turner, and he has had over 50 games to regain form, and I'm just not seeing enough to convince me that risk is worth it. I'm hesitant to do the deal straight up for salary reasons but would maybe risk it, so I really don't want Portland adding a first. Portland has wanted to shed dead weight salary for years and people proposed attaching a 1st to do it, and now we are going to add a 1st to potentially take on more dead weight salary? I'm not a fan.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#8 » by Soulyss » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:31 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Myth wrote:

Portland should not be adding assets in this deal, the Risk/Reward of Hayward vs Expiring contracts is PLENTY

I think the Celtics will need to cough up that Grizzly's pick to get the deal done, possibly instead of their own 1st... I think the deal is close.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,172

Post#9 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Myth wrote:There is cheaper ways of cutting costs if we need to do that to keep Aminu. Giving away a 1st rounder to save $5M now and take on $34M is not the way to go IMO. I guess I have less confidence in Hayward returning to form than others. Given his defensive liabilities, I'm not convinced he is currently better than Evan Turner, and he has had over 50 games to regain form, and I'm just not seeing enough to convince me that risk is worth it. I'm hesitant to do the deal straight up for salary reasons but would maybe risk it, so I really don't want Portland adding a first. Portland has wanted to shed dead weight salary for years and people proposed attaching a 1st to do it, and now we are going to add a 1st to potentially take on more dead weight salary? I'm not a fan.

Soulyss wrote:Portland should not be adding assets in this deal, the Risk/Reward of Hayward vs Expiring contracts is PLENTY

I think the Celtics will need to cough up that Grizzly's pick to get the deal done, possibly instead of their own 1st... I think the deal is close.

I think the deal without the first is close. If the medical doctors prognosis is very bleak it definitely would be a deal breaker. If the prognosis is he is recovering and not back to 100%, then it may not be a deal breaker. At the same time, if that is the case it may be that Hayward is not available for that price. Such is the nature of trades.

2019 isn't looking as deep as some other drafts and I'm not seeing the need for more role player level talent on this squad, so the chance to potentially get another star without giving up Lillard/McCollum/Nurkic while also being able to resign Aminu without going into the luxury tax is not a terrible risk to take.

I haven't really looked at the numbers or who is available but allowing Harkless/Leonard/Meyers to expire may give us a shot a free agent - which we haven't had great luck with, but that is my bias saying the opportunity cost is low.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#10 » by Soulyss » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:54 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Myth wrote:There is cheaper ways of cutting costs if we need to do that to keep Aminu. Giving away a 1st rounder to save $5M now and take on $34M is not the way to go IMO. I guess I have less confidence in Hayward returning to form than others. Given his defensive liabilities, I'm not convinced he is currently better than Evan Turner, and he has had over 50 games to regain form, and I'm just not seeing enough to convince me that risk is worth it. I'm hesitant to do the deal straight up for salary reasons but would maybe risk it, so I really don't want Portland adding a first. Portland has wanted to shed dead weight salary for years and people proposed attaching a 1st to do it, and now we are going to add a 1st to potentially take on more dead weight salary? I'm not a fan.

Soulyss wrote:Portland should not be adding assets in this deal, the Risk/Reward of Hayward vs Expiring contracts is PLENTY

I think the deal without the first is close. If the medical doctors prognosis is very bleak it definitely would be a deal breaker. If the prognosis is he is recovering and not back to 100%, then it may not be a deal breaker. At the same time, if that is the case it may be that Hayward is not available for that price. Such is the nature of trades.

2019 isn't looking as deep as some other drafts and I'm not seeing the need for more role player level talent on this squad, so the chance to potentially get another star without giving up Lillard/McCollum/Nurkic while also being able to resign Aminu without going into the luxury tax is not a terrible risk to take.

I haven't really looked at the numbers or who is available but allowing Harkless/Leonard/Meyers to expire may give us a shot a free agent - which we haven't had great luck with, but that is my bias saying the opportunity cost is low.

I agree with the Philosophy of using those contracts to land a player rather than try cap-space again. Hayward... The trends on his numbers look encouraging, as Feb has been his best month by far. But it's still a pretty significant risk.

I agree that the secondary outcome of a deal like this is that Aminu should be re-signable which is a good thing, Portland having a rotation of:

Dame / ? / Simons
CJ / ? / Trent Jr.
Hayward / Layman
Aminu / Yabusele / Skal
Nurkic / Collins

You are pretty light at the PF/Center as you have no Backup SG/PG... So your depth takes a pretty significant hit. If you resign hood to play rotation minutes alongside Dame/CJ while either man the point...maybe that works... Erf...
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Post#11 » by Lovetron Joe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:58 pm

The Boston assets going out for Davis are less than they appear. While Tatum is good, in many ways he has regressed since his rookie year. Hayward has the potential to be one of the worst contracts in the league. The best of their first round picks (Memphis) is not included. Odds are that the Sac pick will be out of the lottery (in a weak 2019 draft) based upon how they have been trending versus the competition for the last playoff spot. The LAC pick is protected 1-14. The Boston 1st will be toward the end of the 1st round. The Boston 2nds have minimal value.

In summary, the Celtics are trading a sold prospect in Tatum, a potentially horrid contract in Hayward and a several lowly valued draft choices for an MVP quality player in Anthony Davis. NO will receive far better offers.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#12 » by Vae Victus » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 pm

NOP easily passes

No MEM FRP or Brown, thus no point continuing the conversation.

POR also easily passes. No reason for them to roll the dice on Hayward's future without incentive coming their way. Maybe if Hayward finishes the season strong and has a good playoffs the calculus changes, but as of now, no,

NOP isnt gonna give up value in assets to get rid of Hill. Getting rid of Hill is a luxury, but not one theyre gonna lose asset value over (IE MEM FRP). NOP can easily and happily ride out the rest of Hill's contract since its not like theyre gonna use their cap space on anyone good anyway.

NOP is gonna hold firm on the baseline incoming assets of Tatum, MEM FRP. SAC FRP, LAC FRP (although decent odds itll be future SRP unless Logo hits jackpot in FA in which case it's a mere late FRP). Anything less than this is an immediate hangup. NOP should also be willing to eat Hayward if it gets em 3 BOS unprot FRP, while throwing Hill back at BOS (net savings of 53mil over 2 years for BOS which is NOT nothing with the lux bill thats staring them down). NOP can try to rehab Haywards value to flip in the future, or just eat his bad deal (if he cant recover) but pocket lots of future assets for the trouble, with luck BOS might implode badly in the post Kyrie/AD era and turn those FRPs into something nice. This lets BOS keep Brown as cheap needed depth at SF, and i think NOP might not be as interested due to his impending RFA status, and save lots of money to allocate to Kyrie, AD, and Brown (after he extends) long term, and not take too vicious of a lux tax hit short term when Horford activates his option (they can renogotiate but Horford is gonna get 20+ mil min no matter what).

Everyone knows the MINIMUM deal theyre getting from the Lakers is Ingram, Kuzma, Lonzo, Hart, 2 FRPs 2 FRP pick swaps. Maybe can get LAL to eat Hill if they whiff on FA, which is a bonus but impossible if LAL manages to sign a max FA. NOP aint gonna settle for anything less since the Lakers will so desperately want to form a new Big 3.

Hell i'm sure NOP is more than happy to eat trash deals from BOS or POR (if u wanna keep the 3way outline going) if it nets em more assets. I'm sure theyll eat Hayward if they get 3 future unprot FRP (or minor protections at best) and if POR wants to dump some salary, more incoming FRPs (pref in 2020 and beyond) are welcome.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,496

Post#13 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:54 pm

PELICANSFAN wrote:I know it may sound weird, but I do not think it is enough for AD. The Memphis pick from Boston is not even included nor are Brown or Smart. Leonard and Turner do nothing for the Pelicans. Hill is an EC as well, so why go through all of this trouble for more ECs and no valuable assets? Non-lottery 1sts and a group of 2nds does not really swing the value.

Agree, Boston needs to include one of Brown/Memphis pick. I also don't see he need to move away from Hayward, if he gets close to being back to 100% AD is more likely to resign.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,496

Post#14 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 am

Lovetron Joe wrote:The Boston assets going out for Davis are less than they appear. While Tatum is good, in many ways he has regressed since his rookie year. Hayward has the potential to be one of the worst contracts in the league. The best of their first round picks (Memphis) is not included. Odds are that the Sac pick will be out of the lottery (in a weak 2019 draft) based upon how they have been trending versus the competition for the last playoff spot. The LAC pick is protected 1-14. The Boston 1st will be toward the end of the 1st round. The Boston 2nds have minimal value.

In summary, the Celtics are trading a sold prospect in Tatum, a potentially horrid contract in Hayward and a several lowly valued draft choices for an MVP quality player in Anthony Davis. NO will receive far better offers.

:noway: Tatum has not regressed, the only thing that is down is his shooting efficiency, mostly in part because he thought he was Kobe and took a horrible amount of long twos to start the year. His assist, rebound, block, etc...%s are all up from last season and he still is a good defender. I don't see Hayward going out in a deal though he has a year and option left on his deal and has been playing more efficiently as of late. I agree that Boston needs to add either the Memphis pick or Brown(they'd prob want Williams too), but I doubt Sac gets that last playoff spot, Lebron will get his team together.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#15 » by pelifan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:11 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Lovetron Joe wrote:The Boston assets going out for Davis are less than they appear. While Tatum is good, in many ways he has regressed since his rookie year. Hayward has the potential to be one of the worst contracts in the league. The best of their first round picks (Memphis) is not included. Odds are that the Sac pick will be out of the lottery (in a weak 2019 draft) based upon how they have been trending versus the competition for the last playoff spot. The LAC pick is protected 1-14. The Boston 1st will be toward the end of the 1st round. The Boston 2nds have minimal value.

:noway: Tatum has not regressed, the only thing that is down is his shooting efficiency, mostly in part because he thought he was Kobe and took a horrible amount of long twos to start the year. His assist, rebound, block, etc...%s are all up from last season and he still is a good defender. I don't see Hayward going out in a deal though he has a year and option left on his deal and has been playing more efficiently as of late. I agree that Boston needs to add either the Memphis pick or Brown(they'd prob want Williams too), but I doubt Sac gets that last playoff spot, Lebron will get his team together.

Yea I dont know if regressed is the right word, but it doesnt look like he's seen great improvement. I'm not worried about him though. He's going through exactly what Donovan Mitchell is going through right now with scoring a little more but having efficiency go down and still having those games every now and then that remind you they are future all stars. Pretty common among young players who have to adjust to defenses game planning for them now.
expatbayern
Senior
And1: 213

Post#16 » by expatbayern » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Soulyss wrote:I agree with the Philosophy of using those contracts to land a player rather than try cap-space again. Hayward... The trends on his numbers look encouraging, as Feb has been his best month by far. But it's still a pretty significant risk.

I agree that the secondary outcome of a deal like this is that Aminu should be re-signable which is a good thing, Portland having a rotation of:

Dame / ? / Simons
CJ / ? / Trent Jr.
Hayward / Layman
Aminu / Yabusele / Skal
Nurkic / Collins

You are pretty light at the PF/Center as you have no Backup SG/PG... So your depth takes a pretty significant hit. If you resign hood to play rotation minutes alongside Dame/CJ while either man the point...maybe that works... Erf...

Yeah, I think the risk-reward on absorbing Hayward's deal is the sort of move the Blazers ought to be making to see if he could get back to form and help push them over the hump. The proposed lineup without Aminu and and with Hayward playing the 4 (and bringing back Kanter, etc.) looked like a nightmare on defense:
BlazersBroncos wrote:PG - Damian Lillard / Seth Curry
SG - CJ McCollum / Rodney Hood / Anferne Simons
SF - Jake Layman / Rodney Hood / Gary Trent Jr
PF - Gordon Hayward / Zach Collins / Skal Labissiere
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Enes Kanter / Goga Bitadze / Guerschon Yabusele

You'd basically be hoping Nurkic can defend 5 guys on his own.

I'd still be concerned about swapping out Harkless and Turner for Hayward on the defensive end, but at least if you could bring Aminu back (and maybe even run some super-sized Lillard/Hayward/Aminu/Collins/Nurkic-type lineups as a tactical change of pace) it wouldn't be a complete loss on that end.
Myth
General Manager

Post#17 » by Myth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:54 pm

pelifan wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Yea I dont know if regressed is the right word, but it doesnt look like he's seen great improvement. I'm not worried about him though. He's going through exactly what Donovan Mitchell is going through right now with scoring a little more but having efficiency go down and still having those games every now and then that remind you they are future all stars. Pretty common among young players who have to adjust to defenses game planning for them now.

I think he is doing a little better than last season, but a little worse than last playoffs. He really started making his presence known in the playoffs, and I think people were hoping for that level of impact for the course of this season.

Return to Trades and Transactions