Lowry to the Clippers

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, pacers33granger, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, Texas Chuck, HartfordWhalers

User avatar
Jim Todd Jr.
Pro Prospect
Posts: 854
And1: 769
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: TORONTO
     

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#21 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:56 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
Jim Todd Jr. wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:Don't like it for the Clippers.

Beverly is near Lowrys impact with Kawhi/PG on the court. Clippers need to use their assets elsewhere


LOL nah bruh


Great analysis.

Advanced stats indicate Beverly is 80-85% of Lowry except for passing.

It's not worth spending literally every asset they have left for a minor upgrade when they could target a good PF or another wing


Saying lowry isnt worth the money / assets is one thing.

Comparing a 5 time all star and NBA champ to a defensive specialist journeyman is another. Not knocking Beverley but Lowry is a special player man. He has lead us to 50+ wins 5 straight years.
Chips with the dip baybeeee.
Cklbmk
General Manager
Posts: 8,482
And1: 1,880
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
     

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#22 » by Cklbmk » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:07 pm

Jim Todd Jr. wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
Jim Todd Jr. wrote:
LOL nah bruh


Great analysis.

Advanced stats indicate Beverly is 80-85% of Lowry except for passing.

It's not worth spending literally every asset they have left for a minor upgrade when they could target a good PF or another wing


Saying lowry isnt worth the money / assets is one thing.

Comparing a 5 time all star and NBA champ to a defensive specialist journeyman is another. Not knocking Beverley but Lowry is a special player man. He has lead us to 50+ wins 5 straight years.


And now he's about to turn 34 and winding down his career. His stats and metrics have been in decline for 2 years. His offense advanced stats are down 10% compared to 2 years ago, his counting stats are down25%, his per 36 are down 33%, his turnover % is 5% higher, his winshares are down 33%, his BPM is down 55%, his vorp is down 40%.

People get old. It's not a knock on what he once was. It's just what he is now isn't that much better than Beverley.
jimmy keys
Veteran
Posts: 2,745
And1: 1,368
Joined: Jan 04, 2009
 

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#23 » by jimmy keys » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:49 am

Cklbmk wrote:
Jim Todd Jr. wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
Great analysis.

Advanced stats indicate Beverly is 80-85% of Lowry except for passing.

It's not worth spending literally every asset they have left for a minor upgrade when they could target a good PF or another wing


Saying lowry isnt worth the money / assets is one thing.

Comparing a 5 time all star and NBA champ to a defensive specialist journeyman is another. Not knocking Beverley but Lowry is a special player man. He has lead us to 50+ wins 5 straight years.


And now he's about to turn 34 and winding down his career. His stats and metrics have been in decline for 2 years. His offense advanced stats are down 10% compared to 2 years ago, his counting stats are down25%, his per 36 are down 33%, his turnover % is 5% higher, his winshares are down 33%, his BPM is down 55%, his vorp is down 40%.

People get old. It's not a knock on what he once was. It's just what he is now isn't that much better than Beverley.


He's still significantly better than Beverly, but who cares because Gasol is the player that would really make a difference in LA.

Beverly
George
Leonard
Harrell
Gasol


That starting lineup is deadly. Gasol can be the main facilitator and interior defender. Right now they don't have anyone who can stop/limit a guy like Davis or Jokic.
21 TD
Junior
Posts: 258
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 12, 2019
 

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#24 » by 21 TD » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Swap Shamet for Robinson and the value is fine, but even with the Clippers lack of play making, with already 3 featured perimeter players in tow, they'd be better off keeping the knockdown shooter.

If they make an in season trade or signing, it should be to shore up the interior.

jimmy keys wrote:The Clippers have to go all in on the next two years, it'll be interesting to see what they do. No way they don't make a major deal before the deadline.

He's still significantly better than Beverly, but who cares because Gasol is the player that would really make a difference in LA.

Beverly
George
Leonard
Harrell
Gasol

That starting lineup is deadly. Gasol can be the main facilitator and interior defender. Right now they don't have anyone who can stop/limit a guy like Davis or Jokic.


Nah, Scumbag and George are where they want to be. The former signed for the opt out after 2 years because he'll 1) Likely get more money in the long run and 2) He'll maximize his leverage over the franchise.

Davis would shred Gasol off the dribble (despite not being on a contender, Aldridge is a better example), but Gasol would be a nice fit because he can provide some needed play making, while also allowing Harrell to defend his more natural PF occasionally.

mademan wrote:Robinson isnt a good prospect. He's a guy you take a flier on, not move a star level player for (even if aging). Harrell can be had in FA if the raps want him bad enough, though i fail to see where he fits with Siakam. Neither can really play C or SF long term.


Harrell is a C in a PF's body. Unless paired with a floor spacing rim protector, who can allow him to guard his more natural position (Kabengele might grow into this), he has to defend C's.
User avatar
Jim Todd Jr.
Pro Prospect
Posts: 854
And1: 769
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: TORONTO
     

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#25 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:18 am

Cklbmk wrote:
Jim Todd Jr. wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
Great analysis.

Advanced stats indicate Beverly is 80-85% of Lowry except for passing.

It's not worth spending literally every asset they have left for a minor upgrade when they could target a good PF or another wing


Saying lowry isnt worth the money / assets is one thing.

Comparing a 5 time all star and NBA champ to a defensive specialist journeyman is another. Not knocking Beverley but Lowry is a special player man. He has lead us to 50+ wins 5 straight years.


And now he's about to turn 34 and winding down his career. His stats and metrics have been in decline for 2 years. His offense advanced stats are down 10% compared to 2 years ago, his counting stats are down25%, his per 36 are down 33%, his turnover % is 5% higher, his winshares are down 33%, his BPM is down 55%, his vorp is down 40%.

People get old. It's not a knock on what he once was. It's just what he is now isn't that much better than Beverley.


Chips with the dip baybeeee.
User avatar
SK21209
Starter
Posts: 2,189
And1: 2,341
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
   

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#26 » by SK21209 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Lowry would be an awesome fit with the team but I'm not sure why Toronto would want to take on Beverly.
jimmy keys
Veteran
Posts: 2,745
And1: 1,368
Joined: Jan 04, 2009
 

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#27 » by jimmy keys » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:58 pm

SK21209 wrote:Lowry would be an awesome fit with the team but I'm not sure why Toronto would want to take on Beverly.


Because Shamet would also be attached. They can always ship Beverly to another team, he has positive value.

Lowry for Beverly, Harkless & Shamet. Sign me up.
Resistance
Analyst
Posts: 3,689
And1: 1,110
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#28 » by Resistance » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:17 pm

jimmy keys wrote:
SK21209 wrote:Lowry would be an awesome fit with the team but I'm not sure why Toronto would want to take on Beverly.


Because Shamet would also be attached. They can always ship Beverly to another team, he has positive value.

Lowry for Beverly, Harkless & Shamet. Sign me up.



Is that a legal trade?
jimmy keys
Veteran
Posts: 2,745
And1: 1,368
Joined: Jan 04, 2009
 

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#29 » by jimmy keys » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Resistance wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
SK21209 wrote:Lowry would be an awesome fit with the team but I'm not sure why Toronto would want to take on Beverly.


Because Shamet would also be attached. They can always ship Beverly to another team, he has positive value.

Lowry for Beverly, Harkless & Shamet. Sign me up.



Is that a legal trade?


No they have to wait until January 15th to deal Beverly + LA would have to send out $28 million to make the deal work because of the luxury tax threshold. So they'd need to add another player worth roughly $2.5 mil.
User avatar
SK21209
Starter
Posts: 2,189
And1: 2,341
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
   

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#30 » by SK21209 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:36 pm

jimmy keys wrote:
Resistance wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
Because Shamet would also be attached. They can always ship Beverly to another team, he has positive value.

Lowry for Beverly, Harkless & Shamet. Sign me up.



Is that a legal trade?



No they have to wait until January 15th to deal Beverly + LA would have to send out $28 million to make the deal work because of the luxury tax threshold. So they'd need to add another player worth roughly $2.5 mil.


No way I’d trade Shamet for Lowry and I doubt the Clippers would either. Obviously Lowry is a better player right now but Shamet is crucial to this team and the rotation starts to look real thin if you trade all three of those guys for Lowry.
jimmy keys
Veteran
Posts: 2,745
And1: 1,368
Joined: Jan 04, 2009
 

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#31 » by jimmy keys » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 pm

SK21209 wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Is that a legal trade?



No they have to wait until January 15th to deal Beverly + LA would have to send out $28 million to make the deal work because of the luxury tax threshold. So they'd need to add another player worth roughly $2.5 mil.


No way I’d trade Shamet for Lowry and I doubt the Clippers would either. Obviously Lowry is a better player right now but Shamet is crucial to this team and the rotation starts to look real thin if you trade all three of those guys for Lowry.


Yea I see where you're coming from. I still think the Clippers are a trade away though. It'll be interesting to see what moves they do make before the deadline. Shamet is probably the starting PG in the near future.
dalton749
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,394
And1: 3,833
Joined: May 12, 2015

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#32 » by dalton749 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:54 am

SK21209 wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Is that a legal trade?



No they have to wait until January 15th to deal Beverly + LA would have to send out $28 million to make the deal work because of the luxury tax threshold. So they'd need to add another player worth roughly $2.5 mil.


No way I’d trade Shamet for Lowry and I doubt the Clippers would either. Obviously Lowry is a better player right now but Shamet is crucial to this team and the rotation starts to look real thin if you trade all three of those guys for Lowry.


Lowry is a very good shooter too and knows how to win and run a team. If Lowry is on the clips as well I’d be throwing a ton of money on them to win this year. I wouldn’t worry about the rotation because they would just clean up the buyout market.
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 19,466
And1: 5,512
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#33 » by TheNewEra » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:56 am

Trading Beverly would kill team chemistry
User avatar
bigmean
Analyst
Posts: 3,736
And1: 128
Joined: Nov 19, 2001
Location: Yardley, Pa

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#34 » by bigmean » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:34 am

Would rather go iguodala for harkless and robinson
hoosierdaddy34
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,408
And1: 838
Joined: Dec 05, 2016
 

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#35 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:26 am

I think the Clippers do it because they are all in and add a very needed playmaking pg.

Toronto probably doesn’t but should. Get a young player plus some serviceable dudes. They aren’t competing for a title this year and should get something for Lowry now.
Ell Curry
Starter
Posts: 2,232
And1: 402
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
Location: Newfoundland

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#36 » by Ell Curry » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
Jim Todd Jr. wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
Great analysis.

Advanced stats indicate Beverly is 80-85% of Lowry except for passing.

It's not worth spending literally every asset they have left for a minor upgrade when they could target a good PF or another wing


Saying lowry isnt worth the money / assets is one thing.

Comparing a 5 time all star and NBA champ to a defensive specialist journeyman is another. Not knocking Beverley but Lowry is a special player man. He has lead us to 50+ wins 5 straight years.


And now he's about to turn 34 and winding down his career. His stats and metrics have been in decline for 2 years. His offense advanced stats are down 10% compared to 2 years ago, his counting stats are down25%, his per 36 are down 33%, his turnover % is 5% higher, his winshares are down 33%, his BPM is down 55%, his vorp is down 40%.

People get old. It's not a knock on what he once was. It's just what he is now isn't that much better than Beverley.


That's great and all, but the Raps wouldn't have won the title if Lowry was as mediocre a playmaker Beverly is and the Clippers are very, very likely going to end up in a playoff series where Lou can't defend and Beverly isn't giving them enough on offence and they need a better 2 way guard to round out the Shamet-Kawhi-George-Big lineup. Doesn't have to be Lowry obviously, but 3 tough West series and then Philly/Milwaukee, if they don't make a move for a creator who can play D, there's a better than not chance they'll be staring at some 2-1 or 3-2 deficit wishing they had.

Though the way Kawhi started passing the ball in the playoffs and seems to be trying to this preseason, hell, maybe he can become a 6-7 assist guy and the lead playmaker with George in his typical #2 role.

It really does rule that there's like 10 teams that could win the title. The Warriors not feeling like the de-facto champion certainly makes the league more interesting, even if the extent to which they were locks was always overstated since injuries exist and their players had more miles on them than their ages suggested. **** Kevin Durant I suppose is my point!
Where's the D?
User avatar
QRich3
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 5,674
And1: 3,770
Joined: Apr 03, 2011
 

Re: Lowry to the Clippers 

Post#37 » by QRich3 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:11 pm

The Clippers had a top-10 offense last season, and had a 112.3 offensive rating in the playoffs against the Warriors (which would also be a top 10 regular season offense), that's with Gallinari and half a season of Tobias Harris being the main playmakers of that team, other than Lou and Beverly. Doc is a good enough offensive coach that I don't think playmaking is gonna be an issue, neither in the RS or the postseason.

So while having better playmaking is always a good thing, with interior defense being a bigger problem and with the lack of future assets that can help you change the make up of the team a year or two down the line, it's gonna be unlikely for them to spend a lot of resources in a PG.

Return to Trades and Transactions