Can OKC move up?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Re: Can OKC move up? 

Post#21 » by Bruin » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:03 am

zimpy27 wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
He's not an established star. He's been down from the playoffs last season. He's also paid more than his value shown this season. He's a very good player and a useful fit for a couple teams. But I can't see anyone giving up any top 5 pick this season for Siakam.

20-7-5 with great defense is a star in this league. He’s having a down year but that’s mostly just the entire Raptors struggling this year since they’re on the road all year.

If an All Star starter and All NBA 2nd team player who also was the 2nd option on a title team isn’t an established star then idk what is

Last year he might've been worth pick 1 for what it's worth. Different season and different draft.

Raptors have no reason to trade him though so unless it’s for a legit deal, he’s not moving. Definitely not for just the 5th pick
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#22 » by sonictecture » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:37 am

The psychology of trading future first rounders is interesting to me.

If a team is trading an established star they try to get 3-5 frp’s. They don’t know where those picks will end up, but do know it’s unlikely these picks will all become high lottery picks.

When we talk about trading up in the draft, multiple unknown picks are no longer as valuable. The prices rise to known high lottery picks.

Not every lottery pick pans out, not even first overall picks, but the perceived value of a next superstar is higher than actual stars.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#23 » by DroseReturnChi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:09 am

sonictecture wrote:The psychology of trading future first rounders is interesting to me.

If a team is trading an established star they try to get 3-5 frp’s. They don’t know where those picks will end up, but do know it’s unlikely these picks will all become high lottery picks.

When we talk about trading up in the draft, multiple unknown picks are no longer as valuable. The prices rise to known high lottery picks.

Not every lottery pick pans out, not even first overall picks, but the perceived value of a next superstar is higher than actual stars.

okc has quantity, 30+ picks. idc if its doncic, ad, zion in draft day. theoretically, all of those guys will be moved and chances are not all are extinguished to get a top pick. only lebron's cavs might say no bc everyone knew he was the next mj.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#24 » by sonictecture » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:12 am

Perhaps it’s important to make a distinction between players being traded due to various circumstance and a team/GM trading down in a draft by choice.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#25 » by cjmcallist » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:59 am

On the OP - to me, MIN or ORL are the only two potential teams of the top 5 that might be interested in some sort of swap.

TLDR: I could see Orlando swapping 3 & 8 for 5 & 6, but that's about it.

MIN seems to be willing to acquire more win-now players. I put ORL in there because I don't know how they feel about their current young guys, and they might be more eager to get two of the top 6 instead of just 1 in the top 6.

I think it really matters what the order is. For these purposes I'm assuming that HOU drops down but everything else stays chalk. Right now, OKC and CLE are basically tied for the 5th spot. It's possible that OKC ends up with 4 & 5 instead. But the OP was 5 & 6, so the order is:

1-MIN
2-DET
3-ORL
4-CLE
5-OKC (via HOU)
6-OKC
7-SAC
8-ORL (via CHI)

MIN: In this scenario, I don't know if MIN would move off of Cade, unless it was for SGA. But, I think it would require moving both 5 & 6 to get to no. 1. I could see a different scenario where OKC helps MIN acquire this offseasons disgruntled star using 5 or 6 and getting back no. 1. But, it's just so hard to get to the no. 1 pick. If MIN is at no. 2, maybe this gets much easier.

ORL: this is probably the most realistic. It's hard to know, but many teams might prefer 5 & 6 vs. 3 & 8 (or 3 & 9). A straight up swap of the two picks seems pretty fair. If ORL needs some additional incentive, OKC can always include a few SRPs to grease the wheels.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,501

Post#26 » by GoBobs » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:09 pm

I think they can likely move up, not to 1 or 2 but maybe as high as 3.

If Rockets keep their pick, maybe the okc pick and the future rockets picks for the current rockets picks. This way Houston can rebuild with all their future picks. Maybe some of the future late picks added would get okc even up to 1 or 2. Rockets need talent and depth.

Another team that needs depth is the Pistons. A bunch of late firsts could be valuable to Det.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Post#27 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:11 pm

GoBobs wrote:I think they can likely move up, not to 1 or 2 but maybe as high as 3.

If Rockets keep their pick, maybe the okc pick and the future rockets picks for the current rockets picks. This way Houston can rebuild with all their future picks. Maybe some of the future late picks added would get okc even up to 1 or 2. Rockets need talent and depth.

Another team that needs depth is the Pistons. A bunch of late firsts could be valuable to Det.

The Rockets idea is interesting. They get their future back in exchange for a lesser prospect this year
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#28 » by orlando_joe » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm

cjmcallist wrote:On the OP - to me, MIN or ORL are the only two potential teams of the top 5 that might be interested in some sort of swap.

MIN seems to be willing to acquire more win-now players. I put ORL in there because I don't know how they feel about their current young guys, and they might be more eager to get two of the top 6 instead of just 1 in the top 6.

I think it really matters what the order is. For these purposes I'm assuming that HOU drops down but everything else stays chalk. Right now, OKC and CLE are basically tied for the 5th spot. It's possible that OKC ends up with 4 & 5 instead. But the OP was 5 & 6, so the order is:

1-MIN
2-DET
3-ORL
4-CLE
5-OKC (via HOU)
6-OKC
7-SAC
8-ORL (via CHI)

MIN: In this scenario, I don't know if MIN would move off of Cade, unless it was for SGA. But, I think it would require moving both 5 & 6 to get to no. 1. I could see a different scenario where OKC helps MIN acquire this offseasons disgruntled star using 5 or 6 and getting back no. 1. But, it's just so hard to get to the no. 1 pick. If MIN is at no. 2, maybe this gets much easier.

ORL: this is probably the most realistic. It's hard to know, but many teams might prefer 5 & 6 vs. 3 & 8 (or 3 & 9). A straight up swap of the two picks seems pretty fair. If ORL needs some additional incentive, OKC can always include a few SRPs to grease the wheels.

if anything i could see magic try to move up not back..hope magic can get in top 3 then add to bulls pick and move up on that pick 3 and 5 would be nice. magic can add a few 2nds to grease the wheel...lol
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#29 » by cjmcallist » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:23 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:On the OP - to me, MIN or ORL are the only two potential teams of the top 5 that might be interested in some sort of swap.

if anything i could see magic try to move up not back..hope magic can get in top 3 then add to bulls pick and move up on that pick 3 and 5 would be nice. magic can add a few 2nds to grease the wheel...lol

Makes sense, that's what OKC would be looking to do too.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#30 » by Buzzard » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:What player are you after?

Cade, Mobley, or Suggs. I'm quite high on all three. Personally, Cade is the goal, but obviously the hardest to get to as well.

I think they can with all their draft capital; but it will be expensive. The top three in this draft is seen as just as strong as the Zion/Ja/Barret draft; and stronger than the Ayton/Bagley/Doncic draft.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#31 » by Bentley1225 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:52 pm

I look at it on the backend and assume Houston will keep its 1-4 protected pick

2021 OKC 1st
2021 Miami 1st
2021 Minnesota 2nd
2021 OKC 2nd
2021 Denver 2nd

I would package Miami 1st/Wolves 2nd plus take back a bad contract to try and get a 2nd lottery pick:

Example:

Bulls 1st + Garry Harris ($20 million expiring)
for
Heat 1st + Wolves 2nd
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#32 » by greenandgold » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Exactly. It may not be about moving up into the top 3. Most likely there will be consolidation of later picks to move up if the right player is there in the middle of the first round.

2020 example: Packaging 25 and 28 (and other stuff) to move to 17 for Poku (and other stuff).

I suspect Presti is looking hard at Alperen Segun later in the first round (age, potential, undervalued European).

Return to Trades and Transactions