What can the #4 pick get you on the open market?

Moderators: Mamba4Goat, Texas Chuck, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, pacers33granger, loserX, Trader_Joe

_MidNight_
RealGM
Posts: 10,453
And1: 5,590
Joined: May 12, 2007
 

What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#1 » by _MidNight_ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:21 pm

I'm trying to gauge the value of the number 4 pick in this years.

What do you think teams would offer if Toronto wanted to trade out of this years draft?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Posts: 24,019
And1: 5,776
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Location: South Florida
 

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:27 pm

Is your plan to resign Lowry and compete this year? What are you looking for?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
_MidNight_
RealGM
Posts: 10,453
And1: 5,590
Joined: May 12, 2007
 

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#3 » by _MidNight_ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:35 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Is your plan to resign Lowry and compete this year? What are you looking for?


Looking for something as close to a first option as possible. Someone on the OG timeline, 25 or younger.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Posts: 24,019
And1: 5,776
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Location: South Florida
 

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:37 pm

Sexton is probably your best bet then; there aren't a lot of 1st options under 25 out there on the market.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
DowJones
RealGM
Posts: 12,497
And1: 5,064
Joined: Feb 22, 2008

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#5 » by DowJones » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:47 pm

Ben Simmons
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 9,796
And1: 6,146
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#6 » by eminence » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 pm

Tough deal, aren't many 1st option sorts on the market, and most take a lot of salary to match up with.

I don't think either of the main squads I follow (Utah/GS) would have any serious offers to make.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17
hugepatsfan
Starter
Posts: 2,202
And1: 1,678
Joined: May 28, 2020
       

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#7 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 pm

_MidNight_ wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Is your plan to resign Lowry and compete this year? What are you looking for?


Looking for something as close to a first option as possible. Someone on the OG timeline, 25 or younger.


I don't think your timeline conditions make such a trade practical. A team trading their top option for a high pick like #4 makes sense, but generally speaking that would be a team trading an older player vs someone 25 or younger. Teams generally don't look to move #1 options that young though. And if there is a #1 option (or close proximity to it) under 25 that some team is willing to move, it's probably one with such glaring flaws and limitations that you wouldn't want to give up #4 for.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 30,548
And1: 2,344
Joined: Apr 27, 2005
   

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#8 » by gswhoops » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:59 pm

Brandon Ingram?
MoneyTalks41890
RealGM
Posts: 20,965
And1: 11,017
Joined: Oct 13, 2009
 

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:59 pm

4 is a good main piece for a trade. If you are willing to add, I think Beal or Towns are the best targets. Both are not technically available but I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them moved.
User avatar
PT416
Veteran
Posts: 2,960
And1: 4,712
Joined: Feb 01, 2012

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#10 » by PT416 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 pm

Jalen Suggs
Image
I literally eat poo
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 67,368
And1: 63,142
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: Purgatory
   

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Sexton is probably your best bet then; there aren't a lot of 1st options under 25 out there on the market.


Yep I had a trade where Toronto traded back to 8 and got Sexton and a future pick. Seems like the closest thing to what the OP is looking for and the value seems about right.

Most Raptors fans hate it and just want to stay in the top 4 and I totally get that before any of them get upset. Just trying to help the OP with his vision here.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 21,852
And1: 8,208
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 pm

3-way for Jamal Murray + ???
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 21,852
And1: 8,208
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Or Ingram + ????
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
_MidNight_
RealGM
Posts: 10,453
And1: 5,590
Joined: May 12, 2007
 

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#14 » by _MidNight_ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:06 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
_MidNight_ wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Is your plan to resign Lowry and compete this year? What are you looking for?


Looking for something as close to a first option as possible. Someone on the OG timeline, 25 or younger.


I don't think your timeline conditions make such a trade practical. A team trading their top option for a high pick like #4 makes sense, but generally speaking that would be a team trading an older player vs someone 25 or younger. Teams generally don't look to move #1 options that young though. And if there is a #1 option (or close proximity to it) under 25 that some team is willing to move, it's probably one with such glaring flaws and limitations that you wouldn't want to give up #4 for.


Fair points. What do you think Brown is worth in this draft?

I have Ingram around the value of the 4th pick in this draft.
_MidNight_
RealGM
Posts: 10,453
And1: 5,590
Joined: May 12, 2007
 

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#15 » by _MidNight_ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:08 pm

gswhoops wrote:Brandon Ingram?


I have him around that value as well..

Which of these players are valued higher than the 4th.

Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Booker, Mitchell, Towns, SGA, Murray.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 30,548
And1: 2,344
Joined: Apr 27, 2005
   

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#16 » by gswhoops » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 pm

_MidNight_ wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Brandon Ingram?


I have him around that value as well..

Which of these players are valued higher than the 4th.

Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Booker, Mitchell, Towns, SGA, Murray.

All but Ingram and Murray (because of injury)
Revenged25
Veteran
Posts: 2,791
And1: 917
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#17 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:23 pm

Are guys like Ingram/Brown really 1st options? Feel like they fit better at the 2nd/3rd option role.
tmorgan
General Manager
Posts: 9,144
And1: 4,062
Joined: Feb 04, 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
   

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#18 » by tmorgan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:24 pm

Yeah, other than Ingram and injured Murray, the next lowest trade value on that list is either Brown or Booker, and I highly doubt either franchise would be remotely interested in moving them for Suggs, Barnes, or Kuminga.
tmorgan
General Manager
Posts: 9,144
And1: 4,062
Joined: Feb 04, 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
   

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#19 » by tmorgan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:28 pm

And as for “first option”, a whole lot of guys can be first options on a poor team. Jerami Grant is currently a “first option”. Booker did for a while on a poor team. Lavine does the same. Vuc in Orlando.

Legit first options good enough to evelate a franchise? There are very few of those, and #4 isn’t going to get you close.
PhillyNj
Pro Prospect
Posts: 961
And1: 242
Joined: Jul 21, 2010

Re: What can the #4 pick get you on the open market? 

Post#20 » by PhillyNj » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:30 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:4 is a good main piece for a trade. If you are willing to add, I think Beal or Towns are the best targets. Both are not technically available but I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them moved.

4 doesn’t even get you in the conversation for Beal or towns. Better lower your expectations.
Honestly your better off just using the 4 pick. Your not going to get a #1 or # 2 option for the 4 pick.

Return to Trades and Transactions