Bjelica officially pulled a DeAndre Jordan, Bjelica to Kings (Shams)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Re: [Update]Bjelica talking deal with Kings 

Post#121 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:32 pm

There's some asymmetry here between players and teams regarding verbal agreements. The reputation hit for a team reneging on a deal makes it virtually unthinkable (though that only seems to apply to FAs - TOR telling DD he won't be traded, then trading him anyway, seems to be fair game). Whereas for players, someone like DeAndre could very publicly spurn the Mavs, then the Mavs ended up signing him anyway a few years later as if nothing happened.

It's not nice and I don't think highly of players who do this, but at the same time people do make mistakes and stuff like this seem to be isolated events. I won't be surprised if there are no real repercussions.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,513

Post#122 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:32 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
You would be okay with Philly saying we don’t want to sign you anymore after agreeing to a deal?

I mean its a business. Both parties have to do whats in their best interest. If their best interests align, then great. I would figure a team reneging on a deal would have much bigger repercussions than a player reneging on a deal.

I'm really not losing any sleep over this but if Philly verbally agreed to pay a player X and the player agreed to wait to sign the contract until Philly did some other moves, and then Philly tells the player later, actually we found a better use of that money, good luck finding a deal now that everyone has spent their space, it'd be a dirty move and should be called as such. Everyone has to do what's in their best interest but I'd suggest getting a reputation that your word cannot be trusted is in no one's best interest.

I agree its a dirty move. My point is more so that Bjelica shouldn't choose a 50 percent pay cut to protect an intangible reputation over his family. Comparing a player reneging vs a team is a bit different. A team reneging a offer and likely would never sign a key FA again. A player reneg an offer and just goes signs with another team. Teams have much greater risk of reneging offers than players.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#123 » by BullyKing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:I mean its a business. Both parties have to do whats in their best interest. If their best interests align, then great. I would figure a team reneging on a deal would have much bigger repercussions than a player reneging on a deal.

I'm really not losing any sleep over this but if Philly verbally agreed to pay a player X and the player agreed to wait to sign the contract until Philly did some other moves, and then Philly tells the player later, actually we found a better use of that money, good luck finding a deal now that everyone has spent their space, it'd be a dirty move and should be called as such. Everyone has to do what's in their best interest but I'd suggest getting a reputation that your word cannot be trusted is in no one's best interest.

I agree its a dirty move. My point is more so that Bjelica shouldn't choose a 50 percent pay cut to protect an intangible reputation over his family. Comparing a player reneging vs a team is a bit different. A team reneging a offer and likely would never sign a key FA again. A player reneg an offer and just goes signs with another team. Teams have much greater risk of reneging offers than players.

For sure. The reputation hit for Bjelica is small because he's probably got one or two more NBA contracts in his life to obtain so whatever. So I agree that its equally dirty but the repercussions on a player are less.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,675

Post#124 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:50 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:There's some asymmetry here between players and teams regarding verbal agreements. The reputation hit for a team reneging on a deal makes it virtually unthinkable (though that only seems to apply to FAs - TOR telling DD he won't be traded, then trading him anyway, seems to be fair game). Whereas for players, someone like DeAndre could very publicly spurn the Mavs, then the Mavs ended up signing him anyway a few years later as if nothing happened.

It's not nice and I don't think highly of players who do this, but at the same time people do make mistakes and stuff like this seem to be isolated events. I won't be surprised if there are no real repercussions.

The real difference imo is the insulation a player can have by blaming it on an agent and changing agents. Even when a team changes personnel, the activity remains attributed to the team.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#125 » by City of Trees » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 am

Kings money was probably always there, right?

Seems weird he figures this out after commiting to Philly.

Thats the part I cant wrap my brain around.

Edit: completely forgot about Lavine. Its been a long day.

Return to Trades and Transactions