Woj and Shams: Chris Paul to Phoenix

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Paul poll

Sun up: Phoenix wins, getting the star they've long coveted, a perfect fit for a team on the rise.
5%
Thunder rolls: OKC wins, getting out of a massive contract for flippable pieces and a future pick too
45%
Sunset flip: both teams win. Phoenix gets their "dollar", OKC gets some nice quarters...and save dollars.
50%
Beyond Thunderdome: both teams lose. Suns give up good pieces but take on a huge contract and only get to the middle; Thunder could have at least waited to see if more desperate offers rolled in.
No votes

Total votes: 113

DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,323

Re: Woj and Shams: Chris Paul to Phoenix 

Post#121 » by DirtyDez » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:49 am

I’m not overreacting to a pick that might backfire in 4-5 years until it actually backfires.

Until then my biggest winner in this deal Is Ayton unless he’s such a beta that CP3 makes him turtle. Amare got Nash in his third season and he was a top-10 player. Let’s see.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,804

Post#122 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:52 am

DirtyDez wrote: Amare got Nash in his third season and he was a top-10 player. Let’s see.

Paul and Ayton aren't going to be as symbiotic as Nash and Amare so I don't expect a similar burst based on Paul's arrival.

But if Ayton becomes a top 10 player next year the Suns are going to be an enormous problem for the league. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,078

Post#123 » by Crives » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:21 am

clippertown wrote:
sonictecture wrote:
clippertown wrote:I really hate this trade for Phoenix. It seems they do not understand that CP3 is a plodding, methodic guard that excels in a slower pace and only gets injured in a faster paced game. He also refuses to not have the ball in his hands to setup plays (of which he runs his own mostly) and as such, coaches are forced to adjust their style to CP3's speed limitations. Phoenix needs to run.

When CP3 was with the Clips and we had Blake / DJ, we were always screaming for the team to play faster. Now that we have Kawhi / George, the team is trying to play slower. I wish CP3 spent his time here with Kawhi. Phoenix will regret this move.

That is not the way Paul played last year w/ OKC. A slower pace, yes, but he shared the ball w/ SGA and Schroder, who both improved, while keeping Gallo and Adams happy.

OKC has a different lineup to PHX. In OKC, CP3 was training SGA and had confidence in Schroders ability to handle the ball as a facilitator. In PHX, CP3 is the only legit facilitator in the lineup. Booker will always try to score before passing. In OKC, they had limited offense and needed a lot of ball movement. In PHX, they are more of an ISO team with plenty of scoring already.

In addition, CP3 will look to shoot much more than Rubio and that can disrupt Bookers “beat me first” scoring mentality. If you force CP3 to become a catch and shoot player, then this becomes massive overpay.

Phx led the league in assists last year. They played a beautiful spurs system of basketball with a “.5 offense”, where you make a decision to pass, shoot or drive within .5 seconds of receiving to ball. That is not going to change, passing will actually get better with Oubre’s minutes getting eliminated.

I don’t mind having two of the best iso scorers when things slow down though.. not sure why you think that’s a problem.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,596

Post#124 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:32 am

Does Rubio/Oubre makes OKC a worst team next season?
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 941

Post#125 » by clippertown » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:31 am

Crives wrote:
clippertown wrote:
sonictecture wrote:That is not the way Paul played last year w/ OKC. A slower pace, yes, but he shared the ball w/ SGA and Schroder, who both improved, while keeping Gallo and Adams happy.

OKC has a different lineup to PHX. In OKC, CP3 was training SGA and had confidence in Schroders ability to handle the ball as a facilitator. In PHX, CP3 is the only legit facilitator in the lineup. Booker will always try to score before passing. In OKC, they had limited offense and needed a lot of ball movement. In PHX, they are more of an ISO team with plenty of scoring already.

In addition, CP3 will look to shoot much more than Rubio and that can disrupt Bookers “beat me first” scoring mentality. If you force CP3 to become a catch and shoot player, then this becomes massive overpay.

Phx led the league in assists last year. They played a beautiful spurs system of basketball with a “.5 offense”, where you make a decision to pass, shoot or drive within .5 seconds of receiving to ball. That is not going to change, passing will actually get better with Oubre’s minutes getting eliminated.

I don’t mind having two of the best iso scorers when things slow down though.. not sure why you think that’s a problem.

Its not a problem. CP3 will definitely improve the team under certain conditions, but he is not the facilitator Rubio is, especially when he is looking to score. I just don't see how he fits when the pace is fast. I also don't know if CP3 is willing to give up the ball in tight situations, whereas with Rubio, anybody can get the ball in closing moments. That was part of the Phoenix charm.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#126 » by phx#7 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:54 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Paul and Ayton aren't going to be as symbiotic as Nash and Amare so I don't expect a similar burst based on Paul's arrival.

But if Ayton becomes a top 10 player next year the Suns are going to be an enormous problem for the league. :D

I've seen other Suns fans pushing the same sentiment. Ayton does most things better than Amare, but he isn't close to Amare when it comes to attacking the rim and I don't see Paul who is much more conservative with the ball than Nash changing that.

I'd love to be proven wrong and watch Ayton go to the line 10 times a game while leading the league in and1s(provided he continues to improve defensively as well) the way Amare used to.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#127 » by Spin Move » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 am

After Chris Paul finshes the contract in 2 years the suns should have enough room to have a max salary slot afterwards. You look good for 2 years with Paul and attract his younger replacement as a FA after he goes.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,047

Post#128 » by Saberestar » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:39 pm

JimmyPlopper wrote:Think of the point guards now to have donned a Suns jersey:
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Penny Hardaway (even if he was there as a forward)
Chris Paul
Kevin Johnson
Stephon Marbury
Goran Dragic

That's pretty amazing

And Dennis Johnson.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,680

Post#129 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Spin Move wrote:After Chris Paul finshes the contract in 2 years the suns should have enough room to have a max salary slot afterwards. You look good for 2 years with Paul and attract his younger replacement as a FA after he goes.

Depends what happens with Ayton and Bridges, no? They are both RFAs that same offseason.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,680

Post#130 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:29 pm

BarbaGrizz wrote:Does Rubio/Oubre makes OKC a worst team next season?

Yes, but they won't be around long enough for us to find out.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,156

Post#131 » by Snakebites » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Saberestar wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:Think of the point guards now to have donned a Suns jersey:
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Penny Hardaway (even if he was there as a forward)
Chris Paul
Kevin Johnson
Stephon Marbury
Goran Dragic

That's pretty amazing

And Dennis Johnson.

They had Kidd, KJ, and Nash at the same time.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,596

Post#132 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:45 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
BarbaGrizz wrote:Does Rubio/Oubre makes OKC a worst team next season?

Yes, but they won't be around long enough for us to find out.

Your future looks absolutely bright. I'm jealous.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#133 » by Spin Move » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:12 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:After Chris Paul finshes the contract in 2 years the suns should have enough room to have a max salary slot afterwards. You look good for 2 years with Paul and attract his younger replacement as a FA after he goes.

Depends what happens with Ayton and Bridges, no? They are both RFAs that same offseason.

Ayton will get maxed I don't see Bridges demanding near max, could be wrong. So yes expect a space.
irfunk_
Freshman
And1: 66

Post#134 » by irfunk_ » Mon Dec 7, 2020 11:44 pm

I checked at here and espn’s trade machine that Rubio can still be moved so what if they get T.Young for him? Bulls wants a veteran guard if I’m remember correctly and starter 4 is needed by Wolves.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,261

Post#135 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Dec 7, 2020 11:50 pm

irfunk_ wrote:I checked at here and espn’s trade machine that Rubio can still be moved so what if they get T.Young for him? Bulls wants a veteran guard if I’m remember correctly and starter 4 is needed by Wolves.

Minnesota traded an expiring 4 for Rubio. I think they really acquired Rubio because they really want him. Trading him for a bit quite expiring 4 in Thad makes little sense, especially since Minnesota plays a unique 4 out type offense, so they’ll play more guards and wings than most teams and less big men.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,804

Post#136 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Dec 8, 2020 12:28 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
irfunk_ wrote:I checked at here and espn’s trade machine that Rubio can still be moved so what if they get T.Young for him? Bulls wants a veteran guard if I’m remember correctly and starter 4 is needed by Wolves.

Minnesota traded an expiring 4 for Rubio. I think they really acquired Rubio because they really want him. Trading him for a bit quite expiring 4 in Thad makes little sense, especially since Minnesota plays a unique 4 out type offense, so they’ll play more guards and wings than most teams and less big men.

I saw today that Josh Okogie is going to play PF for them. So that problem is clearly solved. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,895

Post#137 » by RiRuHoops » Tue Dec 8, 2020 1:09 am

come on, stop posting about stuff you clearly have zero clue about.

Return to Trades and Transactions