Rockets / Heat

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,965

Re: Rockets / Heat 

Post#21 » by K_chile22 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 3:19 am

ThaFranchize84 wrote:I believe that Whiteside's max next year is 20.5 and as a Heat fan I too would seriously consider this deal.

It's 25% of the cap next year which is predicted to be 89 mil (might be more) which is 22.25

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
D' Winner Within
Junior
And1: 10

Post#22 » by D' Winner Within » Sat Feb 6, 2016 3:28 am

Nice trade for both teams but Hassan Whiteside lover heat fans will not like this trade. Those heat fans who agreed on this trade will be considered by this idiotic whiteside fans as hassan hater.

Really nice trade for both teams. Good job!
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,476

Post#23 » by gom » Sat Feb 6, 2016 4:11 am

K_chile22 wrote:
ThaFranchize84 wrote:I believe that Whiteside's max next year is 20.5 and as a Heat fan I too would seriously consider this deal.

It's 25% of the cap next year which is predicted to be 89 mil (might be more) which is 22.25

Max salary is calculated with a different factor though. Here is the equation:

25% of 89000000 * (42.14/44.74) = $20,956,974

From CBAFAQ: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16 (footnote 2)

2 They use a different cap calculation to determine the maximum salaries, which is based on 42.14% of projected BRI rather than 44.74%. In 2005 the sides negotiated a different formula for setting the salary cap but not maximum salaries, so the two became decoupled, and this continued in the 2011 agreement. For this reason the maximum salaries are not actually 25%, 30% or 35% of the cap, and instead are a slightly lower amount. For example, even though the salary cap for 2011-12 is $58.044 million and 25% of this amount is $14.511 million, the 0-6 year maximum salary is actually $12,922,194. In addition, for 2012-13 a 5.8% increase in maximum salaries was agreed to, even though the salary cap stayed the same as 2011-12.

Anyway, what a funny trade. We drafted Marcus Thornton and had Patrick Beverly just a few years ago. I like all four of the Rockets players in the trade, so it is good value. We won't have money to resign Deng and McRoberts has been a disappointment.

Marcus Thornton is on a minimum deal. He can be signed in the off season by anyone.
Patrick Beverley is on a three year deal. This is solid value for a good defensive player that can also shoot. I also like his energetic play.
Sam Dekker is on a rookie deal and is interesting for his potential.
Deng can be signed by Houston in the off season.
I think we all agree that McRoberts is a negative contract.
Whiteside and Howard may both be rentals.

It looks favorable to Miami. But I disagree.

I'd rather have Whiteside than Howard at this stage for what they contribute. I'm also a fan of Dragic on the Heat.

With respect to finances, I don't think Goran's contract is bad in the context of the salary cap going up so high. Dragic is a smart player and next year (and beyond) worse players will be paid a lot more.

And, I would rather pay Whiteside $20.9M than Dwight, who will likely get a max too. Here are Dwight Howard's starting numbers:

35% of 89000000 (42.14/44.74) $29,339,763.08

That looks worse than Dragic's deal which is:

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/miami-heat/goran-dragic/

$14,783,000 (2015-6)
$15,891,725 (2016-7)
$17,000,450 (2017-8)
$18,109,175 (2018-9)
$19,217,900 (2019-20/player option)

Howard, if signed to a 4 year deal at max:

$29,339,763
$31,540,245
$33,905,764
$36,448,696

Do you see my point? It's a lot more than what Whiteside will be paid for an older player that is getting to the end of his prime.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#24 » by puppa bear » Sat Feb 6, 2016 5:44 am

red96 wrote:As for the deal in the OP, I think it has legs, but it needs to be reworked a tiny bit. Im not feeling Beverley part since Dragic is a big question mark.

Edit: After some cap and # crunching, I really dont like Dragic's contract. I'd much rather have Ariza & Beverley's production, especially when they're still cheaper even with combined salaries. Beverley and Dragic should be cut from the deal.

If there isn't a Beverly/Dragic swap in the trade then I think Heat pass. Dwight might be a better fit now (for the reasons BBallFreak suggested), but (as gom suggested) Dwight makes a lot more money & from a Heat POV that kills our FA. I think we're looking more towards 2017, but still, Beverly gives much better flexibility for the team spending almost $10m more on their C
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,454

Post#25 » by ThatBoyNick » Sat Feb 6, 2016 5:56 am

Nobody is offering Howard a max deal (per insider source on Rocket forum)

I think he gets 25 mill per tops.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#26 » by red96 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 6:00 am

puppa bear wrote:
red96 wrote:As for the deal in the OP, I think it has legs, but it needs to be reworked a tiny bit. Im not feeling Beverley part since Dragic is a big question mark.

Edit: After some cap and # crunching, I really dont like Dragic's contract. I'd much rather have Ariza & Beverley's production, especially when they're still cheaper even with combined salaries. Beverley and Dragic should be cut from the deal.

If there isn't a Beverly/Dragic swap in the trade then I think Heat pass. Dwight might be a better fit now (for the reasons BBallFreak suggested), but (as gom suggested) Dwight makes a lot more money & from a Heat POV that kills our FA. I think we're looking more towards 2017, but still, Beverly gives much better flexibility for the team spending almost $10m more on their C

The Heat gave Dragic his contract, they should deal with it. The Heat are already dumping McRoberts. I have 0 faith Dragic would fit next to Harden any better than Lawson and Lawson would still be on the team. :noway:

If not, let them decide between Whiteside and Wade this off-season. The Rockets still have plenty moves they could make for pg's. No need to overpay for someone else's mistake.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,943

Post#27 » by LarsV8 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 6:26 am

Hate it.

Dragic is on the downside of his career and is set to earn 20 million dollars four years from now.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#28 » by K_chile22 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 6:49 am

red96 wrote:The Heat gave Dragic his contract, they should deal with it. The Heat are already dumping McRoberts. I have 0 faith Dragic would fit next to Harden any better than Lawson and Lawson would still be on the team. :noway:

If not, let them decide between Whiteside and Wade this off-season. The Rockets still have plenty moves they could make for pg's. No need to overpay for someone else's mistake.

Yup. Even if they strike out on big names this summer I'm fine with retaining Dwight and getting a few good role players instead of Dragic and a question mark in Whiteside. He might be a better team player after getting paid (complaining about minutes, hunting for blocks vs being in good position, wanting to be featured in the offense more than he should) because he doesn't have to show he can play to get his max, OR he can do the opposite and say "I already got paid I can relax and just try to get as many blocks as I can no matter how that effects the defensive scheme" and not play hard. Both possible with someone with Whitesides character question marks.

puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#29 » by puppa bear » Sat Feb 6, 2016 8:23 am

red96 wrote:
puppa bear wrote:

The Heat gave Dragic his contract, they should deal with it. The Heat are already dumping McRoberts. I have 0 faith Dragic would fit next to Harden any better than Lawson and Lawson would still be on the team. :noway:

We don't have to decide between Wade & Whitwside. We just need to renounce all other FAs. We have the space to sign both, then fill gaps with vet min players for the year. Then in 2017 have almost $20m to spend in free agency
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#30 » by red96 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 1:54 pm

puppa bear wrote:
red96 wrote:
puppa bear wrote:If there isn't a Beverly/Dragic swap in the trade then I think Heat pass. Dwight might be a better fit now (for the reasons BBallFreak suggested), but (as gom suggested) Dwight makes a lot more money & from a Heat POV that kills our FA. I think we're looking more towards 2017, but still, Beverly gives much better flexibility for the team spending almost $10m more on their C

We don't have to decide between Wade & Whitwside. We just need to renounce all other FAs. We have the space to sign both, then fill gaps with vet min players for the year. Then in 2017 have almost $20m to spend in free agency
Maybe, but before before Wade and Whiteside are re-signed, it looks like the Heat will be paying $49.86m for Dragic, Bosh, McRoberts, J Winslow and Stokes. Wade's cap hold around $20m pushes it to $70+m. Wheres the capspace after Whiteside is signed for $21m putting the Heat at 91m (projected cap 89m)? The Heat would have to use some kind of asset(Heats 2020 1st :dontknow:) to move McRoberts 5m for nothing, renounce their entire team(Deng, Haslem, ect) minus Wade, re-sign Whiteside, and then fill the rest of the roster with (7-9) min salary guys. The Heat's FA would be dead regardless. Correct me if anything if said is inaccurate, but the Heat would decimated and a great deal worse than what they are now, and therefore wasting a whole year of an already aging Wade, Bosh, and, Dragic.

2016 roster
Whiteside/Min/Min
Bosh/Stokes/Min
Winslow/Min/Min
Wade/Min/Min
Dragic/Min

Isn't this roster the best case scenario? In 2017 the salary cap is projected to rise to $100m(11m more). How much will that really buy in that market? A bench player or 2? It may be years before the Heat could accumulate the amount of talent that they have this season and they aren't getting any younger. By the 2017 season, Bosh will be turning 34, Wade will be 36 before the half sesaon mark, and Dragic 32 near the end of that sesaon. The wrench in the Heat's machine is Dragic's underwhelming production. If he was producing like the borderline all-star he was supposed to have been, they wouldn't have a problem and they'd be competing with the Cavs for the East.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,123

Post#31 » by NBADraft2003 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 3:44 pm

People really haven't watched Dragic lately? Seriously, he turned that corner a while ago and I'd turn this down. I like Dwight but he's not what he used to be, I'd take that walking triple double though.
Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,868

Post#32 » by Paz » Sat Feb 6, 2016 10:59 pm

Lol. The HEAT are renouncing Wade's rights. I don't know what makes you think they won't. Wade knows he's not making $20m+. That's why he signed a 1 year $20m deal. He knows he's most likely gna get in where he fits in. Something like 3/$24m.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#33 » by K_chile22 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 11:26 pm

Paz wrote:Lol. The HEAT are renouncing Wade's rights. I don't know what makes you think they won't. Wade knows he's not making $20m+. That's why he signed a 1 year $20m deal. He knows he's most likely gna get in where he fits in. Something like 3/$24m.

Lol no way he takes 8 mil a year. He took a one year deal to take advantage of the cap spike. He already took his pay cuts he's looking for his last big, long contract

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,476

Post#34 » by gom » Sun Feb 7, 2016 1:47 am

K_chile22 wrote:
Paz wrote:Lol. The HEAT are renouncing Wade's rights. I don't know what makes you think they won't. Wade knows he's not making $20m+. That's why he signed a 1 year $20m deal. He knows he's most likely gna get in where he fits in. Something like 3/$24m.

Lol no way he takes 8 mil a year. He took a one year deal to take advantage of the cap spike. He already took his pay cuts he's looking for his last big, long contract

3/24 would be insulting. I can see him taking a 3/45 though. It's not a good deal for him the first year but he'll be 37 the last year of the contract and making $16.1M.

$13,929,193
$14,973,882
$16,096,925

∑ = $45,000,000

Wade wants to be on a competitive team. That's why he took a cut before. He can make 2/40 now on another team, but it would be a tough sell. a 3/45 contract gives the Heat plenty of room to assemble a team around him, so he will have help on the court. Dwyane is a really smart player, and he knows he can't get it done alone.

Plus he has great rapport with Micky & Pat. I'm confident they'll work out a deal. My suspicion is that everything has already been worked out beforehand - during the offseason last year. We'll know this summer. I hope it's not exciting! LOL
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
K_chile22
RealGM

Rockets / Heat 

Post#35 » by K_chile22 » Sun Feb 7, 2016 3:52 am

That makes way more sense. He will probably want a fourth year though

Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,276